Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

buried wrote: »
    His smartphone isn't immaterial actually 20cent because the minerals mined out of the planet to create the chips for his phone has done, and continues to do huge levels of environmental damage in places like Sub Saharan Africa. Wars have even been engineered in these places to extract the raw materials for the chips in these electronic devices. So who is he to dictate to anybody else how they live? He is literally waving his own badge of contributing to environmental damage, plus death, about.

You would want to read up on these things 20, I'm not having a go at you, or trying to slag you. But you, like the vast majority of these activists would do well to research exactly what you all want to dictate about.
    Seriously.

That phone probably has a fraction of a gram of those rare metals.
    It would make no difference if he never bought it.

Now if governments made laws about stopping the environmental damage mining these materials cause, banned devices with them or invested in finding alternatives that would actually make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I hope there is a big tax on private vehicles that forces more people on to public transport. Less cars on the road will make my drive to and from work so much better.

The same with taxes on air travel. I hate having my holidays ruined by noisy peasants and riff-raff taking advantage of cheap flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

20Cent wrote: »

Now if governments made laws about stopping the environmental damage mining these materials cause, banned devices with them or invested in finding alternatives that would actually make a big difference.

"A fraction of a gram"? Tell that to the African children that have to mine tonnes of the $hit.

As for the government making laws, go protest them, not ordinary people on flights or trying to get to work.

Not buying the things would make the real difference.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I have literally no idea what you are trying to say EOTR.

Quell surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Widye

Few of the boys are talking about going out and leathering these *****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

What we do in Ireland probably has a fraction of a percent overall in the world. It makes no difference if we protest or not.

Your argument doesn't stand up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

You're right, the phone may just have half a gram of those metals.

But you clearly have no idea how this metal is obtained.

This is what these mines look like. They have to dig massive holes for tiny amounts of metal. That's why they're called rare.

IMG_1432.JPG

I'd love if the crusties told us which of these 3 protests was their favourite. Kony2012, Occupy or Climate change?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

They're going about it the wrong way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

lleti wrote: »

This is what these mines look like. They have to dig massive holes for tiny amounts of metal. That's why they're called rare.

My point which seems to have been ignored in several replies is about that mans phone. It makes no difference if he owns it or not. It's the millions of phones that use these metals that is the problem. If some people decide not to buy them that hole will still be the same size. That's why it's a worldwide problem that requires international cooperation and agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

IMG_1432.JPG

Yeah, but so what ?
    We aren't burning these metals and filling the atmosphere with carbon.
    Mine these rare metals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

If this type of disruption continues, and I certainly can see it getting far worse, then it will have a very adverse affect to what the activists want to achieve. The radical protests are coming at a time when governments are acknowledging the issues.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Would rather see junkies and Roma beggars in O'Connell St than these sad dopes.

at least there were plenty of ordinary folk at the water marches and anti war in iraq march back in the day

I got behind the water protests mainly because the tax payer was being defrauded. These sad cnuts, not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

My elderly mother had life-saving heart surgery a few years ago. Luckily my parents had always paid their health insurance and she could go private in the Mater.

All's well that ends well you'd think but the issue that arose for me at the time was trying to make a simple visit to her while she was in hospital.

The bus Eireann service to Dublin had been taken away from our town during the recession (population 6000 and whatever folks live in the town's hinterland also), as had the train service, well that was now reduced to two stops a day.

So, basically if I wanted to choose the more environmentally friendly route and had taken public transport it would have taken roughly a four and a half hour trip each way to the doors of the Mater for a journey that only takes three hours round trip by car.

If the likes of Eamon Ryan and his cohorts wants us rural folk to jump onboard with him, well he needs to take his massive green fingers out of his ears and push for the transport systems like you'd get anywhere in Europe.

For ****s and giggles though I'd love to see Eamon attempt to carpool from the Beara peninsula to Leinster House everyday come rain, hail and shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

They can protest all they like, its still more likely that a disease will wipe us all out.

Happy Friday, btw.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I got behind the water protests mainly because the tax payer was being defrauded. These sad cnuts, not a chance.

How were people being defrauded ?
    You pay for your water being treated , piped to your house.
    You pay a bill based on your consumption
    How is that defrauding people ?
    BS

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

No EOTR, it's not because if you if you seriously want to create such a huge message to showcase to the world on how it is supposed to "save itself" you cant have any semblance of hypocrisy within it whatsoever. You didn't see Gandhi showcase his message of non violence while at the same time he'd head off to go pay to see a local street brawl or a boxing match.

You can't have it both ways.

You are either in or you aren't, and sorry but complaining about environmental damage to the planet while at the same time giving money to a company that bores holes into the earth destroying the landscape with machines, taking its minerals, engineering wars to make it happen, allowing children to mine the minerals afterwards....sorry your righteousness isn't going to cut it because you are a hypocrite, you are also damaging the cause you claim to hold so dear because of the hypocrisy.

not in reality.
    only in the minds of those who want the cause to be damaged, would that be the case from what i can see.
    from what i can see, hypocracy or not, extinction rebellion's campaign seems to be a huge success and is getting people's attention, and people are listening. ultimately, that is all that matters.
    they won't get every single demand as that isn't possible, but changes will be made to improve the environment.
    the people protesting are 100% in the cause.
    What we do in Ireland probably has a fraction of a percent overall in the world. It makes no difference if we protest or not.

Your argument doesn't stand up.

it will make a massive difference to us however.
    cutting pollution from transport will make our towns and cities much healthier places to live.
    trying to reuse what we can rather then trying to bury it will bring it's own benefits, including us having better quality land.
    instant gratification and instant results aren't going to be achieved here, as some, mainly those critical of the protesters from what i can see, seem to be expecting to happen, but it's not a reason to not change things, and an individual country is not being expected to change the world. so if our bit doesn't help on a world scale, so be it, it will help on an irish scale.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

cjmc wrote: »

BS

You never read into the IBRC deals and sale of Siteserv did you? Taxpayer assets were sold at a huge loss to get IW going.

Fwiw I have no problem with paying for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

BS

Money from VRT and motortax went towards this, completely unrelated to it. I suppose one of the most generous social welfare and pensions on the face of the earth results in the working person having to bankroll not deciding to sit on their hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Widye wrote: »
    Few of the boys are talking about going out and leathering these *****

‘The boys’ sound like quite an intellectual bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Yeah, but so what ?
    Mine these rare metals

That hole wasn't dug with a pick and shovel.
    Have you seen the heavy plant used in these types of operations, there is as much emissions burned there as the whole of Ireland does on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

To the protesters I say - Fair play to them for getting the whole week off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Its actually a bit sad how angry its making people that a few dozen people are protesting peacefully and causing very minor inconveniences. It is impossible to partake in today's society without buying things that cause pollution or have children in mines or god knows what. Do people not want that to change and for us to try and move towards doing everything in a more eco friendly way? What are you all afraid of or angry at when you're advocating police violence or as a poster said a page or two ago going out with his boys to give them a hiding?
    Its worrying reading these posts if its a slice of the general views on things. Its 100 people on merrion square. What a ****ty world wed live in if everyone thought the same and did everything the same way always.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

IMG_1432.JPG

That's only a little pothole

Look at the hole they dug for diamonds :

( red arrow points to a mining truck )

Rc5ag6q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

mgn wrote: »
    That hole wasn't dug with a pick and shovel.
    Have you seen the heavy plant used in these types of operations, there is as much emissions burned there as the whole of Ireland does on a daily basis.

Many large excavators are electric, so they could really be running from a windmill

You can see the cable of this one on the left

Making some of the trucks electric :

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Property tax being somewhat different, but the majority of tax either the water tax or these carbon taxes aren't allotted to any particular thing. Just more added to pot.

Whatever notion of the the water being already paid for ended at the subsequent budget where those taxes just became the going rate. Same thing will happen now with these, they'll increase what they can and tend add new taxes on after with future budgets paying no heed to whatever it was meant to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It’s not a freak show. These ppl will be considered heroes in a hundred years. They are calling time on the old way of doing things.

:D:D:D !! Heroes!!!

You never read into the IBRC deals and sale of Siteserv did you? Taxpayer assets were sold at a huge loss to get IW going.

Fwiw I have no problem with paying for water.

No I didn't, what happened?

Yeah, but so what ?
    Mine these rare metals

I thought you cared about the planet? Why are you fine with massive holes being dug into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

lalababa wrote: »
    Mgn....you are missing the point. Of course most people live this way: it is modern society. These marches are an attempt to get noticed by the public and Gov. So that Gov. may start to think about alternatives, to make them act. To talk about bringing in policies to CHANGE modern living habits. For example ....phasing out plastics quicker than they are or phasing in renewable energy quicker than they are.
    But this is probably lost on you.

People need to CHANGE their living habits themselves, why should a nanny state govt come in and just tax us ?
    Yeah cos money will solve everything right ??? - this at the end of the day is all about MONEY!!

It would be easy for these people to cut back on their western luxuries.
    Stop driving everywhere
    Stop changing your pefectly good iPhone every 6 months/year
    Stop using tumble dryer - hang clothes on a washing line ffs
    Get off them ****ing electric scooters - its another battery that needs to be ripped from a mine in Africa where some slave kids are living in misery - also it's a health crisis, we can expect obesity to skyrocket in the next decade..
    Stop buying so much clothes - have you seen the **** China are dumping in the rivers from clothes factories ???

If masses of people adopted the above you would see a massive improvement in air quality , but you know what ? - it's HARD to do this.

It's easy tho to get stoned and dance about like a tosser and faf about with some bongo drums all the while uploading it on your iPhone 19 to twitter and facebook...

Advertisement