Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Ryanair informing staff of job losses due to base closures at Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Tenerife and Girona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Ryanair informing staff of job losses due to base closures at Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Tenerife and Girona.

"There is a significant overcapacity in the European short hall market".

How embarrassing that the HR manager for such a major airline can't even spell.

Blaming the max, blaming pay and blaming the cost of oil ... willfully ignorant to the fact they're the only guys announcing such job losses in Europe right now. It wouldn't have anything to do with those pesky strikes, by employees looking to be treated as humans would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Basing airframes in tourist destinations(southerly bucket and spade holiday resorts) is a sub-optimal use of scare resources. The planes need to be delivering tourists to the tourist destinations early in the day and flying them out in the evening and at night.
    Regardless of whether the passenger is on a low or high wage they don't want to be loosing a day of holiday and paying for an additional night in a hotel.
    Girona overlaps with Barcelona.
    There are valid reasons why these bases would be cut which have nothing to do with Union activism and Unions are present in other Spanish bases which are not being closed.
    It is highly unfair to characterize this move as vindictiveness.

It has to be said that making the mistake of using "Hall" instead of "Haul" in a communication of such importance is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Training bonds become null and void once an employee is put on protective notice or terminated.
    Every cloud has a silver lining at least for some of them anyway.

Training bonds become null and void once an employee is put on protective notice or terminated.
    Every cloud has a silver lining at least for some of them anyway.

I'd be surprised if the guys who got those bonds are specifically tied to those bases listed. The ones i know who did it at least get shifted base quite regularly, you may as well say they don't have a fixed base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

rivegauche wrote: »
    Basing airframes in tourist destinations(southerly bucket and spade holiday resorts) is a sub-optimal use of scare resources. The planes need to be delivering tourists to the tourist destinations early in the day and flying them out in the evening and at night.
    Regardless of whether the passenger is on a low or high wage they don't want to be loosing a day of holiday and paying for an additional night in a hotel.
    There are valid reasons why these bases would be cut which have nothing to do with Union activism and Unions are present in other Spanish bases which are not being closed.

It has to be said that making the mistake of using "Hall" instead of "Haul" in a communication of such importance is very poor.

I’ll take the infraction or ban for it, you really are a fool, you seem to know everything about nothing got to do with Ryanair.
    How one person can spout out so much crap and think others will believe them is unbelievable, sometimes in this thread I get the feeling that you’re actually talking to yourself.
    If you think Ryanair are so great, why don’t you take a career break from your mums basement and join them for 6 months or a year, whether that be as ground staff, cabin crew, pilot, crew control, ops, any of the above and you will see how vindictive and sadistic Ryanair management are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

billie1b wrote: »
    I’ll take the infraction or ban for it, you really are a fool, you seem to know everything about nothing got to do with Ryanair.
    How one person can spout out so much crap and think others will believe them is unbelievable, sometimes in this thread I get the feeling that you’re actually talking to yourself.
    If you think Ryanair are so great, why don’t you take a career break from your mums basement and join them for 6 months or a year, whether that be as ground staff, cabin crew, pilot, crew control, ops, any of the above and you will see how vindictive and sadistic Ryanair management are.

Can you counter argue his points? He actually makes sense particularly on the point of use of aircraft - which Ryanair need to maximise in order to make money. The point on Girona is also very valid, FR make a lot of strategic decisions based on seasonal traffic, base costs, aircraft rotation and staffing requirements.

No need for personal attacks.

Can you counter argue his points? He actually makes sense particularly on the point of use of aircraft - which Ryanair need to maximise in order to make money. The point on Girona is also very valid, FR make a lot of strategic decisions based on seasonal traffic, base costs, aircraft rotation and staffing requirements.

No need for personal attacks.

Do you work in aviation? Have you had any employment related experiences with Ryanair or their managers?

Can you counter argue his points? He actually makes sense particularly on the point of use of aircraft - which Ryanair need to maximise in order to make money. No need for personal attacks.

Yes I can but he’ll just come back with other such pro Ryanair bull****, Ryanair didn’t have these bases for fun, they were very busy and high preforming bases, especially Girona. These base closures are nothing more than an attack at the staff and unions for Ryanair to try show them who’s boss and who will always be boss and that they will never give in to union demands, nothing more and nothing less.

1123heavy wrote: »
    Do you work in aviation? Have you had any employment related experiences with Ryanair or their managers?

I used to, not that its your business. Worked 10 years for FR - loved all 10 years of it too. great company to work for.

Good tag team you got going here with the other bully.

• Advertisement

I understand that the week has not been good for the Union Activists in Ryanair with emotions running high but I am not deserving of this abuse.

I used to, not that its your business. Worked 10 years for FR - loved all 10 years of it too. great company to work for.

Good tag team you got going here with the other bully.

You never worked a day in your life for them, i’m not a bully, I just speak in truth and facts about Ryanair, when people read it or hear it they don’t like it, the only bullies are Ryanairs management and their fanboys spouting crap

I understand that the week has not been good for the Union Activists in Ryanair with emotions running high but I am not deserving of this abuse.

You definitely wouldn’t last a day in Ryanair if being called a fool offends you.

You never worked a day in your life for them, i’m not a bully, I just speak in truth and facts about Ryanair, when people read it or hear it they don’t like it, the only bullies are Ryanairs management and their fanboys spouting crap

You know me to say that? Good boy. People have different opinions, understandings and knowledge on things, you are very obviously unaccepting of that, so I won't be engaging with you anymore as you clearly can't argue without resorting to abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Very informed and interesting piece from Phoenix magazine about O'Leary's suitability as CEO of Ryanair.
    Worth taking the time to read.
    (Apologies for the quality of the photo.)

You know me to say that? Good boy.

Well after been working there for 18 years and seen staff morale deteriorate day by day for the last 12 years I have a funny feeling you’re tag teaming with yourself there and telling a few porkies, good little lad

Very informed and interesting piece from Phoenix magazine about O'Leary's suitability as CEO of Ryanair.

Well after been working there for 18 years and seen staff morale deteriorate day by day for the last 12 years I have a funny feeling you’re tag teaming with yourself there and telling a few porkies, good little lad

Well I worked in FRD for years, before working in SXB, GSE, BGY and RPK.

As I mentioned in the Knock airport thread there is a great danger those routes will be lost now that the bases are closed. Ryanair would be happier to use the airframes on more profitable routes rather than operating a W pattern to maintain the routes or else they will want to use the planes as blockers like a dog in the manger to drive WIZZ away as was done with Southend just this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

You definitely wouldn’t last a day in Ryanair if being called a fool offends you.

He's trying to get you an infraction or ban blatantly obvious, well said points billieb.

Can we get back on topic? As I mentioned in the Knock airport thread there is a great danger those routes will be lost now that the bases are closed. Ryanair would be happier to use the airframes on more profitable routes rather than operating a W pattern to maintain the routes or else they will want to use the planes as blockers like a dog in the manger to drive WIZZ away as was done with Southend just this week.

You were correct in a previous reply as to why Ryanair are actually closing these bases.

Your answer was in effect, due social dumping.
    Ryanair DAC will cease operating from these and other bases (due to striking employees) and we will now see the likes of Buzz open up there instead.
    Not so funnily, Buzz as a lowest cost Polish outfit with no directly employed staff, i.e. all contractors, will replace these staff. It's a win win for management as strikes will no longer occur and staff are paid less and have no rights!

This is where European governments need to finally stand up and address this issue otherwise the greed of large corporations will destroy workers rights throughout Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Is closing a base the same as not flying there anymore?

The Ryanair website doesn't have any flights to Girona after November - is that route now gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

That's nonsense. If that is the case why did they open the base in the first place. Also planes based in the canaries had very high utilisation they generally operated a 4 hour plus flight in the am and a flight to mainland Spain in the evening meaning they are on the ground less than 2 hours a day between flights. They also operate flights that would otherwise not exist due to having no bases in the other end of the route
    This is purely disgusting bullying tactics to ruin the lives of anyone that demands basic rights in a authoritarian airline.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its perfectly possible to question someones knowledge and experience without getting so aggressive about it

Is closing a base the same as not flying there anymore?

The Ryanair website doesn't have any flights to Girona after November - is that route now gone?

Closing a base just means that aircraft won't "sleep" there overnight anymore but flights may still go there from other bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Ryanair has operated bases at Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Tenerife South since Summer 2011. Very convenient all of a sudden they are ''low utilization'' bases now and require closure. The point about Buzz potentially making an appearance holds a lot of merit.

Ryanair has been very clear as to its intentions with Buzz. It is intended to be their sub-brand which serves tourist destinations.

Ryanair has been very clear as to its intentions with Buzz. It is intended to be their sub-brand which serves tourist destinations.

Buzz..........coming to a city near you soon.

• Advertisement

Shamrockj wrote: »
    ...Also planes based in the canaries had very high utilisation they generally operated a 4 hour plus flight in the am and a flight to mainland Spain in the evening meaning they are on the ground less than 2 hours a day between flights.
    High utilization is not one in the same with profit maximisation. Ryanair will always endeavour to operate planes for in excess of 14 to 16 hours in a day but they'd prefer to be doing that with passengers paying higher fares than selling off their seats at €9.99. This change is expected to improve their profitability.

Advertisement