Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭amandstu

mod9maple wrote: »
    He's struggling to read an autocue.

I think this has been reported as a weakness he has.

It is not so much the weakness that is so bad ,it is his refusal to admit it and so he pollutes the airwaves with his self referential evasions.

If only that was the worst of his foibles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Time for impeachment?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Time for impeachment?

I said above I reckoned this was different. Seems like the hammer is about to fall....

https://twitter.com/howardfineman/status/1176539782861729792?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Watching Trump at the UN.

I still can't reconcile myself with this specimen being the President of the United States.

Didn't watch it but was the greatest hits album again or was there any new singles released ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Saw a headline pop up on my phone. Did he double down on the holding of aid to Ukraine thing whilst making a speech at the UN?

• Advertisement

Saw a headline pop up on my phone. Did he double down on the holding of aid to Ukraine thing whilst making a speech at the UN?

No idea. But given how himself and Americas Mayor's story has changed and moved since it emerged there was an intelligence concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Cody montana

everlast75 wrote: »
    I said above I reckoned this was different. Seems like the hammer is about to fall....

It's about time, he has to be held accountable.
    Shame the senate are spineless.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

everlast75 wrote: »

It's about time, he has to be held accountable.
    Shame the senate are spineless.

What's the point to be honest.

It will die in the Senate , you might get a few republicans to support the vote, but there is not a snowballs chance in hell that 20+ of them are going to vote against him.

I understand the position that Pelosi has held up to now. Impeachment is a hiding to nothing.

Everyone that hates Trump will hate him a bit more , everyone that supports him will continue to support him and in fact may be energised to get out and vote for him as he'll play the victim card hard.

Hard as it may be to have to appear to ignore his behaviour , but the only way to get rid of him is at the ballot and the only way to do that is to hammer him repeatedly on his abject failure to deliver on a single one of his election promises.

You are not going to get Rust belt voters to switch sides by telling them that Trump is a nasty, lying, self dealing piece of work , you are going to get them to switch by continuously and endlessly reminding them of how much worse off they are with him in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

People miss the point that the discussion on Impeachment will take place over weeks/months in the House of Reps on TV everyday, dominating the news.
    Death by a thousand cuts.

NBC News are reporting that Nancy pelosi the speaker of the house is to announce formal impeachment inquiry of President Trump. Well buckle up lads as this upcoming election just got turbocharged if this reporting is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Water John wrote: »
    People miss the point that the discussion on Impeachment will take place over weeks/months in the House of Reps on TV everyday, dominating the news.

Precisely!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Water John wrote: »

So long as they take a Barry Berke vs Corey Lewandowski approach and not that ridiculous 5 minutes per camera-hogging rep approach of normal hearings...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

This is a new and potentially interesting twist...Senate repubs actually comng out ever ever so slightly against Trump...

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1176595517570203651

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    NBC News are reporting that Nancy pelosi the speaker of the house is to announce formal impeachment inquiry of President Trump. Well buckle up lads as this upcoming election just got turbocharged if this reporting is true.

Ditto breaking news on RTE1 TV news live from NYC. Plus statement referenced as from Don that he will release the transcript of his conversation with Polish President tomorrow.

Ludo wrote: »
    This is a new and potentially interesting twist...Senate repubs actually comng out ever ever so slightly against Trump...

On the face of it, that is huuuge!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I wonder why? Do they believe that there is nothing substantial to find and can point to 'another' failed attempt to smear Trump? Or are they finally jumping the Trump ship?

I wonder why? Do they believe that there is nothing substantial to find and can point to 'another' failed attempt to smear Trump? Or are they finally jumping the Trump ship?

Its probably too early to hope.... but worms do sometimes turn...

It's one act. It's helpful but it'll mean nothing if they don't keep it going.

Maybe it might have something to do with the fact that November 2020 isn't all that far away and a good number of GOP are up this time compared to the reverse in the 2018 mid term elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Maybe it's the first legitimate situation where impeachment might actually be successful? And there is an undeniable cause to move forward with such a measure which can garner bi-partisan support?

That's the most obvious conclusion in my eyes, the Russia stuff was never going to go anywhere and Pelosi ( + rest of Dems behind closed doors ) knew it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,242 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://edition.cnn.com/ the announcement has been made, though not much other info yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

If he manages to last to 2020 and win I would be shocked... he is looking and sounding awful... that U.N. speech was not good....
    I don’t think he would take part in a debate....it would beyond a car crash..... he could be gone before Christmas

If he manages to last to 2020 and win I would be shocked... he is looking and sounding awful... that U.N. speech was not good....
    I don’t think he would take part in a debate....it would beyond a car crash..... he could be gone before Christmas
    Not good in what way ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Transcript will be out tomorrow, if he mentioned holding funds or anything of that ilk while talking about an investigation into Hunter Biden he's done for. That's the clearest quid pro quo you could come across and it's doubly damaging because he'd be using tax payer money to attack potential political opponents. Most if not all Republicans won't be able to defend him on that.

If he solely mentioned Hunter Biden he'll probably scrape through it as he'll have plausible deniability. That's what Trump is currently claiming, we'll know for sure tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This must be the biggest Trump related non story of them all?

I wonder what topics will get knocked off the news agenda to cover this ongoing circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

peddlelies wrote: »
    Maybe it's the first legitimate situation where impeachment might actually be successful? And there is an undeniable cause to move forward with such a measure which can garner bi-partisan support?

That's the most obvious conclusion in my eyes, the Russia stuff was never going to go anywhere and Pelosi ( + rest of Dems behind closed doors ) knew it.

Yes, but unanimous Republican support? Not one Republican senator demurred. The optics of that are incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Excellent news, it'll wrap him up in so much process he'll hardly have time to do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yes, but unanimous Republican support? Not one Republican senator demurred. The optics of that are incredible.

Likely means there is nothing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Excellent news, it'll wrap him up in so much process he'll hardly have time to do anything else.

But he's done hardly anything since he came into office! That's the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Inquitus wrote: »
    Likely means there is nothing in it.

Nobody knows that yet. Not even the Senators. Must be something in it when the Intelligence Chief didn't follow the procedure and pass it onto Congress himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement