Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Xenophile wrote: »
    No, he was a total failure with Wexford.

to be fair wexford were in a terrible place when he took over , we played them in one of his first games in charge of them , at the time wexford were after spiraling down 3 divisions and after losing several key players

wexford football has got worse since and to no fault of david , he was in the wrong place at the wrong time in my opinion ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Cant see it working, i know of kilsheelan lads that wouldn't play under him for his home club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

to be fair wexford were in a terrible place when he took over , we played them in one of his first games in charge of them , at the time wexford were after spiraling down 3 divisions and after losing several key players

wexford football has got worse since and to no fault of david , he was in the wrong place at the wrong time in my opinion ,

If you have the talent there is no easier place to make a good impression than with a team that is really down.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

A massive step down from kearns.

Power is ego driven.

Can’t see it ending well.

The people who made this appointment should stand up and be counted. Probably all hurling people with no interest in football.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

No mention of a Football appointment on the Tipperary County Board website. I guess they are just not interested.

Or, you know, maybe it hasn't been officially ratified yet at a county board meeting :rolleyes:

The people who made this appointment should stand up and be counted. Probably all hurling people with no interest in football.

I'm pretty sure there is a football board tasked with selecting the manager in Tipp and in fairness to them I would doubt there was a huge pool to pick from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Football board appointment you hurling hating numpty. :D

Football board appointment you hurling hating numpty. :D

A Football Board recommendation has to be ratified by the County Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

A Football Board recommendation has to be ratified by the County Board.

He'll be ratified tomorrow night.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Comment from a Wexford Football supporter.

I didn't rate him at all the play was terrible and they went backwards quickly as a unit. if he's any use it's over younger players not seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Cahill will be a loss.good crack next year if he comes to thurles with the blahs and does a job on ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Cahill will be a loss.good crack next year if he comes to thurles with the blahs and does a job on ye.

Playing them in Waterford next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Strange enough move.couldn't see them being a force and if it goes badly it hurts
    His stock. Then if he gets them turned around he is a genius and next tipp boss.
    Interesting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Good luck to him if the news is true. Guess he feels he's done all he can at the under age level and isnt in the mood to wait the 2 or how ever many years it will be waiting for the next tipp senior vacancy. In a way i dont think this is bad for tipp, getting good senior experience down there will surely stand to him if it ever comes about that that vacancy then does appear at the right time for him. Has a bit of talent to work with down there, definitely wont be underestimating them next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Strange enough move.couldn't see them being a force and if it goes badly it hurts
    His stock. Then if he gets them turned around he is a genius and next tipp boss.
    Interesting stuff
    Not really that strange. It will be a proper challenge and thats only good for his development as a coach
    Good luck to him if the news is true. Guess he feels he's done all he can at the under age level and isnt in the mood to wait the 2 or how ever many years it will be waiting for the next tipp senior vacancy. In a way i dont think this is bad for tipp, getting good senior experience down there will surely stand to him if it ever comes about that that vacancy then does appear at the right time for him. Has a bit of talent to work with down there, definitely wont be underestimating them next year.
    I can only see this as a good thing. He gets senior experience at inter county level and if successful can come back to tipp role having a few years experience under his belt at inter county level...

Big loss for tipp if its confirmed, he was a shoe in for next tipp manager now its unlikely.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Great appointment for both sides if true
    W’ford are getting a proven winner who’s gotten the best from sides of varying ability. He was probably getting the tipp job until Sheedy showed interest.

Cahill is getting the chance to manage a ‘tier 1’ side with some top players. Great experience both on and off the pitch....probably with an eye on tipp when Sheedy steps aside. Though Munster will be a dogfight ( as usual) next year.

I wonder will sides take the tipp/limerick approach next year where qualifying for the all Ireland series is prioritized. Might give Waterford/Cahill some breathing room..

Big loss for tipp if its confirmed, he was a shoe in for next tipp manager now its unlikely.

Hard to know. I think Cahill wants the Tipp job in the future, but he also wants to test himself at the highest level. I wish him well in any event and I genuinely think he will be a success down in Waterford. He'll bring a steely resolve to them that they have been lacking. I hope he will be a future manager for us someday. He has earned his shot at it. Hopefully the hurling gods will line things up for us sometime in the future.

digzy wrote: »
    Great appointment for both sides if true
    W’ford are getting a proven winner who’s gotten the best from sides of varying ability. He was probably getting the tipp job until Sheedy showed interest.

Cahill is getting the chance to manage a ‘tier 1’ side with some top players. Great experience both on and off the pitch....probably with an eye on tipp when Sheedy steps aside. Though Munster will be a dogfight ( as usual) next year.

I wonder will sides take the tipp/limerick approach next year where qualifying for the all Ireland series is prioritized. Might give Waterford/Cahill some breathing room..

Prior to Sheedy taking the Tipp job, I felt that all signs indictated that Willie Maher would land it. I heard the issue with Cahill is that he didnt have the choice of his management team. How true that is i dont know.

• Advertisement

Charlie McKeever, Joe Hayes -( former Clare Keeper) Micky Mcgeenan and Paddy Christie (Dub) is supposed to be the backroom team.

https://twitter.com/StephenGleeson_/status/1176604279358066691?s=19

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Maybe it's time that Eoin Kelly started his inter county management career. Anyone agree that he should start with the minors and work towards the under 20's, I have no doubt that he will one day be a senior manager.

11 All Star Nominations for Tipperary.

Brian Hogan

Pádraic Maher
    Ronan Maher
    Cathal Barrett
    Brendan Maher
    Barry Heffernan

Noel McGrath

John O’Dwyer
    Jason Forde
    Séamus Callanan
    John McGrath

PLAYER OF THE YEAR NOMINEES

1 Patrick Horgan (Cork)
    2 TJ Reid (Kilkenny)
    3 Séamus Callanan (Tipperary )

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Think Noel not being a nominee for POTY is a good thing, 1/100 Callanan gets it now

Cahill stepped down from the u20 role.

Looks inevitable now.

Brave move, Waterford job has all the hallmarks of a poison chalice. He'll have a tough job to get out of Munster. If it doesn't go well for him his chances of the Tipp job will have taken a big knock.

He's a bit of a miracle man though and it's a major coup for Waterford no doubt about it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

radharc wrote: »
    Think Noel not being a nominee for POTY is a good thing, 1/100 Callanan gets it now

Well it's a different voting system to 2016 so that farce shouldn't happen again.
    Still Noel should have been nominated. He had a great year, man of the match in the semi final and final.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Well it's a different voting system to 2016 so that farce shouldn't happen again.
    Still Noel should have been nominated. He had a great year, man of the match in the semi final and final.

Which of the 3 would you leave out?

digzy wrote: »
    Which of the 3 would you leave out?

Hoggie

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Cahill stepped down from the u20 role.

Looks inevitable now.

Brave move, Waterford job has all the hallmarks of a poison chalice. He'll have a tough job to get out of Munster. If it doesn't go well for him his chances of the Tipp job will have taken a big knock.

He's a bit of a miracle man though and it's a major coup for Waterford no doubt about it.

+1 on this - great appointment for Waterford. Cahill has more to lose if it doesn't go well.
    I'd like to see him do well there, but not too well : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

marvin80 wrote: »
    +1 on this - great appointment for Waterford. Cahill has more to lose if it doesn't go well.
    I'd like to see him do well there, but not too well : )

I would be of the opposite opinion as we haven’t won a game in Munster in 2 years so any progress on that will be seen as a success. If he broadens the net he will have at least 5 more valuable additions to the squad that were cast aside by Mcgrath and that can strengthen his hand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement