Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I liked 2D Mario games years ago. Odyssey was my first 3D Mario and I just couldn't gel with the mechanics. Admittedly I didn't play for long, second or third world, before giving up. Collecting moons didn't interest me enough to keep going. Different strokes.

I really looked forward to getting the Switch. Odyssey and BOTW were the main reasons I wanted one and both fell short for me. I'm nearly tempted to give BOTW another shot as it's rare I hear a bad comment about it so I must have missed something.

I do enjoy platformers at times. I'd love to try Celeste. Adored Hollow Knight although that does focus more on combat. My preference with games is action or horror (even though there hasn't been a true survival horror for two generations of consoles). I'd love to discover something on the Switch that could get that adrenaline going. Definitely will give Luigis Mansion a play through though.

You don't need to collect all the moons. Also controlling all the different enemies is great and adds so much variety to the gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well it came out today on Steam, so that's the most elaborate April Fools joke ever ;)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/876190/Football_Drama/

Ha brilliant! I swear, I looked at the video date and just dismissed it as spoof.

Bigger fool me :)

€8.50 isn't bad either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You don't need to collect all the moons. Also controlling all the different enemies is great and adds so much variety to the gameplay.

Didn't even know controlling enemies was a thing. I vaguely remember controlling something in a Boss fight at the end of one ( or maybe even two worlds) . I still have the game there. I rarely trade games and usually only do so when I write it off entirely. Maybe I'll try it again sometime. It isn't unheard for me to need a few attempts to get into a game.

Forgot, I also have The Messenger there. That's one I've wanted to play for a while so might check that out soon.

Didn't even know controlling enemies was a thing. I vaguely remember controlling something in a Boss fight at the end of one ( or maybe even two worlds) . I still have the game there. I rarely trade games and usually only do so when I write it off entirely. Maybe I'll try it again sometime. It isn't unheard for me to need a few attempts to get into a game.

Forgot, I also have The Messenger there. That's one I've wanted to play for a while so might check that out soon.

If your playing in the TV or tabletop mode you flick the right JoyCon and you throw your cap at the enemies and that's what lets you can control them. It's practically the biggest mechanic in the game :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

If your playing in the TV or tabletop mode you flick the right JoyCon and you throw your cap at the enemies and that's what lets you can control them. It's practically the biggest mechanic in the game :eek:

LOL. I played with a pro controller. Felt more natural to me as it's close to what I've always used. Maybe that was the problem. I probably missed out on a lot of key features.

• Advertisement

LOL. I played with a pro controller. Felt more natural to me as it's close to what I've always used. Maybe that was the problem. I probably missed out on a lot of key features.

You can still throw the cap with the pro controller but I'm not sure how.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I never play BOTW as I just can't see myself playing for the 50+ hours or what ever it takes. I seen some people clock 100+ hours into it.

You can play it for as long as you enjoy it. For me it's far better than assassins creed oddessy, red dead 2 or even the superb Witcher 3 as there's no interruptions to the fun and the sense of discovery and rewarding gameplay make it different to every other game out there. There's a lot if games like Celeste, crash bandicoot, and stardew valley that feel more suited to the switch. For those who didn't have a wiiu the new Mario bros wii u deluxe and donkey Kong tropical freeze are worth picking up. I can't wait to play the new Zelda links awakening remake. The switch is also going to be around for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I have a switch since last Xmas and BOTW was the main reason for it, played about 4 hours of it. Its not thats it a bad game I seriously struggle to hold the thing comfortably in my hands. In either configuration its either the biggest tablet in the world or the flimsiest joypad ever.

So switch Lite is clearly marketted towards me.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I have a switch since last Xmas and BOTW was the main reason for it, played about 4 hours of it. Its not thats it a bad game I seriously struggle to hold the thing comfortably in my hands. In either configuration its either the biggest tablet in the world or the flimsiest joypad ever.

So switch Lite is clearly marketted towards me.

https://www.satisfye.com/collections/final-sale/products/fs-pro-gaming-grip

Get yourself one of these if you find the console a bit uncomfortable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve played plenty of the major AAA open world games over the years (as in big giant freeform maps, rather than the semi-open likes of Dark Souls), and I’d say without hesitation BotW is the only one that truly justifies however much time you care to give it (within reason :pac:). It’s so deep with surprises and dynamic mechanics that the mere act of wandering around is a constant source of wonder, surprise and entertainment.

It’s not perfect - there’s repetition in the shrines, there are pointless collectibles, and yes eventually familiarity will set in. But as someone who burns out quickly on the map clearing busywork and icon chasing of a Horizon or Ubisoft game, BotW completely changed the way I see that school of game design. It’s operating on a different level, honestly: with so many games that sense of playing something properly new is rare, but BotW was that for me. I genuinely find it hard to go back to any other open world game now because BotW was operating a generation or two ahead of most of them in terms of design fluency.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What are all of these great Switch games, if you don't mind me asking? Serious question and not stirring. I have one but it's gathering dust.

The only games I've played, for more than an hour or two, are Dead Cells and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. I do have Cuphead there but not played yet. Couldn't get into Mario Odyssey and found Breath of the Wild childish. I wanted to like it but the characters reminded me of preschool TV shows. I'm obviously missing something due to the almost universal praise it gets.

I'm definitely interested in Luigi mansion. Would appreciate any recommendations as currently it feels like I wasted €300+.

Just sell the switch. You didn't enjoy botw or mario odyssey and therefore have no soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

that the mere act of wandering around is a constant source of wonder, surprise and entertainment.

+100 on this. In most other open world games the wandering around isn't as much fun as when your doing a specific task but with BOTW your constantly finding things more interesting than what your supposed to be doing and the joy of discovery is better than in any other game that I've played

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just sell the switch. You didn't enjoy botw or mario odyssey and therefore have no soul.

I also haven't enjoyed either of them and I bought the Switch purely to play them.

Collecting Moons in Odyssey is just tiresome. I know you don't have to collect them all but there comes a point in a level where you need to wander aimlessly searching for Moons in order to progress. This just isn't fun, it's a chore. I've made it as far as New Donk City and haven't picked it up in over two months.

I haven't given BotW a proper go yet, I played about 4 hours and it didn't grab my attention. Having to constantly search for weapons as they keep breaking and the cooking mechanic annoyed me. However I definitely intend on going back to it.

At the moment I just use my Switch for NES and SNES games, I'll never tire of playing these.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I found the combat of BOTW a chore and never had the patience to get into the cooking system but still absolutely loved the game as a whole. I actually played it on Wii U so still not had many big games for me.
    Mario hasnt done much for me yet and the only other games I've really enjoyed have been the multi platform titles like Hollow Knight and Celeste. Still no regrets having one in the house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

PS4:
    Xbox:
    Switch: Untitled Goose Game

/argument

Which, IIRC, is out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Even if alot of Nintendo games do nothing for me as a whole I like the variety of genres their Ips cover to make up for the lack of 3rd party .

Action Adventure: Zelda botw ,Metroid
    Rpg: Xenoblade
    Strategy: Fire emblem three houses
    Party: Mario Party
    Sports: Mario Tennis
    2D/3D Platformers : Kirby, Donkey Kong , Mario Maker 2,NSMU, Mario odyssey
    Shooter: Splatoon
    Fighter : Smash Ultimate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They've had a cracking year as well with by far and away the best release line up this year been on the Switch. Last year was good if a bit thin on the ground but this year they've knocked it out of the park.

Even if alot of Nintendo games do nothing for me as a whole I like the variety of genres their Ips cover to make up for the lack of 3rd party .

Action Adventure: Zelda botw ,Metroid
    Rpg: Xenoblade
    Strategy: Fire emblem three houses
    Party: Mario Party
    Sports: Mario Tennis
    2D/3D Platformers : Kirby, Donkey Kong , Mario Maker 2,NSMU, Mario odyssey
    Shooter: Splatoon
    Fighter : Smash Ultimate

That's really not the case anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Few fascinating tidbits. While the exact details of the Epic deal are NDA’ed, he points out the money recouped development costs, paid back investors and guaranteed he could keep on staff for post-release support. That’s a pretty extraordinary safety net for a tiny studio.

Following on from that post, we've now been granted an insight into how much Epic is paying for the bigger name exclusives. In the case of the (superb) Control, it seems they paid the guts of €10 million. Control is a big title but also not even the upper end of the exclusivity scale - lord knows how much they shelled out for Borderlands 3!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-09-21-rare-glimpse-behind-the-game-industry-curtain-reveals-epic-paid-gbp8-3m-for-control-deal

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-09-21-new-video-reveals-the-shocking-truth-the-street-fighter-2-cpu-was-an-awful-cheater

If true anyone want to join me in a class action vs Capcom for 20p and I want a 20 p piece not todays euro equivalant !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-09-21-new-video-reveals-the-shocking-truth-the-street-fighter-2-cpu-was-an-awful-cheater

[YOUTUBE/]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laUAgEUunsI[/YOUTUBE]

If true anyone want to join me in a class action vs Capcom for 20p and I want a 20 p piece not todays euro equivalant !!!!

I mean even playing the damn thing I always remember thinking this was some kind of superhuman that I was playing against :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm first level of Metal Goose Solid, and no idea how to get the farmers hat. Being a total díck as a goose is very cathartic...

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I also haven't enjoyed either of them and I bought the Switch purely to play them.

Collecting Moons in Odyssey is just tiresome. I know you don't have to collect them all but there comes a point in a level where you need to wander aimlessly searching for Moons in order to progress. This just isn't fun, it's a chore. I've made it as far as New Donk City and haven't picked it up in over two months.

I haven't given BotW a proper go yet, I played about 4 hours and it didn't grab my attention. Having to constantly search for weapons as they keep breaking and the cooking mechanic annoyed me. However I definitely intend on going back to it.

At the moment I just use my Switch for NES and SNES games, I'll never tire of playing these.

I too didn't love Mario Odyssey and I loved every Mario game bar Sunshine.
    Also never played any Zelda don't like RPG. But I love my switch.

I really liked Hotline Miam & My Friend is Pedro. Is there anything else like that on the switch?
    I played the demo of Ape Out, it was ok but the demo was enough for me.

https://www.satisfye.com/collections/final-sale/products/fs-pro-gaming-grip

Get yourself one of these if you find the console a bit uncomfortable.

Its on the way, hopefully it does the trick i cant be the only one who has issues with it.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Started Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. It is a lot of fun.

Decided to give Apple Arcade a whirl with the free trial and the fact that a lot of really great developers are on board. Gotta say it’s... pretty incredible? I have my problems with a load of good to great indie games being dumped on a new platform on day one - hard to filter through. But what a great selection of games: actually the first time in a few years I’ve been properly excited about mobile gaming again.

So far played Capy’s Grindstone, which is a superb puzzle game with an inspired central combo mechanic. Also just laughed out loud a couple of times during the first 15-20 minutes of What the Golf, best designed as an absurdist golf parody and pun delivery system - two good comedy games in a week between this and Untitled Goose Game!

I have some concerns about the impact subscription services will have - especially seeing the chatter about how Google’s model will see developers paid based on users’ time with the apps (therefore a disincentive to smaller, shorter games and a boon for grindy, time consuming ones). But very impressed with Apple Arcade so far and have only made a small dent in the games there - haven’t even booted up the Mini Metro sequel, Where Cards Fall, Mutazione or Overland yet, not to mention a few dozen others. If Apple keep it up could be a subscription service worth having, and a long overdue antidote to the App Store favouring free to play, microtransaction riddled junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

That Overland looks interesting. Tempted to pick it up on steam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I saw that Truck Driver was released recently. It's a game I would like to play and I will at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I saw that Truck Driver was released recently. It's a game I would like to play and I will at some point.

Good idea that you're holding off I regret that I didn't. Map isn't that big and there's no multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

GTA IV.

I like to dip into it every now and then. Anyway, when I'm bored I ask one of the friends in game to go bowling, play pool, get pissed etc.

Nico: Hey Roman, how about a game of bowling?

Roman: Cousins should bowl together. Pick me up in the next 60 minutes.

Nico: See you then cousin.

You then collect them on some street, first thing they say is your late. Ungrateful pricks. I mean do they not understand how busy the traffic gets?

Anyway, the trip to the bowling alley, pub etc is in complete silence. You beat them and they are even more pissed. You drive them back to their joint in complete silence and then everything is good and you see the thumbs up above the map. Of course they are happy as I'm footing the ****ing bill.

Why do I do it?

And don't start me on the standard of driving on the bridges. Don't!!

Advertisement