Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 2020 new motor tax scale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Contributed to in large by those driving long distances from the country to work. Instead of living and working close enough to walk/cycle/avail of public transport.

You must have missed the memo on the housing crisis : there are no affordable houses in Dublin they could afford to facilitate cycling etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,167 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Contributed to in large by those driving long distances from the country to work. Instead of living and working close enough to walk/cycle/avail of public transport.

I seriously think you must live in a goldfish bowl. People don't commute long distances to work for fun. They live where they can afford to live and the further away from the Pale, the more affordable it is to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

What are you basing that on?

A third of GHG in this country are from transport. Hardly insignificant.

galwaytt wrote: »
    You must have missed the memo on the housing crisis : there are no affordable houses in Dublin they could afford to facilitate cycling etc.

I’m very clued into the housing crisis. PLANNING/greed and policy has caused this.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I seriously think you must live in a goldfish bowl. People don't commute long distances to work for fun. They live where they can afford to live and the further away from the Pale, the more affordable it is to live.

This is my point...poor planning has put work and living too far apart too often when there is no public transport.
    People don’t commute for fun,.. but don’t build a big house out the country coz your entitled to and then complain about the commute and the taxes you are paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,167 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are very few building big houses in the middle of nowhere these days. People were forced to move further and further away from urban areas because it was cheaper to live there. You could also flip the coin and argue that most of the jobs that come to the country come to Dublin. This just compounds the problem further. If I live down the country then why should I be forced to commute or move to an over crowed tower block in Dublin that costs more to live in just because of where it is? There should be a balance instead of sticking all your eggs in one basket. Also public transport infrastructure is never going to be a one size fits all solution for any of this, people have always lived in rural parts of the country since the beginning of time.

bazz26 wrote: »
    There are very few building big houses in the middle of nowhere these days. People were forced to move further and further away from urban areas because it was cheaper to live there. You could also flip the coin and argue that most of the jobs that come to the country come to Dublin. This just compounds the problem further. If I live down the country then why should I be forced to commute or move to an over crowed tower block in Dublin that costs more to live in just because of where it is? There should be a balance instead of sticking all your eggs in one basket. Also public transport infrastructure is never going to be a one size fits all solution for any of this, people have always lived in rural parts of the country since the beginning of time.

I couldn’t agree more with you. But big companies were given permission to build where there wasn’t sufficient housing or public transport for the workers (Planning irresponsibility)... Creating demand/desirability to live closeby driving people out to the suburbs. On the other hand one off housing and commuter housing estates were allowed to be built which has created traffic chaos and the urban sprawl we have come accustomed to.
    I feel sorry for those who have to do those horrendous commutes, but not for those who begged for planning for one off housing and now complain about motor tax etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

No ... less single occupancy vehicles on the road would leave more space for those who want to be independent.
    Driving a car shouldn’t be considered “freedom”... it’s a privilege, walking/cycling freely is freedom. Freedom to move, freedom from ownership costs.

After driving 30 years ( and huge mileages through work etc) and contributing a huge amount of money to the goverment by all that driving i consider it my "freedom" and not a privilage, thanks.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    After driving 30 years ( and huge mileages through work etc) and contributing a huge amount of money to the goverment by all that driving i consider it my "freedom" and not a privilage, thanks.

Your from a generation where that was considered a good thing - were more educated now.

They way I’d look at that is that you spent 30 years polluting the place, which is straining our health system, has negatively impact the planet your leaving behind you to the next generation. “But I’m alright jack” seems to be your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Your from a generation where that was considered a good thing - were more educated now.

They way I’d look at that is that you spent 30 years polluting the place, which is straining our health system, has negatively impact the planet your leaving behind you to the next generation. “But I’m alright jack” seems to be your answer.

Have you worked a day in your life?

• Advertisement

I don't really care what YOU think to be honest.

I don't really care what YOU think to be honest.

You don’t care about anyone but yourself by what your saying.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Have you worked a day in your life?

Yes... been working every day since I left school over 25 years ago. Worked summer jobs through school... worked evenings and weekends through college. Your ping being?

You don’t care about anyone but yourself by what your saying.

That's your opinion. In my job i see struggling families, they have old cars etc that they rely on for getting around, especially in rural areas. the government will slap on a nice carbon tax aswell as fuel duty they are going to suffer more that's who i feel sorry for. But the likes of you don't give a toss about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Yes... been working every day since I left school over 25 years ago. Worked summer jobs through school... worked evenings and weekends through college. Your ping being?

My point being that you seem incredibly closed minded and out of touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Are you any relation to Greta the Great, you beginning to sound like her now.

mgn wrote: »

I saw on RTE yesterday( as usual have they not anything else to report other than climate change every 5 mins) the cult was out in force protesting again. She was talking on it and the arrogance of her. I just hope her led protests don't turn nasty.

I saw on RTE yesterday( as usual have they not anything else to report other than climate change every 5 mins) the cult was out in force protesting again. She was talking on it and the arrogance of her.

I hope the have her on every night because the more people see her the more disliked she has become, her script writers are starting to get worried now.

That's your opinion. In my job i see struggling families, they have old cars etc that they rely on for getting around, especially in rural areas. the government will slap on a nice carbon tax aswell as fuel duty they are going to suffer more that's who i feel sorry for. But the likes of you don't give a toss about that.

Where did I say that’s no a reality- what I’m trying to hammer home here is that car dependency is a result of poor planning government after government. I’m certainly not placing the blame on anyone else.

mgn wrote: »

She’s certainly more enlightened than yourself.

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    My point being that you seem incredibly closed minded and out of touch with reality.

So what’s reality?... since I’m out of touch with it... I understand people are struggling, I understand people are reliant on private car ownership, and this further puts the squeeze on. I also understand that this needs to change and the very people responsible for creating the situation need to sort it out. (This would be the government BTW)... but we keep voting in the same ole ole so don’t complain with what you get.

Yes planning has facilitated the “I can live wherever I want” attitude, but slowly government are realising the mess that’s creating. And they will slowly tax people back into the cities if that’s what it takes.?..

Back into the cities? There are more people than ever living in cities now than anytime in the past and it’s terrible for rural Ireland.

Rural Ireland is for living in not admiring by tourists and clowns down from Dublin for a weekend. The type of attitude you have disgusts me. People should live where they want to live, often beside their families etc in the areas they grew up.

Look you live away in your little dolls house stuck on top of another dolls house but it isn’t for me nor for an awful lot of people. You and your ilk would ruin rural Ireland by taking the people out of it given half a chance luckily keeping rural Ireland alive is a major part of Ireland plans going forward.

Where did I say that’s no a reality- what I’m trying to hammer home here is that car dependency is a result of poor planning government after government. I’m certainly not placing the blame on anyone else.

The point is you say to me " i'm alright jack" but you have the " i'm alright jack" attitude too. You don't give a toss about people who are struggling, i'm quite sure from your posts you're comfortable and it won't affect you much, i guess " you're alright jack ":rolleyes:

Rural Ireland is for living in not admiring by tourists and clowns down from Dublin for a weekend.

Yeah the rest of the country only exists when it suits them.

You don't give a toss about people who are struggling, i'm quite sure from your posts you're comfortable and it won't affect you much, i guess " you're alright jack ":rolleyes:

Where did I say that... those I don’t listen to are those who built mansions and are complaining about carbon tax now.

Back into the cities? There are more people than ever living in cities now than anytime in the past and it’s terrible for rural Ireland.

Rural Ireland is for living in not admiring by tourists and clowns down from Dublin for a weekend. The type of attitude you have disgusts me. People should live where they want to live, often beside their families etc in the areas they grew up.

Look you live away in your little dolls house stuck on top of another dolls house but it isn’t for me nor for an awful lot of people. You and your ilk would ruin rural Ireland by taking the people out of it given half a chance luckily keeping rural Ireland alive is a major part of Ireland plans going forward.

Bet one of his/her parents or grandparents comes from the county to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

doesnt matter if someone gives a toss or not, its the government that fcks people over, dont we have this **** every year now where they increase all taxes anyway. While this will hit people on the pocket but nothing will change as electric cars are still fairly new less then decade since leaf is out, and few other models in last couple years means jack **** as people wont jump to buy new EV costing 30-40k to save few euro when its better to buy second hand used car for 5-10k and prob get another 5-10 years out of it.

this whole push to EVs is ridicilous, as most towns have few charging points, that 50 cars would choke entire supply and spaces as is, not to mention rural side of country where its behind long ways for anyone to consider EV.

scamalert wrote: »
    doesnt matter if someone gives a toss or not, its the government that fcks people over, dont we have this **** every year now where they increase all taxes anyway. While this will hit people on the pocket but nothing will change as electric cars are still fairly new less then decade since leaf is out, and few other models in last couple years means jack **** as people wont jump to buy new EV costing 30-40k to save few euro when its better to buy second hand used car for 5-10k and prob get another 5-10 years out of it.

this whole push to EVs is ridicilous, as most towns have few charging points, that 50 cars would choke entire supply and spaces as is, not to mention rural side of country where its behind long ways for anyone to consider EV.

Absolutely, government policy needs to incentivise public transport and reduce private car ownership, but they don’t have the balls to do it. Replacing ICE with electric is kicking the van down the road.

Idbatterim wrote: »

in relation to the above post, given that you can now drive a used leaf, which would suit a lot of drivers for sub 6,000 a year, I think its fair to say that the vast majority can "afford" to drive electric!

There's loads of these 6k leaf yokes about is there? Should the vast majority go for that option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

scamalert wrote: »

I think the future for EV charging is at home.

Public charging is a 'last resort' option I think.
    If you need to rely on public charging, its not for you.

Advertisement