Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gin Gin Gin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

oneilla wrote: »
    Tesco Finest London Dry/Aromatic were my go-to and were priced at €22 but they seem to be discontinued. Beefeater is €21 in Dunnes atm and is good. Gordans can be cheap but not so good and Cork dry is bottom of the barrel.

I think Boyle’s in Aldi is still good value at €25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

nialldinho wrote: »
    I think Boyle’s in Aldi is still good value at €25

^^This.

This is probably the best gin you can get for this price.

Im fond of Bombay Sapphire too but you dont often get it for 25 quid.

Dingle gin is on special in Tesco for 30 euro at the moment which is a fantastic price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

....... wrote: »
    ^^This.

This is probably the best gin you can get for this price.

Im fond of Bombay Sapphire too but you dont often get it for 25 quid.

Dingle gin is on special in Tesco for 30 euro at the moment which is a fantastic price for it.

Personally think dinle is very bland!! Looking to add a basic gin

Roku is my premium choice at the min

gypsy79 wrote: »

And I am replacing a Bombay sapphire

Where are you buying Roku and at what price?

• Advertisement

Where are you buying Roku and at what price?

I bought it duty free in Morocco for circa 30 bills

But available in o Brien’s for 45. Love it. So many subtle flavours

I bought it duty free in Morocco for circa 30 bills

But available in o Brien’s for 45. Love it. So many subtle flavours

Cheers.

I buy it in Sainsburys in NI for 25 pounds sterling a bottle. I like it.

I like Martin Miller too but if you think Dingle is bland you might think its tasteless. I like that its nice and crisp.

If youre looking for a nice budget gin in NI, Drury is a pretty good all rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

This must be part of the same push that led them to get rid of the Tesco Finest Sloe Gin.

Ive emailed them a few times about it (yes they think I am an alco now) but no one ever responds with any knowledge and in fact one person told them they had never sold it in Ireland (despite me drinking my body weight in it one Xmas).

I will check out Limehouse gin to see if there is a sloe version.

+1 I had customer service at Christmas doubting it had ever existed, I assured them it did exist and was still listed in the UK, I am still awaiting a response!

On another note, Beara gin is very good.

Also I’ve been buying quite a lot of tanqueray no 10 as it’s only €35 in Supervalu at the moment, a nice strong gin which I think is decent value at the price.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    +1 I had customer service at Christmas doubting it had ever existed, I assured them it did exist and was still listed in the UK, I am still awaiting a response!

I got yet another clueless response to my email yesterday telling me that they had no records of it at all.

I asked to be put in contact with whoever manages or is responsible for the product in Ireland as its been a year now where I have been given factually incorrect information every time I make an enquiry.

No response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I saw something I thought I'd never see,

non alcoholic gin

On sale in Tesco it costs €25 or so.

I'm still in shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

imme wrote: »

non alcoholic gin

I'm still in shock.

I was offered non alcoholic gin in a restaurant recently, I didn’t try it though, I don’t really see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

non alcoholic gin

I'm still in shock.

Was it that Seedlip stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Aldi’s Cromwell not sold here anymore??

Yeah they stopped selling their Hitler’s Gin in Israel too. No idea why mate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any recommendations for a good cheap gin. Aldi’s Cromwell not sold here anymore??

It was never called Cromwell here ("Old Hopkings" I think) and they appear to have replaced it with an Irish one.

Lidl's Castlegy is fine and is sold below cost for some reason - they are paying more in tax alone than the bottle is sold for. Its not earth shattering but its far from gut rot and I'd have it over Cork anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I got a bottle of the Blackwater Distillery Tanora gin yesterday from my sister. Lovely orangey smell, but it got a bit lost with the standard Schweppes tonic (was all we had). Looking forward to trying it with some different tonics. I saw ginger suggested as a mixer on their Insta.

L1011 wrote: »
    It was never called Cromwell here ("Old Hopkings" I think) and they appear to have replaced it with an Irish one.

Lidl's Castlegy is fine and is sold below cost for some reason - they are paying more in tax alone than the bottle is sold for. Its not earth shattering but its far from gut rot and I'd have it over Cork anyday.

I gave castelgys a go. I am looking for something to use in cocktails.

Hate using good stuff for cocktails

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bought a bottle of Beefeater Blood Orange as I had money left from a Dunnes gift card for doing market research + a shop and save voucher.

It's too Blood Orangey. I've it with a massive amount of tonic and ice and it still tastes more of orange than I'd expect. Now, its still nice, but its basically a 37.5% ABV blood orange soft drink

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bought a bottle of Beefeater Blood Orange as I had money left from a Dunnes gift card for doing market research + a shop and save voucher.

It's too Blood Orangey. I've it with a massive amount of tonic and ice and it still tastes more of orange than I'd expect. Now, its still nice, but its basically a 37.5% ABV blood orange soft drink

Most likely full of sugar and/or sweetener, too.
    Most of the flavoured gins are and, by my reckoning, are mislabelled as gin.

Alcopops for adults who would never dare drink an alcopop; basically.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

ABFI and FSAI are working on gin labeling guidelines at the moment covering both the legal definitions of gin and geographical indications, I wonder if whatever comes if it will affect any Irish products.

Beefeater London is the brand name and the original product states that it is a London Dry style, the Blood orange does not. But London is there on the bottle as part of the brand name, I suppose that could lead to confusion on the style of gin.

• Advertisement

Twee. wrote: »
    ABFI and FSAI are working on gin labeling guidelines at the moment covering both the legal definitions of gin and geographical indications, I wonder if whatever comes if it will affect any Irish products.

There are so many mislabelled gins on the market (Irish ones too).
    There are compounded gins labelled as distilled gin.
    There are gin liqueurs, labelled a gin.
    There's even a gin compounded in Tipperary marketing itself as a Waterford gin.

Then we have products trading a "Spiced Rum" , which is not valid. Once you add anything other than water to rum, it is no longer rum - according to EU regs.
    Eg. Captain Morgan's is no longer labelled as "Rum", spiced or otherwise.

There's been talk of tidying up labelling in Ireland for years but the fact is that unless it's whiskey, in Ireland, no one cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I dont mind a flavoured "gin"
    I bought the below and it is lovely.
    But is clearly labelled as a liquer
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OA6JDBM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    From edinburgh gin distillery

Twee. wrote: »

Beefeater London is the brand name and the original product states that it is a London Dry style, the Blood orange does not. But London is there on the bottle as part of the brand name, I suppose that could lead to confusion on the style of gin.

Any gin that has been flavoured or coloured post distillation, cannot be called London Dry Gin. No issue there with any producers afaik.
    My issue is withe the addition of sugar and then calling the product "Gin".

gmisk wrote: »
    I dont mind a flavoured "gin"
    I bought the below and it is lovely.
    But is clearly labelled as a liquer
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OA6JDBM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    From edinburgh gin distillery

Well, that's only 20% abv so they would never get away with calling it a gin (37.5 abv minimum). That is correctly labelled.
    "Edinburgh Gin" is the brand.
    Labelling can get confusing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Any gin that has been flavoured or coloured post distillation, cannot be called London Dry Gin. No issue there with any producers afaik.

I know that, my point was that having Beefeater London as the brand name may be confusing on their non London dry products as consumers may assume it's linked to the style of gin. But maybe not at all, just a shower-thought/thinking out loud!

EDIT: As you stated above, labeling can really be confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Am based in London and am a big fan of London #3. Not sure if you can get it in Ireland, but it's £35 at Waitrose, 46% proof. Seems a waste to dilute it with tonic. Only mentioned it as haven't seen it mentioned in the first 20 pages of this thread..!

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/no.3-london-dry-gin/398823-136771-136772?tsrc=vdna&gclid=CP-4vb37ueQCFZaShQodYfsIaw&gclsrc=ds

rgmmg wrote: »
    Am based in London and am a big fan of London #3. Not sure if you can get it in Ireland, but it's £35 at Waitrose, 46% proof. Seems a waste to dilute it with tonic. Only mentioned it as haven't seen it mentioned in the first 20 pages of this thread..!

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/no.3-london-dry-gin/398823-136771-136772?tsrc=vdna&gclid=CP-4vb37ueQCFZaShQodYfsIaw&gclsrc=ds

Yeah the Waitrose in Mary Street in Dublin doesn't seem to stock it for some reason.

Yeah the Waitrose in Mary Street in Dublin doesn't seem to stock it for some reason.

Probably because it's a Marks and Spencers!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What’s the opinion on the method & madness gin, was able to pick up a bottle at the airport for €37, €50 elsewhere?

• Advertisement

Probably because it's a Marks and Spencers!

I was being facetious!

Advertisement