Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 2020 new motor tax scale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

They'll just add one more line to the ESB bill: "EV levy".

So on your bill you'll have Standing Charge, PSO Levy, Carbon Tax, ....EV Levy..., and VAT.

Even now I've see ESB bills where the fixed charges exceed the actual consumption of electricity.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Rural Ireland is for living in not admiring by tourists and clowns

Just back from driving the full Wild Atlantic Way after working on the marketing project for years.

As a keen motorist I'd advise you to calm down, get out of the traffic, open up the throttle and do likewise!

You'll soon change your mind about what real rural Ireland has to offer the motorist!!

John_Rambo wrote: »

As a keen motorist I'd advise you to calm down, get out of the traffic, open up the throttle and do likewise!
    !!

I do this every evening on my way home and a little in the mornings too, once I get out of the city I have open road and some nice backroads also on my way home from work to enjoy some spirited driving.

I do this every evening on my way home and a little in the mornings too, once I get out of the city I have open road and some nice backroads also on my way home from work to enjoy some spirited driving.

I meant on the Wild Atlantic Way or similar stunning area! You'll see what attracts tourists to rural Ireland and the benefits it brings to the local economy.

I meant on the Wild Atlantic Way or similar stunning area! You'll see what attracts tourists to rural Ireland and the benefits it brings to the local economy.

I have no issue with tourists, they are very welcome my point was that firstly there is a large portion of rural Ireland that aren’t tourist areas they are places to be lived in and same for the tourist areas these are people home areas and they communities we should not be trying to stop people from living in these rural areas into the future.

• Advertisement

I have no issue with tourists, they are very welcome

That's better. I'll continue to holiday in and around rural Ireland comfortably with your blessings! One of the best playgrounds Europe has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭mondeo

What country in Europe has the most outrageous car tax system ? Surely there is a country tearing up the rule book and taxing the sweet christ out of people ? Is that Ireland or did I hear wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

I believe vrt rates in Denmark are far in excess than ours. Many older cars are maintained as a result of taxes on newer cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

More info IT

If this is correct, it's imports that will be the most affected, esp as a percentage of the value of the car.
    A new new environmental health surcharge which would be linked to nitrogen oxide and other pollutants, is expected to be introduced in next week’s budget,
    on all new petrol and diesel cars, as well as on used imports.

Varadkar / M.Martin have said there will be climate change policies in budget - with a carbon tax increase of between €5 and €10 per tonne expected.

It would replace the 1 per cent VRT surcharge on diesel vehicles and would be paid on top of VRT.

DoF have laid out options for charges of €5, €7.50 or €10 per mg/km of NOx.

An average new diesel car, with an NOx level of 43mg/km, = €215, €323 and €430 respectively,
    Average new petrol car = €115, €173 and €230.
    ..significantly higher for used imports.

The existing diesel surcharge is seen as problematic since a new diesel car worth €30,000 is paying twice the levy as a secondhand, higher emissions imported car valued at €15,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

+1

I did part of the WAW a few yrs ago.
    It was absolutely fantastic.

It really opened my eyes as to why the Yanks and Germans fall in love with this island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

mondeo wrote: »
    What country in Europe has the most outrageous car tax system ? Surely there is a country tearing up the rule book and taxing the sweet christ out of people ? Is that Ireland or did I hear wrong ?

Try looking at the Netherlands.
    1. Tax on cc
    2. Tax on co2
    3. Tax on weight of car.
    4. Tax on how close you are to the city centre.

And don't get me started on speeding fines .,.. they are considered part and parcel of running a car (but they don't have a points system... It's just a tax on speeding)

And if you convert your car to run on LPG, they recalculate the weight of your car, so you pay more tax.

The grass isn't always greener

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

Right dont really understand the new rates im currently payin 280euro a year , so what will my new rate be??? Its a 1.5 diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

mondeo wrote: »

Probably Denmark is the worst.
    Then Ireland and Netherlans quite similar in lever of motor-rip-off.
    Germany, UK, France and most other big EU countries don't really have much motor-related taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

CiniO wrote: »
    Probably Denmark is the worst.
    Then Ireland and Netherlans quite similar in lever of motor-rip-off.
    Germany, UK, France and most other big EU countries don't really have much motor-related taxes.

Duty on diesel inthe U.K. is 50% higher than Ireland, roughly 65c per litre vs 42.5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just back from driving the full Wild Atlantic Way after working on the marketing project for years.

You'll soon change your mind about what real rural Ireland has to offer the motorist!!

and for icing on top : do it on a motorbike.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

how did the irish road haulage association get the commercial tax on artics down from 3000 to 500 euros,about time the AA or some motoring organization could do the same for the hard pressed motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 23,288 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya the tax reduction for trucks was a massive win for them.
    The woman boss of their association appears very good when on tv. Likely had a big hand in it.
    Nobody to represent the motorist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

turbocab wrote: »
    how did the irish road haulage association get the commercial tax on artics down from 3000 to 500 euros,about time the AA or some motoring organization could do the same for the hard pressed motorist

The AA are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,543 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Phil.x wrote: »
    The AA are a joke.

The FAI of motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya the tax reduction for trucks was a massive win for them.
    The woman boss of their association appears very good when on tv. Likely had a big hand in it.
    Nobody to represent the motorist though.

That would be Verona. Only a matter of time before she's grabbed by FF/FG to run in the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Fann Linn wrote: »
    That would be Verona. Only a matter of time before she's grabbed by FF/FG to run in the next election.

She is on the FG ticket in Wexford for the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

mgn wrote: »
    She is on the FG ticket in Wexford for the next general election.

Not surprised to be honest. Very well versed. However I'd be reluctant to give her even a transfer for running for that shower.

She'll end up like George Lee, very capable, but will be made impotent by the political system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm always amazed how the AA gets so much air time on likes of rte or virgin....

They aren't the answer to everything or for everyone.

They are a company in it to make money off all of us if they can get your custom....

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not surprised to be honest. Very well versed. However I'd be reluctant to give her even a transfer for running for that shower.

She'll end up like George Lee, very capable, but will be made impotent by the political system.

That's the problem nowadays, all media trained talking like robots and told what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Phil.x wrote: »
    The AA are a joke.

Every single time you hear that Conor Faughnan on the radio or tv he’s always justifying increases or new laws to penalize motorists. He’s an absolute prick of the highest order.

Every single time you hear that Conor Faughnan on the radio or tv he’s always justifying increases or new laws to penalize motorists. He’s an absolute prick of the highest order.

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,288 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be fair he was on yesterday saying a petrol and diesel price increase shouldn't take place until there were reasonable alternatives to using the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,797 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Climate Change is an excuse to introduce another tax on people. It raises €400 million a year but it goes straight into the general exchequer pot. Does it help lower emissions ? No!
    Maybe if the money was used to replace every diesel bus in Dublin it would be something, but the money goes straight into the coffers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Climate Change is an excuse to introduce another tax on people. It raises €400 million a year but it goes straight into the general exchequer pot. Does it help lower emissions ? No!
    Maybe if the money was used to replace every diesel bus in Dublin it would be something, but the money goes straight into the coffers.

It's death by 1000 cuts. Carbon taxes, motor taxes, increased property taxes water etc,.

How much longer will people take this ****e? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,543 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The only plus was Lorenzo was a slight breeze of wind, if it was big damage they would use it as an excuse.

Advertisement