Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There's no "obviously" about it.

There absolutely is an obviously about it.

You choose to believe that Trump really thinks Biden should get the chair because it fits your well touted narrative that he's delusional and insane, or whatever the charge is today.
    ....you're just divining your own meaning out of it. Much like reading tea-leaves or floor-vomit.

Nope, like I said, it was obvious hyperbole. Saying someone should get the chair is probably one of the most commonest hyperbolic expressions in fact. Indeed, Trump has used it before:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-if-i-got-cnn-questions-they-would-reinstitute-the-electric-chair
    Do you not think that a world leader should be able to speak clearly and coherently in at least one language?

Sure, but just because he isn't very articulate, let alone a great orator like his angelic predecessor, doesn't mean that utter nonsense being posted about him should be overlooked.
    No George W Bush wasn't very articulate but he wasn't an idiot like his republican predecessor as president who went you read transcripts of him talking makes Forrest Gump and doughal McGuire look like geniuses.

Pete, do you honestly think that Donald Trump actually cares about the people that voted for him, or work/worked for him in his administration ? He's shown time and again loyalty is a one way street with him. He expects loyalty but will never reciprocate it. That female journalist who passed away recently didn't even escape in death Trumps mean spirited remarks. He could have removed the first two lines of what he said about her and it would have been a presidential response to someone who seemed to well regarded in her field by many. He couldn't even do that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There's no "obviously" about it.

There absolutely is an obviously about it.

You choose to believe that Trump really thinks Biden should get the chair because it fits your well touted narrative that he's delusional and insane, or whatever the charge is today.
    ....you're just divining your own meaning out of it. Much like reading tea-leaves or floor-vomit.

Nope, like I said, it was obvious hyperbole. Saying someone should get the chair is probably one of the most commonest hyperbolic expressions in fact. Indeed, Trump has used it before:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-if-i-got-cnn-questions-they-would-reinstitute-the-electric-chair
    Do you not think that a world leader should be able to speak clearly and coherently in at least one language?

Sure, but just because he isn't very articulate, let alone a great orator like his angelic predecessor, doesn't mean that utter nonsense being posted about him should be overlooked.
    No George W Bush wasn't very articulate but he wasn't an idiot like his republican predecessor as president who went you read transcripts of him talking makes Forrest Gump and doughal McGuire look like geniuses.

Pete, do you honestly think that Donald Trump actually cares about the people that voted for him, or work/worked for him in his administration ? He's shown time and again loyalty is a one way street with him. He expects loyalty but will never reciprocate it. That female journalist who passed away recently didn't even escape in death Trumps mean spirited remarks. He could have removed the first two lines of what he said about her and it would have been a presidential response to someone who seemed to well regarded in her field by many. He couldn't even do that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

But Pete would you not call this current debacle an example of collusion? One that should be taken extremely seriously, as seriously as when it appeared Trump could have colluded with Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,121 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1176315528035602432?s=19

Official announcement on impeachment has to happen now

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1176320355947941894?s=19

Rudy throwing Pompeo under the bus.

Oh lord...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Gets hannitys name wrong and contradicts his previous statements, pretty standard Rudi. It isn't an accident.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176339522113679360?s=19

Donald J Trump really is a gormless, odious, envious, dismissive, arrogant ****.

I sincerely hope that little girl gets the nobel prize he so desperately craves.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,772 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm quite fond of the truth.

Just to point this out.

You certainly are not fond of the truth we have a year's worth of comments to back that up.

Now if you said I'm quite fond of game playing and deflection, yes I'd be on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, in other POTUS45 news, his evangelical backers have put him up to rattling the anti-abortion skeleton at the UN:
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/23/health/alex-azar-united-nations-universal-health-coverage-bn/index.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

One person has been banned for personal abuse.

On a broader level, the entire standard of posts over the past few pages hasn't been great. Rather issue a heap of sanctions, I'd urge everyone to go re-read the charter and try to make more of an effort with their contributions. In particular:
    Please remember that we are not a blog, a news feed nor an announcement forum - if you are not willing to discuss what you post, then please don't post it. Thread will be locked and posters may face a sanction for repeatedly breaking this rule. This forum is for discussion and debate and we will not tolerate soapboxing.
    High standards of debate and quality posts / threads are required. Repeated one liner, low quality style posts will result in a ban.
    Keep your language civil, particularly when referring to other posters and people in the public eye. Using unsavoury language does not add to your argument. Examples would be referring to other people or groups as scumbags, crusties, sheeple, shills, trolls, traitors or saying that recently deceased people should “rot in hell” or similar. Repeated use of terms like that will result in a ban from the forum.

If you're just here to post links to Twitter or take potshots at other posters, this isn't the place. If you post doesn't consist of at least one paragraph, think seriously before hitting "Submit"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1176315528035602432?s=19

Official announcement on impeachment has to happen now

Sounds like Bolton has started talking. Whatever about his shameless cnutishness, he wasn't going to go quietly. There are also many others who are concerned enough over this that the truth will get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Sounds like Bolton has started talking. Whatever about his shameless cnutishness, he wasn't going to go quietly. There are also many others who are concerned enough over this that the truth will get out.

How do you see Bolton fitting into this?

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Bolton was quoted that he would have his say and given how Trump berated him (calling him Mr. Tough Guy etc) I wouldn't be surprised if it was him.

That being said, it could be a plethora of people, including Coates.

We still don't know who wrote the Op-ed some time ago warning of Trump's thuggish behaviour. This isn't the first whistle blower type scenario. Its the first official one, but there have been many comments from people like Mattis and Tillerson (albeit off the record) which allude to Trump's inappropriateness in office.

It was always going to build to a crescendo. Perhaps that was Nancy's plan... give him enough rope and he will end up hanging himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Does this Ukraine scandal destroy Trump and Bidens 2020 chances ??? Definitely a boost for Warren.....

everlast75 wrote: »
    Bolton was quoted that he would have his say and given how Trump berated him (calling him Mr. Tough Guy etc) I wouldn't be surprised if it was him.

That being said, it could be a plethora of people, including Coates.

We still don't know who wrote the Op-ed some time ago warning of Trump's thuggish behaviour. This isn't the first whistle blower type scenario. Its the first official one, but there have been many comments from people like Mattis and Tillerson (albeit off the record) which allude to Trump's inappropriateness in office.

It was always going to build to a crescendo. Perhaps that was Nancy's plan... give him enough rope and he will end up hanging himself.

I'd be very surprised if Bolton turned out to be the whistleblower. The original complaint was made to the IGIC on Aug. 12th. Bolton was still in the White House for a month after that.

I won't be surprised if/when he does do a 'tell-all' as it appears that he's been shopping around for a book deal. However, the dates in this case just don't add up for me.

Does this Ukraine scandal destroy Trump and Bidens 2020 chances ??? Definitely a boost for Warren.....

Wouldn't think it does much to harm trump anyway, I mean he literally can do nothing that will stop his core voters supporting him. These people don't care about much other than sticking it to the libs so.......yeah, probably not.

Biden, sure it looked bad at the time optically, but from memory it was also dealt with at the time so I don't think this will really do much damage, I see Warren being the nominee anyway come the time as I have stated repeatedly since the beginning but there is still a long way to go.

Tell you what though, if some real evidence is put out of either man doing wrong, I know which ones won't lose a vote because of it and I know which one would. This tells you something about the voters and what they are concerned about.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I'd be surprised if Bolton is talking yet, think of the money he stands to make from a book deal to drop before the election next year. The less he says now the better for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

No consequences and everyone carries on in 5, 4, 3, 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Given nothing Trump does will put off his base what is the thinking re the numbers for 2020? I read that his base is shrinking, but the Reps will counter with Gerrymandering and voter suppression (go democracy).

What he does seems immaterial at this stage, so if the vote was today, or next year it makes no difference, how are the Reps looking V the Dems?

I think this is a game changer, especially if the story about withholding of funds is provable.

If the Reps are slow to condemn what Trump has done, the Dems should come out and say that if they win 2020, they are going after every son or daughter of the GOP, using the full weight of the office of President given that the Reps have no problem with that behaviour.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I wonder. 24 September, the day BoJo became a convicted liar (well, o.k.. hyperbole) and the day Trump's most recent criminal behavior sticks?
    Biden should testify to Congress that the President is threatening him, like Michael Cohen did, and urge them to impeach.

Igotadose wrote: »
    I wonder. 24 September, the day BoJo became a convicted liar (well, o.k.. hyperbole) and the day Trump's most recent criminal behavior sticks?
    Biden should testify to Congress that the President is threatening him, like Michael Cohen did, and urge them to impeach.

Hunter Biden is the key to any attempt at taking on Trump by the Bidens (although I imagine that would have to be in the courts rather than in Congress). Basically, assuming that there's absolutely no substance to the charges, there's been a demonstrable argument that Hunter has been defamed, born of malicious intent, designed to attack his father as a political opponent. Joe has limited grounds for doing much, I would say, other than to lobby for progress in the impeachment process in the House.

That said, I believe that, even if everything is squeaky clean with both the Ukrainian and China deals, Hunter has contributed to the 'fog of war' by appearing to get involved in businesses in both places, at more or less the same time as his father was involved with both countries in an official capacity as VP.

Of course, that is applying a more harshly honest set of thinking and standards to Hunter's behaviour than anyone in either the White House or Republican Party in Congress seems to have applied to the shenanigans of Javanka or the two Trump pups since they started feeding at the swill trough in 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

there's been a demonstrable argument that Hunter has been defamed, born of malicious intent, designed to attack his father as a political opponent.

Hunter Biden is a drug addict who used his fathers political influence to make lots of foreign money. Neither of those points are refutable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

peddlelies wrote: »
    Hunter Biden is a drug addict who used his fathers political influence to make lots of foreign money. Neither of those points are refutable.

Show us your proof...

Hunter Biden is a drug addict.....

Your characterisation of Hunter Biden as a drug addict is just a continuation of the GOP talking points which has little/nothing to do with the substance of the allegations being touted by Giuliani/Trump. So that's basically irrelevant, even it it was true, which it may not be, given that his previously acknowledged drug use had resulted in treatment.
    who used his fathers political influence to make lots of foreign money.

That's the point that has not been proven, and has indeed been debunked in previous media reporting, and considered by the investigation conducted by the previous Ukrainian authorities as having been without substance.
    Neither of those points are refutable.

I think you need to bring some evidence to the table rather than lazily trotting out Rudi's talking points, before your points can be considered irrefutable

Even if your statement is true (and I don't know - you've been asked for proof) - but let's assume it is..

Hunter Biden is a drug addict

Is that a crime?
    who used his fathers political influence to make lots of foreign money.

And what exactly is Ivanka Trump doing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I refute both. What’s your evidence?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,559 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The electric chair remark was hyperbole, obviously. You know, exaggerated statements not meant to be taken literally?

As for what he said about the piranha-esque media, he's right, if Biden were a conservative politician, the media would have reported on it far differently than they have.

We'll start with the media reporting on what he said: yes you're right, they would put a slant on what he said and I'm sure that he [like you] knows that. So maybe he says what he says with that in mind to WUMP them. There is a reason why he watches Fox News.

Another part of reportage is that the world media are reporting on what he says, not just WaPo, NYT or the Wall St Journal, so what he says is read around the world as the stated thoughts of the US President, not just as angry joe on speakers corner. He makes it very difficult to take what he says as plain speak if what you say is true, that it's hyperbole and not meant to be taken seriously.

The other world nations have foreign affairs/state depts. reading Dons statements so they can advise the head of their Govts on what the US Govt under the control of Don Trump means and may/will do, so they can respond safely to the US govt and its statements.

I noted the question mark at the end of your 1st Para and don't know if it was a typo or if you yourself are wondering if Dons statement was hyperbole and if anything he said can be taken genuinely seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Watching Trump at the UN.

I still can't reconcile myself with this specimen being the President of the United States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

He's struggling to read an autocue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement