Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Where's the best Mexican food in Dublin?

So I can go there next time I'm back, and arrogantly proclaim that it's not real Mexican food.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Where's the best Mexican food in Dublin?

So I can go there next time I'm back, and arrogantly proclaim that it's not real Mexican food.

Masa

Masa

Just looked at their site - looks pretty good actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Masa

Looks a bit hipstery. Food actually that good?

(Speaking of looking hipstery but actually being really good, Hang Dai , Chinese place, was excellent food wise, and very reasonable price wise. Camden St, very unassuming outside. Well worth a visit.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Masa is from the people behind Bunsen. If you want Tacos it is comfortably the best in Dublin. Decent value, I think about 5:20 gets you two tacos. I eat between 4 and 6 depending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Berlin for me. €6 for a crunchy flavoursome kebab.

Where is Berlin? Is that the bar on Dame Street?

Iskanders is probably the best in town IMO.

Looks a bit hipstery. Food actually that good?

(Speaking of looking hipstery but actually being really good, Hang Dai , Chinese place, was excellent food wise, and very reasonable price wise. Camden St, very unassuming outside. Well worth a visit.)

Yeah its decent. Closest thing to actual mexican tacos I could find in dublin. It's reasonably cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

stephen_n wrote: »
    Where is Berlin? Is that the bar on Dame Street?

Iskanders is probably the best in town IMO.

Berlin, Germany. Tried two different places there. Delish.

The Brits are a grand bunch but they've completely lost it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Much and all as I love discussing Brexit, and yes Britain is fast becoming a failed state, NO POLITICS, so there we will leave it. Politics forum is here.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Much and all as I love discussing Brexit, and yes Britain is fast becoming a failed state, NO POLITICS, so there we will leave it. Politics forum is here.

That forum is for crazy people, not like this bastion of peace, wit and normality. And excellent moderation.

Is an off topic politics thread a non runner? Awec said he'd be happy to moderate it. At least I think it was Awec, could have been someone else.

Probably awec tho.

That forum is for crazy people, not like this bastion of peace, wit and normality. And excellent moderation.

Is an off topic politics thread a non runner? Awec said he'd be happy to moderate it. At least I think it was Awec, could have been someone else.

Probably awec tho.

Awec loves politics, so yeah, probably him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Zzippy wrote: »
    Awec loves politics, so yeah, probably him.

So it's a go?

Stheno wrote: »
    So it's a go?

Have you not had enough of politics? :p

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm not allowed talk about politics. But having lived in a fair few countries, I have developed some opinions on.... eh.... people buying fruit.

Seems that in Ireland there is a tendency to prioritise fruit that has been grown locally, and on occasion, they buy dodgy, unripe fruit that stokes antipathy toward centralised fruit distributors in Dublin to perhaps mask their shortcomings.

It's completely fine to point out that this is prevalent in Ireland, but it's not necessarily bad fruit buying practice. I would not like to live in a first-piece-of-fruit-past-the-post system like in the UK, where pieces of fruit get tactically assigned to your constituenc... I mean... local shop, and depending on your fruit affiliation, and the area you live, you could spend your entire life never buying the fruit you like (pm me if this metaphor doesn't make sense).

Imagine how dissatisfied you would feel, if you had such little say in your fruit buying. It would likely skew your thinking if you were ever given a say in a major national fruit decision, with far more drastic consequences, like banning European fruit or something.

What I think is most lacking from Irish fruit-sellers is a culture of resigning when appropriate; it's unlikely the lady who fell off the swing would be manning her stall for much longer were she a vendor in a London market.

And I note also that countries with dodgy fruit seem to all have a strong Catholic presence in common, which is probably not a coincidence. You don't need communion bread if you have plenty of fresh fruit available.

In summary, fruit is complicated.

Had to go searching for this post again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Part of me doesn't want a dedicated thread so people are forced into writing absolute gems like the above but, on the other hand, I would be nice to discuss politics/fruit with people that aren't raving nut jobs from one end or the other.

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It'd need a fruity but not fruity name that stopped it attracting attention from other fruit sellers who wanted to discuss the sale of fruit everywhere and were attracted by this rugby specific fruit market.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

errlloyd wrote: »
    It'd need a fruity but not fruity name that stopped it attracting attention from other fruit sellers who wanted to discuss the sale of fruit everywhere and were attracted by this rugby specific fruit market.

We could do with a tomato based title seeing as its fruit related in a rugby forum....

Had to delve in to vegetables a bit but ... Prunes Oranges Lemons Iceberg lettuce Tomatoes Incaberries Cherries Starfruit

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

DGRulz wrote: »
    Part of me doesn't want a dedicated thread so people are forced into writing absolute gems like the above but, on the other hand, I would be nice to discuss politics/fruit with people that aren't raving nut jobs from one end or the other.

Problem is they'd soon find their way to the thread though, just look at what happens during international windows etc.

I'd give it about a week before it was overran by the creatures that lurk in AH and the Politics forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Iceberg lettuce... Lol.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Problem is they'd soon find their way to the thread though, just look at what happens during international windows etc.

I'd give it about a week before it was overran by the creatures that lurk in AH and the Politics forums.

Creatures???

Just keep using fruit metaphors and their primitive brains will just think we're all gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If we have a political thread, I want a John Hayes thread.

It's what the fans want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

If we have a political thread, I want a John Hayes thread.

It's what the fans want.

So you want a turnip thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    So you want a turnip thread?

We already have the Munster thread for those kind of people.....

DGRulz wrote: »
    Had to delve in to vegetables a bit but ... Prunes Oranges Lemons Iceberg lettuce Tomatoes Incaberries Cherries Starfruit

My favourite thing about this post, is that I thought Iceberg lettuce was a weak entry so went to find a better option, only to arrive at the same link that clearly gave you iceberg lettuce.

http://www.greatgrubclub.com/a-z-fruit-veg#I

Iceplant would be an alternative should a thread using this information happen to appear on the forum...!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Berlin, Germany. Tried two different places there. Delish.

Well what use is that :mad: hardly going to hop on a plane for a kebab next time I have a few pints.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Well what use is that :mad: hardly going to hop on a plane for a kebab next time I have a few pints.

Depends just how many pints "a few" is.

• Advertisement

So ... It's been 31 hours since the topic was raised and no mod had said no ... is that a yes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement