Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running issues specific to women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I listened to an interesting podcast recently - on how the reduction of oestrogen in peri-menopausal women can cause a myriad of symptoms that are often mis-diagnosed.

https://sigmanutrition.com/episode279/

It start about 9 minutes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Thanks Ariana

I don’t think it’s giving me an edge at the moment because impossible to track or know what my hormones are doing . For peri menopausal women there seems to be zero edge !!

Coming up to the marathon my body was playing ball and I seemed to have regular cycles with no crazy hormonal issues - no days were runs were very difficult - I was taking all supplements recommended in roar.

My period arrived 3 days After the marathon 10 days early , then disappeared for a day or two and came back for five day’s when it should have been due . Now it’s back again after another 10 days with full on PMT everytime .

Has this happened to anyone else . My running feels hard at the moment and I’m only running easy.

That does sound rough. I don't know much about peri-menopause but it seems to be the new buzz word among my peer group but some reason :o I've noticed changes in the last year but the changes are consistent so very manageable for now. It's weird but a decade ago when i was trying to conceive my kids i had completely erratic & very long cycles (100 days + kind of thing) and ended up needing fertility treatment, now that i'm no longer bothered about ovulation or any of that i have a clockwork cycle most of the time :rolleyes: I'm rambling I'd suggest visiting your GP if it goes on as it could impact your iron levels! And fyi my running feels hard at the moment too but i've had a couple of viruses this past month - could it be anything like that? Also you are possibly still recovering from DCM and the physical and mental slog of that training block? Mind yourself x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

November is always a bad month as well . I might just get my bloods checked to make sure nothing weird or wonderful is going on . My iron is borderline once I’m running and I take ferrograd C everyday so I’d be surprised if it was low.

It’s good to be able to discuss this stuff as the girls I run with have their heads buried firmly in the ground and despite over whelming evidence to the contrary refuse to believe it’s not all mind over matter!

In mountain running I think women can be better at running uphill than down, as in I know a few who will match physically stronger men going up, only to be overhauled on a descent. Not sure is physical, bone density, pelvic mechanics. Or psychological, adverse to risk. Or all just my subjective opinion with no basis in fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

In mountain running I think women can be better at running uphill than down, as in I know a few who will match physically stronger men going up, only to be overhauled on a descent. Not sure is physical, bone density, pelvic mechanics. Or psychological, adverse to risk. Or all just my subjective opinion with no basis in fact!

I don't know (in my case) about downhill on mountains, because I haven't done a lot of mountain running, but I think I'm ok at descending on roads / trails. In the Stook recently, I was 74th finisher, but 48th fastest 'flying-mile' - that's the timed sharp downhill between miles 8 & 9 - which means there were 26 people who ran faster than me overall, but ran slower than me on the downhill. (I know that doesn't prove anything, i just thought it was interesting to have numbers on it, in that race at least).

Generally I'd find I pass people on the downhills. I thought it was maybe because I'm not that tall, so I don't have the fear of toppling forward a tall man would have? So i always thought women would be better at descending?

• Advertisement

And another query for women - you know short, tight shorts (not like tiny racing briefs, just like short tights) -- I can never work out WHY they creep up my legs. are they too big or too small? And apart from getting more athletic legs, is there anything I can do to make them stay put.

I always like the length when I first put them on, but by the end of a race they've crept up and got shorter!

Sorry I seem to be constantly posting here this week!
    Just a note to say Brooks have 30% off sports bras for Black Friday
    https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_gb/womens-juno-sports-bra/350071.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

HelenAnne wrote: »
    And another query for women - you know short, tight shorts (not like tiny racing briefs, just like short tights) -- I can never work out WHY they creep up my legs. are they too big or too small? And apart from getting more athletic legs, is there anything I can do to make them stay put.

I always like the length when I first put them on, but by the end of a race they've crept up and got shorter!

This also happens me! Would love to figure this out too :pac:

ReeReeG wrote: »
    This also happens me! Would love to figure this out too :pac:

Opposite problem this time of year my running tights keep slipping down and i have to pull them up... I can't figure out if they are too big or too small or just crap quality - poor elastic that won't stay put :o I hate running tights anyhow and try to avoid as much as possible but maybe it's because i haven't found the right ones. I love shorts and don't have too much issue with them riding up - i tend to wear the 2 in 1 style like these but i have every variety really and find them all so much more comfortable & less annoying than running tights :(

And fwiw HA i can't imagine your legs are anything but athletic already!

ariana` wrote: »

And fwiw HA i can't imagine your legs are anything but athletic already!

I think, like most people, different bits of me are different sizes relative to each other - like one bit of me might be xx size in clothes, and another bit bigger or smaller. That's definitely what I find when it comes to getting jeans that fit right etc!

• Advertisement

I think, like most people, different bits of me are different sizes relative to each other - like one bit of me might be xx size in clothes, and another bit bigger or smaller. That's definitely what I find when it comes to getting jeans that fit right etc!

Yip i think we're all like that, jeans are a nightmare trying to get that perfect fit. I'm still wearing a pair that are 5 yrs old because they fit nicely and my many attempts to replace them have failed, it's a costly business too.

Yip i think we're all like that, jeans are a nightmare trying to get that perfect fit. I'm still wearing a pair that are 5 yrs old because they fit nicely and my many attempts to replace them have failed, it's a costly business too.

I know this is OT for a running forum (so I promise I'll post something running-related straight after), but after years of wearing lower waisted jeans, I'm currently finding the Penney's high-waisted skinny jeans really great. They have a bit of stretch, and they seem to fit people like me who have bigger hips than waist. *non run-related bit over :)*

Run-related bit:

Like Bluesquare's friends (see above) I don't really seem to have any female-related running issues (apart from my shorts problem above, and my constant resentment that men can run faster than me without training as much :)) - I suppose I'm just lucky (so far) that I haven't noticed any hormonal issues etc). But I do think it's great that these issues are being investigated - most exercise (& loads of health!) science was based on testing on men before now.

I used to listen to this podcast before it went on hiatus (& it's BACK now, hurray!) & I remember this episode from a few years ago being v interesting on REDS etc - one thing that interested me in it was how individual the whole thing was - some women could have fertility problems etc at a weight / body fat level that wouldn't be problematic for another woman. Anyway, I think it's worth a listen:

https://runningonom.com/podcast-212/

Opposite problem this time of year my running tights keep slipping down and i have to pull them up... I can't figure out if they are too big or too small or just crap quality - poor elastic that won't stay put :o I hate running tights anyhow and try to avoid as much as possible but maybe it's because i haven't found the right ones. I love shorts and don't have too much issue with them riding up - i tend to wear the 2 in 1 style like these but i have every variety really and find them all so much more comfortable & less annoying than running tights :(

I got these last summer in Uniqlo in London. After I'd bought them I thought 'Oh no, they're too warm', but actually I've been wearing them lately running in to work on cold mornings & I LOVE them. They have no pockets, but otherwise perfect - really comfortable, high waist, never slip down etc etc. I'd really recommend them:

https://www.uniqlo.com/eu/en/product/women-airism-soft-leggings-418435.html?dwvar_418435_color=COL68&dwvar_418435_size=SMA001&cgid=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Looking for a sports bra recommendation...

All the sports bras I have have racers backs on them. But I'm finding lately with some of them that it hurts a little on my shoulders and the lower back of my neck. I feel like I'm trying to yank them back a bit. Maybe it's not helped by the fact that my posture probably isn't great lately and maybe I'm slumping my shoulders more forward than I should be.

Are there any sports bras out there that are not racer back? I'm a small chest (34A) but I do like decent support.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

All the sports bras I have have racers backs on them. But I'm finding lately with some of them that it hurts a little on my shoulders and the lower back of my neck. I feel like I'm trying to yank them back a bit. Maybe it's not helped by the fact that my posture probably isn't great lately and maybe I'm slumping my shoulders more forward than I should be.

Are there any sports bras out there that are not racer back? I'm a small chest (34A) but I do like decent support.

All my shockabsorbers have a second (higher) clip at the back that turns them into a racerback. You could try the shockabsorber but just not fasten the second clip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Choc Chip wrote: »
    All my shockabsorbers have a second (higher) clip at the back that turns them into a racerback. You could try the shockabsorber but just not fasten the second clip?

I also recommend shock absorbers (link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00368CLV4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1). You can unhook the top clip/ or close it before you put it on....

I used to have an aversion to racer-back before, but really like this shock absorber model :)

Edited to add: the best place to buy Shock Absorber bras is on amazon.co.uk. You can get some of the brighter colour combos for relatively cheap when compared to the likes of Lifestyle Sports or Elverys. Also you might need to buy a few variations in size to get the best fit.... I did this and was able to return the ones which were not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks Choc Chip and Small Teapot - that style looks like what I need.

I had a spy at Elverys - my god the price is saucy. Will try Amazon and see if that's any better on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

I got a few decent bras in Aldi & Lidl that close like a normal bra and are really comfy. Like you i'd be a small but the support in them is really good plus they are very reasonably priced. I know they are not available all year round but good to keep an eye out for them.

Shock Absorber are also very reasonable here if they have your size!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Yellowboglady

Try wiggle.co.uk for shock absorbers as well if you dont care too much about colour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm back, with a shorts update :)

I've just watched all of 'Cheer' on Netflix (SO GOOD!! It's about competitive cheerleading - what athletes.)

But anyway, there's nothing wrong with any of those girls' legs, and still you see them pulling down the legs of their shorts / fixing them etc after every stunt. So I conclude that it's the shorts' fault and we all just have to live with them riding up a bit if we move at all.

Case closed :)

(Also, I got 2 pairs of yoga shorts recently from Tikiboo - https://www.tikiboo.co.uk/ -) I really like them. I tried two sizes and I THINK the smaller one is better for not creeping up.

They have really great patterns, and for those of you who like longer shorts, they have running ones that are 6 or 7 inches, plus loose shorts (I just like the shorter ones because I have really short legs)

When I interviewed Lizzie Lee at the beginning of last year for an article about strength training, she really stressed the importance of coming back slowly after having babies, and making sure your core / pelvic floor etc are ready. She worked with a women's physio:

'National Marathon champion and Olympian Lizzie Lee stresses the importance of strengthening your body postpartum, in order to safely return to exercise. After giving birth to her children she started with very easy mobility and balance work for about twenty minutes a day. 'At first, the heaviest weight I lifted was a carton of milk. The strength and conditioning work I did had very small weights and was mainly about rebuilding my balance and pelvic floor. Once I started back running after about six weeks, I kept up three strength sessions a week, very gradually building up the weights.' Even now that she's back running at elite level she recommends strength and conditioning to runners, saying, 'Before I started S&C I was quite prone to injury and niggles. Now that I have a specific programme tailored to my goal races I no longer have injury problems.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I've just watched all of 'Cheer' on Netflix (SO GOOD!! It's about competitive cheerleading - what athletes.)

But anyway, there's nothing wrong with any of those girls' legs, and still you see them pulling down the legs of their shorts / fixing them etc after every stunt. So I conclude that it's the shorts' fault and we all just have to live with them riding up a bit if we move at all.

(Also, I got 2 pairs of yoga shorts recently from Tikiboo - https://www.tikiboo.co.uk/ -) I really like them. I tried two sizes and I THINK the smaller one is better for not creeping up.

They have really great patterns, and for those of you who like longer shorts, they have running ones that are 6 or 7 inches, plus loose shorts (I just like the shorter ones because I have really short legs)

I actually wear yoga shorts from Athleta to run in and love them. The only downside is the material can be a bit warm in the summer.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I loved Cheer too, such good suspend your brain viewing! :D

I wanted to love the longer Tikiboo running shorts, but they have a seam that sits in a really uncomfortable place for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

what kind of strength training would you all be doing and do you have particular sets and routines? I'm not a member of a gym but there's one near me that's PAYG and reasonably priced.

I have some free weights and bands at home I guess they'd be better than nothing if I could motivate myself to use them

julyjane wrote: »
    what kind of strength training would you all be doing and do you have particular sets and routines? I'm not a member of a gym but there's one near me that's PAYG and reasonably priced.

I have some free weights and bands at home I guess they'd be better than nothing if I could motivate myself to use them

I do Pilates class one a week (and try to do a bit of practice in between) - mainly body weight stuff (with a few light weights), planks, side planks, push ups, squats and a lot of core stuff and balance. It's only an hour a week, with the odd bit in between, but it seems to keep me ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Can any of ye wonderful women recommend at 10k plan? I completed the C25K and ran my first 5k last weekend in 32.12.
    I aim to run the 10k night run in Dublin in April and looking for a plan. Preferably 2 runs midweek and long run at weekends. I do pitch sport 1/2 days a week also

Can any of ye wonderful women recommend at 10k plan? I completed the C25K and ran my first 5k last weekend in 32.12.
    I aim to run the 10k night run in Dublin in April and looking for a plan. Preferably 2 runs midweek and long run at weekends. I do pitch sport 1/2 days a week also

• Advertisement

Advertisement