Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 2020 new motor tax scale

Options

Comments

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Absolutely, government policy needs to incentivise public transport and reduce private car ownership, but they don’t have the balls to do it. Replacing ICE with electric is kicking the van down the road.

What planet are you living on that you think living without a car is practical? Even if living in a city center you will bring loads of hardship on yourself if you try to survive without a car, and surviving is the word.

Go back to living a backwards life before we had modern things like cars, but vast majority prefer the progress that has been made in the last century and not the hardship of a time before cars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

mgn wrote: »
    Are you any relation to Greta the Great, you beginning to sound like her now.

This cult crap is contagious- but ask the virtue signallers specifically what they are doing themselves ie giving up cars completely, air travel, I phones and the tsunami of modern conveniences and luxuries we all enjoy then you meet a stone wall silence usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

What planet are you living on that you think living without a car is practical?

That says more about you than me, if you think you couldn’t live without a car you’ve become part of a bigger problem.

road_high wrote: »
    This cult crap is contagious- but ask the virtue signallers specifically what they are doing themselves ie giving up cars completely, air travel, I phones and the tsunami of modern conveniences and luxuries we all enjoy then you meet a stone wall silence usually.

It’s government policy that will change things... not you or I deciding to change our habits for better or worse. This can be done and it can actually enhance our quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It’s government policy that will change things... not you or I deciding to change our habits for better or worse. This can be done and it can actually enhance our quality of life.

Yep for the well off and comfortable like yourself, not the less well off or the hard working class.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Yep for the well off and comfortable like yourself, not the less well off or the hard working class.

Big assumption there. I’m neither well off or comfortable, I am well educated though.

Big assumption there. I’m neither well off or comfortable, I am well educated though.
    You can get great accurate assumptions by people's posts ;)

You can get great accurate assumptions by people's posts ;)

Assumption is the mother of all f ups... assume away Micky.

Assumption is the mother of all f ups... assume away Micky.

Yes in a lot of cases but not in the clear cut ones. ;)

Yes in a lot of cases but not in the clear cut ones. ;)

Assumptions aside... your essentially trying to say only the hard working class (as you put it) are the only ones you would listen to, that’s going to give you a pretty narrow view. 30 years driving hasn’t exactly broadened your mind much I guess.

• Advertisement

How’s the iPhone 11?... mine is a 6, genuinely couldn’t afford an upgrade like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Says your man paying over a grand to Apple
    For the new iPhone ???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

Another thread reduced to heckling babble. Shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Nox was known about pre 2008
    Yet we ploughed ahead with diesel engines.

SF6 is known about now, yet we are pushing ahead with electric cars, and electric home heating, electric everything.

Give it 10yrs, and it'll be all shock horror.. we were duped into buying electric.

I digress.

Will the new smart meters for electricity supply be able to differentiate between household electric use, and charging an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

mikeecho wrote: »
    Will the new smart meters for electricity supply be able to differentiate between household electric use, and charging an EV

No

Smart networks will, in fact they will have to as the current infrastructure could not support everyone charging their EV at once.

Smart networks will,...

How?

... in fact they will have to as the current infrastructure could not support everyone charging their EV at once.

Its correct to say that current grid couldnt handle all cars switching to EV overnight but thats not going to happen so I think you're working off a false premise there.

It will be several decades before every car is an EV. The grid is being upgraded continuously and will have plenty time to adopt to increasing EV usage.

KCross wrote: »
    How?

Its correct to say that current grid couldnt handle all cars switching to EV overnight but thats not going to happen so I think you're working off a false premise there.

It will be several decades before every car is an EV. The grid is being upgraded continuously and will have plenty time to adopt to increasing EV usage.

I’m purely going off a lecture I was at last year. It was delivered by ESB, he said they couldn’t possibly upgrade the network to deal with the current draw if everyone switched over. However there wouldn’t be near as much infrastructure required once the network was smart and could regulate who got what and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Back into the cities? There are more people than ever living in cities now than anytime in the past and it’s terrible for rural Ireland.

Rural Ireland is for living in not admiring by tourists and clowns down from Dublin for a weekend. The type of attitude you have disgusts me. People should live where they want to live, oyften beside their families etc in the areas they grew up.

Look you live away in your little dolls house stuck on top of another dolls house but it isn’t for me nor for an awful lot of people. You and your ilk would ruin rural Ireland by taking the people out of it given half a chance luckily keeping rural Ireland alive is a major part of Ireland plans going forward.
    It might be part pf peoples plans, but not the Government's plansThey are doing damn all to help rural life in a properly constructive way. Token amounts of money are frittered away on vanity projects. People dont need their lives to be planned for them by the government, they just need to be left to do their own thing, without government departments looking to control every aspect of their lives

Well if they can calculate/ regulate how and when you charge your EV with a smart meter, well that's the fuel duty almost taken care of.

Electricity for EV's would simply attract a higher charge.

• Advertisement

Well if they can calculate/ regulate how and when you charge your EV with a smart meter, well that's the fuel duty almost taken care of.

Electricity for EV's would simply attract a higher charge.

The smart meters cant do that though.

Even if they could you'd simply stop using your charge point and charge the car via a 3 pin plug and they'd have no idea if thats a kettle or a heat pump or anything else in your house. Its not like the car communicates with the transformer and says "Im a car, send me EV electricity". :D

Its highly unlikely they can target an electricity tax directly against charging your car at home as it would be trivial to work around it.

Much easier to tax EV's via motor tax and road pricing which they will do but thats years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They could always just slap a minimum or average EV standing charge on your electric bill or just increase the existing standing charge already on electric bills.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They could always just slap a minimum or average EV standing charge on your electric bill or just increase the existing standing charge already on electric bills.

That would hit everyone regardless of whether you have an EV or not. Try to get that tax through the Dail!

kceire wrote: »
    Says your man paying over a grand to Apple
    For the new iPhone ???

That's none of your business. But if you must know I don't drink or smoke not married or any kids. Just because someone buys a iphone doesn't mean they are millionaires

dodzy wrote: »
    Another thread reduced to heckling babble. Shame really.

Yeah I agree. It boils down to your purchases.

https://pinergy.ie/drive

Screenshot-20190929-163019-02.jpg
    The smart meters cant do that though.

Even if they could you'd simply stop using your charge point and charge the car via a 3 pin plug and they'd have no idea if thats a kettle or a heat pump or anything else in your house. Its not like the car communicates with the transformer and says "Im a car, send me EV electricity". :D

Its highly unlikely they can target an electricity tax directly against charging your car at home as it would be trivial to work around it.

Much easier to tax EV's via motor tax and road pricing which they will do but thats years away.

Smart metres.. can't differentiate when an EV is charging... Or can they

And

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2018/08/17/smart-meters-could-help-ev-drivers-cut-bills

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That would hit everyone regardless of whether you have an EV or not. Try to get that tax through the Dail!

Well if they plan to add additional taxes to motorists of ICE vehicles and they will once more people switch over then surely they can think of ways to tax EV owners too. They already know what type of car you own through the motor tax/registration system. Don't underestimate what they can do or legislate for when they need/want to. They brought in the universal social charge as well as property tax.

There’s a big difference between new time based tariffs as a result of smart meters being installed and the ability to tax the electricity that goes to just the EV.

Just read the rest of their blurb on it. It’s free units at particular times. The meter doesn’t know if it’s your EV or your PlayStation is using the units! :)

One of the benefits of smart meters is to allow more time based tariffs as the smart meter takes/sends readings every 15mins so the providers can then target cheaper tariffs at times where electricity is in surplus... it’s an improvement on the day/night rate tariffs that we have today as the current meters only have two counters. Smart meters will have the data on 15min intervals.

Well if they plan to add additional taxes to motorists of ICE vehicles and they will once more people switch over then surely they can think of ways to tax EV owners too. They already know what type of car you own through the motor tax/registration system. Don't underestimate what they can do or legislate for when they need/want to. They brought in the universal social charge as well as property tax.

Of course they will. I’m under no illusions that the govt aren’t going to get their pound of flesh.

It’s a long way off though as EVs are a tiny % so far.

• Advertisement

Hard to know if the government will tax elec used for charging EVs, surely the carbon tax will be across the board on your electricity, and the greener our electricity becomes through decarbonisation the less we should pay. Smarter distribution networks will allow the providers to incentivise charging during non peak times but I’d imagine the carbon tax portion of your bill will be unit based, we’ll have to see I guess

One thing they could easily do is introduce congestion charges. I would welcome that.

Advertisement