Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

EoinHef wrote: »
    PS has its exclusives and then all the third party stuff.

Switch has its exclusives and not much else. For that reason i dont think its as popular. Thats why i havent bought it. It would gather dust for months until another exclusive i wanted to play came from nintendo

There are heaps of exclusives though. They'd keep you going for a long time.

On the Forbes list of best selling games of 2018 there are six switch exclusive games and two PS4 exclusive games. The rest are all multi platform.

Switch is the best console to play indie games as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There are heaps of exclusives though. They'd keep you going for a long time.

On the Forbes list of best selling games of 2018 there are six switch exclusive games and two PS4 exclusive games. The rest are all multi platform.

Switch is the best console to play indie games as well.

Just had a quick look at the list there,3 of the switch exclusives there id really like to play.

But the console is near €300 plus the cost of the games on top,its just not convincing enough for me.

When the console comes to end of life and i could possibly pick one up real cheap it would make way more sense to me. Even on adverts people are looking for near retail for second hand switches.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Just had a quick look at the list there,3 of the switch exclusives there id really like to play.

But the console is near €300 plus the cost of the games on top,its just not convincing enough for me.

When the console comes to end of life and i could possibly pick one up real cheap it would make way more sense to me. Even on adverts people are looking for near retail for second hand switches.

Switch is selling really well. I'm nearly sure I read recently it's averaging more console sales per year than the PS4 or Xbox One.

It's hard to see Nintendo dropping the price to be honest but if you bought one to play the games you want I don't think you'd lose much money selling it on after a few months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Obviously it also comes down to what folks want to play as well. I looked at the switch line up, then the PS4 and others and saw that with the huge list of indie games, I'd get more use out of the switch. That and its portability being a HUGE factor in our home with a single TV. If I want to play games, I don't monopolise the TV and basically take over the room.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Obviously it also comes down to what folks want to play as well. I looked at the switch line up, then the PS4 and others and saw that with the huge list of indie games, I'd get more use out of the switch. That and its portability being a HUGE factor in our home with a single TV. If I want to play games, I don't monopolise the TV and basically take over the room.

I've had all the consoles this gen and a PC. Sold the PS4 a little while ago as I found it was the one I was using the least.

But like you say it's so handy to play the Switch on the sofa in handheld mode when someone else wants to watch TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS4 has good games but in terms of exclusives, it's kind of redundant next to a Xbox and PC. Xbox lacks exclusives but you aren't missing out too much while PC has pretty much the same library as the PS4 but also it's own exclusives. They're interchangeable, you'd want one but as an owner of all 3, the Pc gets used, Xbox gets used the odd time for 360 and OG Xbox games and the Ps4 is packed up and unused.

The Switch on the other hand gets a lot of use... mostly to play Picross.

Still, I think the Switch can be a hard sell to people that don't own one. I honestly was not impressed by it before launch and was only picking it up since it was from Nintendo and even their worst consoles have incredible games.

Wasn't until I bought one that I realized what a neat piece of kit it was and how much more suitable it was to my lifestyle than a console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

PS4:
    Xbox:
    Switch: Untitled Goose Game

/argument

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

^^ I mean, guys. He's not wrong.

PS4:
    Xbox:
    Switch: Untitled Goose Game

/argument

That goose looks like a dickh**d :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

My main criticism of Nintendo exclusives is that they can feel a bit repetitive. The likes of Mario Kart, Pokemon, Animal Crossing & even Smash have the same gameplay loops they had 15 years ago.
    Breath of The Wild was the first interesting mainline Zelda in a long time too. Other than Link Between Worlds you probably have to go back to Wind Waker to find a great one. I still missed dungeons and numerous good bosses in BOTW as Calamity Ganon ones weren't as good the bosses from the N64 games never mind ones that have came since.
    It's sad to say but for me Mario Maker 2 is the best 2D Mario game I played in years because the community makes better levels than Nintendo do. Odyssey while fine it's not a game I will remember at the end of the generation as the stuff I enjoyed was in the post game.
    I have a switch but I'd say I got more from Into the Breach, Celeste & Stardew Valley as I have from the first party software

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The PS4 has good games but in terms of exclusives, it's kind of redundant next to a Xbox and PC. Xbox lacks exclusives but you aren't missing out too much while PC has pretty much the same library as the PS4 but also it's own exclusives. They're interchangeable, you'd want one but as an owner of all 3, the Pc gets used, Xbox gets used the odd time for 360 and OG Xbox games and the Ps4 is packed up and unused.

The Switch on the other hand gets a lot of use... mostly to play Picross.

Still, I think the Switch can be a hard sell to people that don't own one. I honestly was not impressed by it before launch and was only picking it up since it was from Nintendo and even their worst consoles have incredible games.

Wasn't until I bought one that I realized what a neat piece of kit it was and how much more suitable it was to my lifestyle than a console.

Again its all down to the games you want to play. the Forza series is the only exclusive games on the Xbox I'd love to play and I personally don't rate ANY exclusive PC game very highly whereas and PS4 has the few exclusive games I really wanted to play. I own a switch now and I absolutely love it but the switch is a 2nd gaming platform, you still need another platform for the games that are not on the switch which is why my PS4 is my primary gaming system. I personally have no use for a PC in my life.

Serious question: WTF is Death Stranding

It's weeks away and I just watched some gameplay footage

No idea, Kojima has lost it

Greyfox wrote: »
    Again its all down to the games you want to play. the Forza series is the only exclusive games on the Xbox I'd love to play and I personally don't rate ANY exclusive PC game very highly whereas and PS4 has the few exclusive games I really wanted to play. I own a switch now and I absolutely love it but the switch is a 2nd gaming platform, you still need another platform for the games that are not on the switch which is why my PS4 is my primary gaming system. I personally have no use for a PC in my life.

A PC isn't just for gaming though. I have one and it allows me to work from home some days. Other people use it for streaming, editing photos, design etc. It just has the added benefit of being able to play games :)

Three of my favorite Xbox games I think people should play are Sunset Overdrive, Ori and The Blind Forest (sequel out soon) and Cuphead. Even better is if you own a Switch you can already play Cuphead on that and Ori is coming soon. Great news for gamers!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ERG89 wrote: »
    My main criticism of Nintendo exclusives is that they can feel a bit repetitive. The likes of Mario Kart, Pokemon, Animal Crossing & even Smash have the same gameplay loops they had 15 years ago.
    Breath of The Wild was the first interesting mainline Zelda in a long time too. Other than Link Between Worlds you probably have to go back to Wind Waker to find a great one. I still missed dungeons and numerous good bosses in BOTW as Calamity Ganon ones weren't as good the bosses from the N64 games never mind ones that have came since.
    It's sad to say but for me Mario Maker 2 is the best 2D Mario game I played in years because the community makes better levels than Nintendo do. Odyssey while fine it's not a game I will remember at the end of the generation as the stuff I enjoyed was in the post game.
    I have a switch but I'd say I got more from Into the Breach, Celeste & Stardew Valley as I have from the first party software

Nintendo can play it safe but you are also ignoring the very best games where Nintendo doesn't play it safe. Mario Odyssey, Splatoon, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, Pikmin, Captain Toad, Style Savvy Trendsetters, Kirby (well every second Kirby game, they switch from safe to wildly inventive every game as part of their development). There's nothing out there like those games and there's no one really making games like that anymore besides a few of the better indie developers. I think to label all that Nintendo does safe or repetitive is to ignore the vast majority of their output. Especially when other publishers are happy to pump out Ubi-open world clones ad nauseum.

Astral Chain just released to acclaim
    As did the Zelda Gameboy Remake
    And Luigis Mansion 3 is on the way

Nothing else like it on the market. Killer exclusives miles ahead of the competition bar certain Sony titles and I would add Gears 5 is probably one of the best thing Microsoft released in years but other than Forza that's it really.

Astral Chain just released to acclaim
    As did the Zelda Gameboy Remake
    And Luigis Mansion 3 is on the way

Nothing else like it on the market. Killer exclusives miles ahead of the competition bar certain Sony titles and I would add Gears 5 is probably one of the best thing Microsoft released in years but other than Forza that's it really.

I can't wait for Luigi Mansion. Think I'll take a day off work for that one and I haven't done that in years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

ERG89 wrote: »
    It's sad to say but for me Mario Maker 2 is the best 2D Mario game I played in years because the community makes better levels than Nintendo do.

Absolute nonsense, the mario maker levels are mostly absolutely brilliant and there's an endless amount of them but Nintendo make better levels and Nintendo are much better at getting the difficulty level correct and the getting the 3 star coins in there levels are an extra enjoyable challenge. In saying that though some of the mario maker levels are superb. I'll be playing mario maker 2 for years.
    A PC isn't just for gaming though. I have one and it allows me to work from home some days. Other people use it for streaming, editing photos, design etc. It just has the added benefit of being able to play games :)

Three of my favorite Xbox games I think people should play are Sunset Overdrive, Ori and The Blind Forest (sequel out soon) and Cuphead. Even better is if you own a Switch you can already play Cuphead on that and Ori is coming soon. Great news for gamers!!

True but almost everything I personally would use a PC for I could just do on my mobile phone instead. As I am very happy with console games I don't feel like I'm missing out on any PC games (although modding does sound good). I'm glad I can get cuphead on the switch and Ori and The Blind Forest does look excellent

This looks fascinating; I just can't resist unconventional twists on genres, so here's a football, that isn't about football. It looks more like a mashup of a Visual Novel, mixed with a RPG, which in of itself is a curious mix:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just played through Sayonara Wild Hearts on Switch, and it's a wee neon masterpiece. Wouldn't expect anything less from Simogo (Device 6, Year Walk), but this pops (and that's the optimum word) in ways even their impeccable older games did.

It's a genre hopper, but most comparable to something like Rez. Takes the form of a bunch of short build-up levels followed by five longer boss battles. It's mostly a rhythm game and on-rails runner, but there's hints of shmups and a few other surprises over the course of its brisk running time. Few games in recent years have taken advantage of 60 FPS like this one - it flies along.

The gameplay is delightful, ideas-rich, high-score chasing stuff. But the style... oh boy the style. The pulsating, poppy main menu gets things started and from there on out it's just a delight of colour, energy and some ****ing great music.

One of the very best games of the year (maybe second to only Outer Wilds for me). It's also on PS4 and the new Apple Arcade thingie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

What are all of these great Switch games, if you don't mind me asking? Serious question and not stirring. I have one but it's gathering dust.

The only games I've played, for more than an hour or two, are Dead Cells and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. I do have Cuphead there but not played yet. Couldn't get into Mario Odyssey and found Breath of the Wild childish. I wanted to like it but the characters reminded me of preschool TV shows. I'm obviously missing something due to the almost universal praise it gets.

I'm definitely interested in Luigi mansion. Would appreciate any recommendations as currently it feels like I wasted €300+.

• Advertisement

What are all of these great Switch games, if you don't mind me asking? Serious question and not stirring. I have one but it's gathering dust.

The only games I've played, for more than an hour or two, are Dead Cells and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. I do have Cuphead there but not played yet. Couldn't get into Mario Odyssey and found Breath of the Wild childish. I wanted to like it but the characters reminded me of preschool TV shows. I'm obviously missing something due to the almost universal praise it gets.

I'm definitely interested in Luigi mansion. Would appreciate any recommendations as currently it feels like I wasted €300+.

Ones I've played that I loved - Octopath Traveller, MK8, Smash, Bayonetta, Odyssey, BOTW.

Games that are highly recommended that I didn't play yet - Fire Emblem Three Houses, Mario Maker, Mario & Rabbids, Splatoon, Astral Chain.

And I'd say I'm after missing a good few.

Then there's lots of excellent indies. To many to list.

Ones I've played that I loved - Octopath Traveller, MK8, Smash, Bayonetta, Odyssey, BOTW.

Games that are highly recommended that I didn't play yet - Fire Emblem Three Houses, Mario Maker, Mario & Rabbids, Splatoon, Astral Chain.

And I'd say I'm after missing a good few.

Then there's lots of excellent indies. To many to list.

Thanks. Been kind of reading up on Astral Chain so I'm interested in that. The fire emblem games too. Think the others might be turn based? Not a combat style I like. Have Bayonetta on PS3.

I'm starting to think the Switch, while a fantastic console for many, doesn't really feature the type of games I like. I'd be lost without my PS4. I'd love to get a gaming PC but living in a one bed apartment I just don't have enough room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That goose looks like a dickh**d :pac:

*Reports post*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Have to say thats a decent amount of games for nout.

That and satistactory is mighty tempting....

*Reports post*

I think I found the goose :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Mario Odyssey was brilliant. I don't know how somebody wouldn't like it. I also don't know how you would buy it and not play it either tbh. Unless it was your first ever console and game to play as it is like all the other 3D platforming Mario games with a new cap mechanic.

I never play BOTW as I just can't see myself playing for the 50+ hours or what ever it takes. I seen some people clock 100+ hours into it.

Truthfully the only games I played on my switch was Mario Odyssey and Captain Toad, treasure tracker. I will deffo be picking Luigi's Mansion though as I enjoyed the one on the Game Cube even if a little short.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

pixelburp wrote: »
    This looks fascinating; I just can't resist unconventional twists on genres, so here's a football, that isn't about football. It looks more like a mashup of a Visual Novel, mixed with a RPG, which in of itself is a curious mix:

[/YOUTUBE]7L7J1vGzExU[/YOUTUBE]

Check the post date of that video PB!! :D

I liked 2D Mario games years ago. Odyssey was my first 3D Mario and I just couldn't gel with the mechanics. Admittedly I didn't play for long, second or third world, before giving up. Collecting moons didn't interest me enough to keep going. Different strokes.

I really looked forward to getting the Switch. Odyssey and BOTW were the main reasons I wanted one and both fell short for me. I'm nearly tempted to give BOTW another shot as it's rare I hear a bad comment about it so I must have missed something.

I do enjoy platformers at times. I'd love to try Celeste. Adored Hollow Knight although that does focus more on combat. My preference with games is action or horror (even though there hasn't been a true survival horror for two generations of consoles). I'd love to discover something on the Switch that could get that adrenaline going. Definitely will give Luigis Mansion a play through though.

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Check the post date of that video PB!! :D

Well it came out today on Steam, so that's the most elaborate April Fools joke ever ;)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/876190/Football_Drama/

Advertisement