Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bride and groom getting fired on Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The money was just resting in my account.

It's not 1985. That's not quite how things work these days.

And you believed him? More fool you.

https://extra.ie/2018/07/01/news/politics/13-staff-sacked-department-social-protection

Define 'directly' please.

So.....Hitler Youth was not compulsory for 14 year old boys in Nazi Germany? And you think Pope Benedict was a 14 year old facist.
    Have you evidence to back this up or are they just “feelings” you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You're wrong. I'm not suggesting any lynch mob. Any firing decision would absolutely be down to the employer, and would be based on strong legal advice.

Well sure if you know that much then, what principle are you talking about?

They’re trying to move away from the kangaroo courts up north, not go back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

youngblood wrote: »
    Was there any media coverage on this today or has it just blown over?

Oh yeah, all over the “Six One”.

Prime Time are rushing to put something together as Claire Byrne is itching to get stuck in.

This story won’t die anytime soon. It’s up for “discussion” in the Dail on Wednesday.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

people have little to be complaining about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

love her dress !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Disgraceful

love her dress !

Fab figure

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The scenarios really aren’t comparable Andrew because who you’re talking about would be a public figure and not a private citizen.

I just don’t know whether the couple themselves uploaded the video on social media of their wedding and the clip was taken out of context by someone who chose to highlight their issues with it, or whether it was a guest at the wedding who uploaded the video with the specific intent of stirring up an Internet lynch mob.

I personally didn’t see anything wrong or offensive going on there, but in another set of circumstances I might have done, such as the circumstances which came to light in the trial of a group of high profile rugby players in the north whose employment was terminated by their employers for breaching their employers code of conduct.

It doesn't matter who says something or how high profile or not they are, everyone should be entitled to their "off the clock" time during which they are not subject to the authority of their employer in any matter not directly related to their employment - period.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Define 'directly' please.

Directly as in committing a crime against the company itself (fraud, embezzlement, selling secrets, etc) or in such a manner that your future attendance at work is questionable (being sentenced to jail, getting so drunk that you break your leg and can't show up for work for days, etc).

Your professional relationship with your employer, and therefore the parameters of your employer's authority to in any way control your behaviour in your day to day life, begins and ends at the threshold of the office as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It doesn't matter who says something or how high profile or not they are, everyone should be entitled to their "off the clock" time during which they are not subject to the authority of their employer in any matter not directly related to their employment - period.

Yeah that’s the kicker right there hp - any matter and whether or not it relates to their employment is a question for their employers to determine according to the terms and conditions of their employment contract.

Employers nowadays have code of conduct policies and disciplinary policies which allow them to discipline employees whose conduct they determine would damage the employers reputation.

In the circumstances under discussion here, their employers if it’s in their contract of employment (which it very likely is), would be well within their rights to discipline the people in question if they determined that any disciplinary action was warranted.

Me personally I don’t imagine any disciplinary action is warranted, but I understand that other people have every right to disagree, and even though I think in these particular circumstances it’s insidious, I do understand why people would be calling for their dismissal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

Well, if they do get sacked they needn't worry.

Fine Gael will probably find 2 handy state jobs for them down here.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Was it tacky as? Yup.
    Am i shocked? Nope.
    Am I offended? Nope.

A part of the country that for years has been ussuns and themmuns, and people in this country are wondering, "I've been up north for loads of things, and never saw anything like that"! There's 3 days over the last couple of months where sane people flee to anywhere because loyalist sectarianism takes over. Derry Girls ripped the piss out of this in series one.

Have I been to weddings where something like this is played? It's not usually the entrance song, but yes. Birthdays too. And christenings. And New Years. And the 12th (July and August).

We've also got 'Ra Lite or Diet 'Ra acting the prick again, although it's more organised (hah!) crime than politically motivated.

There's also the whole Hard Border thing, stirring up the old rivalries again.

To be surprised or shocked is to be ignorant of what happens in a quarter of the country.

Has the couples promotions made the media yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,393 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What do you mean sorry?

Stupidest post of the day on boards.

gmisk wrote: »
    What do you mean sorry?

He has been made principal. She has been promoted to Director of Nursing.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Stupidest post of the day on boards.

Have a day off.

No. This is the stupidest post. You’re at No.1 and 2.

No. This is the stupidest post. You’re at No.1 and 2.

Was she the nurse on call for your sense of humour bypass surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

biko wrote: »
    What's more scary than the idiots in the video are the people in this thread going after people's livelihood, calling for them to be fired.
    When that kind of thinking gets a foothold then democracy is really circling the drain.

First of all look up democracy. Democracy doesn't mean you get to say anything you want and keep your job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

steddyeddy wrote: »
    First of all look up democracy. Democracy doesn't mean you get to say anything you want and keep your job.

I had a quick read of this thread yesterday I did not post I just checked in again to today and it looks like they have not been fired.

Now if that baker said he would not bake a gay orange cake for them that would have been serious.:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,393 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Since this video?... I thought they would be off on their honeymoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Well sure if you know that much then, what principle are you talking about?

They’re trying to move away from the kangaroo courts up north, not go back to them.
    I don't know the detail of employment law for teachers and nurses in NI at all, but I'd be surprised if this display doesn't have significant implications for the happy couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Directly as in committing a crime against the company itself (fraud, embezzlement, selling secrets, etc) or in such a manner that your future attendance at work is questionable (being sentenced to jail, getting so drunk that you break your leg and can't show up for work for days, etc).

Your professional relationship with your employer, and therefore the parameters of your employer's authority to in any way control your behaviour in your day to day life, begins and ends at the threshold of the office as far as I'm concerned.
    So just so I understand you fully, the scenario where the teacher of your 14 year old is recorded in the pub talking about his enthusiasm for changing the law to allow sexual relationships with 14 year olds - that should have no impact at all on his teaching career?

gmisk wrote: »
    Since this video?... I thought they would be off on their honeymoon?

* checks thread still in Social and Fun*

Think this is being taken far too seriously. It's in bad taste, but most weddings are obscenely costly, let them off.

Has anyone checked on Splinter of late?

* checks thread still in Social and Fun*

Think this is being taken far too seriously. It's in bad taste, but most weddings are obscenely costly, let them off.

Has anyone checked on Splinter of late?

I’d say your the life and soul of every party (in your own head)!

I’d say your the life and soul of every party (in your own head)!

Ouch, that got me right in the feelz.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

It's not 1985. That's not quite how things work these days.

I wouldnt be too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,922 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So, did they get fired?

Our have we moved on to next Monday?

• Advertisement

So just so I understand you fully, the scenario where the teacher of your 14 year old is recorded in the pub talking about his enthusiasm for changing the law to allow sexual relationships with 14 year olds - that should have no impact at all on his teaching career?

So I fully understand you, would a scenario where a teacher is recorded in a pub talking about his enthusiasm for the desmond child and support for gay burlesque troupe reading to children affect his teaching career?

Or how about a teacher from Sweden who thinks the legal age of consent should be 15 as per his home country?

Advertisement