Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Buzz..........coming to a city near you soon.
    Perhaps but for me unlikely...Laudamotion in DACH and Ryanair in British Isles for commuting between cities. I'm not one of for conventional Sun Holiday destinations as my skin doesn't take a colour what with living in my mother's basement and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

rivegauche wrote: »
    I'm not one of for conventional Sun Holiday destinations as my skin doesn't take a colour what with living in my mother's basement and all.

Yeah, probably best so. :D

A couple of months ago I flew with Ryanair to Riga, and I was really impressed with their operation there. It’s a very pleasant airport, and on returning there was a delay of just over an hour. They kept us well briefed, it was simply due to insufficient aircraft available for the operations. No doubt due to the Max8 fiasco. When it came to boarding they called all priority first, and did not call anyone else until priority passengers were on the stairs up to the aircraft. So, if you are traveling with them to Latvia, then it is worth paying for priority if you are so inclined.

Landing at Dublin the pilot told us that there would be a delay to get to a parking space as nobody seems to be working in the airport. His tone was really cynical. As he said he was well on time waiting to pick up the aircraft in the first place, and now that we had arrived late, we were going to be even later. When we did get parking a full half hour after taxiing in, we had a further half hour wait for luggage, not to mention the 40 minute wait for a taxi in the early hours. One very drunk skanger off another Ryanair flight was furious after his luggage failed to arrive sand was cursing the staff, eventually accompanied away by airport police. Thankfully the Riga flights had very well behaved passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Very informed and interesting piece from Phoenix magazine about O'Leary's suitability as CEO of Ryanair.
    Worth taking the time to read.
    (Apologies for the quality of the photo.)

Yeah, it's clear there's really only one job loss required at Ryanair if customer confidence is to be restored...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

High utilization is not one in the same with profit maximisation. Ryanair will always endeavour to operate planes for in excess of 14 to 16 hours in a day but they'd prefer to be doing that with passengers paying higher fares than selling off their seats at €9.99. This change is expected to improve their profitability.

Since when have fares to canary islands been 9.99. Holiday flights make much more money from bags, seat reservations and on board sales and that is what they are all about. You have dodged my response why they opened the base in the first place. Why now after 8 years has the base closed at the same time as unions have come along 1 +1 =2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I never understand why Ryanair takes the militant route when dealing with its staff. So they are closing bases sure but is the overall capacity of Ryanair reducing? No it isn't. These aircraft are being relocated and capacity this winter will be flat to slightly up despite no max in the fleet. So why is their first reaction to seek to sack their staff? Surely they can offer relocation to other bases or at the very least put them on furlough until the max arrives? Am I looking at this too simply? Other companies dont have these problems and operate just fine.

Also over on LinkedIn you'll see Ryanair managers recruiting pilots and over on facebook Atlantic flight academy are enrolling for the 2020 Ryanair mentored pilot training programme. It simply doesn't make sense.

Is it not illegal to sack staff while at the same time hiring them?

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I never understand why Ryanair takes the militant route when dealing with its staff. So they are closing bases sure but is the overall capacity of Ryanair reducing? No it isn't. These aircraft are being relocated and capacity this winter will be flat to slightly up despite no max in the fleet. So why is their first reaction to seek to sack their staff? Surely they can offer relocation to other bases or at the very least put them on furlough until the max arrives? Am I looking at this too simply? Other companies dont have these problems and operate just fine.

Also over on LinkedIn you'll see Ryanair managers recruiting pilots and over on facebook Atlantic flight academy are enrolling for the 2020 Ryanair mentored pilot training programme. It simply doesn't make sense.

Is it not illegal to sack staff while at the same time hiring them?

It doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence that the IR problems are behind them.
    Instead of being seen to engage with the employees to come to an amicable agreement and restore IR harmony it looks like they're going out of their way to inflame the situation and anger the workforce even more. Who in their right mind would book a flight for a holiday or an important business trip with this level of toxicity...?
    I'm sure there'll be no shortage of takers for the €9.99 seat sale that Ryanair will inevitably use as a smokescreen to mask this unrest but surely they need to be building their business model on something more stable than this element of the market?

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Since when have fares to canary islands been 9.99. Holiday flights make much more money from bags, seat reservations and on board sales and that is what they are all about. You have dodged my response why they opened the base in the first place. Why now after 8 years has the base closed at the same time as unions have come along 1 +1 =2
    they will continue to serve the bucket and spade destinations but with planes based elsewhere at times which are more convenient to the Customers and for which they pay a premium while still paying for all the ancillaries that they paid for previously.

Who in their right mind would book a flight for a holiday or an important business trip with this level of toxicity...?
    That game won't work anymore for the Unions. From now on as was done in the last week Ryanair will reply to every strike threat informing passengers that service will be delivered as normal and it won't be a lie. If they have to wet lease planes from their other brands or on the market even at the height of the season they will do it because it is cheaper than playing the Union game.
    IngazZagni wrote:
    I never understand why Ryanair takes the militant route when dealing with its staff.
    Not facing the Unions down means that every August in to the foreseeable future the Unions will call strikes until they have made Ryanair Management as docile as the management in Air France, KLM, Alitalia and Lufthansa. Air France can't even employ Management that the Unions don't approve; https://www.reuters.com/article/us-air-france-klm-ceo/air-france-klm-ceo-to-quit-after-staff-reject-pay-deal-idUSKBN1I5235
    This guy resigned because of the Unions and finding a successor to this guy wasn't easy due to the Unions - that is Union Nirvana.
    They'd like that for Ryanair too but Michael O'Leary has been given the blessing of the investors up until 2022 based on the business plan he is currently implementing. Appeasement will not work.

Also the company is guiding profits for FY20 in the range 750 to 950 million Euro. They are not making a billion a year at the moment thanks to the sabotage inflicted by the Unions yet the Unions expect to be rewarded with higher salaries for inflicting wealth destruction on Ryanair Investors.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wet leasing in the most expensive and complicted summer to do so ever is not going to be that simple a task.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Wet leasing in the most expensive and complicted summer to do so ever is not going to be that simple a task.
    Wet lease a few planes at short notice for what otherwise appears to be extorionate rates or be held hostage to Unions knocking hundreds of millions of euro off annual profit? Easy choice. Do it once or twice and ruin a few co-ordinated actions by various ALPAs across Europe and the Unions won't strike again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

billie1b wrote: »
    These base closures are nothing more than an attack at the staff and unions for Ryanair to try show them who’s boss and who will always be boss and that they will never give in to union demands, nothing more and nothing less.

A situation that, presumably, every single person who applied to Ryanair for a job would have been keenly aware of.

So why did they join?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wet lease a few planes at short notice for what otherwise appears to be extorionate rates or be held hostage to Unions knocking hundreds of millions of euro off annual profit? Easy choice. Do it once or twice and ruin a few co-ordinated actions by various ALPAs across Europe and the Unions won't strike again.

All a wonderful idea, if there are actually planes to lease. There aren't.

L1011 wrote: »
    All a wonderful idea, if there are actually planes to lease. There aren't.
    August is effectively over. They might try again in August 2020. A year to prepare.
    After that the Polish AOC with contractors and the Polish flight school will be in full swing.

August is effectively over. They might try again in August 2020. A year to prepare.
    After that the Polish AOC with contractors and the Polish flight school will be in full swing.

Christmas is only four months away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

So no strikes in the next 30 days or so?

I want to book a flight but very hesitant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Also the company is guiding profits for FY20 in the range 750 to 950 million Euro. They are not making a billion a year at the moment thanks to the sabotage inflicted by the Unions yet the Unions expect to be rewarded with higher salaries for inflicting wealth destruction on Ryanair Investors.

Give me a break, ah the poor shareholders and Ryanair with their self entitled employees who FR couldn't give a toss about.

Who could blame Peter Bellew, here's a nice job offer to escape the toxic chastity belt you find yourself in... the lovely little send off letter with the jibes of a teenager thrown in at the end and a lawsuit no doubt stemming from the self confessed narcissist in chief thereafter.

''Sabotage inflicted by the unions'' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Give me a break, ah the poor shareholders and Ryanair with their self entitled employees who FR couldn't give a toss about.

Who could blame Peter Bellew, here's a nice job offer to escape the toxic chastity belt you find yourself in... the lovely little send off letter with the jibes of a teenager thrown in at the end and a lawsuit no doubt stemming from the self confessed narcissist in chief thereafter.

''Sabotage inflicted by the unions'' :D

The same Peter Bellew who left a CEO job 18 months ago to come back to the job he left 36 months ago?

So no strikes in the next 30 days or so?

I want to book a flight but very hesitant.

What could possibly go wrong...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Are the Spanish strikes still going ahead in Sept. Have a flight booked on 13th and back on 20th, these days have been identified as strike days.

• Advertisement

A cabin crew strike(which this is) won't cancel your flight and your plane might not even be based in Spain which means it won't be crewed by Spanish staff.
    Check flightradar24 to see where your plane normally starts the day on that particular day in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

Roanmore wrote: »
    Are the Spanish strikes still going ahead in Sept. Have a flight booked on 13th and back on 20th, these days have been identified as strike days.

What’s your flight numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

1123heavy wrote: »
    "There is a significant overcapacity in the European short hall market".

How embarrassing that the HR manager for such a major airline can't even spell.

Blaming the max, blaming pay and blaming the cost of oil ... willfully ignorant to the fact they're the only guys announcing such job losses in Europe right now. It wouldn't have anything to do with those pesky strikes, by employees looking to be treated as humans would it?

Norwegian?

What’s your flight numbers?

Hi, they are FR9901 outbound and FR 9902 inbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Norwegian?

As far as I know Norwegian haven't sacked anybody yet. Of course Ryanair would have you believe otherwise. They should be offered positions at other bases. That could be subject to change though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

Roanmore wrote: »
    Hi, they are FR9901 outbound and FR 9902 inbound.

That’s a Cork based aircraft, so you should have no issues at all

That’s a Cork based aircraft, so you should have no issues at all

Great, appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Not facing the Unions down means that every August in to the foreseeable future the Unions will call strikes until they have made Ryanair Management as docile as the management in Air France, KLM, Alitalia and Lufthansa. Air France can't even employ Management that the Unions don't approve;
    They'd like that for Ryanair too but Michael O'Leary has been given the blessing of the investors up until 2022 based on the business plan he is currently implementing. Appeasement will not work.

Jaysus Rive, could you be more paranoid?

This whole situation with unions developed out of Managements gross mismanagement of staff relations over the past two decades.
    Staff with no rights struggled to improve conditions within their airline and as management weren't bothered listening they turned to Unions. MOL created this!

Unions are guided by their members. These Ryanair pilots don't seek to destroy their passengers travel plans and don't seek to decimate the share price (O'Leary's doing that all by himself) but they do seek the return to the conditions they enjoyed around 18 years ago.

Pay has drastically fallen since this time. As has the basics like loss of licence insurance, uniform, hotels when renewing licence abroad. With profits close to a billion per year crew still have to pay full price for water or food on-board. Not even a discounted price!!

That's what workers seek to change. It's been a downward spiral for conditions and workers have had enough.
    So don't go spouting nonsense about turning the airline into Air France cos that's so far from the truth!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Jaysus Rive, could you be more paranoid?

This whole situation with unions developed out of Managements gross mismanagement of staff relations over the past two decades.
    Staff with no rights struggled to improve conditions within their airline and as management weren't bothered listening they turned to Unions. MOL created this!

Unions are guided by their members. These Ryanair pilots don't seek to destroy their passengers travel plans and don't seek to decimate the share price (O'Leary's doing that all by himself) but they do seek the return to the conditions they enjoyed around 18 years ago.

Pay has drastically fallen since this time. As has the basics like loss of licence insurance, uniform, hotels when renewing licence abroad. With profits close to a billion per year crew still have to pay full price for water or food on-board. Not even a discounted price!!

That's what workers seek to change. It's been a downward spiral for conditions and workers have had enough.
    So don't go spouting nonsense about turning the airline into Air France cos that's so far from the truth!

Spot on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

In that case, why don't they simply leave? Presumably pay and conditions are vastly superior in other aviation companies.

Advertisement