Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

peddlelies wrote: »
    Transcript will be out tomorrow, if he mentioned holding funds or anything of that ilk while talking about an investigation into Hunter Biden he's done for. That's the clearest quid pro quo you could come across and it's doubly damaging because he'd be using tax payer money to attack potential political opponents. Most if not all Republicans won't be able to defend him on that.

If he solely mentioned Hunter Biden he'll probably scrape through it as he'll have plausible deniability. That's what Trump is currently claiming, we'll know for sure tomorrow.

Trump's release of the transcript is meaningless on its own.., The whistleblower apparently referred to multiple instances that raised concerns... Quid pro quo would have been implied, probably by Rudi in the many earlier contacts, and would not have been spelled out on any call by Trump, with all his Mafia/gangsterisms from decades in NYC/New Jersey.

The whistleblower has offered to appear before Intelligence committees.. Thats what those who are cleared for such matters need to focus on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

But he's done hardly anything since he came into office! That's the point.

He's done plenty, just not constructively. He's revoked and repealed any number of laws since he took office.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Inquitus wrote: »
    Likely means there is nothing in it.

That's what I was wondering. Or else they know the game might be up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,127 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Inquitus wrote: »
    Likely means there is nothing in it.

McConnell knew he hadn't the votes to stop it.

He doesn't contest that which he cannot win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not good in what way ?

Very lethargic

• Advertisement

Transcript will be out tomorrow, if he mentioned holding funds or anything of that ilk while talking about an investigation into Hunter Biden he's done for. That's the clearest quid pro quo you could come across and it's doubly damaging because he'd be using tax payer money to attack potential political opponents. Most if not all Republicans won't be able to defend him on that.

If he solely mentioned Hunter Biden he'll probably scrape through it as he'll have plausible deniability. That's what Trump is currently claiming, we'll know for sure tomorrow.

The transcript isn't worth a damn. He'll probably take his trusty sharpie to it, isn't that right Pete ;)

Agreed re quid pro quo, but that's not needed. Plenty of damage done by him already.

Rudy shouldn't be sleeping well either...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The DNI is not failing to follow procedure, he is breaking the law.

Very lethargic

Probably a combination of exhaustion from running the 4-ring Trump Circus all Summer, coupled with having to use an autocue which he seems to really hate...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The transcript is just a silly gambit that he scrambled together after he found out that McConnel wasn't going to block Schumer's resolution.

The adults will try to deter him from doing so as it would put a lot of countris on edge if their conversations with the President would be released on a whim by an undiciplined leader. Add to that the Impeachment announcement, and Trump might just forget about it. And lets not forget that he has promised to release other things before and didn't.

I wouldn't be so sure that it will be released nor do i think it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Probably a combination of exhaustion from running the 4-ring Trump Circus all Summer, coupled with having to use an autocue which he seems to really hate...

Doesn’t he only sleep 3 or 4 hours a night..... I wonder where he gets his energy from ? Maybe he meditates during his “executive time” ???

• Advertisement

Very lethargic

Low energy, you might say.

The content was mad though. Sounded like a Stephen Miller manifesto before he finally poisons the koolaid.

But yeah, the delivery was shîte.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Doesn’t he only sleep 3 or 4 hours a night..... I wonder where he gets his energy from ? Maybe he meditates during his “executive time” ???

Its very odd isn't it?

He eats poorly and he admits his only exercise is on the golf course.

I know its ghoulish but even putting aside Trump's politics, I do wonder will his body be able to handle another possible few years in such a role.

Water John wrote: »
    The DNI is not failing to follow procedure, he is breaking the law.

IGIC seems to have played a blinder, though! The trouble with the DNI is the "Acting" bit. And he got cover from lawyers up the chain of command. So its unlikely he'll be found to have broken laws, so long as he followed procedure(s) while he punted the complaint throughout the Intelligence and DoJ firmament..

Yes, but unanimous Republican support? Not one Republican senator demurred. The optics of that are incredible.

Trump will survive only because the republicans have nothing else for 2020.

Mitch knows no Trump and the senate along with the presidency is gone.

If they had someone more electable then who knows?

But Mitch is not going to trust someone as drab as Pence or any senate republican to beat Warren/Sanders/Biden in 2020.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Trump will survive only because the republicans have nothing else for 2020.

Mitch knows no Trump and the senate along with the presidency is gone.

If they had someone more electable then who knows?

But Mitch is going to trust someone as drab as Pence or any senate republican to beat Warren/Sanders/Biden in 2020.

We're getting waaaaay ahead of ourselves.... but I wouldn't rule out a revival of Mitt Romney if a Plan T was called for.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Imagine what a credible alternative could achieve right now?

cc @Elizabeth Warren; Jeremy Corbyn

• Registered Users Posts: 53,953 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is there any reason why Nancy didnt wait for the transcript of the Trump talking to the Ukraine president which is meant to release tomorrow?

We're getting waaaaay ahead of ourselves.... but I wouldn't rule out a revival of Mitt Romney if a Plan T was called for.....

Romney is 72:eek:. Christ, clearly not on the Trump diet.

Trumpers would stay at home if he was picked, he would have to give them something e.g right wing VP or hardline immigration policies.

I think Hailey would be their best and only chance in 2020 if Mitch figured Trump wasn't worth the risk. The Trump base seem to like her and the professional anti trumpers also are fans. She has been very clever in trying to balance both bases as obviously she has her eye on the presidency some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Headshot wrote: »
    Is there any reason why Nancy didnt wait for the transcript of the Trump talking to the Ukraine president which is meant to release tomorrow?

Maybe she doesn’t believe that he will actually release the transcript tomorrow and if he does it’s very possible it won’t be fully unredacted given that two of the senior members of Trumps cabinet(I think two of the very few who aren’t acting) over the weekend were very much against releasing it. Given what has happened tonight he may not release it at all given that he is claiming presidential harassment on Twitter this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Dems believe that info on Biden was asked for. That is enough for impeachment. Any hint of withholding funds is a bonus.

• Advertisement

The call is just one part of the whistleblower's complaint. It's a red herring. It could even sound completely innocent without the context of the complaint. And, as has been pointed out, there's no chance that a full and unedited transcript of the conversation will be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

As much as I want it to happen I can't see impeachment working for this as there won't
    be enough republican senators turning against him. Particularly when he still have very high support amongst the republican party followers it was in the 80 plus percent last time I heard. If that was to change though, only then I could see the republican party start dumping him and impeachment getting across the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Headshot wrote: »

I think Trump made the announcement when they thought the impeachment inquiry was going to be announced as a way of nullifying it. Dave Chappelle had a section in his recent special about reading court transcripts for me too trials, I think the conversation will read like that, intent will be missing.

Just looking through social media briefly I see the bots are on full alert, " thanks for electing Trump again" are the main sentiment by the ignorant. Anyone who has been following the tug of war with the decision to start impeachment inquiry will know it is just a first step in the process to impeach, it may never get to the stage where congress go through with it. What it does mean is they have greater powers to get information and get people to testify. Stuff like the tax returns (not 100% sure exactly them) will be easier to get. It does bring the crimes of the administration to the daily news just like the active measures used by Trump/Russia against Clinton with the leaked emails did in 2016, so that cannot be a bad thing. As for the idea it will embolden the Trump supporters to rally come 2020, if they did nothing and just let him commit as many crimes against the country they will just think he is doing a great job and continue to support him. This way some of the low information voters might accidentally learn how bad he is.

Reports are that Trump rang Pelosi to see if they could work something out on the whistle blower issue shortly before the meeting.

The idea that he doesn't think he's in trouble is nonsense.

Meanwhile, rudi is on Fox waving his phone about as proof Pompeo rang him about going to the Ukraine. I guess ge feels like he's being thrown under the bus.

Saw this online - thought this was worth sharing..

https://twitter.com/MikeSacksEsq/status/1176626430890958850?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The interviewers face in that Rudi clip is great. She knows this is not what is supposed to happen.

Rudi has admitted that we went to Ukraine on direct DOJ orders and that he has proof.

So the phone call is merely the tip of the iceberg.

Who was leading the DOJ decisions, why Rudi, did Trump know, did Rudi tell Trump, what happened in the meetings, did he report to DOJ?

And of course the multiple strands that flow from each of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Who was leading the DOJ decisions, why Rudi, did Trump know, did Rudi tell Trump, what happened in the meetings, did he report to DOJ?

Rudi is clearly trying to drag Pompeo into it so as to pretend he was not just Trump's personal lawyer.

Note also Rudi's previous trips to Ukraine to try to get Manafort off the hook.

Rudy should be dragged before the intelligence committee this week and threatened with contempt until he divulges the truth.

He is a private citizen who doesn't work for the White House and so no executive privilege exists.

Attorney client privilege doesn't exist as he spoke about it all on national TV.

He seems to be throwing Pompeo under the bus because there were reports this was a solo run by Rudy.

Rats and sinking ship springs to mind

everlast75 wrote: »
    Rudy should be dragged before the intelligence committee this week and threatened with contempt until he divulges the truth.

He is a private citizen who doesn't work for the White House and so no executive privilege exists.

Attorney client privilege doesn't exist as he spoke about it all on national TV.

He seems to be throwing Pompeo under the bus because there were reports this was a solo run by Rudy.

Rats and sinking ship springs to mind

I have no doubt that Pimpeo had a role to play, as The Don would have told all his caporegimes that they had to show fealty and 'work with' Rudy to get the thing done. But that scheme to create a 'Dirty Bidens' narrative is a Trump/Giuliani scheme and it's only Rudy's delusions that have turned a State Dept introduction to Zelensky's people into some secret mission that Rudy was doing at the request of State.

As The Don is reputed to have whined when Mueller was appointed, Rudy must surely be thinking "I'm ****ed"!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Christy42

I have no doubt that Pimpeo had a role to play, as The Don would have told all his caporegimes that they had to show fealty and 'work with' Rudy to get the thing done. But that scheme to create a 'Dirty Bidens' narrative is a Trump/Giuliani scheme and it's only Rudy's delusions that have turned a State Dept introduction to Zelensky's people into some secret mission that Rudy was doing at the request of State.

As The Don is reputed to have whined when Mueller was appointed, Rudy must surely be thinking "I'm ****ed"!
    Rudy has somehow managed to still be vaguely around despite repeated slip ups such as referring to the Muslim ban as a Muslim ban etc. (Remember that, we need a ban for several months while we improve our security, months go by with it stuck in court and then they still try and implement it - surely they would have improved the security while it was stuck in court?!?)

Also remember that he said there were no Islamic attacks on US soil before Obama!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,560 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Pompeo has been around the Washington block more than once as an insider for Rudy to have much chance of catching him with his pants down, he'd be on to a hiding for nothing to think he can throw Pompeo under the bus for the boss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement