Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Politics pod was quite good alright.

Todays Abbottowns press conference notes was so boring and long. It was a past a joke they talked about it so much. Kens little bike story was the only saving grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Beersmith wrote: »

Todays Abbottowns press conference notes was so boring and long. It was a past a joke they talked about it so much. Kens little bike story was the only saving grace.

I enjoyed the press conference notes. Showing it up for the nonsense that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

People don't already know that?! Its fine pointing out 1 or 2 stupid questions but it was 5+ minutes of it. Usually the journalists listen to a 30min press conference and relay a few interesting seconds/minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Beersmith wrote: »

Pretty sure I heard him say he cycled the grand canal out to Blanchardstown. I thought Ken was a northsider now, he should know it's the royal out our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I see Off The Ball got the live show this year with Roy Keane & Gary Neville via Cadburys instead of Second Captains - I wonder why that is?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Probably because he didn't want to listen to Ken crowing about how right he was about Mourinho.

Actually I noticed there was no outside broadcast with a former Premier League player a few weeks ago and thought it was odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Off the Ball got some nice soundbytes out of it anyway. Keane is such a horrible bitter man.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭PIORUN

Still Ill wrote: »
    Off the Ball got some nice soundbytes out of it anyway. Keane is such a horrible bitter man.
    his mention of Walters crying on TV over his family is as low as I've ever heard from Keane. Even the biggest Keane lovers would be turned off him after his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

PIORUN wrote: »
    his mention of Walters crying on TV over his family is as low as I've ever heard from Keane. Even the biggest Keane lovers would be turned off him after his.

When Clive Clarke (an ex player of Keane’s Sunderland) got a heart attack during a league cup game when he was on loan somewhere else and Keane was told post match. Keane observed and was happy to say it in interviews months later that he was surprised to find the medics could find a heart.

Keane lives life by his own rules. He is happy to do things to others that he would castigate others for if they done it for him.

The Walters comment is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Keane lives life by his own rules. He is happy to do things to others that he would castigate others for if they done it for him.

He's an atrocious human being.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

corwill wrote: »
    He's an atrocious human being.

Maybe, maybe not. He’s carries a lot of bitterness and anger against people in his profession. He’s enabled in this by the media who fawn over him and build an aura around him. He definitely has very little self awareness or allows much space in his life for self assessment or personal growth. Personal growth is one the best things about growing older and it’s sad Roy has never developed this.

The interview with OTB focused on boring feuds that I couldn’t give a toss about. I’d rather he was asked about how did he rate the quality of player in the Irish squad and what would explain the lack of quality players being produced by Ireland in the past 15 years.

He could be a good family man and a generous person to his friends behind it all.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    He could be a good family man and a generous person to his friends behind it all.

Plenty of awful people are. They're awful, nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Just catching up on this weeks podcasts today. Is Eoin away ? I notice Ken & Murph in the studio together. I missed any mention as to why Eoin is away and for how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Just catching up on this weeks podcasts today. Is Eoin away ? I notice Ken & Murph in the studio together. I missed any mention as to why Eoin is away and for how long.

Probably away while there's a break in the club football, good time for it now that he has his Premier League matches to host.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Still Ill wrote: »

is this up as a podcast yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Blanco100 wrote: »
    is this up as a podcast yet?

This is the relevant bit I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

jaykay74 wrote: »

Eoin is gone... probably permanently.... he went full Hollywood once he got that premier league gig... hanging out with David Moyes and the like... too good for podcasts now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

PIORUN wrote:

Hardly. I was at this last night. In fairness, a majority of it was interesting, and quite funny. Some good stories, particularly in the first half, where Neville was quite vocal and engaging.

But, the event quickly escalated into the "Cadbury's Roy Keane Appreciation Night". Honestly, in the second half Gary Neville was effectively a handbag beside Keane. No questions directed to Neville, just a platform to Keane to publicly level scores with Walters, Arter and Ward. Even after all of Keane's scathing criticisms of those three, which included "Jon Walters? You mean the man who was fired from Blackburn Rovers after been caught stealing from a team mate?", the place still had die hard fans chanting "Keano, Keano, Keano" at the end of the night.

The usual stuff about Saipan too. Nearly 20 years ago at this point and it's still seen as a relevant topic. There were people in the audience who weren't born 2002 when Saipan occurred. The story has been told to death at this stage.

Keane, never the type to take the spotlight from the Irish team before a big game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Fck me. Watched the footage there. He loves it, loves the attention. Some of the stuff he said about Walters went way beyond what was necessary - which did make it funny - but, still, awfully childish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Hardly. I was at this last night. In fairness, a majority of it was interesting, and quite funny. Some good stories, particularly in the first half, where Neville was quite vocal and engaging.

But, the event quickly escalated into the "Cadbury's Roy Keane Appreciation Night". Honestly, in the second half Gary Neville was effectively a handbag beside Keane. No questions directed to Neville, just a platform to Keane to publicly level scores with Walters, Arter and Ward. Even after all of Keane's scathing criticisms of those three, which included "Jon Walters? You mean the man who was fired from Blackburn Rovers after been caught stealing from a team mate?", the place still had die hard fans chanting "Keano, Keano, Keano" at the end of the night.

The usual stuff about Saipan too. Nearly 20 years ago at this point and it's still seen as a relevant topic. There were people in the audience who weren't born 2002 when Saipan occurred. The story has been told to death at this stage.

Keane, never the type to take the spotlight from the Irish team before a big game.

Hes a rent a quote, opinion on everything phoney, Mr anti media til he retires and cant keep his mouth shut. Hes a vindictive f**ker who just cant let anything go, always has to get a dig in for whatever grudge he refuses to let go, and always has to cross a line. Cannot stand him, or his fanboy supporters who are as bad if not worse than McGregor's lot.
    Hes a horrible piece of work with zero class. Would love Walters to lamp him voer what he said. Bringing someone's family into it shows the level of the man. An utter w**ker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Thought it was a telling mark of the man where he has a sly dig at McAteer for still dining out on the goal he scored against Holland whereas he has no problem still going on about how Ferguson treated him all those years ago.

Having watched the full 2 hours interview I'm glad OTB got it instead of Second Captains. That type of environment wouldn't have suited Ken, I think he'd have challenged them alot more. Usually that's a good thing but it wouldn't have been in this case.

Keanes a boyhood hero of mine, it saddens me when I see his nasty side but there were some great moments in that interview.

I enjoy David Sneyd's contributions, insightful and with character, but without any agenda or 'very online' horse manure that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

dulux99 wrote:
    That type of environment wouldn't have suited Ken, I think he'd have challenged them alot more.

I think it could have been the opposite. Joe Molloy was out of his depth. Neville shut him down a few times. Molloy and Nathan Murphy couldn't challenge Keane at all. Maybe their hands were tied through sponsorship and the fact they were representing Newstalk. So I think SC could have argued more with Keane, given they're not really answerable to anyone.

I think Ken was right in today's show when he mentioned Keane is trapped in the persona he's built for himself now.

Pete Moss wrote: »
    I think it could have been the opposite. Joe Molloy was out of his depth. Neville shut him down a few times. Molloy and Nathan Murphy couldn't challenge Keane at all. Maybe their hands were tied through sponsorship and the fact they were representing Newstalk. So I think SC could have argued more with Keane, given they're not really answerable to anyone.

I think Ken was right in today's show when he mentioned Keane is trapped in the persona he's built for himself now.

Nah I disagree. Ken tries too hard to be right in those types of conversations and it can become confrontational - such as the Neville interview last year. I found Keane and Neville going back and forth themselves to be quite fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

dulux99 wrote: »
    Nah I disagree. Ken tries too hard to be right in those types of conversations and it can become confrontational - such as the Neville interview last year. I found Keane and Neville going back and forth themselves to be quite fascinating.

Neville argues with everyone interviewing him. He sees himself as a great interviewer himself. I can think of multiple times he tried to take over an interview, the AFTV one last year, with Ken on SC, and again the other night.

Neville argues with everyone interviewing him. He sees himself as a great interviewer himself. I can think of multiple times he tried to take over an interview, the AFTV one last year, with Ken on SC, and again the other night.

Totally agree. Which is why I think it was better that the otb lads basically took a backseat after a while.

Come to think of it, both Neville and Keano probably think Ken is a massive prick.

but now I think...you should have just played anyway.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Keane does a great interview.... Is there a more interesting footballer to listen to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Keane is a low c*nt. A tramp. Nothing in any way manly about him. You'd wonder what sort of family he comes from. Are they all like him or is he a bad apple.

He's laughing at Hull, Ipswich and similar clubs. He couldn't manage them for all his 'talent'. His own life post player is a failure. In his own words a buffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I found SC's recent surprise interview with Richard Dunne a lot more interesting than the tripe Keane is happy to regurgitate for money.

From such a no nonsense player, to an absolute laughing stock as manager, coach and now pundit. The player Roy Keane would be sickened seeing current Keane even just turn up at a radio roadshow sponsored by a chocolate company, never mind actually seeming to enjoy it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement