Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running issues specific to women

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I can honestly say I would have gone nuts if I'd waited 3-6 months after having my boys to start running again! I only took 10 weeks off running in total with my second baby - started again when he was 6 weeks old and run-walked a parkrun in 39 mins at 7.5 weeks. I started back 5 weeks after having my first as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Got mejool dates in supervalu but haven't tried them yet. The ones in Marks are gorgeous. Deglet dates can be found in lots of supermarkets and are also nice but not as nice - but cheaper.

Regarding all this talk of food on runs, I presume you're being marathon specific as I never eat, am training for HM so longest runs so far 16/17k. I might stop for some water at 10 but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Seesee wrote:
    Regarding all this talk of food on runs, I presume you're being marathon specific as I never eat, am training for HM so longest runs so far 16/17k. I might stop for some water at 10 but that's it.

I just asked my marathon-running sister in law what she eats on a run and she looked at me like I'd ten heads!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I just asked my marathon-running sister in law what she eats on a run and she looked at me like I'd ten heads!

I believe after about 2 hours or so it can be beneficial to intake carbs as the glycogen stores in your muscles would be used up. But less than that I think should be ok. But of course everyone is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Sounds yum ! Where do you get the dates? . The ones in marks are awesome - I’ll have to try and get there ! Beginning to sound like a picnic rather than a long run !
    :D
    Honestly for this purpose I just buy the bags of dates in lidl, they're still tasty when combined with the PB and I'm not exactly taking the time to savour a fancy date when I'm mid run! However as an aside, dates stuffed with nut butter and then coated with dark chocolate are a delicious non-running food too, so it might be worth going for the fancy kind for those ;)

Seesee wrote: »
    Same, no fuel in training runs apart from during marathon training long runs.

Actually I'm curious - I never drink anything either, anyone else? Mostly out of laziness as I don't want to have to carry water. Again, if I was doing a 3 hour long run I would, but for normal runs, like 2 hours or less, I don't. But I haven't read enough about the hydration issues for women yet to know if I should be drinking more :confused: Then again it hasn't done any harm so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

eyrie wrote: »
    Actually I'm curious - I never drink anything either, anyone else? Mostly out of laziness as I don't want to have to carry water. Again, if I was doing a 3 hour long run I would, but for normal runs, like 2 hours or less, I don't. But I haven't read enough about the hydration issues for women yet to know if I should be drinking more :confused: Then again it hasn't done any harm so far!

I don't bring water on any runs either, but lately on the hot days if I'm near a tap in a park I'll happily stop for a gulp! It is different doing 2 hours in winter vs summer obviously, but I'd usually just pop a zero tab in water when I get home to help rehydrate... not sure either if this is problematic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I don't eat or drink on runs either but i haven't gone over 2 hrs in a long long time, this year possibly :rolleyes: I don't typically eat before my long runs either if they are first thing in the morning which they usually are but again they are less than 2 hrs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Would never eat on runs for marathon training myself. Gels don't agree with me so I survive marathons on water and sports drink...I was much younger than I am now last time I did a marathon though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Really individual thing. I use the SIS isotonic gels on marathon training long runs, favour the electrolyte ones, avoid the caffeinated ones because of the digestive effects! After 20 miles in a marathon anything goes though.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I don't bring water on any runs either, but lately on the hot days if I'm near a tap in a park I'll happily stop for a gulp! It is different doing 2 hours in winter vs summer obviously, but I'd usually just pop a zero tab in water when I get home to help rehydrate... not sure either if this is problematic!
    Parks with taps you say?? I must be running in the wrong places.
    ariana` wrote: »
    I don't eat or drink on runs either but i haven't gone over 2 hrs in a long long time, this year possibly :rolleyes: I don't typically eat before my long runs either if they are first thing in the morning which they usually are but again they are less than 2 hrs.
    Oh no I haven't gone longer than that either! I definitely have coffee before a regular long run though, and generally a slice of toast. Are you starving by the time you get home? I usually am even with having toast first!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

See I'm nearly the opposite. I have to bring water with me. Sometimes I think it's like a crutch, I probably don't need it. I've been on runs/races before where I haven't had water and the mouth as dry as the Sahara and just not able. I think it's like a comfort thing for me, that I have water to hand IF I need it, that I'm not depending on a water station. I'm not the best at drinking water day to day so maybe if I was better hydrated I wouldn't feel like I need to carry water on a run.

In terms of fueling, I've done distances up to half marathon. Fruit pastilles are my go-to. They are sweet, sugary, there's a bit of a chew and eating in them, they aren't sticky if you keep them in their roll, they are compact and easy to get your hands on. Other than that I've tried Ciff blocks, they are just like a jelly cube. I've never felt the need to try gels, I hear a lot about trying to find ones that agree with your stomach, about them being sticky, they sound offputting even though a running friend has told me that they are the business in a marathon.

Just coming back in relation to the lifespan of a sports bra....
    I was looking at my "facebook memories" for today and one came up of a run I did 6 years ago - and I know I still have and use the bra I'm wearing in the photo!!
    *hides my face in shame*
    I'm also wearing a string top, like a cotton cami you get for €2 in Penneys - must not have heard of running tops: breathable, lightweight, moisture wicking fabric...

Oh no I haven't gone longer than that either! I definitely have coffee before a regular long run though, and generally a slice of toast. Are you starving by the time you get home? I usually am even with having toast first!

I'm hungry when i get home admittedly. If i'm running longer than 2 hrs i'll have 1/2 slice of toast. I just fear the need for the toilet. And in fairness i use it as an excuse to have a bit of a feast the evening before :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I was reading a Facebook post recently that suggested eating a jaffa cake just before a long race. Now I don't know about other people but is it really possible to only eat one jaffa cake?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

julyjane wrote: »
    I was reading a Facebook post recently that suggested eating a jaffa cake just before a long race. Now I don't know about other people but is it really possible to only eat one jaffa cake?

Maybe there was a typo, they meant to suggest eating a pack of jaffa cakes?
    Maybe?
    :o

julyjane wrote: »
    Have heard something similar before. Husband is in reserve defence forces and he said they used to bring a pack with them on field nights or days out on the shooting range.
    Now he said a pack so there must have been a typo in that faebook post you read, it probably should have said one pack of Jaffa cakes!

julyjane wrote:

I'd find it difficult to eat a single jaffa cake, cause they're flippin horrid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

It's like fig roll gate all over again :)

• Advertisement

Sacrilege :eek: Jaffa cakes are the food of champions ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Shocking statement.
    Post reported.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Morning All,

Just back from holidays and trying to start eating well to help with the long miles that are going to start racking up .

Trying to get my head around ‘Roar’ and start stocking up the cupboards .

I have been using zero for years -not whilst running but before and after . Even to assist with hangovers ! The book seems to advise against ? Anyone try the hydration suggested by her? How much water do you drink a day . I find it difficult to to drink water - I drink loads of tea lol. I normally just drink when I’m thirsty which may not be enough . My pee is normally a grand color - when it’s not green from zero.

With regard to protein consumption does anyone use protein powder and if so which ones . How do you use it other than drinks . I’m loathe to add shakes to my diet other than for recovery - I don’t want to load extra calories and I don’t want to replace some nice food for a drink . I like food.

Any body got done good protein ball recipes for on the run ? I like the idea of fueling with yummy stuff - salty jam sandwiches don’t sound so appealing . The food / gel intake suggested anywhere always seems a bit high . Some friends live taking frozen mini mars bars with them on the run . No the healthiest I know but they swear it’s effective . I’ll be starting long runs where I’ll need fuel soon and want to get it right .

What do you use for recovery ?

I did read somewhere that Stacey Sims was lance Armstrong’s nutritionist - so that’s a worry !

Thanks in advance for advice !

I am still trying to get my head around it as well LOL I dont think she is against zero tabs as they are very similar to the Nuun unless it is because they have no carbs in them may be! I fins Zero tabs great, but I prefer Tailwind for fueling/hydration for racing or long runs.
    I am going to try eating more while moving and getting used to that
    As for getting in enough water I like fizzy water and sugar free lemon cordial or I put some fresh lemon in my water I was in a great habit but I am really slacking the last week.

I have not tried Protien powder yet myself but I did do a course 3 years back on sports nutrition and you can add it to meals or homemade bars and it does not have to send you over your calorie limit for the day.
    here a recipe for

''Laura peanut butter bars''
    183 per bar

Ingredients
    110 g porridge 129g peanut butter 85g honey 30g chocolate chips 2 scoops vanilla protein powder

Laura Peanut Butter Protein Bars (10 serving)

Preparation
    1. Line an 8-inch square pan with a piece of parchment paper 2. Mix the porridge, add the peanut butter & honey together in a large bowl and add to wet mix 3. Stir well to combine. Add the protein and mix again. 4. If the mixture is a bit dry, add a splash of water and mix again. 5. Press into pan and pop into the freezer. 6. After freezing the bars for about 5-10 minutes, remove from freezer and slice into bars.
    Store in the freezer for a week or longer in an air-tight freezer bag or container

Holy crap it's hot out there. Went out for dinner last night and left my car at the restaurant. Was going to run down for it, about 6k. Got about 500m down the road, decided I didn't want to die today and just walked it. Currently sitting in the beer garden of the attached pub with my dog and a Bulmer's Light while I wait for the car to cool down :)

I'm just back from Mexico where the aforementioned marathon running sis in law went for a 5k run most mornings. Absolutely no idea how did she did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Baby75 wrote: »
    I am still trying to get my head around it as well LOL I dont think she is against zero tabs as they are very similar to the Nuun unless it is because they have no carbs in them may be! I fins Zero tabs great, but I prefer Tailwind for fueling/hydration for racing or long runs.
    I am going to try eating more while moving and getting used to that
    As for getting in enough water I like fizzy water and sugar free lemon cordial or I put some fresh lemon in my water I was in a great habit but I am really slacking the last week.

I have not tried Protien powder yet myself but I did do a course 3 years back on sports nutrition and you can add it to meals or homemade bars and it does not have to send you over your calorie limit for the day.
    here a recipe for

''Laura peanut butter bars''
    183 per bar

Ingredients
    110 g porridge 129g peanut butter 85g honey 30g chocolate chips 2 scoops vanilla protein powder

Laura Peanut Butter Protein Bars (10 serving)

Preparation
    1. Line an 8-inch square pan with a piece of parchment paper 2. Mix the porridge, add the peanut butter & honey together in a large bowl and add to wet mix 3. Stir well to combine. Add the protein and mix again. 4. If the mixture is a bit dry, add a splash of water and mix again. 5. Press into pan and pop into the freezer. 6. After freezing the bars for about 5-10 minutes, remove from freezer and slice into bars.
    Store in the freezer for a week or longer in an air-tight freezer bag or container

Only seeing this now - dunno why it didn’t pop up in my in box (before I started the other thread ). Have heard great things on tail wind - just bought a sachet to try . Running is costing me a fortune. Thanks for the recipe. I have found yogurts with 90 calories and 16g of protein . This is great for me as I eat a lot of yogurt anyway - it’s called Kvarg and bought in dunnes .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Down with Jaffa Cakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Hi all, just found this thread - it's a great one. I've been wearing M&S sports bras, with zips on the front and now that I'm doing long runs my sternum is literally cut to pieces from the zips. So fricking sore! Do the shock absorber bras have zips and if so has anyone experienced chafing with them? It's sore for me now even on shorter runs as the area is so sore. I've also had the shorts chafing and the underarm chafing so I'm definitely buying some bodyglide this week. RE the under arm chafing, it only chafes if I wear a sleeveless running top - last week I wore a running tee instead and it was fine (the shorts and the bra got me but!). I also have pelvic floor issues that only seem to affect me running and at that only evening running if my body is tired. Long runs are pee free because they're early morning runs but this cannot be said for my Sunday recovery run! I'm scheduled for surgery post DCM in November but have been to physio for last few months and am thinking of cancelling surgery and just keeping up my exercises instead. And the leakage definitely happens more frequently when I have my period too. I have EVB three quarter lengths - I soaked them two nights ago so that'll tell you how they are working out for me!! (and they cost me 80 quid).
    thanks for all the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

eabha19 wrote: »
    Hi all, just found this thread - it's a great one. I've been wearing M&S sports bras, with zips on the front and now that I'm doing long runs my sternum is literally cut to pieces from the zips. So fricking sore! Do the shock absorber bras have zips and if so has anyone experienced chafing with them? It's sore for me now even on shorter runs as the area is so sore. I've also had the shorts chafing and the underarm chafing so I'm definitely buying some bodyglide this week. RE the under arm chafing, it only chafes if I wear a sleeveless running top - last week I wore a running tee instead and it was fine (the shorts and the bra got me but!). I also have pelvic floor issues that only seem to affect me running and at that only evening running if my body is tired. Long runs are pee free because they're early morning runs but this cannot be said for my Sunday recovery run! I'm scheduled for surgery post DCM in November but have been to physio for last few months and am thinking of cancelling surgery and just keeping up my exercises instead. And the leakage definitely happens more frequently when I have my period too. I have EVB three quarter lengths - I soaked them two nights ago so that'll tell you how they are working out for me!! (and they cost me 80 quid).
    thanks for all the info!

The Shock Absorbers don’t have zips and are brilliant. The odd time I’ve chaffed at the back under the buckle but I just use Bodyglide on very long runs now just in case. I chaff under my right arm (rarely my left for some reason) and some shorts too but Bodyglide always works so get loads and you’ll be grand.

I wouldn’t cancel the surgery just yet - why don’t you keep doing your exercises and see how it’s going? The EVB shorts are great so maybe you will still need the surgery even with the exercises?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Kellygirl wrote: »
    The Shock Absorbers don’t have zips and are brilliant. The odd time I’ve chaffed at the back under the buckle but I just use Bodyglide on very long runs now just in case. I chaff under my right arm (rarely my left for some reason) and some shorts too but Bodyglide always works so get loads and you’ll be grand.

I wouldn’t cancel the surgery just yet - why don’t you keep doing your exercises and see how it’s going? The EVB shorts are great so maybe you will still need the surgery even with the exercises?

Yeah I haven't cancelled yet but main reason I'm thinking of cancelling is that my physio says it will mean 3-6mths of no running and that results aren't guaranteed. She was of the view that if it only affects me running I might be better off holding off on surgery to see if exercise can make a difference. The exercises have made a big difference in my pelvic floor strength (according to her and tmi the hubby) but it still happens on some runs especially around my period. She also wondered if the EVBs might be too big, that they need to be really tight to work well. They're tight but not sure if they're tight enough. I tried to get bodyglide in elverys yesterday but they had none. Definitely want it before my next long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

eabha19 wrote: »
    Yeah I haven't cancelled yet but main reason I'm thinking of cancelling is that my physio says it will mean 3-6mths of no running and that results aren't guaranteed. She was of the view that if it only affects me running I might be better off holding off on surgery to see if exercise can make a difference. The exercises have made a big difference in my pelvic floor strength (according to her and tmi the hubby) but it still happens on some runs especially around my period. She also wondered if the EVBs might be too big, that they need to be really tight to work well. They're tight but not sure if they're tight enough. I tried to get bodyglide in elverys yesterday but they had none. Definitely want it before my next long run.

Ah I get you and I’d probably be feeling the same way. Maybe contact the girls in EVB. I found their customer service amazing and they sent me two pairs of shorts to try on sizes once and I sent one pair back to them.

Hopefully you’ve get the Bodyglide soon. It’s brilliant. I use it at the back of my heels when I wear high heels now or under the straps of strappy sandles- best job ever!

Advertisement