Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

There will be probably more big punches landed in his wwe fights than his boxing fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Madness... Its cha ching time in America...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50022470

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I know it's a load of fake crap but what if Fury gets injured doing this BS? I am sick of modern boxers avoiding each other for years.
    Especially the so called big 3, Joshua should have told Hearn to get him the big fights or he was getting a different promoter now he's after getting beaten by Ruiz and the rematch is a mess.
    Fury was robbed against Wilder, he dominated that fight and now we have Wilder going around shouting like he's the king of the world even though he was totally shown up for the limited fighter he is.
    These guys have no interest in being the best, it's all a sham and the boxing public suffers. I would say boxers like Lewis and Holyfield have zero respect for these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I know it's a load of fake crap but what if Fury gets injured doing this BS? I am sick of modern boxers avoiding each other for years.

This is just about making a few quid and raising his profile while his cuts heal.
    Wilder has Ortiz next and AJ has Ruiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

True enough, those cuts were bad, he won't be boxing anytime soon.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Especially the so called big 3, Joshua should have told Hearn to get him the big fights or he was getting a different promoter now he's after getting beaten by Ruiz and the rematch is a mess.
    Fury was robbed against Wilder, he dominated that fight and now we have Wilder going around shouting like he's the king of the world even though he was totally shown up for the limited fighter he is.
    These guys have no interest in being the best, it's all a sham and the boxing public suffers. I would say boxers like Lewis and Holyfield have zero respect for these guys.

As limited as Wilder may be he still put Fury on his arse twice and fúck knows how he got up from the 2nd. I reckon Wilder wins the rematch if it ever happens, he'd be looking to drop Fury early this time now that he knows what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s horse**** that Fury dominated Wilder. He was competitive. That is it.

Loads rounds were neither man did anything of note on offense...

Wilder had Fury down twice, and the only decent shot in the whole fight was the shot that knocked Fury on his backside in rd 12...

The Fury nuthuggers, obviously, credit him far too much in this fight; making out it was a robbery, and a Fury masterclass...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

walshb wrote: »
    It’s horse**** that Fury dominated Wilder. He was competitive. That is it.

Loads rounds were neither man did anything of note on offense...

Wilder had Fury down twice, and the only decent shot in the whole fight was the shot that knocked Fury on his backside in rd 12...

The Fury nuthuggers, obviously, credit him far too much in this fight; making out it was a robbery, and a Fury masterclass...

While I agree to an extent, Fury outlanded Wilder in 9 of the 12 rounds. A lot of nothing rounds though I agree.

The Nal wrote: »
    While I agree to an extent, Fury outlanded Wilder in 9 of the 12 rounds. A lot of nothing rounds though I agree.

That’s just it. A lot of nothing rds, and below par scores. Both looked very basic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

The Nal wrote: »

Statistics are for Olympic boxing as far as I’m concerned. Hiding behind a feather jab and waving stats around isn’t really fair to what really happened in most professional fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

That’s just it. A lot of nothing rds, and below par scores. Both looked very basic..

The first 4 rds in particular next to nothing happened in them iirc.

In typical Fury fashion it was the pr1cking about in rd9 cost him dearly.

The first 4 rds in particular next to nothing happened in them iirc.

In typical Fury fashion it was the pr1cking about in rd9 cost him dearly.

Indeed. And Fury nuthuggers matter of factly awarding him any of these rds where there was nothing between the two...

I can’t see Wilder failing to get to Fury earlier and more consistently in their next fight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Some fair points here but wilder was pretty bruised up in the fight. Fury has to play to his strengths but in fairness wilder brought the drama he just did well to get up. It’s a bit like saying Dublin or Kerry teams win all the soft all Ireland’s. These boys are the best and when you’re the best sometimes it doesn’t look that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,538 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lads lets not rewrite what happened ,
    Fury was robbed there is no way he didnt win the fight ,

He done what he always does and thats win rounds , He never looks amazing but he IS amazing at doing enough to win rounds ala Floyd ,

Must of the credit was because it was his first live fight in over two years ,

Problem is you can out box Wilder for the whole fight but just one shot lands andnu can go to sleep , itsll be the same again i the rematch , eother Fury is perfect or Wilder ko's him

Id back Fury againt any other heavy weight but he needs to be Perfect for 12 rounds against Wilder , ots agreat fighr because of the different styles , Still 100% certain Fury would make a fool of AJ in a fight

Lads lets not rewrite what happened ,
    Fury was robbed there is no way he didnt win the fight ,

He done what he always does and thats win rounds , He never looks amazing but he IS amazing at doing enough to win rounds ala Floyd ,

Must of the credit was because it was his first live fight in over two years ,

Problem is you can out box Wilder for the whole fight but just one shot lands andnu can go to sleep , itsll be the same again i the rematch , eother Fury is perfect or Wilder ko's him

Id back Fury againt any other heavy weight but he needs to be Perfect for 12 rounds against Wilder , ots agreat fighr because of the different styles , Still 100% certain Fury would make a fool of AJ in a fight

Nobody is saying he didn't win the fight but I don't think it was a robbery either tbh you'd swear it was him that dropped Wilder twice the way people are going on. There's a lot of close rounds in that fight that had a punch or two between them.

As for it being his first live fight in 2 years it was his 3rd fight that year buddy.

Exactly. Nobody is rewriting history. Robbery is just wrong. One could argue scoring the fight to him via the 10-9 system, but many rds were very close, and could have went either way...Fury was absolutely not robbed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Dubois looks to be fighting Dave Allen next.

I really don't want to see that.

Exactly. Nobody is rewriting history. Robbery is just wrong. One could argue scoring the fight to him via the 10-9 system, but many rds were very close, and could have went either way...Fury was absolutely not robbed!

I think peoples perspective has been skewed by the whole backdrop story and fury getting up twice. He still lost those rounds 10-8. Though other than the kd in 12th I thought fury won the round. It was a close fight and I’d tip fury by 2 rounds. Draw isn’t insane. Word robbery is too often used in any close fight where your favourite didn’t win

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I think peoples perspective has been skewed by the whole backdrop story and fury getting up twice. He still lost those rounds 10-8. Though other than the kd in 12th I thought fury won the round. It was a close fight and I’d tip fury by 2 rounds. Draw isn’t insane. Word robbery is too often used in any close fight where your favourite didn’t win

This is sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Usyk looked impressive against an albeit poor opponent in Witherspoon.

Would love to see him up against the likes of Chisora or Ortiz.

Who do you think he’ll get put up against next. Definitely a very interesting addition to the heavyweight scene. His amazing movement could well upset even some of the bigger heavyweights.

• Advertisement

Usyk looked impressive against an albeit poor opponent in Witherspoon.

Would love to see him up against the likes of Chisora or Ortiz.

Who do you think he’ll get put up against next. Definitely a very interesting addition to the heavyweight scene. His amazing movement could well upset even some of the bigger heavyweights.

I thought he took a fair few shots himself. I don’t think it’s going to go too well. Witherspoon has a week’s notice. Usyk does look good and moves excellently but Witherspoon was too nice. When a big, strong hw grabs and rough houses him well know more

Yeah wasnt blown away by Usyks heavyweight debut myself, bigger men will trouble him and I don't think he'll have the power to take out top fighters. I'd say his next fight will be another warm-up and then maybe he'll fight a Pulev/Povetkin type. Can't see him being thrown in with one of the giants any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I thought he took a fair few shots himself. I don’t think it’s going to go too well. Witherspoon has a week’s notice. Usyk does look good and moves excellently but Witherspoon was too nice. When a big, strong hw grabs and rough houses him well know more

He got clipped a couple of times but sure he hasnt fought competitively in 2019 (I’m fairly sure) so a bit of ring rust.

Overall I thought it was a disciplined and patient performance for his first heavyweight bout.

I don’t think his performance can really indicate his true potential at HW. He was no different than previous. Just up against a really weak opponent..

Let’s see how he fares when he gets cracked hard by a good punching HW..

I don’t think his performance can really indicate his true potential at HW. He was no different than previous. Just up against a really weak opponent..

Let’s see how he fares when he gets cracked hard by a good punching HW..

That’s fair enough. If he gets cracked by a hard hitting hw he will be knocked out. Sparked. His footwork and shots are eye-catching but when he meets the big boys they’ll cut off the ring and catch up with him. I see this going horribly wrong for him

That’s fair enough. If he gets cracked by a hard hitting hw he will be knocked out. Sparked. His footwork and shots are eye-catching but when he meets the big boys they’ll cut off the ring and catch up with him. I see this going horribly wrong for him

And I don’t see the likes of AJ or Wilder, with their height and size and range having too much difficulty getting to Usyk, both from long and mid range..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Tbf he hasn't really been rocked or shown any sign of showing a poor chin thus far so it's hard judge yet.

I feel if he can take a good hard hw punch he'll give the big lads a fair few problems especially if his cardio remains as freakish as before. All of the current big boys slow majorly in the latter rounds.

Tbf he hasn't really been rocked or shown any sign of showing a poor chin thus far so it's hard judge yet.

I feel if he can take a good hard hw punch he'll give the big lads a fair few problems especially if his cardio remains as freakish as before. All of the current big boys slow majorly in the latter rounds.

The division is pants....

Take out the real punching threats (with real size) at the top, AJ and Wilder, and Usyk could possibly beat anyone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,538 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Pretty even fight but on the scoring system Fury clearly won more rounds , There was a lot of close round that Fury just done enough but thats all u need to do ,
    You can win each of the 12 rounds by the skin of your teeth but win by a landslide on the cards , i think that what Fury done thats why i think he was robbed

• Advertisement

Pretty even fight but on the scoring system Fury clearly won more rounds , There was a lot of close round that Fury just done enough but thats all u need to do ,
    You can win each of the 12 rounds by the skin of your teeth but win by a landslide on the cards , i think that what Fury done thats why i think he was robbed

I’ve been saying the same for years..As regards wide scores in a very competitively fought fight(s).

But, you said it.....there was a lot of close rds.....that one could easily score for Wilder, which means there cannot be a robbery for either man..

Fury was not robbed. It was a very close fight to score..

Advertisement