Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Poverty is going down! Be the hokey, these folks will say anything!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Poverty is going down! Be the hokey, these folks will say anything!

Oh yes, of course it is.
    In many ways America has split into a three class society, the mega rich, a shrinking middle class and a very large % of the population who live in a de facto third world country.

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellectualist/news/study-by-mit-economist-u-s-has-regressed-to-a-third-world-nation-for-most-of-its-citizens-Sb5A5HZ1rUiXavZapos30g/
    In the Lewis model of a dual economy, much of the low-wage sector has little influence over public policy. Check*. The high-income sector will keep wages down in the other sector to provide cheap labor for its businesses.* Check*. Social control is used to keep the low-wage sector from challenging the policies favored by the high-income sector.* Mass incarceration – check*. The primary goal of the richest members of the high-income sector is to lower taxes.* Check*. Social and economic mobility is low.* Check*.*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

noel1980 wrote: »
    Ok "Alliances" is too strong a word, but if it suits Russia for DJT to become president and Russia gets up to some **** DJT sits back and just lets it happen, then so what? There was no evidence of collusion found anyway. And you still haven't answered the question.

No, thank God

As it stands, there's one difference between Don Trump and the Dems & Republicans who were in Washington at the time of the election. He was coming to town to drain the swamp of them and their crookedness so in that respect they were honest, as against his "drain the swamp" promise to broker his deal between him and the electorate. His dishonesty beats theirs passing his previous record of lying and failing to honour his deals by a mile. You can hold the original Swamp Dwellers to account if you wish, but for you to be honest in your endeavours, you have to hold Don Trump to account first on the "last in, first out" basis cos he's at the top of the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

The American people will have their say in 2020 ... in the end what counts, and only counts, is each American citizen's perception of the effects Trump's policies have had in their lives. If they feel things are going well, they'll keep him in. Otherwise, they'll vote him out.
    Except that's not true.

Three million more Americans wanted Hillary Clinton than Donald Trump in the last election - in fact the Republicans have won the popular vote only once in the last seven presidential elections, and that was in 2004 before everyone realised that Afghanistan and Iraq would turn to sh1t.

Furthermore, many Americans are barred from voting due to the shenanigans that the Republicans play with voter registration. Add to that, the fact that convicted felons can't vote - since convicted felons are disproportionately black people who vote Democrat, this excludes more Democrat voters.

Universal suffrage has only been in place in America since 1965 - and since then Republicans have been doing all they can to reverse it. As a British conservative commentator put it:
    What does it say about us as Conservatives if our only hope for the next generation of voters is that they don’t vote?
    The notion that every American's vote counts is simply not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

rossie1977 wrote: »
    I would be pretty sure if Hillary Clinton had become president she wouldn't have been doing so to further her business.

This is just an incredible statement, I genuinely had to read it twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,005 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

peddlelies wrote: »

Credible or otherwise as any or all accusations against her are, there is 100% no way she would been as corrupt, abrasive, negligent, racist, shameless, brazen or downright embarrassing as Trump is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

peddlelies wrote: »

Yes Hillary Clinton would have put up foreign dignitaries in her resort hotels pretty much every week..oh wait.

Trump did not disassociate himself from the Trump business in any way. He held a sham press conference with a bunch of blank pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Looks like he put his foot in it by admitting he spoke with the Ukrainian President about investigating Biden's son. Yet still won't release the recording to congress. Every few weeks you realise how rotten the Republican's are and how cautious the Democrats are, worried about losing face if impeachment fails. The man should be ran out of office.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Who cares what HRC might've done? Since we don't know, and she's a private citizen, it's a waste of time to speculate. Might as well speculate what, I dunno, Ralph Nader might've done had he been elected in 2000 (imo, he would have been a disaster of epic proportion as a President.) Or Herman Cain. Or whoever.

What matters is what POTUS45 is *doing* and *has done* as POTUS.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Looks like he put his foot in it by admitting he spoke with the Ukrainian President about investigating Biden's son. Yet still won't release the recording to congress. Every few weeks you realise how rotten the Republican's are and how cautious the Democrats are, worried about losing face if impeachment fails. The man should be ran out of office.

This is the core issue right now.

The current GOP don't care what anybody thinks as long as they "win".

The Democrats care about what everybody thinks and as a result are losing.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1176147252869574657?s=20

Is he now confirming that money was brought into his call to Ukraine, and that he wasn't going to hand it over if they didn't investigate Biden?

Because if he is confirming that, that raises the stakes even higher. If money wasn't mentioned, it was an implied threat that it would be withheld. If it was specifically mentioned, well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1176147252869574657?s=20

Is he now confirming that money was brought into his call to Ukraine, and that he wasn't going to hand it over if they didn't investigate Biden?

Because if he is confirming that, that raises the stakes even higher. If money wasn't mentioned, it was an implied threat that it would be withheld. If it was specifically mentioned, well...

The word on the street is he dangled US military support against the Russian lead incursions into Ukraine.

The word on the street is he dangled US military support against the Russian lead incursions into Ukraine.

A similar story broke about that regarding Mueller in May of last year. Ukraine wanted missiles to be sold to them, so they (has to be at the request of Trump) stopped cooperating with Mueller's investigation

https://www.vox.com/2018/5/2/17311190/ukraine-mueller-trump-manafort-javelin

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s not even funny at this stage. I can’t believe there is a chance, and a good chance of Donald trump being re-elected president of the United States in 14 months time. If he’s doing the level of ****e he’s doing now just imagine what a Donald trump unencumbered with the annoyance of having to tailor his ramblings to be re-elected. Good god I take back anything I may have ever said about George W Bush. He’s a genius compared to this gob****e.

Its gas.

The mantra for 2 years was "no collusion".

Now its "There's nothing wrong with collusion"

Not looking so much the stable genius here...

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1176206521287544832?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It’s not even funny at this stage. I can’t believe there is a chance, and a good chance of Donald trump being re-elected president of the United States in 14 months time. If he’s doing the level of ****e he’s doing now just imagine what a Donald trump unencumbered with the annoyance of having to tailor his ramblings to be re-elected. Good god I take back anything I may have ever said about George W Bush. He’s a genius compared to this gob****e.

It really doesn't matter to large portion of Americans what Trump is, what he does or how many acquisitions are made against him. All they care about is the perception in their own heads that
    A: they are somehow better off under Trump/the next Republican regardless of suitability rather than any Democratic candidate
    B: somehow Trump/the republicans are standing up for their way of life etc (even though they may have difficulty articulating what that actually is)
    C somehow Trump/the Republicans are "Making America Great Again (even though they may have difficulty articulating what that actually is).

The rest of the world can watch on in morbid fascination as the culmination of decades of poor educational, social, political and economical decisions have led to Trump and will lead to the next variant of Trump. America was broken before Trump but his role as POTUS will mean anyone who genuinely wants to fix America in the future will face a near impossible task.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

25th Amendment time. He's mental. Any Cabinet members who fail to act soon will bear the blame for existential damage to the United States for the rest of their days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Larbre34 wrote: »
    25th Amendment time. He's mental. Any Cabinet members who fail to act soon will bear the blame for existential damage to the United States for the rest of their days.

Blimey!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I’m not sure if Trump is getting crazier or more transparent.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Not looking so much the stable genius here...

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1176206521287544832?s=19

From "lock her up" for the last contender to "the electric chair" for the next.

aloyisious wrote: »
    From "lock her up" for the last contender to "the electric chair" for the next.

Weld called it treason. That's a mighty and powerful statement for a Republican to be making and one for Trump to hear.

So he projects and says others should get the electric chair.

It's all he knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The electric chair remark was hyperbole, obviously. You know, exaggerated statements not meant to be taken literally?

As for what he said about the piranha-esque media, he's right, if Biden were a conservative politician, the media would have reported on it far differently than they have.

So trump is now claiming according to politico that the Nobel peace prize is “rigged against him.” I mean it’s not getting any better lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

So trump is now claiming according to politico that the Nobel peace prize is “rigged against him.” I mean it’s not getting any better lads.

What would he even get nominated for?

What would he even get nominated for?
    God knows but knowing him he thinks he deserves it. He might do what he did with the time magazine cover and fake it.

The electric chair remark was hyperbole, obviously. You know, exaggerated statements not meant to be taken literally?

As for what he said about the piranha-esque media, he's right, if Biden were a conservative politician, the media would have reported on it far differently than they have.

Seriously. Why do you even bother?

If Biden did anything wrong, let trump's own DOJ look into it.

But, you know it isn't about rooting out corruption. It's trump's ecosystem.

You know he's caught by his short and curlies. You don't deny it, he doesn't deny it, Rudy doesn't deny it.

What happened to your "no collusion" BS?

Now trump is saying he did collude, this time with Ukraine.

Are you telling me after two years of denying it, now there's nothing wrong with it?

Its disgusting, but you, like Trump, take aim at the media.

It's a weak and pathetic ploy and it won't work.

I'm embarrassed for anyone still supporting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

There's no "obviously" about it. He's a rambling incoherent mess and you're just divining your own meaning out of it. Much like reading tea-leaves or floor-vomit.

Do you not think that a world leader should be able to speak clearly and coherently in at least one language?

Seriously. Why do you even bother?

I'm quite fond of the truth.
    What happened to your "no collusion" BS?

Trump did not collude with Russia to fix the 2016 election. Do you have evidence to the contrary? If not, don't call it BS.
    Now trump is saying he did collude, this time with Ukraine.

Are you telling me after two years of denying it, now there's nothing wrong with it?

Its disgusting..

Eh, you're not making much sense.

He spent the two years denying he colluded with Russia to fix the 2016 presidential election... and he was proven right.

You think this current debacle shows that he did collude with Russia? Sorry, not following you.
    but you, like Trump, take aim at the media.

CNN, MSNBC, NYT and Wapo are all a shadow of their former selves. Partisan gossip merchants now. Little else.
    I'm embarrassed for anyone still supporting him.

Well, I'm embarrassed for anyone that has spent the guts of three years saying Trump should be impeached.

• Advertisement

There's no "obviously" about it.

There absolutely is an obviously about it.

You choose to believe that Trump really thinks Biden should get the chair because it fits your well touted narrative that he's delusional and insane, or whatever the charge is today.
    ....you're just divining your own meaning out of it. Much like reading tea-leaves or floor-vomit.

Nope, like I said, it was obvious hyperbole. Saying someone should get the chair is probably one of the most commonest hyperbolic expressions in fact. Indeed, Trump has used it before:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-if-i-got-cnn-questions-they-would-reinstitute-the-electric-chair
    Do you not think that a world leader should be able to speak clearly and coherently in at least one language?

Sure, but just because he isn't very articulate, let alone a great orator like his angelic predecessor, doesn't mean that utter nonsense being posted about him should be overlooked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement