Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He's been largely forgotten unfortunately but I think it's important to recognize the efforts of Billy Mccarthy.

No doubt he would have been there or thereabouts had he not suffered that horrific injury. I'd imagine he's found it tough the last few weeks looking on. Heard he's back doing some light work with a view to next season. Would be great to see him back.

Absolutely. Was Mickey Cahill mentioned the other night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Absolutely. Was Mickey Cahill mentioned the other night?

I doubt he’ll ever make a tipp squad again.
    He told me about his injuries a few years back before college and I’m amazed he lasted as long as he did

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Love the kk thread at the minute....calling for Cody’s head even !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

TAINTED me hole, next will be looking for a replay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭1373

digzy wrote: »
    Love the kk thread at the minute....calling for Cody’s head even !!

They are already picking a team for next year , no rest for the wicked or bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Another post from the kk thread
    Anyway one of my friends was playing in the Teach Tom charity golf tournament on Wednesday in Gowran. Who did he get paired with only Brendan Cummins. On their round and inevitably the match starts to be discussed and eventually the red card. Cummins told him that the RTE pundits were able to listen to the refs mic. He said that the linesman told Owens that, and I'm paraphrasing here "It was just a foul and that Barrett was hamming it up and he'd seen him smiling to the medical staff. No card was needed". So to those who said that the ref took his time to consult his linesman before he made his decision, whats the justification of ignoring your linesman who you've consulted, if he wasn't feed something from somewhere else. Which we all know is not currently legislated for in the game. I think Richie should definitely appeal the decision and expose what really went on.

digzy wrote: »
    I doubt he’ll ever make a tipp squad again.
    He told me about his injuries a few years back before college and I’m amazed he lasted as long as he did

Would have been nice if he got a mention all the same. Gave years of solid service to Tipp hurling and as you say he's dogged with injury

Another post from the kk thread
    Anyway one of my friends was playing in the Teach Tom charity golf tournament on Wednesday in Gowran. Who did he get paired with only Brendan Cummins. On their round and inevitably the match starts to be discussed and eventually the red card. Cummins told him that the RTE pundits were able to listen to the refs mic. He said that the linesman told Owens that, and I'm paraphrasing here "It was just a foul and that Barrett was hamming it up and he'd seen him smiling to the medical staff. No card was needed". So to those who said that the ref took his time to consult his linesman before he made his decision, whats the justification of ignoring your linesman who you've consulted, if he wasn't feed something from somewhere else. Which we all know is not currently legislated for in the game. I think Richie should definitely appeal the decision and expose what really went on.

Jay from the inbetweeners wouldnt come out with that one. Cummins himself said on the Sunday game that night that it was a red sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Ompala

Ah lads, what a rollercoaster year its been for the Tipp seniors. I was there for our first game in the league vs Clare and was there last Sunday vs Kilkenny. From our first game in the Championship you could feel that there was something different about Tipp. The workrate, hunger and fitness levels were far greater than 2018, even though we had largely had the same personnel. In round robin they played scintillating hurling, comfortably winning all their games before things game to a shuddering halt in the Munster Final against Limerick. Its easy to say in hindsight, but you do have to question how much did the lads try for that game seeing how things transpired for the rest of the championship.

From a fairly rudderless display versus Laois where we never looked like losing but didn't set the world alight to a serious graft and ground out victory against Wexford in the semi final where they answered a serious amount of questions about character that had been asked. Defence slowly squeezed the life out of Wexford, with our forwards being extremely clinical, along with our bench having a serious impact. The game of the season for me,

All roads led to Croker last Sunday with the old enemy Kk standing in their way. We started quite sluggishly, a lot of Kk early scores came from unforced errors on our behalf as much as it did Kilkennys intensity. However from being 0-08 to 0-03 down we hauled ourselves back into it. If theres one thing this team thrives off it is raising a green flag, and full credit to Niall O'Meara for sticking the 1st goal. It was a great bit of vision from Forde to hand pass it to him, and Niall duly turned Conor Fogarty inside out before rattling the net. Suddenly things started clicking and you could see Tipp start to grow.

And then Richie Hogan got himself sent off, and at a convenient time too as just coming up to half time it meant Tipp could think about how to use Barrett as a spare man. Don't see how this was in anyway controversial myself, twas a definite red for me. What amazes me most was what came in the second half as Kilkenny had no Plan B, and persisted to lump high ball in on top of a full forward line that met Ronan Maher having the game of his life. And when good supply of ball goes in to our forward line, they can do serious damage. And they did it yet again to Kilkenny, going straight for the jugular to give themselves a cushion from there to the finish. In previous finals we have been guilty of not taking goal chances, 2009 and 2014 being the prime examples, but they were were not going to make that mistake again. Poacher like finish from Callanan for the 2nd goal, and great vision to pick out Bubbles for the 3rd. Kk full back line will be having nightmares on how they allowed him to ghost in unmarked. In fairness to Huw Lawlor, he had a decent game on Callanan up til then, but in 5 second half minutes the damage was done.

It was noticeable too how Sheedy brought on some of the faster forwards such as Connors, Kehoe and Morris along with Ger Browne to see out the game as Kilkennys back were tiring. And contribute they did as they racked up 5 points between them. A good sign for the future I would say.

As for Kilkenny, they are never too far away despite all the talk of them being in decline. As Limerick learned this year write them off at your peril. Although things didn't work out for them in the final, I think there are plenty of reasons for them to be optimistic as they have some good younger players coming through. Lawlor, Mullen etc. will have long careers yet I'm sure. The main concern for them will be how they cope when TJ Reid calls it a day. Superb hurler all round.

There is no better feeling than being there to see the lads lifting Liam. All the talk of 2 in a row, retirements etc. can wait, lets enjoy the best decade for Tipp hurling since the 60s and a truly great group of players.

Finally, lets hope for a big Tipp crowd in the Gaelic Grounds on Saturday Night for a mouthwatering game vs Cork. The Munster Final earlier this year was an absolute cracker, and I'm looking forward to another clash between the two. Cork will be out to get us for last year I'm sure, but heres hoping for a senior & Under 20 double.

Hon the Premier :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 premiertipp

Jay from the inbetweeners wouldnt come out with that one. Cummins himself said on the Sunday game that night that it was a red sure :D

Imagine Cummins saying that.never mind saying it IN KILKENNY...how low can they go....

8 minutes 4 goals, some start.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Sheedy interviewed at half time and again refuses to confirm he'll be involved next year..

Can we not take him on full time and get him away from the bank.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Sheedy interviewed at half time and again refuses to confirm he'll be involved next year..

Can we not take him on full time and get him away from the bank.
    Why should he? Do it in own time
    He'd be taking far too much pay drop if leave bank. Could be on 150k easy as a provincial manager with BOI so no chance he'd leave that for much less with Tipp

Why should he? Do it in own time
    He'd be taking far too much pay drop if leave bank. Could be on 150k easy as a provincial manager with BOI so no chance he'd leave that for much less with Tipp

Ah yeah that was obviously a joke.

Still, isn't he on a 3 yr contract? Sounds like he isn't staying, would be a massive loss again.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ah yeah that was obviously a joke.

Still, isn't he on a 3 yr contract? Sounds like he isn't staying, would be a massive loss again.
    you never know with some people :pac:
    Is he. Might be on 3 years but probably(??) clauses to get out as well at any time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

H'on the premier!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Words fail me.Well done again Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Tipp! Tipp! Tipp Tipp! Class act lads. The future is dazzlingly bright. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

The 5 in a row starts here lads! lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭klose

Same as 2010 to a degree, hammer the cats in the final and the u21s win the following week containing players from the senior panel too. Let's hope the next couple seasons go better than back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Ompala

Definitely didn't see that coming, a very good Cork team and what a demolition job by Tipp on them! Hon Tipp ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Was at the All Ireland final as well as all championship matches and most of the league.

It was a great day and I had predicted at least a 7 point win (means nothing as if you look at the spurs thread I am an eternal optimist and predict huge wins every time).

Sending off was a turning point but we were definitely beginning to outplay kilkenny after their great start. Ronan Maher has progressed to one of yhe best players in the country. Seamus callanan is pure class.

One thing I was amazed at was how much better our subs were compared to when.they came on in the Limerick match. Every analyst questioned our squad and was delighted they were proven wrong.

Was it me or was there much more tipp support?. At the end the stadium was still 3/4 full for the cup and mostly in blue.

Felt for kilkenny but it was our day.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ah here now. Lets keep the lid on things :) Very impressive from the lads in fairness

In 2015 we also narrowly lost an u21 football All ireland by a point and got to a minor football final. Our Senior footballers made an All ireland football semi final too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

In 2015 we also narrowly lost an u21 football All ireland by a point and got to a minor football final. Our Senior footballers made an All ireland football semi final too.

i always talked up that tipp team , and wondered on here why no one backed them , to be fair if you are turning out that level of success in hurling it all makes sense now

there is so much bull**** attached to football in the media , teams like tyrone and donegal get huge coverage , the two combined have won 5 all irelands in there lifetime . clare and tipp have done great things in football while sticking to the hurling mantra and its like no one wants us around ;):rolleyes:

its been a fantastic decade for tipperary gaa , the mcgraths in loughmore will have to build an extension for all them medals lying around the house :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

8 minutes 4 goals, some start.

Blitzkrieg

3 all Irelands in 4 years years for Cahill. Some achievement.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

That second three pointer last night was like Harlem Globetrotters material. The pinpoint delivery into full forward line, the ridiculous control by Seymour, slick offload to Morris who deftly picked out Ormond to give the coupe de grace. Stupendous hurling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement