Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

People need to CHANGE their living habits themselves, why should a nanny state govt come in and just tax us ?
    Yeah cos money will solve everything right ??? - this at the end of the day is all about MONEY!!

It would be easy for these people to cut back on their western luxuries.
    Stop driving everywhere
    Stop changing your pefectly good iPhone every 6 months/year
    Stop using tumble dryer - hang clothes on a washing line ffs
    Get off them ****ing electric scooters - its another battery that needs to be ripped from a mine in Africa where some slave kids are living in misery - also it's a health crisis, we can expect obesity to skyrocket in the next decade..
    Stop buying so much clothes - have you seen the **** China are dumping in the rivers from clothes factories ???

If masses of people adopted the above you would see a massive improvement in air quality , but you know what ? - it's HARD to do this.

It's easy tho to get stoned and dance about like a tosser and faf about with some bongo drums all the while uploading it on your iPhone 19 to twitter and facebook...

And which of the above have you given up or are you just **** stirring out of boredom and couldn't really give a damn about the environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Del.Monte wrote: »
    And which of the above have you given up or are you just **** stirring out of boredom and couldn't really give a damn about the environment?

Nobody can be perfect but i would imagine the people protesting are the ones giving up or doing less of these things. I know i am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

20Cent wrote: »
    My theory about the hatred directed at anyone who protests or is an activist comes from the helplessness the haters feel facing huge problems. Drives them to hate anyone actually doing something. Just take a step back, get out of the way and let the doers do.

They are doing NOTHING, not a thing. They are professional protestors. Wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Protesting for noble causes is a noble role

Why do you actually care what theyre doing and get so worked up about it? Im pretty sure you post the same way about dole people and certain immigrants. Life is short, let it go.

• Advertisement

Protesting for noble causes is a noble role

They are having their own week long shitty version of Woodstock in Merrion Square and wrecking Joe Soaps head by blocking traffic etc. I cannot understand why the Gardai have not gone in with batons drawn and beat them back to whatever commune they came from.

Why do you actually care what theyre doing and get so worked up about it? Im pretty sure you post the same way about dole people and certain immigrants. Life is short, let it go.

Because my commute is long enough without these crusty wasters delaying me even longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Most governments have introduced many environmental policies and declared climate change emergencies. Think they locked that off a stone? It's due to pressure from the public.

Because my commute is long enough without these crusty wasters delaying me even longer.

What road are they blocking?
    Just go a different way.

They are having their own week long shitty version of Woodstock in Merrion Square and wrecking Joe Soaps head by blocking traffic etc. I cannot understand why the Gardai have not gone in with batons drawn and beat them back to whatever commune they came from.

Have you thought about going down there yourself and giving them a few slaps? I just cycled through the street on way to work, that road being blocked doesnt really inconvenience anyone

• Advertisement

Just go a different way.

The side of merrion square parallel with baggot st

How is it delaying you? Traffic is quiet around there now with nothing different to usual

Why not go down and mingle and chat with them?

You just might realise they are on to something and you have much in common with them. We are all living on this island and planet together.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,084 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Most governments have introduced many environmental policies and declared climate change emergencies. Think they locked that off a stone? It's due to pressure from the public.

Of course they have it's a popularist theme at the moment which gives ample opportunities to tax and fill the coffers especially while there is no viable solution in sight give the people what they want even if they don't know what they want a good temporary refund adjustment will fix that, that being ooohhh more money. Do you think for example the sugar tax is going towards health care, nope it's free money baby, long live free government.

You just might realise they are on to something and you have much in common with them. We are all living on this island and planet together.

He's talking through his arse. I was there 5 minutes ago. No traffic delays anywhere. Just an angry man.

Just go a different way.

Buses have to stick to their own routes. :rolleyes:

How is it delaying you? Traffic is quiet around there now with nothing different to usual

What has now got to do with it??

Fixed that for you. I don't think I've much in common with crusty wasters. I've a job.

Of course they have it's a popularist theme at the moment which gives ample opportunities to tax and fill the coffers especially while there is no viable solution in sight give the people what they want even if they don't know what they want a good temporary refund adjustment will fix that, that being ooohhh more money. Do you think for example the sugar tax is going towards health care, nope it's free money baby, long live free government.

Goverments around the world have implemented loads of policies and set goals for carbon reduction. It's up to the voters to make them stick to them by doing things like extinction rebellion are doing. Carbon taxes encourage people to find other ways of generating power.

Exactly, same with MUP. Keep the Vintners and publicans in the Dail happy while screwing the ordinary man.

• Advertisement

What has now got to do with it??

well you said your anger towards them was because they are delaying your commute. When were you delayed?

Buses have to stick to their own routes. :rolleyes:

They can take a detour if necessary. One street for a short time hardly gridlock. Similar to most mornings.

well you said your anger towards them was because they are delaying your commute. When were you delayed?

All week they've been blocking traffic around the City Centre. Slow cycles, marching along the quays. Being a general nuisance.

All week they've been blocking traffic around the City Centre. Slow cycles, marching along the quays. Being a general nuisance.

And when did they slow you down exactly and by how long? I'm just trying to figure out why you hate them so much you want them beaten up by the police, it's very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,084 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Goverments around the world have implemented loads of policies and set goals for carbon reduction. It's up to the voters to make them stick to them by doing things like extinction rebellion are doing. Carbon taxes encourage people to find other ways of generating power.

There ain't enough hamsters to keep the ball rollin though, it's not up to the people to do any such things if a tax is issued and collected for a purpose it's just, if it is collected on the basis of a topical agenda it's a cash grab.

There ain't enough hamsters to keep the ball rollin though, it's not up to the people to do any such things if a tax is issued and collected for a purpose it's just, if it is collected on the basis of a topical agenda it's a cash grab.

Get angry with politicians for tax grabs, use your vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Well Gretta didnt get the Nobel peace prize this morning despite speculation
    We'd never have heard the end of it

Fixed that for you. I don't think I've much in common with crusty wasters. I've a job.

You do realise some ppl took annual leave to take part in this protest? You seem to be looking down on ppl who take part in the protest. I can’t really work it out. Is it that you are terrified by the enormity of the challenge we as humanity face so you temper tantrum when you see ppl actually making an effort to do something about it??

You do realise some ppl took annual leave to take part in this protest? You seem to be looking down on ppl who take part in the protest. I can’t really work it out. Is it that you are terrified by the enormity of the challenge we as humanity face so you temper tantrum when you see ppl actually making an effort to do something about it??

There is no challenge. Life will go on as it is, apart from the extra taxes on Joe and Josephine Soap. No one cares about climate change. It's happened since the earth first appeared. Crusties gonna crust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I saw a woman on Sky news this morning wearing a lovely cowboy style hat, made in china?
    How many iPhones or android phones are in the protestors pockets made in china?
    How many goods total do they or we in general use from the most polluting and increasing pollution country in the world?

There is too much improperly focused attention in this campaign
    That's my problem with it

Advertisement