Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

walshb wrote: »
    And this idea of small...

Wilder is actually smaller (or at least very similar) than Tyson if we go by weights.

He has 6-7 inches in height on him........

Fury is just a big man.....

AJ is a big man, but so what.......Tyson more than big enough to destroy him

Ruiz is just a fat man, who should not be near 250 + lbs......

Who else we got? AP......Not all that big.

Chisora? Fat man...

Whyte......similar to Chisora.....

Ah come on walshie. You’ve gone too far. Delboy beats prime Tyson obviously :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,537 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Against AJ and Wilder he would be an unstoppable terminator.....he KOs both with ease.....

I disagree that Wilder KOs Mike if he connects clean....Wilder would have to hit him with several follow ups, and I cannot see that....

Watch Tyson at peak, he was never ever knocked down or really hurt with any single type shot. You had to brutalize him to put him away, and at peak, nobody brutalized him. Peak being 1986 - 1989

Bruno momentarily rocked him in 1989.....but that was for a split second, and Bruno could hit.

Hell, even a clearly past peak Mike had to be whacked consistently to put him away.

Mike Tyson took an absolute belter of a shot, and his physiology was the key. Squat, stocky, solid, short, with a 20 inch shock absorber of a neck...

He was beat up twice Holyfeild at 30 which is same age as AJ and younger than the other two ,Prime Tyson is fiction as i said there was 4 bums who survived with him in his "PRIME " and another one who beat him , Then Holyfeild beat him twice at 30 which is even before prime age for a heavy weight ,

Then time frame you call prime Tyson just happens to be the same time he fought journey men and lads past there primes

He finsihed guys beliw his level woth ease and looked amazing doing it but Mike was bully and when he faced anyone who could fght back on his level he folded , All the physical tools but mentally he didnt like being put under pressure,

Anyway looks like we wont agree on Mike but thats ok ,

Against AJ and Wilder he would be an unstoppable terminator.....he KOs both with ease.....

I disagree that Wilder KOs Mike if he connects clean....Wilder would have to hit him with several follow ups, and I cannot see that....

Watch Tyson at peak, he was never ever knocked down or really hurt with any single type shot. You had to brutalize him to put him away, and at peak, nobody brutalized him. Peak being 1986 - 1989

Bruno momentarily rocked him in 1989.....but that was for a split second, and Bruno could hit.

Hell, even a clearly past peak Mike had to be whacked consistently to put him away.

Mike Tyson took an absolute belter of a shot, and his physiology was the key. Squat, stocky, solid, short, with a 20 inch shock absorber of a neck...

He was beat up twice Holyfeild at 30 which is same age as AJ and younger than the other two ,Prime Tyson is fiction as i said there was 4 bums who survived with him in his "PRIME " and another one who beat him , Then Holyfeild beat him twice at 30 which is even before prime age for a heavy weight ,

Then time frame you call prime Tyson just happens to be the same time he fought journey men and lads past there primes

He finsihed guys beliw his level woth ease and looked amazing doing it but Mike was bully and when he faced anyone who could fght back on his level he folded , All the physical tools but mentally he didnt like being put under pressure,

Anyway looks like we wont agree on Mike but thats ok ,

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well I think you’re mad to think a Wilder or AJ have good chances to beat prime Tyson. The post prison Tyson, who was clearly past it, would eat both on the same night.

Their problems: neither have a chance of surviving his punching, and neither can stop him with their power...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ah yes the myth of prime tyson.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’ve taken half an hour to sift through these posts and I agree with WB. Tyson EATS these guys. I think he demolishes AJ or wilder within 3 being generous to them I could see first round stoppages. Fury may have a chance to wrap him up a bit more but his speed, strength and work on the inside and I see fury ko’ed too.

As for Douglas being the worst opponent to beat a hw champ that is nonsense I can’t believe no one scrapped that point. Spinks was some excuse of a man to have a belt and Rachman close behind. Douglas was magnificent that night and got the bit of luck with an arguably slow count and a very out of sorts Tyson

Great point on Spinks, who was lineal champion. Beat Larry in a horrible fight, and then repeated it. He was a useless HW champion...Holmes was very disjointed in both fights...

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I’ve taken half an hour to sift through these posts and I agree with WB. Tyson EATS these guys. I think he demolishes AJ or wilder within 3 being generous to them I could see first round stoppages. Fury may have a chance to wrap him up a bit more but his speed, strength and work on the inside and I see fury ko’ed too.

As for Douglas being the worst opponent to beat a hw champ that is nonsense I can’t believe no one scrapped that point. Spinks was some excuse of a man to have a belt and Rachman close behind. Douglas was magnificent that night and got the bit of luck with an arguably slow count and a very out of sorts Tyson

Ok, ok, ok..

Forget the three top HWs. How does Tyson beat the Chisoras and Parkers and Takams and Whytes...🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Not only Mike Tyson would beat Fury, Wilder and AJ. I'd imagine alot of the fringe contenders/world title challengers from the 80s and 90s would beat the current batch.

Skill level has dropped considerably at HW in the last 30 years. The lads who would be fighting back in the day are now playing NFL and the like. None of the current batch possess the skill levels, the sport has regressed. Sure its exciting, but thats not indicative of the quality, its more a case of the top guys being evenly matched more than anything.

The one outlier for me is Vitali Klitschko, I think he gives any of the heavyweight legends a horrible night.

If you could combine both Klitschko's you would have an all time great, Wlad's power and Vitali's balls.

Peak Tyson v Peak Vitali would be so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ok, ok, ok..

Forget the three top HWs. How does Tyson beat the Chisoras and Parkers and Takams and Whytes...🀪

Haha he’d have no chance

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »

In his so called prime years Tyson failed to finish 4 bum inside 12 rounds ,Till, Green,Smith and Tucker so why are you lads so sure he'd destroy Wilder & AJ in 1 round its laughable , Then got beat by Douglas who was also a nobody ,

Honest question who do you think Tyson best wins are ?

His record of names he beat at the time he beat them is not much better than Wilder's current record ?
    Plus Wilder has KO every single one of his barFury ,

Would u say Tyson list of wins is better than AJ's (who i dont rate) ,

Dont forget Tyson was only 30 when he fought Holyfeild and was awful from there on ,

So basically his prime was fighting nobodys and lads past his peak and don't forget he did NOT blow all fhe nobodys away ,

I’ve always said longevity is part of greatness which is why I just don’t get the ‘Prime’ Tyson stuff.
    For me he simply didn’t do it over a long enough period to be a top 10 of all time.

I’ve always said longevity is part of greatness which is why I just don’t get the ‘Prime’ Tyson stuff.
    For me he simply didn’t do it over a long enough period to be a top 10 of all time.

Kind of separate debate...

Could he beat what is around today?

Btw, he had 8-9 years of elite level success..

Had circa 12/13 HW championship wins...

So, for me, that is top ten. More impressive than some other historical greats....

And the prime Tyson stuff is no different than the prime anyone stuff. Used to fantasy match fighters...as well as dissuading the idiotic posts like “yeh, Tyson beats all the HWs today, just like he beat Kevin McBride in 2005, oh wait.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Not only Mike Tyson would beat Fury, Wilder and AJ. I'd imagine alot of the fringe contenders/world title challengers from the 80s and 90s would beat the current batch.

Skill level has dropped considerably at HW in the last 30 years. The lads who would be fighting back in the day are now playing NFL and the like. None of the current batch possess the skill levels, the sport has regressed. Sure its exciting, but thats not indicative of the quality, its more a case of the top guys being evenly matched more than anything.

The one outlier for me is Vitali Klitschko, I think he gives any of the heavyweight legends a horrible night.

If you could combine both Klitschko's you would have an all time great, Wlad's power and Vitali's balls.

Peak Tyson v Peak Vitali would be so much fun.
    I honestly think vitali could beat any heavyweight of any era, he had the size on most and a better chin than most if not all heavyweights of the past 30 years, could box too which is always a help ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Go on then folks, top 10 heavyweights of all time?

The Nal wrote: »
    Go on then folks, top 10 heavyweights of all time?

I have given min several times I believe

No particular order

Ali
    Foreman
    Holyfield
    Tyson
    Louis
    Marciano
    Wlad
    Lewis
    Vitali
    Holmes

I have given min several times I believe

No particular order

Ali
    Foreman
    Holyfield
    Tyson
    Louis
    Marciano
    Wlad
    Lewis
    Vitali
    Holmes

I thought it may have changed now that AJ lost!

Mine (ish). Not in particular order apart from the first few.

Ali
    Louis
    Holmes
    Johnson
    Marciano
    Dempsey
    Frazier
    Foreman
    Lewis
    Holyfield

Then Liston, Klitschkos, Tyson, Tunney et al. Tyson well outside the top 10 for me though.

What do lads think Tyson best wins where ?

Spinks.....

....errrrr....

Probably Spinks, Holmes and Ruddock.

• Advertisement

His ten or so very dominate championship wins from 1986 - 1989

He unified the HW division, and beat the top rated HWs during that 3-4 years stretch.

Let's compare this to your idol, Fury.....you do know Fury is currently 1-0-1 in HW championship fights.....

He beat an aged Wlad, and drew against Wilder, who so many believe to be as crude as brent crude...

Fury's best win other than this, is Derek Fooking Chisora............

All Tyson's victims in 1986, 87, 88 and 89 are better than Chisora.....all them

Ruddock win was very good, and it was Tyson past his absolute best, but still he was lethal....that was a hell of a tough fight, and Tyson ruined Ruddock....

Tyson showed excellent fitness, chin, workrate and overall commitment in the Ruddock fights....Ruddock was some banger...

Spinks was just decimated. Never going to beat Tyson....

His ten or so very dominate championship wins from 1986 - 1989

He unified the HW division, and beat the top rated HWs during that 3-4 years stretch.

Let's compare this to your idol, Fury.....you do know Fury is currently 1-0-1 in HW championship fights.....

He beat an aged Wlad, and drew against Wilder, who so many believe to be as crude as brent crude...

Fury's best win other than this, is Derek Fooking Chisora............

All Tyson's victims in 1986, 87, 88 and 89 are better than Chisora.....all them

haha my idol ,
    I guess that comment that stems from me telling you for years Fury would beat AJ, I bet you agree with me now ,

To be fair I wouldn't have Fury near my top ten just like I wouldn't have Tyson ,

Genuine question do you think AJ (who I don't rate and you do or did) has beat more good guys than Mike Tyson ?

Holmes was 38 years old and a retired grandfather by that stage. Hadn't fought for two years since the Spinks losses and the left jab was gone too.

The Nal wrote: »
    Holmes was 38 years old and a retired grandfather by that stage. Hadn't fought for two years since the Spinks losses and the left jab was gone too.

Yes, and Holyfield a few years later took 12 rds to beat an even older 42 year old.....

How do you think a Parker/Takam/Chisora and some others today dio against the 1988 Holmes that Tyson knocked out?

People not given Fury credit for beating Wlad as he was to old even thought he was ubeaten in a decade,

Holmes was 39 when Mike beat him and lost his previous two fights ?

Spinks was a good win his two best win where Holmes

Ruddock was on a tear at the time but was he ever that good really ? ,
    He never beat anyone of note, lost to Tommy Morrison in his prime at only 32 , Lewis stopped him in 2 the year after he went the distance with Mike,

haha my idol ,
    I guess that comment that stems from me telling you for years Fury would beat AJ, I bet you agree with me now ,

To be fair I wouldn't have Fury near my top ten just like I wouldn't have Tyson ,

Genuine question do you think AJ (who I don't rate and you do or did) has beat more good guys than Mike Tyson ?

AJ has beaten nobody apart from an aged Wlad and an aged Povetkin

Tyson would have decimated both them lads....

Tyson beat better opposition than AJ. Tucker, Thomas, Berbick, Ruddock, are far better than what AJ beat, excluding Wlad. AP could be argued as well.

And most important: Tyson whacks AJ easily. I'd make him 100-1 on....

haha my idol ,

So give us your top ten....

People not given Fury credit for beating Wlad as he was to old even thought he was ubeaten in a decade,

Holmes was 39 when Mike beat him and lost his previous two fights ?

Spinks was a good win his two best win where Holmes

Ruddock was on a tear at the time but was he ever that good really ? ,
    He never beat anyone of note, lost to Tommy Morrison in his prime at only 32 , Lewis stopped him in 2 the year after he went the distance with Mike,

This is juts it.....they can only beat what is in their era

You can pick holes and make arguments for and against for any era.

Mike at his best vs anyone today at their best....sorry, it's a no brainier for me....today lads are pants...

I give Fury the best chance to beat Tyson

None of the others have the tools and variables to do the job......

• Advertisement

This is juts it.....they can only beat what is in their era

You can pick holes and make arguments for and against for any era.

Mike at his best vs anyone today at their best....sorry, it's a no brainier for me....today lads are pants...

I give Fury the best chance to beat Tyson

None of the others have the tools and variables to do the job......

You told me Wilder would not just KO Fury but would also out box him so it impossible to be 100 percent certain of these things,

I understand your argument and can see merit in it but for me personally Mike never won a "fight" so I wouldn't have him as favourite bar fighting AJ,

Advertisement