Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist Abuse?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

BDI wrote: »
    It sets up a verbal joust,

A::::::You guys are still on donkeys
    B:::::::You guys are still committing genocide

Yeh. They don’t like that. The typical “funny” Englishman who likes to joke about the Irish, Scots, welsh, Spanish or whoever would go puce with rage if you piss on the British empire or attack Blighty.

That said I met very few of these sort in England myself.

Just out of curiousity. So far I know that a "group" who are on holiday together consists of one Irish person, one Englishman and an indeterminate number of unspecified nationality. How did this group get together?

I wonder if it was a tour group? What with there being a tour guide and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Just out of curiousity. So far I know that a "group" who are on holiday together consists of one Irish person, one Englishman and an indeterminate number of unspecified nationality. How did this group get together?

There is at least one Scotsman.
    They all went into a pub together.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It’s utter cowardice to wear that as a joke.

No it's funny as **** paddy Irish man in the British pub wearing his best balaclava

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Raconteuse wrote: »
    If things were generally piss-takey in the conversation, it would be different. But sounds like the guy was just being an obnoxious arsehole.

You can trust plenty of Irish people to downplay it though - look at the thread about the Irish character. Reams of Irish people going on about how sh1t Irish people are.

It wasn’t in a jokey setting though.

He was going on about the Ireland if Ireland earlier and I would not engage, so he kept trying to bring it up.

Tomorrow will be interesting!!

• Advertisement

I
    You can trust plenty of Irish people to downplay it though - look at the thread about the Irish character.

Don't cry.

Most Irish people have a sense of humour

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ask him how's brexit working out

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I wonder if it was a tour group? What with their being a tour guide and all.

If the six English are typical, they will be making jokes about incest in Norfolk, and how mean the Scots are.

If the six English are typical, they will be making jokes about incest in Norfolk, and how mean the Scots are.

Shocking stuff in 2019 !!!

I actually did got a balaclava joke when I cycled in London. I would wear a balaclava in the cold and that got the jokes from otherwise friendly colleagues when I came in. That was ok because I knew their nature.

But a stranger in a tour group is a different thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

anewme wrote:
    Racist abuse or not?

I don't think it's racist abuse myself.

If you listen to most boards users they will have you believe that a English white person can't be racist against a white Irish person because we are the same race. Both white. They use this to claim that they aren't racist against travellers because they are white.

Portsalon wrote: »
    The simple answer is that I wouldn't - but I'd have no problem in firing back a couple of cutting ripostes rather than indulging in a flounce.

Well I’m different.

Will add that the other English people are nice and don’t deserve to be insulted because of him.

I felt it better I left the table, as I would have said something in haste.

Panthro wrote: »
    Ask him how's brexit working out

They think it’s working out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I bet the offended people in this thread still joke about Leitrim and Cavan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

biko wrote: »
    I know I do, especially those Cavan bastards.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,597 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

- look at the thread about the Irish character. Reams of Irish people going on about how sh1t Irish people are.

And sensitive.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

biko wrote: »

There is not such place as Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Offer him to the car park, guaranteed he won't follow you out.

Nobody mention and JCBs and supermarkets

Tallaght might get offended !

NIMAN wrote: »

Made me laugh.

I most certainly will not!!!

He will think I’m offering him a favour!!

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

He might think it's his lucky night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You had right to say “I hope you and John Bull starve after brexit you ignor fcukin amos”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

anewme wrote:
    One English person in the group pipes up with..â€oh, are you not still all on donkeys?â€

I could make the same comment about Kerry people. It's would be a stupid ignorant comment but not racist.

On the grand scheme of things it's not that long ago that we were on donkeys. We were on donkeys in many parts of Ireland in the 60s and it wasn't uncommon to see the in the 70s. This was decades after the donkeys vanashed from most of England. This is why comments like this ring true to someone with little knowledge about Ireland. Believe it or not lots of people from other countries think that we believe in fairy's and leprechauns. Its not racist its ignorance

anewme wrote: »
    Made me laugh.

I most certainly will not!!!

He will think I’m offering him a favour!!

The modern way is to trick him into giving you his online contact details, and lots of people will offer to come round to his house to kill him and rape his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Gatling wrote: »
    Don't cry.

Most Irish people have a sense of humour
    You're the one who's crying. It wasn't a joke. Context.

But yeah lots of Irish people are indeed very self flagellating.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I could make the same comment about Kerry people. It's would be a stupid ignorant comment but not racist.

On the grand scheme of things it's not that long ago that we were on donkeys. We were on donkeys in many parts of Ireland in the 60s and it wasn't uncommon to see the in the 70s. This was decades after the donkeys vanashed from most of England. This is why comments like this ring true to someone with little knowledge about Ireland. Believe it or not lots of people from other countries think that we believe in fairy's and leprechauns. Its not racist its ignorance

But would you actually say that in Company to a person from Kerry that you never met before?

You're the one who's crying. It wasn't a joke. Context.

But yeah lots of Irish people are indeed very self flagellating.

You would probably have to pay good money to get someone else to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

To be honest your scumbags need a bit of cultural awareness, I sometimes get called a Paki bastard,yet I'm half Mexican,heh.

You're the one who's

Not recently registered and offended at someone's who's not offended .

• Advertisement

It sounds like the holiday to hell. With a "neighbour" from hell. People sometimes say holiday from hell. A holiday from hell would be a nice break.

Advertisement