Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The above does not mean that you can rely on your GPS watch to measure 04:13/km pace and get you over the line sub-3. GPS is the inaccurate part here, not the course

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    According to Strava I've run 26.36 in both 2017 and 2018. I'm sure everyones varies

That’s a about right for me. Careful with pacers they’ve always gone out faster than I’ve liked for sub3 but that’s just my experience. I’ve done the sub3 a few times by keeping them in sight just then closing the gap gradually after about 15 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

Yeah, I've benefited from pacers in 10k's and halves before. That's what they're there for I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Hi Guys. Just curious to see what gels others use or have experience of. Are all the brands pretty much the same? How many gels do you usually take during a marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Tommy Max wrote:
    Hi Guys. Just curious to see what gels others use or have experience of. Are all the brands pretty much the same? How many gels do you usually take during a marathon?

High 5 for me. Easiest to take. Not too gloopy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I'm going for it this year - this is my fifth marathon and I think my times so far could potentially get me a sub-3 but will require everything to go right on the day

My marathon times so far have been 4:17 (DCM 2016), 4:01 (DCM 2017), 3:27 (Berlin 2018), 3:18 (DCM 2018)

I've put more effort into this years plan and am doing speed sessions now and have incorporated recovery runs so overall mileage is really up - currently doing approx 40-45 mpw which will jump to 55 over the next few weeks

The two runs I've done this summer are 10m (1:04) and Longford Half (1:26)

I'm going to do the Charleville Half and Naas 10k in the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I'm going for it this year - this is my fifth marathon and I think my times so far could potentially get me a sub-3 but will require everything to go right on the day

My marathon times so far have been 4:17 (DCM 2016), 4:01 (DCM 2017), 3:27 (Berlin 2018), 3:18 (DCM 2018)

I've put more effort into this years plan and am doing speed sessions now and have incorporated recovery runs so overall mileage is really up - currently doing approx 40-45 mpw which will jump to 55 over the next few weeks

The two runs I've done this summer are 10m (1:04) and Longford Half (1:26)

I'm going to do the Charleville Half and Naas 10k in the coming weeks

Splashthecash....genius :) I don't know what it says about me that I recognised you by your race times rather than your Boards name ;) won't be a million miles away from it pal....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

healy1835 wrote: »
    Splashthecash....genius :) I don't know what it says about me that I recognised you by your race times rather than your Boards name ;) won't be a million miles away from it pal....

Haha - I'm not very original :)

Legs feeling very heavy this last week - normally happens to me around halfway through the plan every year...gives me the usual "I'm not able for this" thoughts

It always comes right in the end though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Legs feeling very heavy this last week - normally happens to me around halfway through the plan every year...gives me the usual "I'm not able for this" thoughts

I'm having a serious dose of those thoughts this week:(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭devilabit

I have an outside chance of hitting the sub 3 hour in the DCM and am down for the half marathon at the end of next week. Considering I did a 32km run yesterday what kind of taper should I do this weekend and next week before the half. I would like to see how close I can get to 1.25 in the half to see where I am in regards to the full.

• Advertisement

devilabit wrote: »
    I have an outside chance of hitting the sub 3 hour in the DCM and am down for the half marathon at the end of next week. Considering I did a 32km run yesterday what kind of taper should I do this weekend and next week before the half. I would like to see how close I can get to 1.25 in the half to see where I am in regards to the full.

If it’s a priority race then you want to give it a good shot. I’d do some intervals tomorrow. And on Thursday 6 x min on/off. Friday off and Saturday 4 miles easy

As in a HM on Sat 21st/Sun 22nd? I wouldn't worry too much about tapering this week. Do whatever you might normally do or have planned, maybe cap your LR at 26/28k. Depending on your mileage, try and get some decent miles in on Mon/Tue next week, maybe a 400s session on Wed, turnover stuff not flat out, easy miles Thu and Fri rest.

Of course the question of whether or not to taper for a HM in a Marathon build up is another question entirely ;)

As in a HM on Sat 21st/Sun 22nd? I wouldn't worry too much about tapering this week. Do whatever you might normally do or have planned, maybe cap your LR at 26/28k. Depending on your mileage, try and get some decent miles in on Mon/Tue next week, maybe a 400s session on Wed, turnover stuff not flat out, easy miles Thu and Fri rest.

Of course the question of whether or not to taper for a HM in a Marathon build up is another question entirely ;)

Sorry I thought you were racing this week. Agree with every point above... don’t usually abide by it though 😂

Anybody recommend a good physio or physical therapist near merrion square to suit during work or near Lucan? getting some swelling on the knee which is worrying at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

Tommy Max wrote: »
    Anybody recommend a good physio or physical therapist near merrion square to suit during work or near Lucan? getting some swelling on the knee which is worrying at this stage.

Pearse street physio
    Conor or Tadhg

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Bar a few easy miles the day before, no taper. If you take it handy for 3 days before and recovery 3 days after you have lost a weeks training for a “B” race

Duanington wrote: »
    Pearse street physio
    Conor or Tadhg

Thanks for that. I have heard of Aidan woods at that practice. Any 3 of them are very good so I take it?

Please PM me any details with recommendations please.

Cheers all

Well the Rathoath half went better than expected last week, coming in at 1.21.42. Think it defo merits a go at breaking 3 hours. I need to manage and train the next few weeks correctly but nervously confident of going close!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Well the Rathoath half went better than expected last week, coming in at 1.21.42. Think it defo merits a go at breaking 3 hours. I need to manage and train the next few weeks correctly but nervously confident of going close!!!

Sheep, my conversion from Half to Full is poor but I think even I'd manage that!!

(Did miss out on the sub 3 off a 1.22.xx though :( )

Itziger wrote: »
    Sheep, my conversion from Half to Full is poor but I think even I'd manage that!!

haha just don't want to be counting any chickens just yet!!

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »

Don't think I was around these parts for that.......what happened?

Don't think I was around these parts for that.......what happened?

I might have to check the dates (getting old) but if memory serves me, I did a 1.22.3x or maybe .4x at the end of June and trained for Frankfurt.

Cramped early on, soon after halfway, semi-recovered for a few kms but things got ugly from about km 28 till finish. Calf and hamstring cramps. Hobbled home in 3.12 or 3.13

It was my first serious crack at sub 3 'n all. i think that was 2014.

Did another 1.22 in 2015 and also missed the sub 3!!

(Will check old Garmin records later to confirm)

Thanks Itziger. Like showing somone, who's afraid of sailing, a documentary on the titanic hust before they step on a boat for the first time!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Itziger, out of interest what sort of mileage were you doing for those marathon attempts?

Itziger, out of interest what sort of mileage were you doing for those marathon attempts?

Good question. Not very high and not very low. Probably about 60 miles for the core of the training. I just think I'm a slow learner when it comes to marathons. The negative is that it takes me years to improve but the positive is that I'm still improving! (At least I think I am. I'll get back to ye on Dec. 1st afternoon)

My marathon progression is (approx) as follows. Not counting training/prep marathons.

2011 - Aim 3.10 Result 3.32
    2011 - Aim 3.10 Result 3.25
    then, 3.14, 3.12, 3.09, 3.05, 3.03, 2.59.

Thing is, I can run a 3.08 with little prep or 29 degrees of heat. But those extra 10 minutes........I'm hoping for sub 2.55 this time around. A 4 minute PB at the tender age of 54.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

I’d say you’re nailed on

rooneyjm wrote: »
    I’d say you’re nailed on

I agree with this. You ran a half at like 6:10s. Go on out easy at 6:50 until 14 then bang on a bit

Body is still slightly in recovery mode since last Saturday but trying to come up with a plan for the HM tomorrow which I'll incorporate into a longer session. Considering one of two options. Any thoughts.?:

- 4m easy w/u, 2m/4m/4m/4m @MP with 0.5m easy in between, 1m easy c/d

- 6m easy w/u, HM at MP, 1m easy c/d

Body is still slightly in recovery mode since last Saturday but trying to come up with a plan for the HM tomorrow which I'll incorporate into a longer session. Considering one of two options. Any thoughts.?:

- 4m easy w/u, 2m/4m/4m/4m @MP with 0.5m easy in between, 1m easy c/d

- 6m easy w/u, HM at MP, 1m easy c/d

Tbh, the second just looks so much less complicated, I'd do that one. You'd need to take the W/U nice and easy though.

The problem with the first is, let's say you come to a water station just as you're starting an MP section, or a hill or I don't know what. If you were to do something like plan A above, why not make it 3x5miles at M and the 800 cruise between.

• Advertisement

What sort of key workouts would any of the experienced marathoners here recommend over the next few weeks?

How far out do you plan to do your last real long run of 20-22 miles? 3 weeks or 2 weeks out?

Anybody recommend a good running belt for carrying gels etc that is not bulky and wont bounce around?

Thanks

Advertisement