Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

mgn wrote: »
    lalababa wrote: »
    Mgn....you are missing the point. Of course most people live this way: it is modern society. These marches are an attempt to get noticed by the public and Gov. So that Gov. may start to think about alternatives, to make them act. To talk about bringing in policies to CHANGE modern living habits. For example ....phasing out plastics quicker than they are or phasing in renewable energy quicker than they are.
    But this is probably lost on you.

Attempt to get noticed, their getting noticed alright, for being a shower of scruffy wasters who have no life or friends, just out to disrupt people going about their daily business.
    As for yourself you would want to start practicing what you preach.

Calm down there mgm, really you sound like a primary school female bully. Grow up & cop on to yourself. Put your twisted hate into something good.....like a window box garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

20Cent wrote: »
    Bet Gandhi was called the same.

LOL equating crusty students with Gandhi....hahahaha we have officially jumped the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

My theory about the hatred directed at anyone who protests or is an activist comes from the helplessness the haters feel facing huge problems. Drives them to hate anyone actually doing something. Just take a step back, get out of the way and let the doers do.

LOL equating crusty students with Gandhi....hahahaha we have officially jumped the shark.

Gandhi only wanted to save India, these people want to help the whole world so they are probably better than him.

My theory about the hatred directed at anyone who protests or is an activist comes from the helplessness the haters feel facing huge problems. Drives them to hate anyone actually doing something. Just take a step back, get out of the way and let the doers do.

Maybe tell The XR gib****es your last line there - get the **** out of the way and let the people who pay your dole and SUSI grants through their taxes to get to work and do what they do. You ****ing wasters.

• Advertisement

Maybe tell The XR gib****es your last line there - get the **** out of the way and let the people who pay your dole and SUSI grants through their taxes to get to work and do what they do. You ****ing wasters.

Thats what I mean.
    Like who really has been inconvenienced by this?
    Hardly anyone.
    Do ye freakout when there's roadworks or any other thing that stops traffic?

Calm down.

Thats what I mean.
    Like who really has been inconvenienced by this?
    Hardly anyone.
    Do ye freakout when there's roadworks or any other thing that stops traffic?

Calm down.

Roadworks benefit the country. A bunch of pathetic no life crusty students or lycra clad **** on bicycles blocking up streets benefit nothing but their own self important egos.

Roadworks benefit the country. A bunch of patethic no life crusty students or lycra clad **** on bicycles blocking up streets benefit nothing but their own self important egos.

So it's other people too up themselves that causes this rage?
    Getting above their station are they?
    Making themselves feel good.

Try making yourself feel good might help a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

lalababa wrote: »
    Calm down there mgm, really you sound like a primary school female bully. Grow up & cop on to yourself. Put your twisted hate into something good.....like a window box garden.

And you sound like a wannabe protesters but like the finer things in life.
    And yes i do hate wasters that never done a days work in their lives thinking its cool to sit on roads blocking traffic, and by the way
    you stick with your garden box and i will stick with the land i have.

So it's other people too up themselves that causes this rage?
    Getting above their station are they?
    Making themselves feel good.

Try making yourself feel good might help a bit.

I feel great thanks, I don’t need to disrupt anybody else’s life over some bollxiology to have that.

• Advertisement

Climate change deniers are similar to trump supporters.
    Rational discourse and facts don't work with them.
    Best leave them seething while everyone else gets on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Spotted one of the spokespersons being interviewed outside Penneys on the news last night. She was wearing an Adidas puffa jacket. I'm open to correction but I don't think Adidas are renowned for their ethical production methods and I doubt they stuff their puffa jackets with organic cotton :rolleyes:.

On a more serious note, I accept the right to protest in a democratic society, however I feel that this campaign is more divisive than it should be. None of us want to destroy the planet, we all inhabit the same cities, towns, villages etc. IMO the protestors have turned this issue into an 'us and them' topic. Most of us are decent folk, trying to earn a crust (no pun intended), travel to work the best way we can and look after our families. As a nation we accept change extremely well, for example - the plastic bag tax, the smoking ban. Educate and encourage, don't antagonise and ridicule.

Climate change deniers are similar to trump supporters.
    Rational discourse and facts don't work with them.
    Best leave them seething while everyone else gets on with it.

Hahahaha you’ve just described the climate protestors there pal, have you any self awareness at all??

Hahahaha you’ve just described the climate protestors there pal, have you any self awareness at all??

Teach yourself some science.
    No reason to still be ignorant of the facts at this stage with so much information at our fingertips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

jos28 wrote: »
    Spotted one of the spokespersons being interviewed outside Penneys on the news last night. She was wearing an Adidas puffa jacket. I'm open to correction but I don't think Adidas are renowned for their ethical production methods and I doubt they stuff their puffa jackets with organic cotton :rolleyes:.

On a more serious note, I accept the right to protest in a democratic society, however I feel that this campaign is more divisive than it should be. None of us want to destroy the planet, we all inhabit the same cities, towns, villages etc. IMO the protestors have turned this issue into an 'us and them' topic. Most of us are decent folk, trying to earn a crust (no pun intended), travel to work the best way we can and look after our families. As a nation we accept change extremely well, for example - the plastic bag tax, the smoking ban. Educate and encourage, don't antagonise and ridicule.

Well said. Education is the key. Completely correct about us versus them; videos in the US of protesters questioning if older people have any right to a say etc. that’s hugely dangerous.

Cosmos documentary should be compulsory viewing in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭buried

My ire towards the vast majority of these activists is the wanton hypocrisy the vast majority showcase on the various protests these hypocrites go out on.

"Let the doers do" ?

Today you had a man doing a protest on a aer lingus flight about environmental damage while at the same time he was waving his own apple iPhone in front of his face.

Fair enough if you are an actual advocate for environmental protection, you want to live a actual hunter gatherer existence and currently exist as one, but how many of these activists actually live the existence on what they try to dictate the rest of us live? I'd wager f**k all, certainly wasnt that hypocritical fools arse on that aer lingus flight.

If you are a actual activist for climate change or saving the environment the first thing you are going to have to do is weed out the hypocrites doing your own movement damage before you even attempt to tell me or anybody else what to do.

"Do" your own house first.
    Then ye can "do" away.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Where is the protest tomorrow?

buried wrote: »
    My ire towards the vast majority of these activists is the wanton hypocrisy the vast majority showcase on the various protests these hypocrites go out on.

"Let the doers do" ?

Today you had a man doing a protest on a aer lingus flight about environmental damage while at the same time he was waving his own apple iPhone in front of his face.

Fair enough if you are an actual advocate for environmental protection, you want to live a actual hunter gatherer existence and currently exist as one, but how many of these activists actually live the existence on what they try to dictate the rest of us live? I'd wager f**k all, certainly wasnt that hypocritical fools arse on that aer lingus flight.

If you are a actual activist for climate change or saving the environment the first thing you are going to have to do is weed out the hypocrites doing your own movement damage before you even attempt to tell me or anybody else what to do.

Then ye can "do" away.

A Jordan Peterson fan?

The hypocrisy police more interested in slagging others than doing anything.
    Typical curtain twitchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Soulsun wrote: »
    Where is the protest tomorrow?

Your house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Well said. Education is the key. Completely correct about us versus them; videos in the US of protesters questioning if older people have any right to a say etc. that’s hugely dangerous.

Cosmos documentary should be compulsory viewing in school.

Must check that out this weekend.
    Obviously we all want to make the world a better place, it would be ludicrous to suggest otherwise. Changing the world and the way things are done will take time, it is a mammoth task. As my old Dad used to say 'how do you eat an elephant?' One bite at a time.

PS I obviously do NOT condone eating elephants :D

• Advertisement

A Jordan Peterson fan?

The hypocrisy police more interested in slagging others than doing anything.
    Typical curtain twitchers.

You're trying to slag me as a Jordan Peterson fan aren't you? You definitely doing it by labelling me as a "curtain twitcher" lol but hey, theres more hypocrisy showcased by yourself.

You want to discuss the environmental protestor holding up the aer lingus flight while holding up his apple iPhone instead? No?

You're trying to slag me as a Jordan Peterson fan aren't you? You definitely doing it by labelling me as a "curtain twitcher" lol but hey, theres more hypocrisy showcased by yourself.

You want to discuss the environmental protestor holding up the aer lingus flight while holding up his apple iPhone instead? No?

You wouldn’t mind the insult but JP has more intellect in the tip of his dick than these ****ing idiots do combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

How come they are not protesting at the Chinese/Indian Embassy or the offices of the politicians who affect policy.

because they are from or living in the country they are protesting in, and that is ultimately their concern.
    they can do nothing about china or india, that will have to come from international pressure, which the protests may long term help to achieve, by getting the message through to the politicians, which is happening, whether they ultimately decide to heed it or not.
    Why are they going after the ordinary Joe soap who has no power to change government policy?

they are going after everyone.
    Hypothetically speaking, imagine the uproar and condemnation (even at government level) if a group called Islamic Rebellion or something occupied premises and disrupted airports expressing their "ideology"?

Intentional interference in airports should spell lengthy prison sentences. Or a trip to Guatanamo Bay. By boat of course just to be environmentally friendly.

intentional interference where it is actually serious, already does lead to a prison sentence. however protesting at an airport of itself isn't serious interference, unless individuals engage in for example, violence or criminal damage, which themselves are criminal offenses and have remedies available to deal with them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Not really because his phone is immaterial.
    Whatever type of phone that guy has makes zero difference to the environment or the future. Not seeing the wood for the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Kannonball+used+roll+picturekannonball+rolled+image+mfw+ahhh+what+the+_b5f8bfc20d72639cf15bb6f18c1ffd46.jpg

Not really because his phone is immaterial.
    Whatever type of phone that guy has makes zero difference to the environment or the future. Not seeing the wood for the trees.

His smartphone isn't immaterial actually 20cent because the minerals mined out of the planet to create the chips for his phone has done, and continues to do huge levels of environmental damage in places like Sub Saharan Africa. Wars have even been engineered in these places to extract the raw materials for the chips in these electronic devices. So who is he to dictate to anybody else how they live? He is literally waving his own badge of contributing to environmental damage, plus death, about.

You would want to read up on these things 20, I'm not having a go at you, or trying to slag you. But you, like the vast majority of these activists would do well to research exactly what you all want to dictate about.
    Seriously.

actually no there is no jumping the shark as the comparison isn't between non-crusty individuals from all walks of life and Gandhi.
    the comparison is between the reaction extinction rebellion are getting from some, and the reaction that other protests and protest leaders would have got from some quarters.

"Let the doers do" ?

Then ye can "do" away.

hypocracy is not an argument against extinction rebellion and their cause, given that there is probably no such thing as a hypocracy free movement or even human being.

hypocracy is not an argument against extinction rebellion and their cause, given that there is probably no such thing as a hypocracy free movement or even human being.

I have literally no idea what you are trying to say EOTR.

His smartphone isn't immaterial actually 20cent because the minerals mined out of the planet to create the chips for his phone has done and continues to do huge levels of environmental damage in places like Sub Saharan Africa. Wars have even been engineered in these places to extract the raw materials for the chips in these electronic devices. So who is he to dictate to anybody else how they live? He is literally waving his own badge of contributing to environmental damage, plus death, about.

You would want to read up on these things 20, I'm not having a go at you, or trying to slag you. But you, like the vast majority of these activists would do well to research exactly what you all want to dictate about.
    Seriously.

that's all well and good and it's a fair point on it's own merrits, but when it comes to protesting around climate change, it is not an argument against such protests and neither is the phone someone has.
    either the message is correct or it's not. everything else is nothing more then soundbites and whataboutery used to distract, presumably because one hasn't an argument against what is being said by the protesters.
    pointing out some bits of hypocracy, which lets face it hypocracy exists probably in every one of us from time to time, is just showing us that their message must have merrit. because if it didn't, there would be serious arguments against it, and those arguments would debunk the information.

• Advertisement

that's all well and good and it's a fair point on it's own merrits, but when it comes to protesting around climate change, it is not an argument against such protests and neither is the phone someone has.
    either the message is correct or it's not. everything else is nothing more then soundbites and whataboutery used to distract, presumably because one hasn't an argument against what is being said by the protesters.
    pointing out some bits of hypocracy, which lets face it hypocracy exists probably in every one of us from time to time, is just showing us that their message must have merrit. because if it didn't, there would be serious arguments against it, and those arguments would debunk the information.

No EOTR, it's not because if you if you seriously want to create such a huge message to showcase to the world on how it is supposed to "save itself" you cant have any semblance of hypocrisy within it whatsoever. You didn't see Gandhi showcase his message of non violence while at the same time he'd head off to go pay to see a local street brawl or a boxing match.

You can't have it both ways.

You are either in or you aren't, and sorry but complaining about environmental damage to the planet while at the same time giving money to a company that bores holes into the earth destroying the landscape with machines, taking its minerals, engineering wars to make it happen, allowing children to mine the minerals afterwards....sorry your righteousness isn't going to cut it because you are a hypocrite, you are also damaging the cause you claim to hold so dear because of the hypocrisy.

Advertisement