Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

joe40 wrote: »
    Talk about alarmism..The idea that the UN, world governments, climate scientists etc are been led by a Swedish teenager.That my friend is world class alarmism.

Indeed - I agree gretas mutterings are indeed alarmism.

I was replying to this btw - hence the question ...
    "Tell wrote:
    ...Here is someone who has motivated the aforementioned world renowned policy and government organisations to invite her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

jackboy wrote: »
    Whatever about us in the west reducing our standards of living who is going to tell the Chinese,Indians and Africans to stop increasing their standards of living and go backwards.

It’s not realistic.

Spot on. You may as well ask the birds of the sky to all fly backwards.
    Dogma, a priest class, slogans, sins, prophets and saints, the works.

Stark analogy alright. All the parallels.
    I've had the misfortune to have to live through both. The angelus is there too every evening as a vestigial reminder of how all the official media organs were pushers of the church line. As for schoolteachers...

There is always some chicken-licken thing on the go - nuclear war, millenium bug, AIDS, the Mayan calendar.

This time they hit the jackpot because of its vagueness and refusal to lay down temp rises and dates that can be observed in our lifetimes - just this generic dystopian weather threat thing if you don't do as they say. So I don't know when it will end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

topper75 wrote: »
    Spot on. You may as well ask the birds of the sky to all fly backwards.

Stark analogy alright. All the parallels.
    I've had the misfortune to have to live through both. The angelus is there too every evening as a vestigial reminder of how all the official media organs were pushers of the church line. As for schoolteachers...

There is always some chicken-licken thing on the go - nuclear war, millenium bug, AIDS, the Mayan calendar.

This time they hit the jackpot because of its vagueness and refusal to lay down temp rises and dates that can be observed in our lifetimes - just this generic dystopian weather threat thing if you don't do as they say. So I don't know when it will end.
    Nuclear war, Aids, and the millennium bug were very real dangers, and not totally solved. (The Mayan calender was a joke you know that)
    They're not the same risk now because of the political and scientific effort that was put into to solving them. If public opinion helped, that is a good thing.
    In the same way climate change is a real threat, and will require political and scientific action. We may avoid the worst effects but not if the status quo is allowed to continue as some seem to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,966 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Awww isn't Leo lovely. He's gone over to NY to tell them that he's going to protect the less well off with all them lovely carbon taxes he's going to take off us....

Yeah... it's going to go to that lazy good for nothing git who lives up the road from me who stays in bed all day and couldn't be assed to look for a job, nice little rise in his dole......

There's always gonna be people without the drive or intelligence or god knows what to be able to go out and get a job. Just accept it, there really aren't that many of them these days, and I doubt you'd trade places with them.
    If the money collected from carbon taxes actually goes into green projects (which it probably wont knowing our terrible administration) I'd be all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

The oil and wider fossil fuel industry has a massive grasp and influence over our entire economies and over politics - with well known billionaire oligarchs who are proven to be funding entire propaganda networks, influencing politics, news media, social media, colleges, schools, scientific research - everything...

This is all well known and proven - no need for anyone to conspire, they don't bother - it's done out in the open...

Yet...we are supposed to believe there's a grand conspiracy from people like Greta, and the miniscule green energy industry (with several orders of magnitude less influence/power than the fossil fuel industry), to influence/corrupt politics and public discussion, to gain power and money?

It's farcical. It's so much more blindingly fucking obvious that the industry which has already corrupted politics and public discussion, has already gained democratically unsustainable levels of power and money - is the one doing their best to kill off facing environmental/climate realities, that will end their power/dominance if dealt with.

We already have the most vocal posters in this thread citing from these oil oligarchs ffs...

They don't even bat an eyelid when it's pointed out, either - it's astroturfing, guys...

• Advertisement

No one actually thinks the world is going to end in 12 years. The only ones banging on about that are the everything-is-fine brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This didn't go down too well...

Conservative commentator and climate change denier Dinesh D'Souza compares teen eco-warrior Greta Thunberg to an Aryan poster girl used by the NAZIS

18798668-7492489-image-a-29_1569193882848.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wait... a few pages ago she was getting grief for wearing Antifa gear, now she's a Goebbels inspired model? Which is it?!

All this because she has had pigtails, f*cking lol

There's always gonna be people without the drive or intelligence or god knows what to be able to go out and get a job. Just accept it, there really aren't that many of them these days, and I doubt you'd trade places with them.

off-topic really, but the idea that the only options here are "swap with them or be happy paying for them" is a ridiculous thing that ive seen pushed from the same few over the site.

tell you what, I wont swap with them, and ill see what options exist to discourage them from existing as a straight cost to the society we live in, including chatting rubbish about it on boards.ie if that appeals to me, hows that?

• Advertisement

No one actually thinks the world is going to end in 12 years. The only ones banging on about that are the everything-is-fine brigade.

you seem to think everyone an inch beyond your line is in that brigade.

and your figurehead, touted here as a major influence on every major governing body in world politics, keeps saying exactly what you claim nobody thinks to exactly these bodies.

now, one would think you're either confused or duplicitous.

you seem to think everyone an inch beyond your line is in that brigade.

and your figurehead, touted here as a major influence on every major governing body in world politics, keeps saying exactly what you claim nobody thinks to exactly these bodies.

now, one would think you're either confused or duplicitous.

She's not my figurehead, I just think we need to take serious action on some green issues. She's getting these issues in the spotlight which is great, but she's not the Messiah figure to me that right wingers keep telling me she is.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Wait... a few pages ago she was getting grief for wearing Antifa gear, now she's a Goebbels inspired model? Which is it?!

The issue is using children to push an ideology. You can't argue with kids and if you criticise anything they come out with (according to a few in this thread) you're a paedophile. Try discussing that bull****ology and here we are ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    we clearly interpret that completely differently, its clearly obvious that this means we re probably gonna surpass an irreversible tipping point in the 12 years, id imagine most adults realise this is what is meant by that statement from the ipcc

Ah so her statements, even though they are supposedly concrete and scientific, must be interpreted by the public, like the utterances of a Roman soothsayer or medieval mystic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

i see that "climate change deniers" has morphed into "climate action deniers"

i wonder what the difference is? both mean, of course, "people who dont do what i say despite my having zero authority over them"

and it's worth repeating again that painting anyone who has doubts over populist extremism such as that pushed by brand greta as "deniers" makes the person saying it look like....well.....exactly what they are.

people can have these doubts and still be all for green living, doing more for the environment, etc.

when you have to box anyone who doesnt toe your line to the inch into the category of "enemy" you are the problem, not them

i spose id better mention communism and capitalism, tho ive no idea why.

So, you're in favour of taking environmental actions and not polluting the sea, air or land, but not in favour of anyone being told to do so.

Literally that's it? :confused:

Simply told, You're not the Boss of Me. Talk about some toddler level of objection there. :D

its a toddler level of interpretation from yourself is what it is but lets lift the level a bit- i don't as a rule agree much with thelonious but their posts are at least a fair level at which to engage- aim for that or dont even @ me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

World Meteorological Organisation obviously knows less than many here.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1176089696952356864

She's not my figurehead, I just think we need to take serious action on some green issues. She's getting these issues in the spotlight which is great, but she's not the Messiah figure to me that right wingers keep telling me she is.

Those pointing out that she 'has a message' that she has 'special insight' that she is the 'voice of the climate movement' are the ones holding greta up as a messiah - no one else. Its worth bearing in mind she is also an alarmist - which ultimately does damage to any environmental cause. Btw how is left wing land?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sabat wrote:
    Ah so her statements, even though they are supposedly concrete and scientific, must be interpreted by the public, like the utterances of a Roman soothsayer or medieval mystic.

What?

The scientists at Met Eireann are clearly just more luvvies in on the latest leftist holier than thou craze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

AllForIt wrote: »

So people left some rubbish on the ground inside a convention centre that will be cleaned up by people employed to do so. This means climate change is all a big conspiracy I suppose? Talk about clutching at (paper) straws.

gozunda wrote: »
    Those pointing out that she 'has a message' that she has 'special insight' that she is the 'voice of the climate movement' are the ones holding greta up as a messiah - no one else. Its worth bearing in mind she is also an alarmist - which ultimately does damage to any environmental cause. Btw how is left wing land?

She does have a message. The same message many others have. She doesn't claim to be unique in that respect.
    She doesn't, nor does she claim to have special insight.
    She is the current voice of the climate movement because of the attention she has generated. That's a simple fact, not a sign of feeling she has a divine right. In NY last week, she didn't speak as she said she felt others deserved to do so.

All of your posts come back to an intense dislike bordering on hatred of what one 16 year old girl is doing. That's your own issue to deal with. You are presenting arguments which exist only in your head (and those of an equally conservative leaning I'd suggest) at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So people left some rubbish on the ground inside a convention centre that will be cleaned up by people employed to do so. This means climate change is all a big conspiracy I suppose? Talk about clutching at (paper) straws.

Oh so sorry - I thought climate change was caused by pollution. Forgive me for getting this wrong. Obviously climate change is caused by citizens not paying enough tax and shopping in pennies. And isn't it thoughtful that Labour party members throw their rubbish on the ground thereby providing employment for the working classes.

Oh so sorry - I thought climate change was caused by pollution. Forgive me for getting this wrong. Obviously climate change is caused by citizens not paying enough tax and shopping in pennies. And isn't it thoughtful that Labour party members throw their rubbish on the ground thereby providing employment for the working classes.

Since when are the labour party in Britain a bastion of the green policies and behaviour?

Do you really think that that image will be in any way different to the image at any of the other conferences, bar maybe the Greens?

It's as irrelevant a point as saying why is Greta tweeting if she wants to save the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I hope that image of the conference floor is shared and widely so as an example of thoughtlessness and how endemic the waste problem is with humanity.

Using as example of how people SHOULD behave, because the UK labour party does it, would be asinine.

What?

Its not that terribly difficult to understand tbh. But as per your last reply - just want a reaction maybe?
    say wha!
    actually,say wha to all of the above!
    im sorry im dump, im just a paid shill, can you explain it to me, even though it wont affect my pay in anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

This is the EXACT issue

change-1024x848.png

It's a major problem

Climate/Environment change/destruction or what ever you want to call the "Severe negative impact of humans on on this planet in terms of it's ability to support life" is definitely happening.

The issue is everyone is pointing at each other to change while completely resistant to change themselves.

The way I see it, there are 3 levels, and they all have issues
    1: Personal level
    2: Government/national level
    3: Global level

Personal is the likes of the tweet above; Everyone needs to take responsibility for their own actions... Basic sh*t like. Don't waste food or energy. Be mindful of what you buy and its impact on the environment. Make changes that make your life more energy efficient (where possible). Walk you kids to school instead of using the car. recycle what you can. Electric cars/Led lighting/solar panels etc. Obviously not everyone can make these changes but the people that can should make them.
    Without a doubt, collective personal changes will have the most positive impact

Government Level is more policy than action, as there is very little they can do without adding taxes to force people to do X instead of Y. Investment in public transport and power generation is an area they can impact though. Ireland falls far behind on this.
    If you have solar panels on your house and sell back to grid you get sweet F**k all for it. Most of our transport infra is Diesel fueled. etc
    Investment in Wind and Solar has been very low and slow.

Global is the likes of CO2 treaties and agreements on population control, etc. The reality is there is to many people in the world. By 2050 there will be 10 billion. There isn't enough space in the world to support food production for much more than that.
    They have F**k all impact, because as soon as there is a government change in some country, they can withdraw and then the treaty ceases to exist. Also countries like China and India (1.4 Billion people each) depend on having a population greater than everyone else to maintain their position of power.

• Advertisement

She does have a message. The same message many others have. She doesn't claim to be unique in that respect.She doesn't, nor does she claim to have special insight.She is the current voice of the climate movement because of the attention she has generated. That's a simple fact, not a sign of feeling she has a divine right. In NY last week, she didn't speak as she said she felt others deserved to do so. All of your posts come back to an intense dislike bordering on hatred of what one 16 year old girl is doing. That's your own issue to deal with. You are presenting arguments which exist only in your head (and those of an equally conservative leaning I'd suggest) at this point.

She is the current voice/ messiah because of the fear and scare apocalyptic stuff she comes out with.

She indeed has claimed special insight stating that her aspergers allows her to see things other do not and she see through the 'lies' told by adults etc. The same is apparently repeated in her mothers book - so not hard to see where those ideas came from.

I really wish people would stop lionising a naive child / teenager who believes civilisation is going tits up any day now. It isn't. End of story

Repeat I do not 'dislike' the child greta as you repeatedly throw at any one who criticises any part of this current debacle.. I dislike that she is being used as a figurehead and the inaccurate rubbish which is being spewed. Understand that?

I dislike that there can be no criticism allowed by her devotees and I criticise the way she is being held up a figure head by others like yourself and giving further voice to the craziness of daft doomsday propaganda.

Do you understand any of that or are you just going to repeat- 'whaaaaa - you are been nasty to greta'?

Strange logic for an adult to adopt for sure ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement