Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

So...in a nutshell, with, say, €100k, is there much between the expected return per annum from prize bonds and a deposit account after dirt?

Would it matter to you if your 100K turned into 100,350 at the end of a year, instead of say 100,500? Or stayed at 100K. That is the chance you take with Prize Bonds, absolutely no guarantee of winning. But with average luck you would win 7 x €50 over the course of 52 draws. DIRT free.

I prefer bonds just for the bit of excitement every week. For a fair comparison you would need an account with instant access, and fully guaranteed. This is a list of what is available at present.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/savings-best-buys.90481/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Would it matter to you if your 100K turned into 100,350 at the end of a year, instead of say 100,500? Or stayed at 100K. That is the chance you take with Prize Bonds, absolutely no guarantee of winning. But with average luck you would win 7 x €50 over the course of 52 draws. DIRT free.

I prefer bonds just for the bit of excitement every week. For a fair comparison you would need an account with instant access, and fully guaranteed. This is a list of what is available at present.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/savings-best-buys.90481/

Yep, you've convinced me of my own thoughts. At that rate of return I think the fun aspect wins out.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

e50 today! First winner since the start of June.

Hope more winners for those checking!

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Ah lads, you'd easily get a 8-10% year-on-year return investing weekly in a few ETFs or equities and Gold/silver, compound interest is better than any prize bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 13th September 2019: €0
    Last win 23rd August 2019: €50
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €2900
    2011: €75 x 4 €300
    2012: €75 x 6 €450
    2013: €50 x 12 €600
    2014: €50 x 9 €450
    2015: €50 x 5 €250
    2016: €50 x 5 €250
    2017: €50 x 4 €200
    2018: €50 x 2 €100
    2019: €50 x 6 €300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭PB2018

Wins on 13th September 2019: €0
    Last win: 5th July 2019: €50
    Weeks since last win: 10
    €134k invested in prize bonds since July 2017
    Win ratio: 13 wins in 115 weeks (11%)
    2017 (Jul-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2018 (Jan-Dec): 4 x €50 = €200
    2019 (Jan-date): 4 x €50 = €200

50 Euro today, 7th win this year, way better than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Winnings on 13th September 2019: €50
    Last win: 23rd August 2019: €50
    Weeks since last win: 3

2017 (Jul-Dec) - €100k – 7x€50 = €350
    2018 (Jan-Dec) - €200k – 12x€50 = €600
    2019 (Jan-July) - €250k – 16x€50 = €800

Also doing better than 2018 following this win.

Nothing for me. Lucky people this week in Galway, Waterford and Portugal. Those were the only two winners in Portugal.

Prize Value Winning Prize BondLocation

€50 AOK202579 Galway
    €50 AOK202587 Galway

€50 ALB965148 Waterford
    €50 ALB965677 Waterford
    €50 ALB966229 Waterford

€50 ABU911706 Portugal
    €50 ABU912396 Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

2 X €50. Have won more since beginning of July than I won Jan - June. Ahead of early Sept 2018.:):)

• Advertisement

2 X €50. Have won more since beginning of July than I won Jan - June. Ahead of early Sept 2018.:):)

That's what can happen, unless you have 10's of millions. I went the last 3 months of 2017, and the first 3 of 2018, 26 draws without a win. Then I got 15 in the last 9 months of 2018.

That's what can happen, unless you have 10's of millions. I went the last 3 months of 2017, and the first 3 of 2018, 26 draws without a win. Then I got 15 in the last 9 months of 2018.

I'd say anyone with 10's of millions would have there money invested rather keeping it in prize bonds which make pretty much 0%

JMMCapital wrote: »
    I'd say anyone with 10's of millions would have there money invested rather keeping it in prize bonds which make pretty much 0%

There was €3.4 billion in the fund at the end of 2018, and it is on the up and up. Half of that money came in after the crash. Do they know something you don't?

There was €3.4 billion in the fund at the end of 2018, and it is on the up and up. Half of that money came in after the crash. Do they know something you don't?

I guarantee you all that money is from small time savers, anyone with 1 million euro+ would have there money invested in equities,bonds,treasury notes,ETFs,gold,real estate, cashflow generating businesses etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I guarantee you all that money is from small time savers, anyone with 1 million euro+ would have there money invested in equities,bonds,treasury notes,ETFs,gold,real estate, cashflow generating businesses etc..

If that is so why do they need to put a cap of 250k on prize bond ownership?

my3cents wrote: »

Didn't realise there was a cap of 250k, wouldn't make much sense for high net worth individuals to have money in prize bonds anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

my3cents wrote: »
    To stop it being a resting place for pension funds?

b3155e43d60d374f5345c9942dd42463f6af4e682c370f436ea8ad1ff7bb6c1a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,898 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah lads, you'd easily get a 8-10% year-on-year return investing weekly in a few ETFs or equities and Gold/silver, compound interest is better than any prize bond.
    8-10%? Maybe if you invested in a time machine and went back to 2012...

Also... you dont often see gold and silver and 10% returns in the same sentence.

Thargor wrote: »
    8-10%? Maybe if you invested in a time machine and went back to 2012...

Also... you dont often see gold and silver and 10% returns in the same sentence.

Gold has been up 20% YTD and silver up 25% since June. I own both physically, great investment and hedge against inflation specially with interest rates likely to go negative and QE occuring more often.

at least 10% of my portfolio is in precious metals I've had great returns holding both and will continue to buy them on a monthly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

GOLD..... for those who are interested I suggest you google “price of gold 100 years” and switch to the images page. The charts look like a walk in the Himalayas. (While wearing a tee shirt and shorts). Undoubtedly direct investment in precious metals can play a part in very/hyper actively managed portfolios, but like any direct commodity investment very small parcels are the best approach for all but the most “fearless” “investors”

Note also that the words “gold” and “fools” are often paired.

Tulips anybody.....

• Advertisement

Hibernicis wrote: »
    GOLD..... for those who are interested I suggest you google “price of gold 100 years” and switch to the images page. The charts look like a walk in the Himalayas. (While wearing a tee shirt and shorts). Undoubtedly direct investment in precious metals can play a part in very/hyper actively managed portfolios, but like any direct commodity investment very small parcels are the best approach for all but the most “fearless” “investors”

Tulips anybody.....

Are you for real? Typical uneducated response...

You should read up on finance a little maybe take a course you could make a bit more than 50 euro here and there...

Comparing gold to Tulip Mania is the most dumbest thing I’ve ever read. Gold has been mined and used for thousands of years since the ancient pharaohs. It’s a good hedge against inflation and deflation alike, and a good portfolio diversifier and can also provide good cover during geopolitical and macroeconomic uncertainty along with its numerous economic uses....

I would agree with you if you were comparing tulips to bitcoin/cryptocurrencys but never gold....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Hibernicis wrote: »

Tulips anybody.....
    Himalayan walk as long as you're going up the mountain in investing sounds great, no?

Gold Def looks like up to me??

So what are you saying?

Gold has been up 20% YTD and silver up 25% since June. I own both physically, great investment and hedge against inflation specially with interest rates likely to go negative and QE occuring more often.

at least 10% of my portfolio is in precious metals I've had great returns holding both and will continue to buy them on a monthly basis.
    Yeah that's great but there are always 20-25% slides to go with any cherry picked period of 20-25% gains, nobodies going to get rich holding gold, it's the same price now as it was in 2011 and way down from its peak. Prize bonds are a way safer place to park money you can't lose like a house deposit.

I'd be more interested in these ETFs paying 8-10% you're invested in, any info on those please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

VOO is up over 23% year to date with a 2% dividend. It would probably be easy enough to pick any asset/asset class and show a very significant increase in value over a particular period of time. It would also be easy enough to pick any asset/asset class and show a very significant decrease over a particular period of time. If gold was the 20% guaranteed panacea sure every mug would load up with it. There have been a few great 'Gold' threads on boards over time, great reads for anybody with insomnia.

I have prize bonds, I have other stuff as well, prize bond holders shouldn't be justifying their holding to anyone, their money is safe (in the current low interest environment) and there is always the butterfly in the stomach moment every Friday, live and let live

Very little of the gold on earth has been mined. And there might be supplies coming from space. Just an aside to the discussion.

http://www.westcoastplacer.com/how-much-gold-is-left-on-earth/

But in a future major catastrophe, the only assets of value will be food, potable water, medicines and fuel. Paper money, metal money, bullion, fine art, company shares, all worthless. And the means of exchange will be barter, or more likely violence. Maybe high net worth individuals should concentrate less on increasing that wealth to the maximum, and enjoy what they have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Very little of the gold on earth has been mined. And there might be supplies coming from space. Just an aside to the discussion.

http://www.westcoastplacer.com/how-much-gold-is-left-on-earth/

But in a future major catastrophe, the only assets of value will be food, potable water, medicines and fuel. Paper money, metal money, bullion, fine art, company shares, all worthless. And the means of exchange will be barter, or more likely violence. Maybe high net worth individuals should concentrate less on increasing that wealth to the maximum, and enjoy what they have already.

The Richest will cause that catastrophe through greed and then the wealth gets redistributed about and we start again.

Read about the billionaire town in new Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

€290k invested in Prize Bonds. I am going to see how many "wins" I have from Sept 17th 2019 until same week next year.

1 x €50 this week. Sept 17th/2019. 1st week. Total = €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Every time I watch an episode of The Walking Dead I think of this. :D

€290k invested in Prize Bonds. I am going to see how many "wins" I have from Sept 17th 2019 until same week next year.

1 x €50 this week. Sept 17th/2019. 1st week. Total = €50.
    How did you get around the 250k limit?

Thanks for the updates though this should be interesting on a lump sum that size...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

dxhound2005 posted this a few weeks ago - seemingly, that 250K limit has now jumped to 500K!

The limits outlined on the application form say €500K for a holding in joint names.

https://www.statesavings.ie/media/pdf/prizebonds_application_form

Advertisement