Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I pity the local school who will have to deal with all the kids' issues on the day the centre opens

Well, they'd fill up the local schools and displace the locals to more remote schools. Maybe require more funding for English teachers.

But that's assuming there'll all innocent little children and not angry teenagers brought up in a gang culture already. See how that worked out in Balbriggan...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Wibbs wrote: »
    The other thread hereabouts about TV intros had one on 70's documentary The World at War about the second world war. I had an oul look again at a couple of episodes that evening and one on the fall of France after Germany invaded mentioned the terrible state of the long lines of civillian refugees fleeing the conflict. And you know what stands out, and stands out with any such genuine refugee flood? the vast majority of refugees were women and children and old people. Vanishingly few young men. Compare and contrast with the current so called chancers "refugee crisis". The ratio is completely reversed. Nearly all young men. Hmmmm. Or as I like to call it; utter bollocks.

Families, women and kids, the elderly? No problem with those folks coming here as genuine refugees from actual warzones. Young men coming across the Mediterranean in their hundreds of thousands? Bugger off, go home.

I don't know Wibbs, the days of young men being forced to die for dictators are finally behind us and I'm glad it's that way. For sure there are chancers but let the asylum system do its job and if it's not working reform it till it does work.. not condemn people just because they are young and male

The vocal minority of left wing activists on the subject want DP closed down, DP is a very necessary deterent against endless flows of people from all over the world

• Registered Users Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

enricoh wrote: »
    What will 250 migrants add to the town?

Answer - absolutely nothing, hotel owner becomes a millionaire n thats about it. Thanks but no thanks leo.

Year round jobs, running the DP centre.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    What conditions? They are escaping a warzone

Who ?
    All sorts escape a warzone... including the prepetrators.
    We could be housing the equivalent of Nazi war criminals and made an absolute fool of.

Where's the proper screening of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

We all need to contribute to the problems facing the likes of Syria but we should not be encouraging migration, Italy and Greece are overwhelmed at this stage, emptying Africa of it's people solves nothing either, the real destitute can't afford to bribe people smugglers, what makes it to Europe are the middle class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

What conditions? They are escaping a warzone

Exactly. Of course the majority of sane Irish people know that that is the biggest load of tripe going. Everyone knows (except for the bleeding heart numbskulls) that the vast majority are only chancers jumping on the Syrian refugee bangwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

The issue is this, folk rightly feel they have zero input, and when they express concerns, a whole community rather lazily and inaccurately get labelled as rascist so as to shut them up.

A few years ago, when Alan Kelly was minister, he signed regulations that basically said you do not need planning permission to turn a hotel (amongst other buildings) into accommodation for asylum seekers. Therefore the public lost their right to be consulted through the process of a planning application. I would seriously question whether the department of justice seriously check that there's enough facilities to accommodate 200 plus people, many possibly traumatised, and their needs. A planning applications would allow a public process to look into such matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That dangerous little twerp from PBP Joe Loughnane is all over this of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Are there any direct provision centers in the constituencies of the politicians who are for them ? I would be interested to see that answer. Would be a good parliamentary question to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Arghus wrote: »
    What saddens me the most about things like this is that everything becomes so emotive and polarised right from the beginning.

You're either a racist or a bleeding heart hard-leftie, depending on what you say and there's no space for any nuance or attempt to find some common ground. The voices start shouting from both sides of the debate and everyone in the middle feels brow beaten and just lets them to it. The rhetoric in here is already fairly hot and I'm surprised to see it coming from some posters who usually, I would think, pride themselves on their objectivity and critical thinking.

I posted similar before Brexit and Trump predicting both
    I could see them a mile off and see similar voting results on the way.

anyone questioning the migrant issues at all gets shouted down as being racist / islamphobe.
    Along with the cover up of mass sexual assaults it all just pushed regular average centre of the road people over to the right .
    And it’s a long way from being over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Crazy idea dreamt up by fools.

How could they not foresee problems with dumping 250 people into a small village? No preparation or research done at all. It seems it’s just to look good to our European friends.
    I fear for this country.

Crazy idea dreamt up by fools.

How could they not foresee problems with dumping 250 people into a small village? No preparation or research done at all. It seems it’s just to look good to our European friends.
    I fear for this country.

Unfortunately it's a part of being in the EU.

Spain and Italy are getting the brunt of the initial wave of African migrants and are expecting the rest of the EU to spare their pain.
    Initially it was "the first country" has to house them... but that meant all the Southern countries had to deal with them.

So political wranglings meant we had to share their problem.
    It's only the start

Wait until climate change forces millions towards North Africa and on to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Unfortunately it's a part of being in the EU.

Spain and Italy are getting the brunt of the initial wave of African migrants and are expecting the rest of the EU to spare their pain.
    Initially it was "the first country" has to house them... but that meant all the Southern countries had to deal with them.

So political wranglings meant we had to share their problem.
    It's only the start

Wait until climate change forces millions towards North Africa and on to Europe.

Well at least they can’t put this one down to Brexit.

Awful naivety though to expect the people of a small village to put up with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We are a tiny country in Europe that cannot/will not adequately support its indigenous with homes now.

But hey, let's just have a brain f@rt and say, come in one and all, you will be looked after, to heck with our own people and the constraints on their own communities, health, education, integration and so on. Doesn't matter a whit, come in, come in, the fire is lit.

But I think we all know the reality here really. We are part of a bigger scheme, be that EU or UN I dunno, but that is the reality I think. Need to keep our nose clean and be nice because of Brexit etc. We are paying a rather big price now, but let's see how it goes.

Irish people are not stupid, that's what I focus on. Ministers, the Government can spout all they like, but I look for the puppet strings myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭yoke

Wait even more until climate change causes conflict over resources with large non-eu economies. “Better in our camp than against us”. We need to get bigger and more powerful (as part of the EU) rather than stay small and exclusionist, which will get us all pushed around and killed in the long term by the larger blocs... although this is a “long term” tendency, we still owe it to future generations to plan for it.
    We saw it in brexit negotiations recently where Boris Johnson didn’t hesitate to try and bully Ireland to get his way, luckily we are part of a bigger bloc and his attempt backfired on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

This is such a blooming lark. These people are not refugees, they are not the van guard for the women and children coming after them. They are mostly economic migrants. I cannot go to Australia or Canada or even fricking India without a proper visa no matter how much I think I might have a nicer time there.
    This migration has also become a hero's journey, a rite of passage, for many young men in far flung places, the odyssey to Europe where food and free shelter and gas craic awaits. Many are traveling from quite peaceful places and most are from reasonably affluent backgrounds because it costs quite a whack to pay the traffickers. Who are encouraged by this sort of malarkey.
    I read someone lately who said it matters not if we send aid or trade to improve the lot of people in places like Africa or more easterly parts of this continent because what lads are gonna stay on the farm when they are getting photos back on their phones from their mates in Paris.
    Im not going to fall in line with this bleeding heart bs - this is all about a cheap labour force going forward for fricking globalists. I would welcome whole heartedly families fleeing war. People from different ethnicities and cultures are fascinating. But this codswallop is ...well...codswallop. Eff off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Will someone please think of the children!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't know Wibbs, the days of young men being forced to die for dictators are finally behind us and I'm glad it's that way. For sure there are chancers but let the asylum system do its job and if it's not working reform it till it does work.. not condemn people just because they are young and male
    A) those days of young men being forced to die for dictators are nowhere near over, or y'know we wouldn't have warzones. B) I condemn them because too many are going on boats to the "promised land" paying thousands to ratbag traffickers to facilitate this, being picked up and ferried by European naval ships to said promised land(you couldn't make it up) and a large proportion of them are not coming from warzones, or are not Syrians, but are economic migrants.

Great, if they were trained and educated for roles they could fill in this society, but few enough are. So no, I certainly don't want more of them. I certainly don't want Irish towns and cities to go down the retarded route of following our European neighbours decades long multiple examples of ghettoisation and local social issues and unrest offered up on that busted flush altar of modern "multiculturalism". And no, we won't do it any differently, we won't make a success of it where every single other European country that bought into this nonsense couldn't. And I doubt I'm alone in this opinion and that opinion will grow and we will have those problems where we didn't have them before. Come back in ten, twenty years and observe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Direct Provision has become an industry and it is of no benefit to anyone except those making more than a few bob out of it. Anybody who doesn't see that is a blind fool.

victor8600 wrote: »
    Even though I am a liberal leftie myself, I would support the town's residents on this. Basically what I would object to is putting 250 people into a small town, because these people are forbidden to work, have very little money and are basically tied to the place. Even if they were Buddist monks and having the patience of saints, the boredom of having nothing to do in a small town will drive some people mad.
    Asylum seekers can work after 9 months in the system.

They also have children who can buoy up the numbers (and so, capitation funding) for rural schools. This is a win-win situation for Oughterard, and while there will be some teething problems, it's an absolute folly to pretend there is a sufficiently strong justification for that town's narrow-minded behaviour. Most communities would be delighted at population growth. It seems that the new people are simply 'the wrong type' for this community.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Families, women and kids, the elderly? No problem with those folks coming here as genuine refugees from actual warzones. Young men coming across the Mediterranean in their hundreds of thousands? Bugger off, go home.
    Don't you occasionally point out, when lamenting feminism, that it is men who are disproportionately the victims of political persecution/ war/ violence?

It would be rather a strange thing to ignore single men on that basis. If I were a psychoanalyst, I'd find this bizarre suspicion towards single men almost territorial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

if I was in charge of the migrants crossing the sea into Europe , I would sail towards , sink their vessel and let it be known that's what everyone else that follows will get .
    it's a total f##king joke .
    and on the land , there should be a wall of military , and anyone who crosses the line , let them have a blast .

i went to Boston last month , applied for a holiday visa and pre security checks . if you tried to cross a yank you'd get the bullet first and ask questions after .

so immigrants feck off home and fight your own battles like we did .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Doblin wrote: »
    The people from oughterard who are complaining about getting a direct provision center are coming across very bad, Their excuses on prime time last night were very incoherent. I can understand people in remote parts of Donegal because that's the middle of nowhere but oughterard is like 20 minutes from Galway city, there are lots of busses during the day to to the city. What's their problem like?

Population of the village is 1300 people, so adding 200 to that is a big deal. Apparently only 1 Dr in the village and full schools as it is

Like that is beyond a joke. You would think there is some sort of analysis exercise or due diligence done on the actual locations. Seems some civil servant receives the application and just makes a snap decision. No wonder our social systems are in the ****e. Useless suits in the shadow government (civil servants) are the people that really run the place.

We would take in many people proven to be in dire straits, in other words genuine.

I doubt the myriad who have somehow landed here are actually that. Therein lies the issue.

We know we are being scammed by certain nationalities, have been for donkeys years now, but that is the fault of the system imo.

And now we have so many more. Albanians? WTF Is there a war on there or something, same with Georgians and so on.

Anyway, I really hope the INIS are on to this. We need to know that our borders are NOT so permeable anymore.

Having said that, as in my previous post, I think there may be some pressure on us to just take them in, in return for something or other from EU and UN.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Doblin wrote: »
    The people from oughterard who are complaining about getting a direct provision center are coming across very bad, Their excuses on prime time last night were very incoherent. I can understand people in remote parts of Donegal because that's the middle of nowhere but oughterard is like 20 minutes from Galway city, there are lots of busses during the day to to the city. What's their problem like?

Ever listen to the traffic news in the morning ?
    Nothing is 20 minutes in Galway anymore.

Ehh and what's your problem ?
    Why not start a campaign to have them dumped near you if you are so concerned ?
    To be fair, W. It’s not always an “easy route” for these people. The men go first to see if it’s safe and then send for the family.

There is a word for what you are spouting.
    Oh yeah now I remember, it's BULLSHYTE.

While the men are wandering to the Med, getting a lift out to sea to be picked up by the gullible and virtue signaling, then sitting in asylum centre in Europe, what at their female relatives and children doing in all these awful war zones they are fleeing ?

It must be the only time in history where the refugees/asylum seekers are the young men and not the weak, the young, the old and most especially the females. :rolleyes:

What are the chances of two hotel fires in Oughterard in the one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

No consultation with locals.
    No consultation with the migrants.

No assessment if the locality can cope.
    No assessment of medical and school capacity.

Basically dumping 250 people on a community with little or no help.

And then calling them racist if they don't comply.

Consulted about bloody well what.

Yes, most are out and out Racists. It seems now calling racist bigotted "Racists" is all of a sudden wrong. How warped is that.

How come all the locals were rolling out red carpets for the hundreds who would have landed should Apple have decided to set up shop.

Italy seems to have fobbed off this shyte of migrants on boats. Good for them, they really did have to take a lot of boat people in over time. All men escaping, and women and children left behind. Honestly.

Why do we accept them via flights given the Dublin Agreement. I doubt that agreement has been adhered to forever. It is not worth the paper it is written on now anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

padd b1975 wrote: »
    That dangerous little twerp from PBP Joe Loughnane is all over this of course.

He was on The Last Word earlier lapping up his few minutes of fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Chinasea wrote: »
    .How come all the locals were rolling out red carpets for the hundreds who would have landed should Apple have decided to set up shop.

Firstly it's a data centre so once it would have been built it wouldn't require a large workforce ans secondly the people there would be a benefit to the community unlike the chancers they want to dump in oughterard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Chinasea wrote: »
    No consultation with locals.
    No consultation with the migrants.

No assessment if the locality can cope.
    No assessment of medical and school capacity.

Basically dumping 250 people on a community with little or no help.

And then calling them racist if they don't comply.

Consulted about bloody well what.

Yes, most are out and out Racists. It seems now calling racist bigotted "Racists" is all of a sudden wrong. How warped is that.

How come all the locals were rolling out red carpets for the hundreds who would have landed should Apple have decided to set up shop.

You are wrong, these people aren't racists and it's statements like that that are the problem.

No debate, no discussion just name calling

• Advertisement

You are wrong, these people aren't racists and it's statements like that that are the problem.

No debate, no discussion just name calling

The big issue is that these people are being parachuted in to small communities with no prior consultation. Who are they, what law says they should be here etc.?

But the powers that be know that prior consultation is not going to work anyway.

So here we are.

As long as these people are UN vetted from War zones, I would have no issue. But are they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement