Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty and her unicorns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,709 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    So...was the bra burning of the 60s an incitement to violence against boobs?

Or was it a symbolic gesture, a protest against a perceived oppression..

(Note: your answer will determine how well your head is screwed on )
    recedite wrote: »

Do you think many of Gemma's followers have their own hijabs to burn? You're really not kidding anyone here, so I'm not sure why you'd bother to kid yourselves.

Is she encouraging her gemmaroids to attack Muslim women here?
    How else could they get hijabs that they see to burn them?

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Has she had a wee stroke?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Brilliant piece very directly at Gemma. She’ll be onto her lawyer any minute no doubt

https://twitter.com/ciarantierney/status/1162625124505456640?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Brilliant piece very directly at Gemma. She’ll be onto her lawyer any minute no doubt

https://twitter.com/ciarantierney/status/1162625124505456640?s=21

And the usual high brow comments by the gemtards:pac:

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It’s our duty to hate...
    If you say so, dude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

^ Nothing brilliant about that piece. Its little more than rabble rousing rhetoric.

Back on topic though - I'd like to see Gemma O'Doherty on a national TV debate
    with people of opposing views. She (and the likes of Farage etc) have interesting things to say about the poor state of Europe, unchecked immigration and the decline of culture.

Or if not Gemma, somebody else with similar views. Interesting that we don't get to hear from that side of the fence unless its the Catholic Church.

But it won't happen because the issues are too complex for TV and social media. So we'll have to put up with simple minded people crying racist, fascist etc..anytime a conservative viewpoint is offered.

I remember Marine LePen was once treated with the same hostility as Gemma. Their views are broadly similar. And look at her now..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

If you say so, dude.

So this is the 6th or 7th time you've popped back into this thread after running away from points.

Why are you so invested in defending someone who at best is a delusional conspiracy theorist?

^ Nothing brilliant about that piece. Its little more than rabble rousing rhetoric.

with people of opposing views. She (and the likes of Farage etc) have interesting things to say about the poor state of Europe, unchecked immigration and the decline of culture.

Or if not Gemma, somebody else with similar views. Interesting that we don't get to hear from that side of the fence unless its the Catholic Church.

But it won't happen because the issues are too complex for TV and social media. So we'll have to put up with simple minded people crying racist, fascist etc..anytime a conservative viewpoint is offered.

I remember Marine LePen was once treated with the same hostility as Gemma. Their views are broadly similar. And look at her now..

Gemma has been invited on to numerous shows both tv and radio and has refused or ignored all invitations.

Think about why that might be? This is the same woman claiming she’s being silenced bear in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Gemma has been invited on to numerous shows both tv and radio and has refused or ignored all invitations.

Think about why that might be? This is the same woman claiming she’s being silenced bear in mind

And runs like a hare whenever she is door stopped in a similar fashion to that which she is so fond of.

If you want to ask questions and screech over any attempt to reply, at least have the self awareness to understand that when the same is attempted on you...
    That it's not abuse, it's apparently a valid and successful journalistic tactic ;)

Views such as chemtrails being real and mass shootings being fake?

• Advertisement

Just to add, there is a case to be made for worries like immigration and corporate takeovers and conservative points of view. Any healthy society should and does have those conversations.

Do you really think Gemma o Doherty is the person to be the face of that?
    She’s undoing any and all legitimate concerns about the aforementioned.

Can you see that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

with people of opposing views. She (and the likes of Farage etc) have interesting things to say about the poor state of Europe, unchecked immigration and the decline of culture..
    So would I, but who's going to host it, and who would be prepared to discuss the subject matter in a reasonable and fair way?
    RTE would only be interested in doing a hatchet job on her.
    It would end up like the BBC's Panodrama episode.

You mean views like those we heard from blowhard Casey during his failed election runs? Or those we heard from the bould Hermann on TV3 and Newstalk? Or those heard from Katie Hopkins on the Late Late?

Yeah, they're all dreadfully silenced, aren't they?

Just to add, there is a case to be made for worries like immigration and corporate takeovers and conservative points of view. Any healthy society should and does have those conversations.

Do you really think Gemma o Doherty is the person to be the face of that?
    She’s undoing any and all legitimate concerns about the aforementioned.

Can you see that?

I don't see that at all. I see her employing a media strategy similar to Farage and Trump which aims to keep her in the headlines but underneath the controversial statements and headline grabbers, she is just a common or garden conservative attempting to fill a power vacuum left by the Catholic Church.

Lots of conservative people out there who value their Christian and cultural heritage but the Church no longer speaks for them.

You're up late. Isn't this the middle of the night in Japan, in the ghetto :D
    And dodged again.
    You are doing wonders for the credibility of yourself and your side.

(The time in Japan is very easy to look up btw.)

I don't see that at all. I see her employing a media strategy similar to Farage and Trump which aims to keep her in the headlines but underneath the controversial statements and headline grabbers, she is just a common or garden conservative attempting to fill a power vacuum left by the Catholic Church.

Lots of conservative people out there who value their Christian and cultural heritage but the Church no longer speaks for them.
    She's missing her objectives by a long way if she's aiming to keep in the headlines. The only headlines arose with the counter-protest.

So she’s catching a wave to inflame hate and racism in order to fulfil her Irish Katie Hopkins cosplay fantasy, basically.
    Runs away from any serious debate but happy to cause a stink online cos she goes unchallenged.

This person is fvckin very obviously mentally unwell. Anyone agreeing with her probably is too

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nah... Marine LePen is not as crazy as Gemma at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So would I, but who's going to host it, and who would be prepared to discuss the subject matter in a reasonable and fair way?
    RTE would only be interested in doing a hatchet job on her.
    Like perhaps pointing out she believes in chemtrails and fake school shootings and other such conspiracy theories...

It's weird you guys want her representing you and your beliefs...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

She isnt merely a common or garden conservative at all. She has allied herself with far right fascists and racists like Justin Barrett and Grand Torino. She constantly spouts off the wall ludicrous conspiracy theories as well as extreme far right racist positions.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

They aren’t actually chemtrails. They’re smoke trails to show African migrants which way to go to get to Europe.

I seen it on de YouTube. It must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,623 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gemma is a bargain bin version. Shes a bargain bin person. Le Pen doesn't believe that Google and Microsoft are trying to block out the sun.

There also isn't a hope of Gems appearing on a tv debate as she would be torn asunder. Same reason she won't end up on the stand in court as theres a certain level of disclosure she would have to adhere to and be exposed to.

Her Google protest was an embarrassing spectacular failure. Shes just a twitter warrior now. Lonely, angry and pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

with people of opposing views.
    She (and the likes of Farage etc) have interesting things to say about the poor state of Europe, unchecked immigration and the decline of culture.

She blocks anyone of "opposing views" on Facebook/Twitter, she refuses to engage with anyone who isnt agreeing with her and patting her on the back. The chances of her going on TV and actually having a debate with anyone is zero.

I agree - her foray into conspiracy theories is a risky gamble, but it's paid off for other alternative media figures.No doubt any attempt to engage her on national TV would focus on that and explaining a complex media strategy does not make for good tv...so that in itself would be a reason for her to decline an offer ( or not recieve one ) for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

b]

Peatys wrote: »
    b]

Oh god haha

All the players both teams are probably pedos and agents of the state. Any minute now.

Someone come and help this woman for her own sake. Meaning put her away on meds for the foreseeable

I agree - her foray into conspiracy theories is a risky gamble, but it's paid off for other alternative media figures.No doubt any attempt to engage her on national TV would focus on that and explaining a complex media strategy does not make for good tv...so that in itself would be a reason for her to decline an offer ( or not recieve one ) for the moment.
    So your suggestion here is that she's only using these mad theories to gain attention and doesn't genuinely believe them?

If that is the case, how it is better than her genuinely believing them.
    Surely it's worse?

And for what purpose? To promote her "real" theories?

Oh god haha

All the players both teams are probably pedos and agents of the state. Any minute now.

Someone come and help this woman for her own sake. Meaning put her away on meds for the foreseeable
    I like how she's brought it around to the evil Halal bread again.

King Mob wrote: »
    So your suggestion here is that she's only using these mad theories to gain attention and doesn't genuinely believe them?

If that is the case, how it is better than her genuinely believing them.
    Surely it's worse?

And for what purpose? To promote her "real" theories?

Yes. Conspiracy theories - from the ludicrous to the plausible - get a lot of traction on the internet. Using them to some degree will help drive engagement if they are of interest to your target market.

Its neither good or bad. No different than the Irish Times using analytics to determine that articles about property prices, housing crises, brexit etc, best Dublin cafes, get more clicks than Love Island opinions.

Over time, the data that people provide on what they're interested in provides a level of detail that makes content planning much more effective ( or targeted advertising if you're facebook/ google ). You should watch the Great Hack on Netflix for an idea of how powerful these tools can be.

And anyone providing content on the internet is using them, especially when the platforms are free.

• Advertisement

Its neither good or bad.

No, it's bad. Dishonestly presenting insane, untrue things as truth using your authority as a journalist is a bad thing.
    Doing this for profit is a bad thing.

She isn't writing about them from an objective point of view.
    She is not presenting them as "plausible" or a "maybe".
    She is presenting them as truth. Her followers are taking them as truth.
    This is called lying.

Also, it begs the question that if she's doing this for some of her claims, maybe she's doing it for all of her claims. And maybe, her mad racist comments are also just to "drive engagement".

Advertisement