Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running issues specific to women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I don't think Irish Runner mag is online, so I don't have a link, sorry! I'll try to attach it as a picture. Hope it's a help!

ETA: I tried to and couldn't. How do you upload a pic?

Edited again: Think I did it! (accidentally in reverse order) below)
    Really interesting article HelenAnne, thanks for posting!

This is definitely something I need to be better about myself, I've gotten totally out of the habit. I can never manage to work up the courage to use the weights section in the gym but I've been meaning to motivate myself to go back to classes at least, must just do it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I replace my bras whenever they start losing their elasticity, no set timeframe. I did only read recently though that you shouldn't use fabric softener when washing sportswear containing elastane but honestly, who has the time or inclination to be doing yet another different laundry load?
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    :) I have never used fabric softener, so maybe that's why mine have lasted 9 years :)

I think fabric softener isn't great for wicking material, so I do separate washes. I tend to wash my gear in a hotter wash too as I was having issues last summer with gear not smelling too fresh despite being clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

eyrie wrote: »
    I can never manage to work up the courage to use the weights section in the gym but I've been meaning to motivate myself to go back to classes at least, must just do it now!

I could have written this! I look yearningly over at the weights section at the gym but have yet to be brave enough to go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

I could have written this! I look yearningly over at the weights section at the gym but have yet to be brave enough to go over.

Would you consider doing some personal training or small group training usually a 6 week programme twice s week it will help you understand correct posture weights to use etc. I’ve done a few sessions with focus on strength and conditioning for running. Find it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sunriserun

HelenAnne, Thank you so much for going to the bother of posting your article. It was so interesting and excellently written. You have a lovely style of writing combining scientific facts, personal experience and anecdotes.
    I had been going to S&C class geared towards runners and really enjoyed it and found it beneficial. It was moved to a later time and with DCM training ramping up I was going to let it go by the wayside. After reading that article I'm going back now again. I got injured last year so whatever happens I really, really want to make it to the start line this year. Thanks again.

I refuse to say how often I replace (or wash) my sports bras..... I am a disgrace!! :)

Here's an interesting article I came across today:

https://blog.strava.com/periods-matter-17738/

• Advertisement

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Would you consider doing some personal training or small group training usually a 6 week programme twice s week it will help you understand correct posture weights to use etc. I’ve done a few sessions with focus on strength and conditioning for running. Find it great.

I've been considering that as it happens. That's great to hear that you found it helped your running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I've been considering that as it happens. That's great to hear that you found it helped your running.

Lifting weights is a wonderful empowering buzz - definitely consider 1 or 2 PT sessions, you won't look back.

Once you know what to do, also remember, most people in gyms are too busy thinking about/looking at themselves to even notice what others are up to.

juke wrote: »
    Lifting weights is a wonderful empowering buzz - definitely consider 1 or 2 PT sessions, you won't look back.

Once you know what to do, also remember, most people in gyms are too busy thinking about/looking at themselves to even notice what others are up to.

Thanks J. Wise words.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Gosh I've had some bras for years! They only really seem to get replaced if they've become too washed and worn and no longer give enough support. Sometimes they get demoted from running bra to exercise bra (for walking, gym, cycling).

They're not meant to have a birthday is what I've read but whoever wrote that doesn't train 7+ times a week. 7 x ~€60 every year is a freakin big expense (assuming like me you are too lazy to wash after every use)
    I downgrade them too...or I just wear two with lessser support together and they make one sturdy bra :D

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I think fabric softener isn't great for wicking material, so I do separate washes. I tend to wash my gear in a hotter wash too as I was having issues last summer with gear not smelling too fresh despite being clean.

I find using a biological detergent solves the smell problem. It attacks the sweat bacteria. The non bio doesn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Was in Elverys today trying on some leggings....did the bend over test and not good! Size 10 penneys knicks in full view ugh. I like to stay up at the very front of fitness class otherwise I just get distracted looking at the backs of people's heads but I dont want people seeing my kecks when im squatting. Any other women have this problem with leggings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Also, I need to invest in another new sports bra. Currently have 2 nike swoosh bras. I find them very good although as one is years older than the other Im starting to notice less support in the older one. Im a size 10-12 with 36C size. Just wondering are there any better ones out there than Nike Swoosh bras? I dont really care for colours or patterns like to stick to black.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Was in Elverys today trying on some leggings....did the bend over test and not good! Size 10 penneys knicks in full view ugh. I like to stay up at the very front of fitness class otherwise I just get distracted looking at the backs of people's heads but I dont want people seeing my kecks when im squatting. Any other women have this problem with leggings?

I have this problem with most of my exercise gear. I love wearing tight shorts and leggings but I find I have terrible VPL with all of them. I don't want to wear a thong when I'm running for obvious reasons but I also am somewhat self conscious of people seeing the outline of my granny panties through my gear. Anyone got any recommendations for comfy running underwear that aren't too visible? Or does such a thing exist?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

M&S microfibre knickers are pretty good for avoiding the VPL.

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Gap do some nice running gear and they have a range of "blackout" leggings that are properly not-see-through, even when you bend over! Probably wouldn't help with VPL issues though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Maybe ask someone in the gym to do a starter program for you and show you how everything works... that's what I did and started off on pathetically low weights (now slightly less pathetically low)... but it's amazing how fast your muscles adapt and it really does help, especially at the end of long runs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I have this problem with most of my exercise gear. I love wearing tight shorts and leggings but I find I have terrible VPL with all of them. I don't want to wear a thong when I'm running for obvious reasons but I also am somewhat self conscious of people seeing the outline of my granny panties through my gear. Anyone got any recommendations for comfy running underwear that aren't too visible? Or does such a thing exist?

No knickers = no vpl. How can you wear underwear? Is it not mad uncomfortable?

edit: In case it was unclear. My recommendation is to go commando :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I wear microfibre thongs when running/exercising and I've no comfort issues at all. Mind you, I only do 5k at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Morning All,

Just back from holidays and trying to start eating well to help with the long miles that are going to start racking up .

Trying to get my head around ‘Roar’ and start stocking up the cupboards .

I have been using zero for years -not whilst running but before and after . Even to assist with hangovers ! The book seems to advise against ? Anyone try the hydration suggested by her? How much water do you drink a day . I find it difficult to to drink water - I drink loads of tea lol. I normally just drink when I’m thirsty which may not be enough . My pee is normally a grand color - when it’s not green from zero.

With regard to protein consumption does anyone use protein powder and if so which ones . How do you use it other than drinks . I’m loathe to add shakes to my diet other than for recovery - I don’t want to load extra calories and I don’t want to replace some nice food for a drink . I like food.

Any body got done good protein ball recipes for on the run ? I like the idea of fueling with yummy stuff - salty jam sandwiches don’t sound so appealing . The food / gel intake suggested anywhere always seems a bit high . Some friends live taking frozen mini mars bars with them on the run . No the healthiest I know but they swear it’s effective . I’ll be starting long runs where I’ll need fuel soon and want to get it right .

What do you use for recovery ?

I did read somewhere that Stacey Sims was lance Armstrong’s nutritionist - so that’s a worry !

Thanks in advance for advice !

Bluesquare wrote: »

With regard to protein consumption does anyone use protein powder and if so which ones . How do you use it other than drinks . I’m loathe to add shakes to my diet other than for recovery - I don’t want to load extra calories and I don’t want to replace some nice food for a drink . I like food.

So - I'm not really a runner, I lift heavy stuff. I also eat a lot of meat - because I like it. Still though, I would struggle to take in the 'recommended' amount of daily protein needed for muscle recovery.

I don't like shakes either. When I take protein, it's usually at breakfast, a scoop in my porridge or mixed into O% fat Greek yogurt which I have with berries & chia seed. I use unflavoured.

I also take BCAA's in my drink while/after training, and add some electrolytes if I'm going for a long run.

I pick them up from myprotein.ie who nearly always have discounts

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/essential-bcaa-2-1-1/10529280.html - beware - some can be sickly sweet
    Any body got done good protein ball recipes for on the run ? I like the idea of fueling with yummy stuff - salty jam sandwiches don’t sound so appealing . The food / gel intake suggested anywhere always seems a bit high . Some friends live taking frozen mini mars bars with them on the run . No the healthiest I know but they swear it’s effective . I’ll be starting long runs where I’ll need fuel soon and want to get it right .
    I've lately discovered I'm allergic to nuts (haven't refined it more than that yet). I already have a gluten intolerance. I'm also searching for a new protein snack recipe, as mine have been heavily nut based.

I did bring dried figs on some long runs last year, they are pretty energy dense.

annapr wrote: »
    Maybe ask someone in the gym to do a starter program for you and show you how everything works... that's what I did and started off on pathetically low weights (now slightly less pathetically low)... but it's amazing how fast your muscles adapt and it really does help, especially at the end of long runs.

I've been checking out the personal trainers at my gym and I'm just trying to decide who best to approach to help me with my training.

I like the idea of fueling with yummy stuff - salty jam sandwiches don’t sound so appealing . The food / gel intake suggested anywhere always seems a bit high . Some friends live taking frozen mini mars bars with them on the run . No the healthiest I know but they swear it’s effective . I’ll be starting long runs where I’ll need fuel soon and want to get it right .
    I like dates stuffed with a little bit of nut butter, tasty and you get both carbs and a bit of salt (if you use salted peanut butter) so it covers the bases she's talking about I think. Plus, tasty! I can't remember exactly but I think about 3 dates is equivalent to a gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

I like dates stuffed with a little bit of nut butter, tasty and you get both carbs and a bit of salt (if you use salted peanut butter) so it covers the bases she's talking about I think. Plus, tasty! I can't remember exactly but I think about 3 dates is equivalent to a gel.

I love that. And I never considered it but you could freeze them then bring with you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sounds yum ! Where do you get the dates? . The ones in marks are awesome - I’ll have to try and get there ! Beginning to sound like a picnic rather than a long run !

juke wrote: »
    So - I'm not really a runner, I lift heavy stuff. I also eat a lot of meat - because I like it. Still though, I would struggle to take in the 'recommended' amount of daily protein needed for muscle recovery.

I don't like shakes either. When I take protein, it's usually at breakfast, a scoop in my porridge or mixed into O% fat Greek yogurt which I have with berries & chia seed. I use unflavoured.

I also take BCAA's in my drink while/after training, and add some electrolytes if I'm going for a long run.

I pick them up from myprotein.ie who nearly always have discounts

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/essential-bcaa-2-1-1/10529280.html - beware - some can be sickly sweet

I've lately discovered I'm allergic to nuts (haven't refined it more than that yet). I already have a gluten intolerance. I'm also searching for a new protein snack recipe, as mine have been heavily nut based.

I did bring dried figs on some long runs last year, they are pretty energy dense.

How did you discover your nut allergy? hope it’s not too bad . I stocked myself up with Greek yogurt and chia seeds and found a random kinetica whey protein in dunnes when I was there - thought I’d try it for starters ! Thanks for your help

How did you discover your nut allergy? hope it’s not too bad . I stocked myself up with Greek yogurt and chia seeds and found a random kinetica whey protein in dunnes when I was there - thought I’d try it for starters ! Thanks for your help

Trial and error.

I developed a really ichy red rash around my eye last last November, I assumed it was from makeup/remover or creams. It got worse, spread down around my nose. Dr. told me it was Perioral Dermititus, gave me anti-biotics & steroid cream. Told me it was probably food related.

It got worser :(. Dr. referred me to a dermatologist. Finally in May, while waiting for an appointment, and after much googling, I started an 'elimination diet' - basically cutting out all fun from my diet (seriously, google it :o), until I noticed an improvement.

I introduced different foods gradually - but I quickly decided it was dairy or nuts. I think it being nuts is the lesser of 2 evils, but I'm pretty devastated. Nutella was my holiday breakfast treat and peanut butter & banana on toast my staple breakfast for long runs last year, I used coconut oil for cooking and nut flours in place of wheat flour.

The rash has almost cleared up, but can flare up within a few hours of eating something stray, I have to be careful with labels. A lot of chocolate bars say 'may contain nuts'. I'll have to refine it down to different types of nut at some point - but I'm happy I've saved on the dermatologist's fee :)

My gluten intolerance is not digestive - it manifests as an lumpy rash around my ankles. I risk it for the odd pizza. A lumpy face isn't worth nutella :pac:

• Advertisement

Best of luck - hope you enjoy. I add a scoop (25g) to c. 100g yogurt, but really, it comes down to taste.

Advertisement