Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Slydice wrote: »
    I'm currently wondering if these 6 episode tv shows aren't just 2-parter movies in disguise!

but to change the Cinema-going universe from a limited access streaming service doesn't seem like the sensible approach the MCU has taken to date.

It shouldn't be very limited access by the time these shows roll out, for most only by whether you'll pay for the service.

What happens in the shows will definitely change characters that appear in the movies and move along their overall story and the wider MCU. If you don't pay or steal it you'll have to take accept line or two filler they provide for where the characters now are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Slydice wrote: »
    I'm currently wondering if these 6 episode tv shows aren't just 2-parter movies in disguise!

but to change the Cinema-going universe from a limited access streaming service doesn't seem like the sensible approach the MCU has taken to date.

If anything, I’d say they’re big juicy hooks to get you to click on that +sub button.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It'll be very hard to use full MCU characters and NOT impact the film universe. Given that Disney+ is far from a global service, especially for that first year after launch, it'll be an interesting gamble. Maybe Disney are hoping for a surge in torrenting, and won't be as aggressively against it as I'd have otherwise suspected.

Yep, Another thing that I’m certain of is that between these and Star Wars, they’re gonna be the most pirated shows in history:D

pixelburp wrote: »
    It'll be very hard to use full MCU characters and NOT impact the film universe. Given that Disney+ is far from a global service, especially for that first year after launch, it'll be an interesting gamble. Maybe Disney are hoping for a surge in torrenting, and won't be as aggressively against it as I'd have otherwise suspected.

First MCU Disney+ show isn't due until towards the end of 2020 and by that time Disney+ will be available in most places.

With the recent dumps of info it may appear like we'll be underwater in the next few months with the amount of releases but they're really spread over a pretty decent period of time.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    First MCU Disney+ show isn't due until towards the end of 2020 and by that time Disney+ will be available in most places.

With the recent dumps of info it may appear like we'll be underwater in the next few months with the amount of releases but they're really spread over a pretty decent period of time.

Ha.
    2021 will consist 3 feature length movies, 18 hours of big budget essential “TV” MCU viewing on + (Loki, WV & Cap/WS). Then throw in 23 episodes of What If...

That’s not including any Hulu, Freeform, or ABC shows that could potentially air.

I’d call that pretty congested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Worth pointing out mind, that at least one MCU project got shelved that we know of (the proposed Inhumans movie, downgraded to that awful TV mini series), while Disney have already canceled a Disney+ series; "Book of Enchantment" was deemed too dark by execs on reviewing the scripts produced & got canned instead of a rewrite.

Disney+, despite the deep coffers and solid brands, is not guaranteed a success and without knowing the desired subscriber target, I'd say every show announcement should be considered tentative. Online streaming is a viral beast and when you look at Netflix the margins are razor thin; it's arguably more cutthroat than traditional network TV.

Between the MCU and Star Wars, they're two franchises that have never lived on mainstream TV (of course there have been a metric tonne of cartoons, but fair to say that's been kids TV, while the Netflix subfranchise yiwlded mixed results)

kerplun k wrote: »
    Ha.
    2021 will consist 3 feature length movies, 18 hours of big budget essential “TV” MCU viewing on + (Loki, WV & Cap/WS). Then throw in 23 episodes of What If...

That’s not including any Hulu, Freeform, or ABC shows that could potentially air.

I’d call that pretty congested.

I specifically said it won't be an issue in the next few months, so I'm not sure why you're pointing to 2021. In both 2019 and 2020 we're having 1 less MCU movie than we've become used to over the last several years and only 1 new show in total, that is 6 episodes long.

Even at the peak you're pointing to, it is the same number of movies as we are used to plus TV that is about equivalent to the screentime of the early AoS seasons, just now across a few Disney+ shows (presuming What if episodes are shorter). At this point, I've no interest in Hulu/Freeform/ABC output but if you must watch everything Marvel related we're losing all the Netflix shows (6 of them) and AoS, which again evens things out.

On a bulk announement basis it seems like a whole lot but, based on what has been announced, it is actually less content in the short term and about the same in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For that poster, I wonder if they gave her the comic costume just as a reference to the comics, or if they're actually going to use it

Probably a nod to the comics; it'd take some doing to make the 'traditional' comics costume work in live-action, it's one of the dafter arrangements (maybe if there's some 'reality warping' segments they might have her wearing the traditional costume in a nod)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

CastorTroy wrote: »
    For that poster, I wonder if they gave her the comic costume just as a reference to the comics, or if they're actually going to use it

What poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

pixelburp wrote: »
    Worth pointing out mind, that at least one MCU project got shelved that we know of (the proposed Inhumans movie, downgraded to that awful TV mini series), while Disney have already canceled a Disney+ series; "Book of Enchantment" was deemed too dark by execs on reviewing the scripts produced & got canned instead of a rewrite.

Disney+, despite the deep coffers and solid brands, is not guaranteed a success and without knowing the desired subscriber target, I'd say every show announcement should be considered tentative. Online streaming is a viral beast and when you look at Netflix the margins are razor thin; it's arguably more cutthroat than traditional network TV.

Between the MCU and Star Wars, they're two franchises that have never lived on mainstream TV (of course there have been a metric tonne of cartoons, but fair to say that's been kids TV, while the Netflix subfranchise yiwlded mixed results)

Shelving the show seems a bit extreme.

Why wouldn’t they order rewrites?

And how dark could it possibly have got? Bad things happen in the MCU and Star Wars so I would have thought the writers would know how far is too sat for Disney

What poster?
    wandavison-poster-907x680.jpg

The shadow seems to have the headpiece from her comic costume

Shelving the show seems a bit extreme.

Why wouldn’t they order rewrites?

And how dark could it possibly have got? Bad things happen in the MCU and Star Wars so I would have thought the writers would know how far is too sat for Disney

This is the price paid for working with Disney properties, and reveals that their executives are quite close to productions on this new network - or at least those productions that touch IPs considered most 'fragile'. SW & the MCU are probably allowed a little latitude as their very being is about conflict and drama; but I'd say a show that dicked around too much with classic villains probably got executives nervy.

This is how Disney roll though, and what is to be expected: Disney+ looks deeply "family friendly" and obviously has more executive oversight than other services; shows such as The Mandalorian appear to be allowed a certain degree of wriggle room to darken its tone, but that's probably because it's well established that making SW kid-friendly is usually a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Perhaps Disney/Marvel could finally make that series that painstakingly explains the ins and outs of 'the snap' in great detail? I know there's an appetite for it from 2 posters on here.

Don't have a Disney + thread yet, but will post here that I just read they'll be airing their series weekly rather than going the Netflix route of dropping all episodes at once

Don't have a Disney + thread yet, but will post here that I just read they'll be airing their series weekly rather than going the Netflix route of dropping all episodes at once

Aside from Netflix, streaming companies are moving away from the model of dumping all episodes at once. Hulu, Amazon, CBS all do most of their big releases on a weekly basis. Better for them in both extending the length of time people are signed up but also to build hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Aside from Netflix, streaming companies are moving away from the model of dumping all episodes at once. Hulu, Amazon, CBS all do most of their big releases on a weekly basis. Better for them in both extending the length of time people are signed up but also to build hype.

If that's the case then the quality of the story, talent at the disposal, budget, and most of all depth of the content would want to be serious. Only reason I signed up for Netflix and Amazon was the quick release of content.

If that's the case then the quality of the story, talent at the disposal, budget, and most of all depth of the content would want to be serious. Only reason I signed up for Netflix and Amazon was the quick release of content.

If you want to binge then just wait until they're all released and watch them in one go, problem solved ;)

You can't really compare the Netflix model for new show releases to any other streaming platform, it is why they're basically an outlier at this point.

I’m torn on which is best, While I enjoy having a ton of episodes to binge, you can’t beat the old way of releasing a weekly episode, especially for for quality shows, like Lost, X-Files, breaking bad, GoT in its hayday. It gives you a chance to actually digest and talk about each episodes. With the binge format, the talk around a good show can be over too quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

kerplun k wrote: »
    I’m torn on which is best, While I enjoy having a ton of episodes to binge, you can’t beat the old way of releasing a weekly episode, especially for for quality shows, like Lost, X-Files, breaking bad, GoT in its hayday. It gives you a chance to actually digest and talk about each episodes. With the binge format, the talk around a good show can be over too quickly.

I think if the quality is there then how it's released doesn't matter.

The thing I like about the binge format is that it cuts off the balls of bad analysis from click sites. It also saves a lot of time in establishing something is an utter waste of time i.e Luke Cage season 2 and 13 reasons why season 3.

That's the thing about streaming services; they give you the option for better or worse.

Hulu seems confused about how to do it. Weekly shows like Castle Rock while Veronica Mars was all at once. Then Runaways had season 1 weekly and 2 all at once.

One thing about weekly shows it acts as a weekly reminder the show exists. When they drop all at once, that's the window for letting people know about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Hulu seems confused about how to do it. Weekly shows like Castle Rock while Veronica Mars was all at once. Then Runaways had season 1 weekly and 2 all at once.

One thing about weekly shows it acts as a weekly reminder the show exists. When they drop all at once, that's the window for letting people know about it

It really depends on the show in question. The like of "The Boys" or "Stranger Things" would do just as well in a weekly format.

A full season drop on the other hand, benefits much weaker shows such as the likes of "Wu Assassins" and "Swampthing", which would lose viewership overall if people had to wait for the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Venom wrote: »
    It really depends on the show in question. The like of "The Boys" or "Stranger Things" would do just as well in a weekly format.

A full season drop on the other hand, benefits much weaker shows such as the likes of "Wu Assassins" and "Swampthing", which would lose viewership overall if people had to wait for the next episode.

Swamp Thing was a weekly drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Swamp Thing was a weekly drop.

It was and I know a lot of people, myself included who were very vocal about it after the first few episodes but stopped watching halfway through due to a massive drop in story quality. A weaker show like Swampthing might have done better as an instant drop binge show.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Haille Steinfeld in talks to take up the mantle of Hawkeye in the TV series.

I wonder will this lead to a Young Avengers series.

Well we'll have Kate Bishop and Cassie Lang in the universe. So would need to introduce a few more

I doubt they go full Young Avengers if they're doing school age x-men. I'd say they'd more likely use them as an avenue for a cross-over between the x-men and the older avengers group.

Then they also have Runaways and even New Warriors somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

You also have to remember that many so-called Netlix Exclusives are exclusives outside of their home country. So they are basicaly traditional TV shows that Netflix have bought: BBC's Bodyguard was a "Netflix Exclusive" in the US so that was put up the day after each episode aired in the UK. Same with Star Trek Discovery: CBS were showing it weekly on their own streaming platform and then Netflix had the international rights.

Advertisement