Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Goals win games ! And even with those wins you have to feel they left a few behind them but then one team cant win all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

That second three pointer last night was like Harlem Globetrotters material. The pinpoint delivery into full forward line, the ridiculous control by Seymour, slick offload to Morriss who deftly picked out Ormonde to give the coupe de grace. Stupendous hurling.

Sublime stuff. Was there with the father last night and we could not get over how ridiculously ruthless that team is for goals, especially when you consider they are at most 20 years old. Must have been a bit of consolation to the Wexford Under 20s that it wasn't just them! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

All the bandages in Ireland wouldn't have soaked up the blood that Tipp drew from the meek rebels in that outlandish opening salvo. The 'Blood and Bandage' may as well have started up the bus after 10 minutes. With 'Sombrero Cyril' driving it. Take me home country road, our day is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Any word yet?
    You'd be thinking if he's staying he'd just say he is when asked.

Hopefully a few of those u20 make it through to the senior squad. Seymour has been great in every game I've seen him.

Amazing the turnaround from the Munster final. Thought cork were the better side then.

digzy wrote: »
    Any word yet?

Hopefully a few of those u20 make it through to the senior squad. Seymour has been great in every game I've seen him.

Amazing the turnaround from the Munster final. Thought cork were the better side then.

I think the ones with a shot at the senior panel would be Craig Morgan, Bryan O Mara and Billy Seymour along with the 3 lads already there. Aaron Browne may also be worth looking at. I do think we have some very good defenders coming through. Remind me of Barrett, out first to the ball, driving forward constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ompala wrote: »
    I think the ones with a shot at the senior panel would be Craig Morgan, Bryan O Mara and Billy Seymour along with the 3 lads already there. Aaron Browne may also be worth looking at. I do think we have some very good defenders coming through. Remind me of Barrett, out first to the ball, driving forward constantly.

Definitely add Colin Bowe to that list for a start, and one or two others likely possibles as well. Bowe had a quiet enough game last night compared to his previous standards, but looks a serious prospect to me. Great that we dont need to be rushing any of these guys either, a year or two on the fringes of the senior panel will do them all the power of good.

Incidentally, i dont need to check the record books to know that Jake Morris, Jerome Cahill & Paddy Cadell made history last night that will never, ever be repeated. All Ireland minor, under 21, senior, under 20 medals - all by the age of 20! Incredible haul.

As regards Liam Sheedy, have to say i did find his tg4 interview last night a bit odd in that he continually referred to the team as "they" and "them" as if he wasnt actually part of it. I'm assuming he's just being technically exact, that his deal involves a review scenario at the end of each year so he's merely waiting until he meets with the board and his selectors before he definitively ratifies his involvement for next year. I'm sure its just a procedural thing, though have to admit i dont like having even the 1% of doubt in my mind.

Find these multi year ‘deals’ for gas managers a bit bizarre.

They’re unpaid (allegedly!)
    So if any manager has a 3 year deal and a county board decided they’ve enough after one the only issue for the manager is a blow to his pride. He can’t really sue for the remaining 2 years of his unpaid contract:
    Alternatively if a manager walks away after ‘breaching his contract’ what can any county do?

Strange stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Any word yet?

He's a clever guy. Wouldnt see anything wrong with taking his time to announce if he was finishing up.
    As regards Liam Sheedy, have to say i did find his tg4 interview last night a bit odd in that he continually referred to the team as "they" and "them" as if he wasnt actually part of it. I'm assuming he's just being technically exact, that his deal involves a review scenario at the end of each year so he's merely waiting until he meets with the board and his selectors before he definitively ratifies his involvement for next year. I'm sure its just a procedural thing, though have to admit i dont like having even the 1% of doubt in my mind.
    Dont at all see why its odd that he says "they" and "them" as he's always referring to the players actions on the pitch. They did excellently etc. He sets team up and then its up to players to carry out what coaches and players decided was best option/tactics to win.

So if any manager has a 3 year deal and a county board decided they’ve enough after one the only issue for the manager is a blow to his pride. He can’t really sue for the remaining 2 years of his unpaid contract:
    Alternatively if a manager walks away after ‘breaching his contract’ what can any county do?

Strange stuff...
    Its extremely common in all sports for amatuer coaches to get a multi year deal to work with a club/side. There is always benefits from being in a role that can be taking away. While money mightnt necessarily be part of his deal to be coach something else could
    Not strange at all to see that

Strange stuff...

Its a fair enough point. I guess the idea of giving a manager a multi-year deal is just to give him a bit of added security, he can try a few things the first year in the knowledge he'll get the chance to build for the following year. As we know in professional sport, doesnt matter what sort of contract you have, however watertight, if you want gone or they want rid of you, it can be done. Only difference to it is lawyers and money...

I just guess Sheedy has some arrangment to talk to his selectors and family, work etc, just to ensure all is good to roll for 2020. I honestly dont think theres much doubt at all about it really, though not too sure about Eamon O'Shea going again which could be an issue. Thats just my own feeling on it, have no knowledge on that one way or ther other, just hope i'm wrong on it anyway.

My point being that a county board can announce a multi year deal but either side can ‘terminate’ the arrangement with no sanction for either, unlike in professional sport where there’s legally binding contracts.

I don’t know what arrangement Sheedy has with the county board, but if he’s back next season I’d presume he’d give a straight answer.
    Either he’s looking for specific demands to be fulfilled before he commits, or he’s not coming back..

• Advertisement

My point being that a county board can announce a multi year deal but either side can ‘terminate’ the arrangement with no sanction for either, unlike in professional sport where there’s legally binding contracts.

I don’t know what arrangement Sheedy has with the county board, but if he’s back next season I’d presume he’d give a straight answer.
    Either he’s looking for specific demands to be fulfilled before he commits, or he’s not coming back..
    It isnt as simple as him giving a straight answer. Maybe he's simply talking time to reflect on what has been a long year and successful year before telling the county or maybe they know and havent announced anything.
    Announcing multi year deals isnt bizarre though. It promotes consistency and allows for more prep/best steps put forward for success.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Am I right in saying that Cadell, Cahill and Jake Morris have now won Minor, u20, u21 and senior All Ireland's? Cadell also with a Harty and Croke cup.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Announcing multi year deals isnt bizarre though. It promotes consistency and allows for more prep/best steps put forward for success.

Unfortunately you’re missing the point ( not unexpectedly)
    Given that managers in gaa are ‘voluntary’ and there’s no legal contract in place, how can these ‘deals’ be anything other than nod/wink arrangements.
    What censure is there for either side for a breach of the ‘multi year deal’? None.
    They’re not legally enforceable contracts of employment.

Unfortunately you’re missing the point ( not unexpectedly)
    Given that managers in gaa are ‘voluntary’ and there’s no legal contract in place, how can these ‘deals’ be anything other than nod/wink arrangements.
    What censure is there for either side for a breach of the ‘multi year deal’? None.
    They’re not legally enforceable contracts of employment.
    You can still announce a multi year deal though. Im not missing any point and you can get over yourself about the brackets part of the post

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Am I right in saying that Cadell, Cahill and Jake Morris have now won Minor, u20, u21 and senior All Ireland's? Cadell also with a Harty and Croke cup.

Cadell would have a Fitz too as unplaying panel member I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Congrats to St Michaels FC on winning FAI Junior Cup.
    Very Well Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Tipp also win Tony Forristal and Sonny Walsh Tournaments in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Is Jason Forde suspended for Silvermines tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Mokuba wrote: »
    Is Jason Forde suspended for Silvermines tomorrow?

Yep, he's out.

** Served his ban against Kilruane, free to play tomorrow.

Super to see Tipp win both divisions of Tony Forristal beating Galway in Div 1 by 0-13 v 1-8 and Offaly in Div 2. Congrats all.

• Advertisement

Definitely add Colin Bowe to that list for a start, and one or two others likely possibles as well. Bowe had a quiet enough game last night compared to his previous standards, but looks a serious prospect to me. Great that we dont need to be rushing any of these guys either, a year or two on the fringes of the senior panel will do them all the power of good.

Incidentally, i dont need to check the record books to know that Jake Morris, Jerome Cahill & Paddy Cadell made history last night that will never, ever be repeated. All Ireland minor, under 21, senior, under 20 medals - all by the age of 20! Incredible haul.

Fair shout on Bowe alright. Just think the others have a slightly better shout. But hey, trying to tell how a player will develop is anyones guess. Good prospects aplenty is the main thing.
    Super to see Tipp win both divisions of Tony Forristal beating Galway in Div 1 by 0-13 v 1-8 and Offaly in Div 2. Congrats all.

Think this is slightly backwards. Think Tipp won the Tony Forrestal beating Offaly in Div 1 Final by 3-11 to 1-06 (beat Galway in the Semi by 0-13 to 1-08) and won Division 2 (Sonny Walsh) beating Galway 3-06 to 1-03. Congrats to all involved!

On a side note, how do people think Tipp will fare for the All Stars this year? Between the Sunday Game, Joe.ie, Balls.ie etc. most have plenty of Tipp defenders with Noel McGrath and Seamus Callanan further up the field. Its surprising to me that only 1 Tipp forward would be selected though. Of the 6 forward spots, I would say Callanan, Reid, Horgan and Chin would be nailed on to get one. Personally think either Bubbles or Forde has a great chance for one of the remaining two spots. Thoughts?

Ompala wrote: »
    Fair shout on Bowe alright. Just think the others have a slightly better shout. But hey, trying to tell how a player will develop is anyones guess. Good prospects aplenty is the main thing.

Think this is slightly backwards. Think Tipp won the Tony Forrestal beating Offaly in Div 1 Final by 3-11 to 1-06 (beat Galway in the Semi by 0-13 to 1-08) and won Division 2 (Sonny Walsh) beating Galway 3-06 to 1-03. Congrats to all involved!

On a side note, how do people think Tipp will fare for the All Stars this year? Between the Sunday Game, Joe.ie, Balls.ie etc. most have plenty of Tipp defenders with Noel McGrath and Seamus Callanan further up the field. Its surprising to me that only 1 Tipp forward would be selected though. Of the 6 forward spots, I would say Callanan, Reid, Horgan and Chin would be nailed on to get one. Personally think either Bubbles or Forde has a great chance for one of the remaining two spots. Thoughts?

Thanks for clearing that up. On the All Star issue i would only have Seamie im the forwards myself. Bubbles has an outside chance but i d9nt think Forde has any chance imo.

The 3 Mahers, Noel and Seamie are home and hosed, so its just a question of how many after that. Barrett should be a near certainty and i'd give a squeak to either Hogan or Bubbles but doubt either will get the nod.

Seymour with a hattrick the weekend? Anyone at it?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭klose

How did the new fence going around the cahir GAA pitch get signed off? It's no more than 6 odd feet from the sideline and a Cashel player shouldered a St Mary's player into it today and its steel and has no give he got an unmerciful slap off and and hit off a spectator to boot who needed a head bandage as he got split open.

Darren Gleeson named Antrim Senior Hurling manager for 2020.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0910/1074976-gleeson-steps-up-to-take-antrim-senior-job/

Best of luck to him, he'll need a few podcasts downloaded for the car.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

It's a crying shame that no one has bothered to put a post here regarding the Ladies Football Team.

Look at the support the women give to our mens hurling and football teams and to all our boys from an early age.

Anyway best of luck to the Ladies, who if they beat Meath today will be playing Senior next year.

Live on TG4 at 1.45 alao live on Tipp FM.

The best of luck Ladies.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭1373

Xenophile wrote: »
    It's a crying shame that no one has bothered to put a post here regarding the Ladies Football Team.

Look at the support the women give to our mens hurling and football teams and to all our boys from an early age.

Anyway best of luck to the Ladies, who if they beat Meath today will be playing Senior next year.

Live on TG4 at 1.45 alao live on Tipp FM.

The best of luck Ladies.
    It’s hard to post anything when you don’t know the name of any of the players , but best of luck to the girls , will be watching the game

Great interview with Aisling Moloney in the beautiful setting of St.Patricks Holy Well just outside Clonmel.

Location just a kilometer off the N24 west.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=saint+patrick+well+clonmel&qpvt=St.Patricks+well+clonmel&FORM=IGRE

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

There was a guy on the side line, presume he was a mentor, wearing a ' Teneo ' jersey does he not know that the Ladies team is sponored by ' Camida '.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement