Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I watched that Tyson Fury King of Morecambe thing. It's very short but enjoyable.. It's on BT sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

wilder may come across as an odd ball but in boxing to get big fights it’s all about getting yourself noticed and with his power shot he needed to add some kind of gimmick like trash talk and bomb squad, boring boxers are soon forgotten and plenty have a fake persona but the one that annoys me the most is AJ there’s no way that’s the real him all nice and smiles but look how marketable he is and he’s making a fortune away from boxing so fair play to him

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 54,750 ✭✭✭✭walshb

AJ can be a bit dark at times and he lets the nice-guy mask slip

• Registered Users Posts: 20,581 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hearn and co done a fantastic job with AJ
    It's the reason he never spoke much because hes a bit dim & the mask drops

Big Femi is the real Anthony not the AJ we get

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I think you could call a lot of them prats.
    nah no he’s exciting and can fairly bang but he’s just ok. Not top 20

• Advertisement

Only the prats I call prats. And for me, Wilder these past few years is the dictionary definition.

As for exciting: In terms of his style and what he does, apart from power, he’s so fooking far from exciting. Downright clumsy I think.

When I think:feel of sporting excitement, there needs to be real aesthetic beauty. Wilder is not at all aesthetically beautiful as regards boxing

A few that spring to mind: SRL in full flow, Mike Tyson, Aaron Pryor, Nigel Benn, Thomas Hearns….dynamic, explosive, creative, menacing.

Post edited by walshb on

Well that’s a side issue in this discussion.

Yea he’s Bambi on ice but has that massive power. His KO of Spilka was great to watch. How many times have we seen the Stiverne meme? Ortiz 1 and 2 were both very exciting fights with impressive finishes.Dominic Breazeale as well was just folded. Fury 1 and 3 were both edge of the seat stuff and in 2 & 3 he showed enormous heart when he was getting battered. With Fury 1 he can feel very hard done by to not have the victory. He has limitations of course but he’s been involved in some very memorable fights with beautiful finishes.

Judging his ‘beauty’ against those is a pretty high bar. In terms of what we’ve got right now he’s been right up there. I think his goose is cooked now but he can certainly be proud of his record and people who follow boxing will always remember that right hand

Yep…you make valid points to argue Wilder being exciting. I was too harsh in my dismissal, now that I think of it. He did provde us plenty exciting/edge seat moments

Post edited by walshb on

fury looking happy and raring to go, is it too early to get excited 😂

very odd shape of a man. Look at those knees. You’d never expect him to have such bounce

• Advertisement

short torso and crazy long limbs

Post edited by OmegaGene on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Can’t fooking wait for May 18

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Draw is 16/1.

They might try and squeeze as much juice out of this lemon as possible.

18/1 on odds checker

Fury 19/20

Usyk evens

this interview was done just after the morecombe press conference, fury seems to be relaxed and his normal self without the bravado

Fury arrived to Riyadh yesterday I think. Warren says he’s in great shape physically and mentally.

videos of him accepting gifts with his team on Friday night came out on Instagram

U.K. price here so I’m guessing €30 for us

planned date for the fury v Usyk rematch

• Advertisement

And Canelo-Crawford Dec/Jan looks possible.

Post edited by walshb on

Dazn promo out tonight, it’s not great so far

Anything could happen with the Saudi crowd, look how quickly skills challenge was scrapped, if we can get fury v Usyk 1 and maybe 2 I will be happy 👍🏻

Any accurate idea on what Fury and Usyk will earn for this fight? So, do they get a flat fee for fighting, and a PPV cut of the sales? We looking at 75-100 million? And, are they both 50-50 here as regards money to be made? Or is it 70-30 Fury…?

deals done directly with turki for each fighter there’s no split as such he just said fight for x amount ? They say yes or no

Rumour fury is getting 100m but wether that is £ or $ nobody knows

interesting how the money rises for Usyk when he’s fighting fury, I thought he would have got more for beating Aj, Usyk will have to pay more to the ibf etc they all want a slice of the pie

Part of the rise is as much to do with the magnitude of the fight as it is to do with AJs name and Fury's name. Both undefeated and both holding ALL the belts; for the unification….this a big factor in the enormity of the fight

I really hope we get Fury-AJ. That likely even does bigger financials…..be an absolute sham if AJ and Fury never fight, both pros years and years now

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why do we need a second Fury v Usyk fight before the first one even happens?

If Fury knocks him out that should be the end of it. If Usyk wins by landslide decision that should be the end of it.

The rematch clause is a fooking nonsense here.. as if they’re not getting already an obscene amount a money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,581 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its standard in any fights of this size,

Anything can happen in there , you can lose in the strangest of circumstances & the through judges cheating

You don't want something out of the ordinary to happen & then the winner decides not to fight you again ,

Advertisement