Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

thethinker wrote: »
    So the dotted line on single carriage side of the road in the pic has become a continous white line. So if you are travelling on the side of the single carriage, stuck behind one of the many slow vehicles that haunt our roads, you are not allowed overtake, even if the two lanes coming the other way are empty?
    Ah in fairness it was a stupid move in the first place to have the broken line there.

It's a very short piece of road effected about 500m and going over and downhill a hill crest so it was only asking to encourage drivers to pass out when users on the other side might not be expecting a vehicle to cross into their overtaking lane.

Anyways BAM may be claiming that road.
    And good work to them!
    But I'm claiming that little bit of paint on that road. :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭smokie72

Drove the new N30 section from Scarawalsh roundabout earlier today. First thing I noticed is the speed limit is 100km/h as you would expect with a N road. Drove the old N11 Section or the R772 on my way back through Enniscorthy, Ferns and Camolin and they are noticeable quieter. In fact I thought both Ferns and Camolin were ghost towns in camparison to before. The 80km/h speed limit is too low for the old N11. That section should be 100km/h. I reckon I save between 15 and 20 minutes travelling from Dublin with the new bypass. Overall I'm happy with the bypass. Now if only Olygate was bypassed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

road_high wrote: »
    Great to see another major bottleneck consigned to the history books. Plenty more could do with the same and soon

Adare comes to mind

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

smokie72 wrote: »
    The 80km/h speed limit is too low for the old N11. That section should be 100km/h.
    If there are houses along it, then their needs need to be considered. They'd prefer traffic to pass at 80 not 100 as it would make less noise, reduce danger etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    If there are houses along it, then their needs need to be considered. They'd prefer traffic to pass at 80 not 100 as it would make less noise, reduce danger etc.
    The majority of the national road network has houses along it and is 100km/h, and some of that has no shoulders and is old legacy road.

The R772/old N11 is realigned, has hard shoulders, is not too busy and is wide and straight. It's a no brainer to put it back to 100km/h. Retaining an 80km/h limit simply because it's the default case for roads with white signs is daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

marno21 wrote: »
    The majority of the national road network has houses along it and is 100km/h, and some of that has no shoulders and is old legacy road.

The R772/old N11 is realigned, has hard shoulders, is not too busy and is wide and straight. It's a no brainer to put it back to 100km/h. Retaining an 80km/h limit simply because it's the default case for roads with white signs is daft.

I’d assume most of it will revert back. Needs the council to vote on it I think. Probably on hols for August. Lot of the N11 was upgraded early 90s or so and was a reasonable quality road

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They had to put up with it when it was the main N11 route with triple the traffic. Much safer now with lower volumes so no reason to lower the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

road_high wrote: »
    They had to put up with it when it was the main N11 route with triple the traffic. Much safer now with lower volumes so no reason to lower the limit

It's 80 kph from Clogh to Scarawalsh,it drops again at the BAM compound for obvious safety reasons but then it goes back to 100 kph for 4km into Blackstoops roundabout on the edge of Enniscorthy only for the limit to revert to 80kph at the other side of the town again to the roundabout at the Oylegate end of the M11 and back to 100kph once you go through said roundabout.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's 80 kph from Clogh to Scarawalsh,it drops again at the BAM compound for obvious safety reasons but then it goes back to 100 kph for 4km into Blackstoops roundabout on the edge of Enniscorthy only for the limit to revert to 80kph at the other side of the town again to the roundabout at the Oylegate end of the M11 and back to 100kph once you go through said roundabout.

The Scarawalsh-Enniscorthy section was technically N30 until the new link road opened this week, so presumably will be dropped to 80km/h by default shortly.

The Council will likely bring the whole lot up to 100km/h asap, and if they don't t they'll be pressurised into doing so sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Mother of Jesus in heaven spare us from the speed limit bullshît.. It's been done to death at this stage...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

That's enough about speed limits.

That's enough about speed limits.

Thank you.

Well the N30 section is open, still didn't get a chance to take a spin on it.

The boy racers are busy burning the tyres off their cars near the Ballydawmore interchange. The road is covered with the evidence of their late night diffing sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Anybody using the Oulart Rd to access Enniscorthy?
    They were expecting throngs of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

kneemos wrote: »

Heading to Blackwater I Did a split at junction 23 with one of my mates , he went ballycanew , I went m11 junction 25, he was right behind me ,Tuesday evening at around 4.30 , I couldn’t believe it but we both arrived into Blackwater village at the exact same time, except me behind him when he was slowed with a Lorry. I had myself convinced the motorway and the ballagh were 6 min quicker. So to answer your question I don’t think they’re overwhelmed with traffic by any stretch.

Big hold ups in Oylgate today. Thought they had it sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭jd

I think there wa sa funeral today in the village. I hope they didn't change the traffic lights back..

kneemos wrote: »

The signage sends cars along the N30 to Scarawalsh instead. Anyone unfamiliar with the road will go that way,locals will use the road through Finchogue.

The new N30 stretch is dead handy for anyone on the west of the town. There's still people getting confused by the roundabouts at Scarawalsh though, despite lanes being marked there's constant cutting off and terrible lane discipline on them,the opening of the new stretch has added to it. Nothing wrong with the road,just rank bad driving.
    It also has several new layers of rubber on it as the country chaps burn the tyres off their cars on it.

The new roundabout at Scarawalsh has already caught out someone. Despite a reduction in the speed limit because of the site compound, someone managed to drive through it and demolished one of the chevrons telling them to turn left.
    It's not as if the thing popped up out of the ground in front of the driver.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭jd

TBH Wexford drivers aren't the best. A few years ago on facepuke people were complaining (Wexford Mammys or Chemtrail observations pages, not sure which one ) that traffic lights with filter lane signalling were confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

jd wrote: »
    TBH Wexford drivers aren't the best. A few years ago on facepuke people were complaining (Wexford Mammys or Chemtrail observations pages, not sure which one ) that traffic lights with filter lane signalling were confusing!

Is this all of them? :-/

I've heard of one lad who ended up in the middle of a roundabout down near Rosslare. His excuse was "that wasn't there the last time I was on this road".
    Personally,I witnessed a fella drive the wrong way around one, there had previously been a contraflow on it. We managed to stop him before he met a grisly end under a truck. Same kind of excuse, "but I could drive that way this morning".
    Anyhow back on topic,with the schools back it's actually going to be quicker to use the new N30 section to get from one side of the town to the other despite the extra miles.

The roundabout at Blackstoops regularly had cars going straight over it and hundred metre skid marks from trucks approaching.

Someone eventually copped to put up proper signage.

The double effort at Scarwalsh must be mighty confusing for strangers.

The atrocious signage, particularly on the approach from the old N11 doesn't help matters at all. The sign just shows one roundabout when there's two, all very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Now to be honest I haven't driven on it, but to have those two roundabouts right on top of each other like that seems really daft.

Now to be honest I haven't driven on it, but to have those two roundabouts right on top of each other like that seems really daft.

There are plenty of places with double roundabouts but they're adequately signposted on approach, it isn't hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blindsider

Drove the road from Scarawalsh to Scoby and on to New Ross.

What a great road. No messing around in Enniscorthy at all - a pleasure to drive!

It's actually not hard to negotiate but some people just can't get their heads around how to use roundabouts.
    The road marking could be better but this is a thing all over the country. The lane marking telling you to use the right lane for the N30 can see you cutting someone off as you cross the left lane to get onto it whereas staying in the left hand lane is the correct way to negotiate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Hamnavoe17

Probably the topic for a new thread but whilst understanding the need to slow traffic entering, My thoughts on roundabouts is that the exits should be less sharp to allow smoother flow, Other hazards permitting of course.

Advertisement