Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Ireland has a rape culture”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

manonboard wrote: »
    I dont think this would work for me and my partner. I know she would find it an incredible turn off to verbally check if we are going to have sex. It forces the person to create this decision, for anyone with any anxiety around these things, this would be a very unpleasant situation.
    Just the other day, we had a chat and she told me that she felt pressure to have sex that day because I was leaving for the weekend and we wouldn't get to for a few days. It apparently started because in the morning i said i'd like to have sex before i leave (5 hours later i was due to leave).
    She expressed it creates this time window type of pressure.
    That would sound like a "no" to me.
    Its very clear to me that she would prefer if i just randomly initiate sex without bringing her cognitive decision making/decision planning into it.
    Her body and mind enjoy it alot more if it 'just happens in the moment'.
    So what happened to the time window of pressure?
    This is something that perplexes me in these situations. I myself would strongly dislike someone asking me to have sex each time verbally. I much prefer they initiate and i will check in with my body/mind as it continues and stop it if i have a problem or need to adjust something.

I find an important part of enjoyable sex is the ability the more active thinking part of the mind and just allow things to happen unless our bodies say no.

Could i ask you to share your thoughts on this aspect? I understand and partially agree about the verbal consent model being proposed alot, but i find it quite incompatible with how people like things in the moment.

Thanks OEJ

Ray

Which is fine. The key phrase in Jack's post was, "if you carry on under the assumption that because they haven’t tried to stop you and you’ve made no effort to make sure they’re as into it as you are - that’s when you could find yourself in a whole boatload of trouble.

IN other words, it's not the initiation and whether it's verbal or not that's important, it's what happens after the initiation is important. If the partner says "no" and you keep going, that;s when you're violating oncent.

Not at the initiation.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,157 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I dont think this would work for me and my partner. I know she would find it an incredible turn off to verbally check if we are going to have sex. It forces the person to create this decision, for anyone with any anxiety around these things, this would be a very unpleasant situation.
    Just the other day, we had a chat and she told me that she felt pressure to have sex that day because I was leaving for the weekend and we wouldn't get to for a few days. It apparently started because in the morning i said i'd like to have sex before i leave (5 hours later i was due to leave).
    She expressed it creates this time window type of pressure.

Its very clear to me that she would prefer if i just randomly initiate sex without bringing her cognitive decision making/decision planning into it.
    Her body and mind enjoy it alot more if it 'just happens in the moment'.

This is something that perplexes me in these situations. I myself would strongly dislike someone asking me to have sex each time verbally. I much prefer they initiate and i will check in with my body/mind as it continues and stop it if i have a problem or need to adjust something.

I find an important part of enjoyable sex is the ability the more active thinking part of the mind and just allow things to happen unless our bodies say no.

Could i ask you to share your thoughts on this aspect? I understand and partially agree about the verbal consent model being proposed alot, but i find it quite incompatible with how people like things in the moment.

Thanks OEJ

Ray

Don't you see what's happened here? You've had a consent discussion and come to an agreement re consent.

You've agreed a long term arrangement which can work in a long term relationship. That's one sound outcome from discussing consent. Job's oxo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I understand where she's coming from and rape is a truly terrible thing. However, she's trying to get justice where it's practically impossible to find.

Saying Ireland has a "rape culture" was probably bad phrasing, she's understandably emotional and needs an outlet so there you have it.

She also started anti sexual assault group that includes males, so considering everything I can't really be angry at her for saying something she might not have completely understood or meant.

I do agree, however, that the term "rape culture" is not only nonsensical but misandric (as people seem to still automatically relate rape to men) overused as an excuse for male bashing.

theballz wrote: »
    I understand where she's coming from and rape is a truly terrible thing. However, she's trying to get justice where it's practically impossible to find.

Saying Ireland has a "rape culture" was probably bad phrasing, she's understandably emotional and needs an outlet so there you have it.

She also started anti sexual assault group that includes males, so considering everything I can't really be angry at her for saying something she might not have completely understood or meant.

I do agree, however, that the term "rape culture" is not only nonsensical but misandric (as people seem to still automatically relate rape to men) overused as an excuse for male bashing.

Completely agree. It's hyperbole that really doesn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    You're right.

I think the solution isn't consent classes. It's teaching women to be assertive. If you don't want something, you need to be able to verbally express this.

We can't keep treating women like pathetic children and putting the entire responsibility on men.
    The idea of consent needs to be more than this. Too often consent is depicted in the negative - being able to say no.

Consent should be equally seen as something positive - being able to say yes and having the confidence to express what one wants is as much about consent as being able to say no.

A balanced view of consent needs to encompass the confidence to express each other's wants, to treat each other's wants with respect and consideration, respectful resolution of differences and the confidence to say yes or no. Focusing narrowly on the right to say no gives the idea of consent classes bad press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Thanks OEJ

Ray

Well as I’ve consistently said throughout this thread, relationships are based upon trust, and from the sounds of it, yourself and your partner trust each other and have a great relationship because of it, and you’re able to talk about what you both like and don’t like and your expectations and all the rest of it. It’s working out pretty sweet for both of you from what I can see, and that’s fantastic, I’m genuinely happy for both of ye :D

This though, is a different ball game altogether -

I can't get behind this because that's not how sex works in the real world.

Let's do some simple and inaccurate maths:

Let’s make it even simpler - it’s exactly how sex works in the real world, as demonstrated above by manonboards example of his relationship with his partner. It’s exactly how sex works for the vast majority of adults.

There’s no point in doing any simple and inaccurate maths because that’s not how Irish law at least, works in the real world. In the real world, if you plough on regardless, a woman then has the choice as to whether or not she wants to make a complaint against you. You lost the right to call foul when you decided to plough on and claim she consented because she didn’t explicitly say no. That excuse won’t keep you out of jail if a woman makes a complaint against you.

We need to move past the idea that women need to be coddled so much that even expecting them to speak is too much to ask for. It's an incredibly sexist mentality.

I can't keep repeating myself so this is my last post here unless the usual weirdos come along making up things like I'm saying rape should be legalised or love rape or whatever.

I think you need to move past a mentality where you imagine that just because you think the law is stupid, that somehow your attitude grants you immunity from any wrongdoing. That attitude was excusable when you were a child and weren’t expected to know better, but as an adult you think that attitudes gonna fly? It’s exactly why we have laws to punish people for their wrongdoing which causes harm to other people, which those people have every right to make a complaint to the authorities about.

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭Enough is Enough!

Your thinking on this is all arseways OMM. You seem like a reasonable guy and I do understand where you’re coming from, you’re using hyperbole and exaggeration to make your point - I get it.

The thing is, if you want something, then the obligation is on you to ask or find out does the other person feel the same way as you do. It’s when you assume that by default they do, that the trouble starts, and if you carry on under the assumption that because they haven’t tried to stop you and you’ve made no effort to make sure they’re as into it as you are - that’s when you could find yourself in a whole boatload of trouble. And the thing is, it wouldn’t be anyone else’s fault, it would be entirely your own fault because it was your responsibility in the first place to be assertive and to check if they were into it in the same way you were.

The onus is on you to verbally express yourself, as opposed to just assuming that someone is into it because they haven’t made it crystal clear to you that they absolutely and categorically have no interest nor wish to have sex with you.

Sounds like an excellent way to get laughed out of the bedroom.

It's pretty obvious when a girl is in to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sounds like an excellent way to get laughed out of the bedroom.

It's pretty obvious when a girl is in to you.

And by that same token, it’s pretty obvious when a girl isn’t into you. What this thread is about is when a person knows the other person isn’t into them, yet carries on anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭Enough is Enough!

And by that same token, it’s pretty obvious when a girl isn’t into you. What this thread is about is when a person knows the other person isn’t into them, yet carries on anyway.

Yeah fair enough. My point is, when a girl is really in to you, you she doesn't want you to meekly ask for consent, she wants you to ravish her!

That's my policy anyway. No complaints, even after several years of being a manwhore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Rape culture, mansplaining, manspreading etc are phrases coined by nutjob feminists.

Dangerous creatures.

We've a drinking culture... That's it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

wrong, this thread was about a damaged cow who thinks the whole country is celebrating some sort of rape culture
    and has other nutjob feminists, promoting her mental instability.

Its not about consent, but some cow dictating that men revel in this rape culture.
    She is a sexist b1tch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Which is fine. The key phrase in Jack's post was, "if you carry on under the assumption that because they haven’t tried to stop you and you’ve made no effort to make sure they’re as into it as you are - that’s when you could find yourself in a whole boatload of trouble.

IN other words, it's not the initiation and whether it's verbal or not that's important, it's what happens after the initiation is important. If the partner says "no" and you keep going, that;s when you're violating consent.

and if the partner doesn't say no?

maybe it's women who need consent classes...

Yeah. Women should have consent discussions. And men should have consent discussions. Consent is a mutual thing so they should both be made aware of everything they need to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Rule of thumb: if she says no and/or you are using force to stop her fighting you, you've gone too far. Regardless of how short her skirt might be or where youse may be, (looking at you George Hook).
    In addition: If she's passed out, just move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭anewme

wrong, this thread was about a damaged cow who thinks the whole country is celebrating some sort of rape culture
    and has other nutjob feminists, promoting her mental instability.

Its not about consent, but some cow dictating that men revel in this rape culture.
    She is a sexist b1tch

"A damaged Cow"

"some cow"

"sexist bitch"

Just downright nasty.

Did you read what happened to the lady?

anewme wrote: »
    "A damaged Cow"

"some cow"

"sexist bitch"

Just downright nasty.

They're just being edgy. It's virtue signalling for someone who fancies them self a great big hard lad.

They're just being edgy. It's virtue signalling ...

ah here, ye tried to reverse the meaning of 'snowflake' with your 'I know you are but what am I?' nonsense.

lets leave virtue signalling alone

ah here, ye tried to reverse the meaning of 'snowflake' with your 'I know you are but what am I?' nonsense.

lets leave virtue signalling alone

We'll, it's just the normal use of the term "virtue signalling" for people who consider that sort of thing virtuous.

Did you read their posts? They knew what they were doing but nobody would bite until the poster a couple of posts back.

call it what it is so, trolling. not virtue signalling

"A damaged Cow"

"some cow"

"sexist bitch"

Just downright nasty.

Nasty is when she is the sexist one with her rape culture comments labeling all men.

I find that offensive. It was horrible what happened to her, but slating all men gets her less sympathy from me.

• Advertisement

They're just being edgy. It's virtue signalling for someone who fancies them self a great big hard lad.

Wrong I am sick of women demeaning men , but if a man says a thing about women he is attacked and called a sexist.

Are you too dense to comprehend this, or are you brainwashed so much you have stopped thinking for yourself and allow others to dictate how you should feel.

Nasty is when she is the sexist one with her rape culture comments labeling all men.

I find that offensive. It was horrible what happened to her, but slating all men gets her less sympathy from me.

Its really horrible the comments you have passed about this lady.

To comment on a lady who was raped as "a damaged cow" really does not read well.

Your comments show absolutely no filter, you just can't abuse people you don't agree with. No justification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I hate this 'teach men not to rape' nonsense. Another thing I hate is that if a man says a woman should be careful of getting drunk and walking home at night he's accused of 'making excuses for the rapist'.

No ones says this about other crimes. If you tell someone they should lock their door and get an alarm in case their house is robbed no one says "why are you blaming the victims of burglary?" or "just teach men not to burglarise houses".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

IN other words, it's not the initiation and whether it's verbal or not that's important, it's what happens after the initiation is important. If the partner says "no" and you keep going, that;s when you're violating consent.

If it's someone you've been with for a while, you really should know by the reactions.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I hate this 'teach men not to rape' nonsense. Another thing I hate is that if a man says a woman should be careful of getting drunk and walking home at night he's accused of 'making excuses for the rapist'.

I'm pretty sure nobody in this thread has said "teach men not to rape" or invoked that sentiment.

Wrong I am sick of women demeaning men , but if a man says a thing about women he is attacked and called a sexist.

Are you too dense to comprehend this, or are you brainwashed so much you have stopped thinking for yourself and allow others to dictate how you should feel.

Yeah it's just being an edgelord. I get it and were all shockin' impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm pretty sure nobody in this thread has said "teach men not to rape" or invoked that sentiment.

Where did I say anything about what anyone on this thread has said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

This. There used to be a lot more people(men and women) calling themselves feminists as I remember; especially when we thought we were fighting chauvinists.

But now there are so many chauvinists on the side of the feminists and not many women or men seem to care or speak out against them.

This. There used to be a lot more people(men and women) calling themselves feminists as I remember; especially when we thought we were fighting chauvinists.

But now there are so many chauvinists on the side of the feminists and not many women or men seem to care or speak out against them.

You have edited that post and snipped it to suit your narrative.

Post it in its entirely in the interest of transparency .....it describes a woman who had been raped as "a damaged cow".

I call that hate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

You have edited that post and snipped it to suit your narrative.

Post it in its entirely in the interest of transparency .....it describes a woman who had been raped as "a damaged cow".

I call that hate.

You can fire insults and hate around all you like; I'm just interested in the merits of argument.

Advertisement