Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bride and groom getting fired on Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Akabusi wrote: »
    Its obvious that one or two posters are trolling here stating that the singing is clearly aimed at the catholic church. My advice is to not engage with them.

Its a simple case of the bridge and groom being bigots. It just shows them up to be ignorant and backwards.

I don't know what their jobs are but unless they are cross community peace workers i think calling for them to be sacked is a bit over the top.

Let them continue in their ways, all they are doing is showing the outside world what a toxic little place N Ire is. Is it any wonder there is little to no investment up there.

This post is completely contradictory.

If it is not clearly aimed at the Catholic Church why is there mention of The Pope?
    The Pope the fella who happens to be the head of thing.
    The Pope has long being linked to Catholic Ireland - Home Rule = Rome Rule etc.
    The likes of the Ne Temere Decree in 1907 and the Special position of the Catholic Church until 1972 in the Irish Constitution would not have helped this thought process. The running of Protestants from Cork during the 1920's would not have helped much either - in the Protestant NI mind.

Also if you look at NI what do they constantly mention as a divide? Protestants v Catholics.
    Why are they bigots in your view? = because they attack one religion over another.

Why do they call schemes 'Cross Community' because they want to bring together Protestants and Catholics. Again coming back to religion.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

This post is completely contradictory.

If it is not clearly aimed at the Catholic Church why is there mention of The Pope?
    The Pope the fella who happens to be the head of thing.
    The Pope has long being linked to Catholic Ireland - Home Rule = Rome Rule etc.
    The likes of the Ne Temere Decree in 1907 and the Special position of the Catholic Church until 1972 in the Irish Constitution would not have helped this thought process. The running of Protestants from Cork during the 1920's would not have helped much either - in the Protestant NI mind.

Also if you look at NI what do they constantly mention as a divide? Protestants v Catholics.
    Why are they bigots in your view? = because they attack one religion over another.

Why do they call schemes 'Cross Community' because they want to bring together Protestants and Catholics. Again coming back to religion.

Protestant is shorthand for Unionist, Catholic shorthand for Nationalist, we weren't killing eachother for decades over minor differences in interpretation of the bible.

I think Dara O'Briain made a joke about it once, but I've genuinely, with no trace of humour been asked if I was a Catholic Atheist or a Protestant Atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I wonder what the "shure it's grand" posters here reaction would be if there was a wedding video of the couple and the guests doing nazi salutes? (Not going to search, but I'm sure there is one out there...)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I wonder what the "shure it's grand" posters here reaction would be if there was a wedding video of the couple and the guests doing nazi salutes? (Not going to search, but I'm sure there is one out there...)

It took a while, but this thread was always going to be Godwined by some nationalist taking offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’d similarly struggle to see the point HD tbh. It’s their wedding, they’re celebrating their values. I don’t have to agree with their values, but I’m not going to take offence where none was intended. To coin a phrase from Kenny Everett when questioned by Sinead O’ Connor about his perceived support for Conservatives Section 28 -

I’ll turn up for anything so long as it’s a jolly occasion :D

It’s in the description below the video as the Late Late clip was removed for copyright reasons :rolleyes:

During the 1983 general election campaign, the Young Conservatives invited Everett to their conference in an attempt to attract the youth vote. Egged on by film director Michael Winner, Everett bounded onto the stage, wearing the enormously oversized foam rubber hands familiar from his mock-evangelical character Brother Lee Love. He shouted slogans like "Let's bomb Russia!" and "Let's kick Michael Foot's stick away!" to loud applause (Michael Foot was the leader of the Labour Party at the time). Everett later said he regretted the incident and that he had taken the foam hands to the rally because the Tories "asked me first". In an interview on Ireland's The Late Late Show with Gay Byrne and Sinéad O'Connor in 1989, Everett was challenged by O'Connor about his support for the Tory Party in the light of his homosexuality and the Conservative's Section 28 addition to the Local Government Act. Everett clarified that he was not a "full Tory", but that he had been appalled by the actions of Arthur Scargill, who he saw as "inciting violence" and "rebel rousing" [sic] and who he thought looked like "Hitler reborn". He had consequently supported the actions of Margaret Thatcher in opposing Scargill. He said he would stand up for gay rights if he were asked providing "it was a jolly occasion", but he also felt that being in a minority and in the public eye, he could do more for gay rights by showing that he was funny and human rather than by marching in the streets.

In case it needs to be clarified- I don’t imagine he was serious in suggesting bombing Russia, or kicking Michael Foots stick away :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I had a look and I couldn't find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Seeing as fuk the IRA is pretty uncontroversial, the bad part must be about the pope.

I’m no sectarian Protestant, but the pope (as an office) has a lot to answer for over the years. A lot worse than the IRA who we already (mostly) agree are a bunch of arseholes

I’ve been to pubs in Clare where the fields of athenry included chants of up the IRA as part of the chorus

Leave the wedding couple alone FFS. The internet troll army just love ruining people’s lives just to entertain their own sense of self importance for a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

**** the pope, the IRA and these 2 idiots

**** the pope, the IRA and these 2 idiots
    And the internet troll brigade looking to gang up on a couple on their wedding night to ruin their lives

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

buried wrote: »
    Any person that is from Northern Ireland, a province that witnessed literally over 3000 murders due to sectarianism, 3000 murders of people from their own neighbourhood, if that person revels in such levels of sectarianism, well that person is either one of two things.

A. A psychopath

B. Deeply deeply ignorant to a dangerous level.

Neither one should be in a position to teach a dog, never mind children.

Because their precious 'belief' this sick twisted belief in sectarianism was the ultimate cause of thousands of bloody murders. They know it too. They champion it. They want it back. Thousands of murders. That's where it leads to.
    That's the mindset of a psychopath.

Are you from Northern Ireland? If not don't get offended for them.

3000 murders (more like 3600 but not splitting hairs) did not ultimately come from people singing a song. Singing a song is not sectarianism and doesn't lead to it.

Calling someone a psychopath for singing a song demonstrates someone that lacks emotional intelligence, no empathy for others, feelings of superiority, impulsivity and controlling behaviour ....oh wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Akrasia wrote: »
    Seeing as fuk the IRA is pretty uncontroversial, the bad part must be about the pope.

I’m no sectarian Protestant, but the pope (as an office) has a lot to answer for over the years. A lot worse than the IRA who we already (mostly) agree are a bunch of arseholes

I’ve been to pubs in Clare where the fields of athenry included chants of up the IRA as part of the chorus

Leave the wedding couple alone FFS. The internet troll army just love ruining people’s lives just to entertain their own sense of self importance for a few minutes

But its not really about the Pope and the IRA its a sectarian statement in reality. I would agree that the couple made a big mistake and its time to move on, I hope they learn from their mistakes.

But its not really about the Pope and the IRA its a sectarian statement in reality. I would agree that the couple made a big mistake and its time to move on, I hope they learn from their mistakes.

If I was them and read all of the vicious and vile comments that was said about me from anonymous people who know nothing about me or my values I reckon instead of 'learning from mistakes' it would make my views more entrenched.

They never made any personal comment on anyone or any group of people but have been personally villified about their appearance, intelligence, family and worse. Are people so hypocritical that they can't see how hypocritical it is to abuse them for singing a song without realizing that they are guilty of the same thing or probably worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

joeguevara wrote: »
    If I was them and read all of the vicious and vile comments that was said about me from anonymous people who know nothing about me or my values I reckon instead of 'learning from mistakes' it would make my views more entrenched.

They never made any personal comment on anyone or any group of people but have been personally villified about their appearance, intelligence, family and worse. Are people so hypocritical that they can't see how hypocritical it is to abuse them for singing a song without realizing that they are guilty of the same thing or probably worse.

The song these pair of bigoted sectarian gob****es made as their entrance to their wedding reception is associated with Johhny 'Mad dog' Adair commander 'C' company of the UVF.
    What makes it worse is he is a teacher and she is a nurse, not a pair of dole head wasters.

The song these pair of bigoted sectarian gob****es made as their entrance to their wedding reception is associated with Johhny 'Mad dog' Adair commander 'C' company of the UVF.
    What makes it worse is he is a teacher and she is a nurse, not a pair of dole head wasters.

It's also associated with a load of football clubs. But song association is irrelevant. It's gone over every persons head that has personally attacked them that their language is equally as sectarianism and as if not more inflammatory.

What has their job to do with it? Is it less reprehensible to you if they draw the dole? Why bring that into it?

Sectarianism is bred when one side is rigid and makes vile statements based primarily on someone's thoughts or words or in this case songs? By attacking individuals based on their beliefs in vulgar crass and violent language is equally as sectarian.

If someone sang Joe McDonnell at a family gathering would they be subjected to the same treatment

And btw those lyrics in different forms were around long before mad dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

No. They are a couple of trained professionals who happen to find singing a song funny. The cheek of them.

If people are in a profession where their daily tasks are to better society, they should damn right live their private life by your rules and ensure that they harbour no thoughts you find offensive.

I mean, who are they to not care about your sensitivity? Cheeky ****ers.

It's also associated with a load of football clubs. But song association is irrelevant. It's gone over every persons head that has personally attacked them that their language is equally as sectarianism and as if not more inflammatory.

What has their job to do with it? Is it less reprehensible to you if they draw the dole? Why bring that into it?

Sectarianism is bred when one side is rigid and makes vile statements based primarily on someone's thoughts or words or in this case songs? By attacking individuals based on their beliefs in vulgar crass and violent language is equally as sectarian.

If someone sang Joe McDonnell at a family gathering would they be subjected to the same treatment

And btw those lyrics in different forms were around long before mad dog.
    The song with the chorus used is what links it to the UVF. Simply put play stupid games win stupid prizes. As an aside it says alot about people on what is considered one of the happiest days of your life you fill it with hatred towards a section of the community.
    As for your 'if' I don't do guesswork but your knock yourself out if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The faux outrage on here is extraordinary.

Posters who can’t bring themselves to condemn a councillor who knocked out his love rival’s front teeth in a premeditated attack are climbing over themselves to get ordinary people fired from their job for singing a song.

You couldn’t make it up.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    The faux outrage on here is extraordinary.

Posters who can’t bring themselves to condemn a councillor who knocked out his love rival’s front teeth in a premeditated attack are climbing over themselves to get ordinary people fired from their job for singing a song.

You couldn’t make it up.

What has your pathetic rant got to do with the topic of this thread?

The song with the chorus used is what links it to the UVF. Simply put play stupid games win stupid prizes. As an aside it says alot about people on what is considered one of the happiest days of your life you fill it with hatred towards a section of the community.
    As for your 'if' I don't do guesswork but your knock yourself out if you want.

What do you mean play stupid games win stupid prizes. So you think the vile bigoted and indeed sectarian that has been directed at a young couple is thoroughly deserved? Is that what is meant by stupid prizes.

The song was briefly adopted by supporters of mad dog but was around way before and is around way after. Rangers football supporters who most would have no clue about UVF sing it at every match. Paul Gascoigne got into trouble at a rangers event. Bizarrely he posed for a photo with mad dog and his girlfriend and didn't have a clue who he was. Your point that the song is paying homage in some way disregards every other pro loyalist person who sings it.

As for your comment about guesswork why not answer? Would you call someone out if they sang a song like Joe McDonnell or men behind the wire and call them a sectarian bigot and comment on their job?

What do you mean play stupid games win stupid prizes. So you think the vile bigoted and indeed sectarian that has been directed at a young couple is thoroughly deserved? Is that what is meant by stupid prizes.

The song was briefly adopted by supporters of mad dog but was around way before and is around way after. Rangers football supporters who most would have no clue about UVF sing it at every match. Paul Gascoigne got into trouble at a rangers event. Bizarrely he posed for a photo with mad dog and his girlfriend and didn't have a clue who he was. Your point that the song is paying homage in some way disregards every other pro loyalist person who sings it.

As for your comment about guesswork why not answer? Would you call someone out if they sang a song like Joe McDonnell or men behind the wire and call them a sectarian bigot and comment on their job?

It's quite simple if you are going to engage in sectarianism be sure to tell all your bigoted friends not to share the nastiness online, for others to see. Although in a hotel which is considered a public place pretty stupid. The Orange hall was probably unavailable.
    As I said you want engage 'if' be my guest knock yourself out but I'll pass.

Ironicname wrote: »
    No. They are a couple of trained professionals who happen to find singing a song funny. The cheek of them.
    So you know them ?
    If people are in a profession where their daily tasks are to better society, they should damn right live their private life by your rules and ensure that they harbour no thoughts you find offensive.
    Not at all but sectarian pricks have no place teaching kids or tending to the health of others where their bias may hamper them.
    I mean, who are they to not care about your sensitivity? Cheeky ****ers.

No idea how to respond to this stupidity.

It's quite simple if you are going to engage in sectarianism be sure to tell all your bigoted friends not to share the nastiness online, for others to see. Although in a hotel which is considered a public place pretty stupid. The Orange hall was probably unavailable.
    As I said you want engage 'if' be my guest knock yourself out but I'll pass.

Calling someone a bigot and making provocative comments directed at them and their friends when they have never said anything to you simply because of a song which doesn't fit in with your beliefs or values is probably a better example of sectarian actions. You made comments about them not vice versa.

You commented about the orange hall? Why raise that? Are all Orangemen guilty of sectarianism in your eyes?

I never said I wanted to do anything. I asked you whether you would be equally as inflammatory or provocative or is calling people bigots anonymously easier?

Calling someone a bigot and making provocative comments directed at them and their friends when they have never said anything to you simply because of a song which doesn't fit in with your beliefs or values is probably a better example of sectarian actions. You made comments about them not vice versa.

You commented about the orange hall? Why raise that? Are all Orangemen guilty of sectarianism in your eyes?
    Well you can't be a member of the Orange order if you are Catholic, you work it out.
    I never said I wanted to do anything. I asked you whether you would be equally as inflammatory or provocative or is calling people bigots anonymously easier?

I never had racist comments directed at me , but I have no problem labelling a racist the name they deserve likewise I see sectarians I'm happy to label them the label they deserve. Actually I have called people both racist and sectarians to their face but of course you only have an anonymous posters word for that.

I never had racist comments directed at me , but I have no problem labelling a racist the name they deserve likewise I see sectarians I'm happy to label them the label they deserve. Actually I have called people both racist and sectarians to their face but of course you only have an anonymous posters word for that.

And you have no problem making sectarian statements yourself or making baseless accusations. For example alluding to Orangemen welcoming sectarianism in their halls or your comment (not sectarian but ignorant about people on the dole).

If peace is going to continue in northern Ireland it can do without people being offended on others behalf and get over their small minded vitriol because of a football chant.

Again no answer to my other point. Listen, I am a proud Irishman and if you look at my posts am deeply patriotic. But what I have seen and read directed at a young couple is shameful and the bandying out of words such as bigot and sectarianism so easily is as backward and provocative as anything in that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

And you have no problem making sectarian statements yourself or making baseless accusations. For example alluding to Orangemen welcoming sectarianism in their halls or your comment (not sectarian but ignorant about people on the dole).

If peace is going to continue in northern Ireland it can do without people being offended on others behalf and get over their small minded vitriol because of a football chant.

Again no answer to my other point. Listen, I am a proud Irishman and if you look at my posts am deeply patriotic. But what I have seen and read directed at a young couple is shameful and the bandying out of words such as bigot and sectarianism so easily is as backward and provocative as anything in that video.

If you read my first post in the thread, you'll see I think there's been a massive overreaction to the whole thing, but honestly....to say it's sectarian to complain about people singing sectarian songs is just a bit unhinged.

I haven't looked through your posting history, so I have no idea with your familiarity with the North, but it's ridiculous to suggest that anyone from there would think of it as anything but a sectarian song. The Rangers association doesn't help your case, as you're fully aware Rangers and Celtic both have their own issues with sectarianism and nasty chanting.

Are the couple demonstrating sectarianism? Absolutely. Do they deserve to be called out for that? Probably. Do they deserve to have their lives taken apart by strangers on the internet? Well certainly not because of idiotic chanting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If there's one thing this thread has brought to my attention, its 'The Sam Song' Its brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's really really not.

Advertisement