Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well the obvious first question is: what creative differences have they fallen out over? Kevin Feige had been talking up this sequel as having lots of horror tropes and focus, so maybe something to do with the tone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well the obvious first question is: what creative differences have they fallen out over?

Sounds like Derrickson had the absolute cheek to want to make the film he wanted to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was really looking forward to the horror elements but I imagine Disney were trying to stomp all over that.

Sounds like Derrickson had the absolute cheek to want to make the film he wanted to make.

Then don't attempt to go into an established franchise, with a very even tone across all films, and expect to do so.

There is a set structure to the films and they might (unlikely but just might) take a gamble with new character but not with an established, and now core, character.

Disney have been burned with Last Jedi, not risking MCU

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I was really looking forward to the horror elements but I imagine Disney were trying to stomp all over that.

Could have been the opposite though: Feige might have been over-eager for this "horror" flavoured sequel they've been trumpeting, with Derrickson unable / unwilling to match the expectations or deliver the required tropes Disney sought.

Obviously speculation either way, but my money's on just how "horror" everyone was either expecting or wanting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Wasn't it Feige and Marvel who announced it being more horror inflected though? I suspect it's more to do with story, Derrickson has been tweeting not so subtle hints that he's not been happy with the script and what with this film bring pivotal in setting up the new phase and tieing into other projects it might be the case that he's just not getting to tell the story he wants to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The Russos got a better performance out of Cumberbatch than Derrickson did so it might be a good thing.

But probably not. The phenomenon that was the last two Avengers films skew matters but there's a distinct line of average films in the MCU. This will probably end up the same way.

Dr. Strange was one of the lesser MCU films for me, if not one of the worst, so can't say the loss of Derrickson cuts particularly deep. Presumably though it means his replacement will have less time & will come onboard with the understanding to mould the film along Feige's dictats. I'm fascinated now who they'll get in to hit that May 2021 release date.

Avengers has set the bar particularly high, and while Far From Home pulled in crazy money, I wonder how much of that was it basking in the post-Avengers glow. To be fair, a lot of these low-tier MCU films do well and presumably without high expectations compared to the team-up films; the first Dr. Strange made $680 million worldwide on a $165 million budget - not bad going for one of Marvel's interstitials.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Dr. Strange was one of the lesser MCU films for me, if not one of the worst

Agree 100%

The only Marvel film i've seen in the cinema where I just wanted to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

El Duda wrote: »
    Agree 100%

The only Marvel film i've seen in the cinema where I just wanted to leave.

Agree as well, this is not a big loss for me either. I'm generally not a huge fan of extreme weird dream/madness sequences in movies or shows so I'm still hoping that this movie doesn't end up going too far down that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

I hope they bring in Peyton Reed to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Staying on as EP to get the Marvel money anyway so I don't feel to bad for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I would say that's fair enough; he's likely invested a lot of time in the film.

So ehhh, Morbius. Is he part of the MCU now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Seems so.

Sony bound to be getting something more than just the exposure from Spider man being in the MCU when they've handed over a 25% stake in their own movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

kerplun k wrote: »
    So ehhh, Morbius. Is he part of the MCU now? :D

I think the best way to look at it is it is connected to the solo Spiderman story but disconnected from the MCU aspects of Spiderman.

I think the best way to look at it is it is connected to the solo Spiderman story but disconnected from the MCU aspects of Spiderman.

I don't think that is accurate either. It seems like they can reference other things within the MCU. I'm sure Marvel are likely allowed to do similar but will choose not to unless something crazy happens

• Registered Users Posts: 23,343 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This Vulture himself is directly motivated by Stark's actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

pjohnson wrote: »
    This Vulture himself is directly motivated by Stark's actions.

That's true. I suppose the problem is that Homecoming and Far From Home are so much involved in the MCU it would be hard to separate it out.

I was pleasantly surprised with Keatons appearance in the trailer tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe their way of introducing Blade... I'm totally ready for an 18+ MCU! Deadpool, Blade, Daredevil if they wanted. It's the 1 thing I miss from the other MCU shows, and that's the reaslism and violence that all this would cause, like The Boys.

Patrick Stewart said he said down with Feige.
    “I met with Kevin Feige a couple of months ago and we had long, long conversations. And there have been moves and suggestions, which include Charles Xavier. Here’s the problem… If we had not made Logan, then yes, I would probably be ready to get into that wheelchair one more time and be Charles Xavier. But Logan changed all that.”

https://nerdist.com/article/patrick-stewart-declined-mcu-return-professor-x/?fbclid=IwAR2prD9fhumguLz8ndHNDQ8qsh30TjswhqXUTMOCYuDHpmwEIvtsf9qdqkY

That's understandable. But still would like to see him in the MCU, even in another role, he's a great actor!

‘Captain Marvel’ Sequel Officially In Development At Disney’s Marvel Studios
    The most powerful superhero in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is officially ramping up for her big-screen encore. Disney’s Marvel Studios has officially begun production on the sequel to Captain Marvel (2019), the billion-dollar hit that energized and expanded the hitmaker studio’s young female constituency.

Brie Larson will return as the intrepid Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel, a former military pilot who taps into cosmic energies that make her a powerhouse champion for Earth when interplanetary dangers threaten the fragile globe. Larson’s no-nonsense hero also packed a wallop at the box office, with $1.13 billion in global box office.

A Marvel source says that Megan McDonnell, part of the writing team for the upcoming Disney+ MCU series WandaVision, is in advanced negotiations to chart the course for Captain Marvel’s second cinematic solo flight. The original film was the 22nd Marvel Studios film, but the first with a female hero as the lead title character.

The directing tandem of Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck directed the origin story of the first film (which co-starred Samuel L. Jackson) working off of a screenplay they wrote with Geneva Robertson-Dworet. The story credit for the first film was shared by the same trio as well as Nicole Perlman and Meg LeFauve.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/captain-marvel-sequel-officially-in-development-at-disneys-marvel-studios-1202838665/

Long will the MCU machine purr, what with total box office profits of 17.78 billion since The Incredible Hulk!

Was a Captain Marvel sequel ever in any doubt?

Hopefully they'll remember to actually write a story worth a damn this time; amid the general high fiving over the cultural significance, I thought the first film was one of the worst MCU films put to a script. Terrible, flat material that went nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,343 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Was a Captain Marvel sequel ever in any doubt?

Hopefully they'll remember to actually write a story worth a damn this time; amid the general high fiving over the cultural significance, I thought the first film was one of the worst MCU films put to a script. Terrible, flat material that went nowhere.

Larsen herself was remarkably flat imo.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Larsen herself was remarkably flat imo.

From other movies is there any evidence that Larsen can do one liners? I think she's a great actress but the comedy elements didn't suit her at all in either the first movie nor Endgame. I get why they don't want the main female character in MCU to be extremely serious when you have so many male characters cracking jokes, but I think they may have casted poorly if they want to go that direction.

Yeah it's possibly that, there was an element of the Poochie off Marvel though; the new cool character to shake up the MCU, but Larsen's delivery always fell very flat. I don't like to focus on the actors as people, trying to stick with the performances instead, but Larsen strikes as someone who takes herself too seriously - maybe she just doesn't "get" comedy. The script didn't help either, a SciFi Jason Bourne story that forgot to actually have any quantifiable difference between the "before" and "after" characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The first thing I saw Larson in was Community, she did a couple of episodes as Abed's love interest and she was quite good. I think in CM she's playing a character who has her sense of identity shattered and essentially has to find herself again, giving her benefit of the don't because I love her "Hey Peter Parker" in Endgame which I know she filmed before CM.

Advertisement