Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

In English it's you-be-soft. If it was ooh-be-soft the title cards would say "an Ubisoft game."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Definitely You-Bee-Soft. I don't care how the yanks pronounce it at e3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Why would it be Oo-bee-soft, if it was it would be spelled differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ubi come from Ubiquitous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

No, no, it's spelled Ubisoft, but it's pronounced Lootbisoft

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Don't know how it's pronounced, but the debate has given me flashbacks to watching Family Ties in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Don't know how it's pronounced, but the debate has given me flashbacks to watching Family Ties in the 80s.
    I have a warped thought every time I see an animal on an old-ish TV show or film, "That animal is probably dead..." Ubu sat for the last time in 1984 :(

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Untitled Goose Game has finally got a release date - and only a few weeks to go. I have been immensely looking forward to playing as the trolling bastard goose.

https://twitter.com/house_house_/status/1167467778153967616?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I will not lie, I have been looking forward to Untitled Goose Game since the moment it was announced. It's genuinely in my top 5 most anticipated and barring terrible reviews is likely to be a day 1 purchase :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Untitled Goose Game has finally got a release date - and only a few weeks to go. I have been immensely looking forward to playing as the trolling bastard goose.

https://twitter.com/house_house_/status/1167467778153967616?s=21
    https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1167471414481489920

• Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

There is wet weather racing in Gran Turismo Sport now. Just completed my first wet race at the Red Bull Ring in Austria.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Based on some teases from Simogo, very possible we’ll get a Sayonara Wild Hearts release date (release even?) at today’s Apple event.

Been looking forward to it for even longer than Goose Game (basically since Simogo announced they were working on a new game), so could be a very good few weeks for indie releases on Switch!

Interesting video here from William Chyr, developer of the long in the making and rather fantastic looking Manifold Garden. Just for a bit of background, he announced the game would be an Epic exclusive on PC launch a few weeks ago. He made the decision to respond in good faith to almost every negative comment he received online:

Few fascinating tidbits. While the exact details of the Epic deal are NDA’ed, he points out the money recouped development costs, paid back investors and guaranteed he could keep on staff for post-release support. That’s a pretty extraordinary safety net for a tiny studio.

Anyway, felt it was worth sharing as it’s probably the best case I’ve seen of a developer communicating these arguments in a no-nonsense and non-combative way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't played a 'standard' Mario platformer since that first DS one ("New Super Mario Bros." IIRC), further back again with previous hardware; it kinda became one of those franchises I was happy to know still existed, but rarely actually played. Part of the gaming furniture really.

So finally got around to playing Odyssey on my new Switch and ... damn. Between AAA shenanigans making me cynical towards my hobby, and indie subversions that rarely deliver a refined experience, I had forgotten the simple and highly-polished pleasure that comes with a Nintendo Mario game. I've no idea how purists see Odyssey - and don't really care either tbh - but as a lapsed Mario gamer, it has been something of a palette cleanser to pick up & play something so joyful and fun. While also being polished to a mirror shine.

Nothing really to add TBH, like I said just speaking as someone who had somewhat left Mario behind in their gaming :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most Mario games are wildly inventive and brilliant. They introduce new mechanics in each level and explore them fully while most indie platformers would base an entire 4 hour game around the same single mechanic.

NSMB on DS was a poor game to base your opinion on the Mario franchise as it's a bit of an outlier for the series. It got great reviews but it's a very mediocre, safe and uninteresting platformer. I quite liked the other games in the series but the DS one is very lackluster.

You should seek out a way to play the two Mario Galaxy games. They are as wildly inventive as Odyssey and some would say even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Mario Odyssey is a fúcking excellent game, only surpassed by AC Odyssey IMHO :D

But I'm getting ready for another full playthrough of Odyssey soon. Was a lot of fun when it first came out. Can't believe it's nearly 2 years already :eek:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    NSMB on DS was a poor game to base your opinion on the Mario franchise [..]

I wasn't? What I said it was that it was last mainline Mario game I played. Before that, probably Super Mario All-Stars or Super Mario Land 2 on GB, as I missed the N64 generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I see Night in the Woods is down from €24 to €14.40 on PSN. I'm fairly sure I've read positive things on here but can't seem to find them. Worth picking up?

• Advertisement

Disco Elysium has a release date, and it's coming soon! October 15th (Steam and GOG only).

It looks beautiful, and if they deliver on half of what they're promising, it could be fantastic. That's a big "if" though. Still, not long to wait now.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I see Night in the Woods is down from €24 to €14.40 on PSN. I'm fairly sure I've read positive things on here but can't seem to find them. Worth picking up?

Supposed to be very good although quite depressing at times, I've stayed away from it because of that but I've heard nothing but good things really

Disco Elysium has a release date, and it's coming soon! October 15th (Steam and GOG only).

It looks beautiful, and if they deliver on half of what they're promising, it could be fantastic. That's a big "if" though. Still, not long to wait now.

Yeah, what it's promising is pretty vast; if they pull it off in a robust, convincing fashion, it could be a head-turner. So am I picking up the trailer right, in that it sounds like it's not necessarily combat focused? That your character must ... 'detect' their way through missions?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, what it's promising is pretty vast; if they pull it off in a robust, convincing fashion, it could be a head-turner. So am I picking up the trailer right, in that it sounds like it's not necessarily combat focused? That your character must ... 'detect' their way through missions?

Yeah, I don't think combat is the focus - I think there's one central murder investigation to crack, with other side investigations popping up. Along the way you can develop your character to be a better detective, or one that uses intimidation/strong arm tactics, or a plain old dirty cop with addiction problems!

Yeah, I don't think combat is the focus - I think there's one central murder investigation to crack, with other side investigations popping up. Along the way you can develop your character to be a better detective, or one that uses intimidation/strong arm tactics, or a plain old dirty cop with addiction problems!

Nice; bit fed up these days of "Go to X and hit Y over the head" RPGs, it's a bit of a lazy gameplay loop. Respect to anyone trying to think outside the box.

I really like the paintbrush aesthetic, not enough games make use of these kind of artwork styles; really sets it apart and gives it an identity before you even play the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

pixelburp wrote: »
    I had forgotten the simple and highly-polished pleasure that comes with a Nintendo Mario game. I've no idea how purists see Odyssey - and don't really care either tbh - but as a lapsed Mario gamer, it has been something of a palette cleanser to pick up & play something so joyful and fun. While also being polished to a mirror shine.

A lot of people seem to overlook the mario games these days due to so many great games on the PS4. The PS4 is the main system I play on but Nintendo understand the concept of gameplay better than any other company in the world.
    Playing Mario Oddessy, Mario 3d World (wii u) or Mario maker 2 is a perfect example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Greyfox wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to overlook the mario games these days due to so many great games on the PS4. The PS4 is the main system I play on but Nintendo understand the concept of gameplay better than any other company in the world.
    Playing Mario Oddessy, Mario 3d World (wii u) or Mario maker 2 is a perfect example of this.

I'd say there's nearly as many great games on the Switch as on PS4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In terms of exclusives the Switch is head and shoulders above the PS4 at this stage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In terms of exclusives the Switch is head and shoulders above the PS4 at this stage anyway.

PS has its exclusives and then all the third party stuff.

Switch has its exclusives and not much else. For that reason i dont think its as popular. Thats why i havent bought it. It would gather dust for months until another exclusive i wanted to play came from nintendo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,235 ✭✭✭✭Penn

EoinHef wrote: »
    PS has its exclusives and then all the third party stuff.

Switch has its exclusives and not much else. For that reason i dont think its as popular. Thats why i havent bought it. It would gather dust for months until another exclusive i wanted to play came from nintendo

I have to agree. I wouldn't mind playing Mario or Zelda:BOTW, but while I'm sure the Switch has plenty more amazing exclusives, none of them really interest me, and certainly not enough to make me want to consider buying a Switch at this stage (I have considered getting one numerous times but always talk myself out of it). Whereas if I didn't have the PS4, the exclusives would make me want to buy one.

Not saying the PS4 exclusives are objectively (or even subjectively) better or more numerous, just that they would interest me more.

Advertisement