Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bride and groom getting fired on Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

I edited my post as I realised I didn't want to take it down that route.

So, I don't think it is unacceptable to sing a sectarian song at a family event.

IF your sectarian belief in any way inhibits your ability to teach/treat the public fairly and equally while working, then it is completely unacceptable. If you can leave your belief at the door, then its nobodys business.

Unfortunately, people have seen this video and there are people like you who are baying for blood (metaphorically) , so they're screwed.

I just think it's much ado about nothing.

If you hold any sort of sectarian belief anywhere it literally proves you are sectarian.
    If you are sectarian still in Northern Ireland you are an absolute threat.
    All it takes is a tiny spark from some sectarian fool and the blood flows the streets again.
    Not acceptable.
    From anyone.
    Especially a supposed educator.
    Much ado about nothing, I dont think so dunne

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

buried wrote: »
    Stop moving goalposts to other political avenues that have literally nothing to do with the issue

I told you numerous times so I'll do it again shall I?

It is totally unacceptable to hold twistedly culturally sacred SECTARIAN beliefs if you are in the employ of a institution of a state that is trying to escape the threat of a violent SECTARIAN conflict within that state.

Do you agree with any of that Dunne?

How does singing that song prove they have sectarian beliefs?
    Fueled up on drink especially people would join in with any song.

----

Also is it only educators that feel your wrath not former FAI CEO's GAA players and so on?

Or is it all just good clean fun unless you happen to be a teacher!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Just some background on the lyrics to that song - it was adopted as an anthem by Johnny Adair’s C company of the Shankill UDA. The actual lyrics are not to be taken literally. That seems to go over so many freestaters heads. They don’t hate the Church of Rome, this isn’t an ecumenical dispute. They hate the IRA and ALL Catholics, which to them are one and the same.

Are you serious?

As I said how many people have said 'ooh and up the ra' 'Sinn Fein' IRA and never supported any of the above - just sang along with drunken chants?

If the amount of people who sang those songs and actually joined the IRA and voted SF Ireland would be a very different place.
    Plus SF is trying to move away from the Knuckle dragging Celtic jersey wearing SF voter.

Your main arguement seems to be that they are teachers - so you hold them on a very high standard - above former CEO's like John Delaney, Tyrone football players, or average celtic football fans.
    Why is it only teachers you seem to hold to this high standard?

• Advertisement

armaghlad wrote: »
    Just some background on the lyrics to that song - it was adopted as an anthem by Johnny Adair’s C company of the Shankill UDA. The actual lyrics are not to be taken literally. That seems to go over so many freestaters heads. They don’t hate the Church of Rome, this isn’t an ecumenical dispute. They hate the IRA and ALL Catholics, which to them are one and the same.

So the fact they join in with it means they all wanted to be members of C Company come on.
    The fact you refer to me as a 'freestater' sums up your mindset - you cannot see the wood from the trees.

Your mindset
    Irish rebel songs = Natural fun a bit of craic
    Anything on the other-side of the coin = abhorrent.

As I said how many people have said 'ooh and up the ra' 'Sinn Fein' IRA and never supported any of the above - just sang along with drunken chants?

Your main arguement seems to be that they are teachers - so you hold them on a very high standard - above former CEO's like John Delaney, Tyrone football players, or average celtic football fans.
    Why is it only teachers you seem to hold to this high standard?

Because teachers are employed by the state, through the taxation of citizens just like me, just like you, they are employed by the state, paid for by us, to Educate our future generations.
    You dont think that should be held to a high standard?

Once again, are you serious?

If you hold any sort of sectarian belief anywhere it literally proves you are sectarian.
    All it takes is a tiny spark from some sectarian fool and the blood flows the streets again.
    Not acceptable.
    From anyone.

Well thankfully, most people don't have such an apocalyptic view of drunkenly singing a song.

Your mindset Irish rebel songs = Natural fun a bit of craic

Please, show me exactly where I said that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,699 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So I fully understand you, would a scenario where a teacher is recorded in a pub talking about his enthusiasm for the desmond child and support for gay burlesque troupe reading to children affect his teaching career?

Or how about a teacher from Sweden who thinks the legal age of consent should be 15 as per his home country?

I've no idea what / who the Desmond child is, and I'm not quite sure that drag storytelling is in quite the same league as promoting adult /teen sexual relationships.

But the age of consent one is on target for sure - I would be of the view that having a teacher promoting a reduced age of consent could indeed have professional implications.

How about you - would you be entirely happy to have a proud and vocal NAMBLA member teaching your teens?

• Advertisement

armaghlad wrote: »

When I sing along to NWA, am I part of a movement to **** all da police?

Well thankfully, most people don't have such an apocalyptic view of drunkenly singing a song.

No just an apocalyptic view of sectarianism.
    Wasnt long ago we had it either.
    Seems like some are mad for it back.
    Possibly kids. Which is worrying but not surprising.

Please, show me exactly where I said that

That was in reply to armaghlad.
    Who will no doubt find out where I live! Plus if I do not post again - I may or may not have ended up like your username!:D

Any other poster know what the fcuk is wrong with this guy? He needs to take the briar out of his ass.

If you need clarification on any points, please let me know which bits you are struggling with.

I've no idea what / who the Desmond child is, and I'm not quite sure that drag storytelling is in quite the same league as promoting adult /teen sexual relationships.

But the age of consent one is on target for sure - I would be of the view that having a teacher promoting a reduced age of consent could indeed have professional implications.

How about you - would you be entirely happy to have a proud and vocal NAMBLA member teaching your teens?

Oh right, so we have moved on from a teacher who thinks the age of consent should be lowered to a proud and vocal member of an organisation that wants to abolish any age of consent for the express purpose to engage in a sexual relationship?

Bit of a difference there.

It would all depend on the motives really. If a teacher had valid motives for his advocacy for the reduction of the legal age limit and I had no reason to question his ethics, I think I would be ok with him voicing his opinion.

The other extreme example you threw out there, no. I wouldn't be ok with Nambla.

Because teachers are employed by the state, through the taxation of citizens just like me, just like you, they are employed by the state, paid for by us, to Educate our future generations.
    You dont think that should be held to a high standard?

Once again, are you serious?

Those teachers are not employed by your state so I would not worry about it.
    Were you as outraged by John Delaney singning a rebel song?
    Have you ever sang a rebel song?
    If so - and you were recorded should you be sacked?
    Or does it only apply to civil servants who are drunk at a wedding?

Oh right, so we have moved on from a teacher who thinks the age of consent should be lowered to a proud and vocal member of an organisation that wants to abolish any age of consent for the express purpose to engage in a sexual relationship?

It would all depend on the motives really. If a teacher had valid motives for his advocacy for the reduction of the legal age limit and I had no reason to question his ethics, I think I would be ok with him voicing his opinion.

The other extreme example you threw out there, no. I wouldn't be ok with Nambla.

I wouldn't waste your energy AndrewJRenko does not only move the goalposts, he moves the whole stadium to another planet. NAMBLA :D

Those teachers are not employed by your state so I would not worry about it.

Yeah you are right sure it's what 4000 miles away on another continent right?
    Were you as outraged by John Delaney singning a rebel song?

Yes.
    Have you ever sang a rebel song?
    If so - and you were recorded should you be sacked?

No never sang a webel song so there you go.

Or does it only apply to civil servants who are drunk at a wedding?

Yes. El vino Veritas.

But anyone that has should not be able to be employed by the state?

But anyone that has should not be able to be employed by the state?

If it's a song that is wilfully glorifying sectarian conflict with a current cultural or religious institution, then yes they should not be paid by the general citizenry, some of whom would be definite members of that cultural or religious institution. What is the problem? Why should those peoples hard earned money pay sectarianism through taxation?

• Advertisement

If it's a song that is wilfully glorifying sectarian conflict with a current cultural or religious institution, then yes they should not be paid by the general citizenry, some of whom would be definite members of that cultural or religious institution. What is the problem? Why should those peoples hard earned money pay sectarianism through taxation?

I have no problem chief. I just think its a little short sighted and simplistic to say that anyone that has ever sang a song that contained contentious lyrics regarding the troubles up the north or included some football chant style sectarian parts is a dirty bigot and should never be employed by the state.

Its a little silly to be honest.

I have no problem chief. I just think its a little short sighted and simplistic to say that anyone that has ever sang a song that contained contentious lyrics regarding the troubles up the north or included some football chant style sectarian parts is a dirty bigot and should never be employed by the state.

Its a little silly to be honest.

Well, that's your opinion you are entitled to it.

I have no time for the slightest ounce of sectarianism and I'll be damned to agree to have tax money be given to any sort of sectarian bigot anywhere, especially a supposed educator.

You find that silly, fair enough. I dont. Far from it. I leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It is totally unacceptable to hold twistedly culturally sacred SECTARIAN beliefs if you are in the employ of a institution of a state that is trying to escape the threat of a violent SECTARIAN conflict within that state.

Unfortunately their education system is itself sectarian.

So is ours...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Welease Wodger.

I wouldn't waste your energy AndrewJRenko does not only move the goalposts, he moves the whole stadium to another planet. NAMBLA biggrin.png

Nothing has moved - that's exactly where I started out, with NAMBLA - remember this post?

But it's good to see that we've established a principle that private statements of a teacher can have an impact on their professional status.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

not even The Fields of Athenry?

Yeah you are right sure it's what 4000 miles away on another continent right?

Yes.

Yes. El vino Veritas.
    Fair enough as long as you would treat all people the same regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Not acceptable.
    From anyone.

the north is more sectarian now than it was 20 years ago. its not going to be 'some sectarian fool' that'll make ' blood flows the streets again' - it'll be a border which is on the menu a la brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭Hoboo

not even The Fields of Athenry?

It's the fields of athenwy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

So the fact they join in with it means they all wanted to be members of C Company come on.
    The fact you refer to me as a 'freestater' sums up your mindset - you cannot see the wood from the trees.

Your mindset
    Irish rebel songs = Natural fun a bit of craic
    What part of the north are you from? I’m assuming you don’t have to share a village, town or city with these people. I’m assuming you don’t have a Soldier F banner draped across your town centre? (Oddly enough Jennie Andrews has an “I stand with Soldier F” frame on her Facebook profile picture). They’re staunch loyalists. Normal Protestants don’t sing songs like this in the same manner people from a nationalist background might sing an oul drunken rendition of the fields of Athenry. I know it seems hypocritical but it’s just the way it is up here. Loyalists are inherently sectarian whether they care to admit it or not; it’s manifested in their culture and it shows on occasions like this or the bar in Belfast that had the NI fans singing about hating Catholics.

Advertisement