Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running issues specific to women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

eabha19 wrote: »
    Yeah I haven't cancelled yet but main reason I'm thinking of cancelling is that my physio says it will mean 3-6mths of no running and that results aren't guaranteed. She was of the view that if it only affects me running I might be better off holding off on surgery to see if exercise can make a difference. The exercises have made a big difference in my pelvic floor strength (according to her and tmi the hubby) but it still happens on some runs especially around my period. She also wondered if the EVBs might be too big, that they need to be really tight to work well. They're tight but not sure if they're tight enough. I tried to get bodyglide in elverys yesterday but they had none. Definitely want it before my next long run.

I had similar issues mostly around certain times of the month when hormones relax everything when I was running. but I am much better after exercises and it has not happened in months FX it stays that way.

I just got discharged from physio on Tuesday and I have to just keep up the exercises 2 to 3 times a week now.
    one thing I found helped was making sure I went toilet before going out the door & stopping and peeing if I felt the slightest urge also getting in to the habit of holding my tummy in when running ( you know like you do when walking and stand nice and tall) that helps support you in the pelvic area. that worked and stopped it happening at that paticulr time of the month.
    I did not want the surgery either as it can fail and the recovery time the thoughts of not being able to run :eek: but also having small kids to look after!

I have the same problem on my lower back from my shorts they are a little big now I have lost some weight :) but try a cycling shop they have anti chafing cream which I find much better https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/udderly-smooth-chamois-cream/rp-prod150708?gs=1&sku=sku549694&pgrid=55940684621&ptaid=pla-418249128676&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sJGbduvoc_dc|pcrid|294740729978|pkw||pmt||prd|549694IE&gclid=CjwKCAjwm4rqBRBUEiwAwaWjjDBon5pTb1dWon240q3Ku1t19IxsLav4z392tvmSEUFLJ4ed9_NcERoCUBcQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Great thread!

Heres one that I reckon prob only affects women, well my husband managed to train for a marathon with no kids on any of his runs anyway!

Training for Dublin half and was due to run 3 miles yesterday. Was off and husband had a match in the evening so to avoid running after 9pm, I said I’d pop 19mth old in the running buggy for his nap and almost 5yr old could cycle. Well 5yr old decided he was tired too and hoped onto when a child’s feet are meant to go. Didn’t react well to me telling him to get off (there were tears), so did 5km in 35mins with plenty of hills pushing 2kids/approx 5stone in a SINGLE buggy! Did hit some great speeds on the downhills :) May not have been the safest mode of transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Great thread!

Heres one that I reckon prob only affects women, well my husband managed to train for a marathon with no kids on any of his runs anyway!

Training for Dublin half and was due to run 3 miles yesterday. Was off and husband had a match in the evening so to avoid running after 9pm, I said I’d pop 19mth old in the running buggy for his nap and almost 5yr old could cycle. Well 5yr old decided he was tired too and hoped onto when a child’s feet are meant to go. Didn’t react well to me telling him to get off (there were tears), so did 5km in 35mins with plenty of hills pushing 2kids/approx 5stone in a SINGLE buggy! Did hit some great speeds on the downhills :) May not have been the safest mode of transport!

Sounds like a great work out to be sure!

Right ! I went on holidays and gained a few pounds . I don’t want to have them . I don’t want to be super skinny but I need to drop 3/4 pounds to be at my comfortable weight .

The weight doesn’t fall off me when I run . I run so more doesn’t go on . I’m fairly ok at sensible dieting and can be disciplined when I need to be .

I’m trying to eat more protein at the moment so It makes me feel full. Anyways im trying to eat about 1600 calories a day - but not including any running calories .

Which is grand and only a deficit if you include the running . Enough rambling - I never thought I’d hear myself say this but what’s enough to eat without energy levels suffering .

I can live with tight pants for faster times .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

[/QUOTE]
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    I’m trying to eat more protein at the moment so It makes me feel full. Anyways im trying to eat about 1600 calories a day - but not including any running calories .

Which is grand and only a deficit if you include the running . Enough rambling - I never thought I’d hear myself say this but what’s enough to eat without energy levels suffering .

That's a really tough balance.
    'Dieting/eating at a deficit/eating sensibly/whatever you call it'

sends off so many "I'm hungry" alarm bells' that all you can think about is food.

When I wanted to lose a few pounds for lifting competitions, I found eating non-oily fish (rather than meat) really helped. I felt like I was still eating plenty/full meals, loads of protein but it's far less calorific.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If you've an android, and particularly a huawei, which C25k app do you have?

My Zenlabs one was perfect on my old phone but on my new huawei it keeps crashing if theres any other sort of notification. And I don't find out until I'm gasping and wondering where yer wan is to tell me to start walking. Recommendations please!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Neyite wrote:
    My Zenlabs one was perfect on my old phone but on my new huawei it keeps crashing if theres any other sort of notification. And I don't find out until I'm gasping and wondering where yer wan is to tell me to start walking. Recommendations please!

Download Podkicker, there's loads of C25k podcasts on it. My personal favourite is Boogie Shoes cause I love the music on it. I'm about to start a 5-10k one on it too, if I can ever shake myself out of my post-holiday slump.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Baby75 wrote: »
    I had similar issues mostly around certain times of the month when hormones relax everything when I was running. but I am much better after exercises and it has not happened in months FX it stays that way.

I have similar problem around TOTM. I went to ob/gynae who has recommended physio for exercises but I am just a bit too busy at the moment and mine is worse in winter anyway after a bout of asthma induced coughing. However things I've found help and thought I'd share:
    Reduce caffeine intake - I drink one real coffee a day now and one tea and the rest decaf tea which while not caffeine free is reduced.
    Lots of fluid the day before long runs but none the morning of. I'm a morning runner and morning is my problem time.
    Wear a pad just in case.
    EVB shorts, I got them. First pair were just too tight and the muffin top was unreal so now I am wearing next size up and they do help a bit though it might be psychological. They were really nice in evb and didn't charge me for the second delivery.
    Why does TOTM always fall for big races!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Seesee wrote: »
    Baby75 wrote: »

I have similar problem around TOTM. I went to ob/gynae who has recommended physio for exercises but I am just a bit too busy at the moment and mine is worse in winter anyway after a bout of asthma induced coughing. However things I've found help and thought I'd share:
    Reduce caffeine intake - I drink one real coffee a day now and one tea and the rest decaf tea which while not caffeine free is reduced.
    Lots of fluid the day before long runs but none the morning of. I'm a morning runner and morning is my problem time.
    Wear a pad just in case.
    EVB shorts, I got them. First pair were just too tight and the muffin top was unreal so now I am wearing next size up and they do help a bit though it might be psychological. They were really nice in evb and didn't charge me for the second delivery.
    Why does TOTM always fall for big races!!

I had three evenings last week (during TOTM) where I had leaking even with my EVBs. I would definitely recommend physio - I've found it great. Or if not download the squeezey app (about 2.99) - it's great for reminding you to do your kegels. I do a set of 10 x10secs plus 10 x 1 secs squeezies three times a day and it has made a big difference to prolapse issues that I had. My physio also recommended wearing a tampon when running. I only do it for evening runs as that's when I end up with leaking and I'd be nervous that it might get uncomfortable for long runs so I just do it for short ones. I forgot to do it when I had the incidences this week but that might be unrelated. I got anti-chaffing roll on for my long run yesterday - helped a lot but my sports bra still managed to cut me so will have to start looking for the shock absorber bra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just coming back about the "how often should you replace your sports bra" discussion. When I realised that I'd had my white sports bras for donkey's years, I went out and bought 2 white sports bras in Penneys. I'm a 34A so don't need strong support but they still need supporting during exercise all the same. I wore one at parkrun on Sat morn and the difference was unreal. My boobs literally did not budge. Will have to see how they wash and wear again but I think I'll have to replace a few more of my sports bras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

For anyone who has actually bought the Stacy Sims book - is it worth getting? Just been listening to one of the podcasts again and it really is fascinating stuff. I have a bad track record for buying books like this and reading the intro before getting distracted and letting them collect dust though, so I'm curious if there's much more in the book beyond the basics she talks about in the podcasts that makes it worth having?

eyrie wrote: »
    For anyone who has actually bought the Stacy Sims book - is it worth getting? Just been listening to one of the podcasts again and it really is fascinating stuff. I have a bad track record for buying books like this and reading the intro before getting distracted and letting them collect dust though, so I'm curious if there's much more in the book beyond the basics she talks about in the podcasts that makes it worth having?

I really like the book. It is a bit sciency and jargon loaded and not really a book to be read unless your fully awake .

I started reading you know from the actual start then got restless and skipped straight away to the parts of immediate interest .

Now I reread the parts that interest me over and over when I forget the advice (goldfish brain)and am beginning to start new chapters. I Send snapshots to buddies using Stacey as my back-up. Didn’t I tell ya lads !!!!

So well worth the few cuid . Can be used as a coaster or a moth killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Thanks Bluesquare, sounds worth having so, you've convinced me! Now to find some extra stuff I don't need to bring me up to the free shipping amount :pac:
    So well worth the few cuid . Can be used as a coaster or a moth killer.
    Oh god there's so many tiny moths in my place at the moment, they're driving me mad!

Does anybody have a hypothyroidism? Does it effect your running ? Do you think your running performance during certain times of the month is weirder because of this ? How does it effect your recovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Does anybody have a hypothyroidism? Does it effect your running ? Do you think your running performance during certain times of the month is weirder because of this ? How does it effect your recovery?

Yes, I do I am on tablets for it, it does not effect my performance well I do not think so anyway! but does affect my cycle which is a side effect of the tablets.

its the week before I am due, I find it really affects me, performance-wise I have had some awful days running only for them to arive the day after and my achilles was always niggly that week as well it was my physio that pointed out why to me when I was wondering why I had 1 week out of the month no matter how careful I was it hurt more. but I recovered ok I am careful to make sure I eat well and within the 30 minutes after I finish a run and then eat my meal and loads of water

Good questions though and one to look in to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I listened to an interview with Renee McGregor on my run last week. Renee is a sports and eating disorder dietician. The focus was more on the severe end of overtraining but she, like Stacey Sims, was cautioning against running fasted. Something else I picked up was a suggestion to eat your main meal during the day if you've a training session that evening.

For anyone who gets shock absorber run bras I just bought one on amazon - price came up as 28 pound but when I went to buy price came up as 14 euro. Will let ye know if it's the real deal when in arrives on Tuesday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Huzzah! wrote: »
    The focus was more on the severe end of overtraining but she, like Stacey Sims, was cautioning against running fasted.

What's the reasoning behind this Huzzah!? Is it advised just for women, or generally?
    I almost always run fasted, but jeepers, there are days when I wonder if it's such a good idea, and have pretty much decided not to run LSRs any more without breakfast on board.
    It often seems counter-intuitive to run any distance without fuelling up a few hours beforehand, although I see the logic behind the idea of running fasted too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Chaffing - I know not specific to women but after the FD10 mile yesterday I’m in bits! Have previously experienced some on my inner thighs and under the bust line so in prep for yesterday I bought anti chaff cream.

Even before I left I felt it wasn’t working so I quickly put some kinesiology tape over my thighs and across my back. When I got to Phoenix park i put a small amount under each boob. I know the awful heat yesterday made things worse but I have open sores today :(

Most seems to be from my bra and a line from a running belt that moved up as a I ran and I left it!

Any tips at all? I’m thinking the kinesiology tape might be the best option long term but open to any other suggestions. I’m no slim sally so boobs need a lot of support and there may be some extra flesh I could do with losing but currently that’s not an option for the Dublin Half Marathon in 4 weeks

Ooouuuch :(:o
    You poor thing.
    What brand of bra are you wearing? And what are you wearing on your legs?

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    Ooouuuch :(:o
    You poor thing.
    What brand of bra are you wearing? And what are you wearing on your legs?

I have big boobs - 38e so I have a heavy duty sports bra from dunnes. Everything stays put in it but once it’s warm there is chaffing. It is underwired and I know that’s probably contributing - though it might also be the muffin top hitting of them ;(

Would you believe I’m wearing running trousers - the thigh chaffing was right at the top, the the tape completely stopped it yesterday

I've shrunk a bit since all this marathon training, but I wouldn't have been too far off your size... would you invest in an Under Armour bra? My doc got me to go for a really top quality support bra as I was getting boob ligament pain, and the difference in support, comfort and potential chafing is huge. Might be worth trying one to see does it help?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

eabha19 wrote: »
    For anyone who gets shock absorber run bras I just bought one on amazon - price came up as 28 pound but when I went to buy price came up as 14 euro. Will let ye know if it's the real deal when in arrives on Tuesday.

I live in shockabsorbers but I've ordered a Syrokan because they look similar. Will update when it arrives as to whether it's any good.

It is coming from China (if people have issues with that) but it's about half the price of the shockabsorbers normal sale price so I reckon it's worth trying...

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I live in shockabsorbers but I've ordered a Syrokan because they look similar.

Do you know, it's worse I'm getting. It's the Shock Absorber bra I was talking about above, not Under Armour :o
    Anyway, they're really comfy. Look forward to your Syrokan review Choc Chip :)

I've shrunk a bit since all this marathon training, but I wouldn't have been too far off your size... would you invest in an Under Armour bra? My doc got me to go for a really top quality support bra as I was getting boob ligament pain, and the difference in support, comfort and potential chafing is huge. Might be worth trying one to see does it help?

I’ll try anything to avoid this pain! Will take a look at the shock absorbers - thank you

I’ll try anything to avoid this pain! Will take a look at the shock absorbers - thank you

They're inclined to fit a bit small, so I'd suggest heading to Elvery's to try them on. There is a good bit of room for downward adjustment, but your normal size might feel too small. They did for me at least!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

They're inclined to fit a bit small, so I'd suggest heading to Elvery's to try them on. There is a good bit of room for downward adjustment, but your normal size might feel too small. They did for me at least!

I wear my normal size because I like to feel 100% properly strapped in. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Over the head ones or fastening ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

What's the reasoning behind this Huzzah!? Is it advised just for women, or generally?
    I almost always run fasted, but jeepers, there are days when I wonder if it's such a good idea, and have pretty much decided not to run LSRs any more without breakfast on board.
    It often seems counter-intuitive to run any distance without fuelling up a few hours beforehand, although I see the logic behind the idea of running fasted too!

Okay, well, mentoring and the fact that you should really be practicing your pre-DCM breakfast before long runs aside (:p), to clarify, I think it's okay to do easy runs fasted, but workouts and races not so much. The reasoning is to do with a negative impact on hormone levels.

• Advertisement

Like I said above there seems to be great offers on the shock absorbers on amazon so try on in elverys and buy online is my tip!

Advertisement