Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Last Stop wrote: »
    How many times does it have to be said on multiple forums, if you don’t drive over the speed limit, you don’t have a problem.

The road is now a regional road so has a speed limit of 80kmph as is standard on the majority of regional roads in Ireland.

If you want to to drive over 80kmph, there is a brand spanking new road which is 100 times safer to drive on.

If you’re driving at a certain speed because you “automatically” drive at that speed then you are not paying attention to the road and the speed van is the least of your worries.

To finish my point, while the drop in speed may feel excessive the difference in survival rates between a collision at 80kmph vs 100kmph justifies the drop in the limit.

I'm well aware of the law regarding speed, I don't need patronising lectures.
    I was merely pointing out what peoples' perceptions were and why the subject was being broached and the reality of what happened in other circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sunday will see the largest volume of traffic so far on the road as thousands head to Croke park. Loch Garman Abu. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

morrga wrote: »
    Could they just change the old N11 to the N80 thus allowing the right speed limit to be restored.

That would require a statutory instrument and transfer the maintenance liability to TII and also be completely illogical in terms of numbering. So no.

Local paper says that the rest of the N30 section will be open on 31 July or possibly a few days earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

Traveling down the N80 tomorrow heading for Gorey. Normally turn off at Ballycarney and head for Ferns. Would it make sense now to stay on the N80 until it joins the M11 motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭CoBo55

majo wrote: »
    Traveling down the N80 tomorrow heading for Gorey. Normally turn off at Ballycarney and head for Ferns. Would it make sense now to stay on the N80 until it joins the M11 motorway?

Or just come as far as Scarawalsh and take the old N11 it's practically empty at this stage. That road from Ballycarney is lethal.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Or just come as far as Scarawalsh and take the old N11 it's practically empty at this stage. That road from Ballycarney is lethal.
    Thank you. But is it possible to join the motorway at the end of the N80?

Thank you. But is it possible to join the motorway at the end of the N80?

Yep, just take the second exit from the roundabout, that puts you on the link road to the ballydawmore interchange, keep left for Gorey ( first exit) you're just wanting a gawk aren't you? It's a lovely drive in fairness not as monotonous as the Gorey bypass.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Yep, just take the second exit from the roundabout, that puts you on the link road to the ballydawmore interchange, keep left for Gorey ( first exit) you're just wanting a gawk aren't you? It's a lovely drive in fairness not as monotonous as the Gorey bypass.
    😀😀. Thanks for info - appreciate your help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 thethinker

Assuming your starting point is much earlier than Ballycarney, I don't know how you chose your normal route? Kildavin-Carnew-Gorey would likely have been and continue to be the fastest route for you.

Thanks. Actually travelling from Carlow direction. In the past I’ve gont the n80 and turned off at Ballycarney. I know via Carnew is quicker but I prefer the better roads.
    Intend tomorrow trying that route down towards the M11 junction you spoke about. Am not in a hurry so don’t mind a few extra km on the road.
    Thanks for all your advice. Appreciate your local knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Now fully added to Google Maps. Except the bit south of J25 (I think) to Oilgate being labelled N11. That should be M11, right? I think some other roads incorrectly labelled N11 too. There'a quite a lot of N11!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Also not tied into the routing yet either. Even telling it to find a route between two points entirely on the new section, it sends you on other roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Yeah, and the old road hasn't been labelled R772 yet, either.

Mind you, it still has two A31's in the North, 4 years after Magherafelt was bypassed, so I wouldn't hold your breath..

Did anyone try driving it using the Here app, someone had a pic of the Here car mapping the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

Is there any updates on when the N 30 Link road s due to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

31st "or earlier"

All signage in place on the milehouse roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Vic_08 wrote: »
    It is a sop to the "speed kills" muppets, nothing more.

Speed does kill, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The speed limit is sixty at about half a mile before the roundabout at Oylgate I notice. Reduces to fifty after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

kneemos wrote: »
    The speed limit is sixty at about half a mile before the roundabout at Oylgate I notice. Reduces to fifty after that.

For the contemporaries/pedantics among us that would be a 60km/h limit at the standard 1km distance from the terminus.

Tailbacks from Oylegate to the M11 roundabout this evening as reported by AA roadwatch. All the commuter traffic and ferry traffic hitting it at the same time. There's always similar holdups on the Wexford ring road at peak times too in the evenings.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Drove it this evening - was quite impressed. It’s a lovely new stretch of road. Lots of great vistas of the rich Wexford countryside and all the arable crop fields of barley and the Blackstairs Mountains. :) The link road at J25 to Scarawalsh roundabout is a full DC too.

My only gripe is the same as some others in this thread share - the fact that it ends just short of Oilgate. Mind you, when I drove through at about 7.30pm there was no tailback.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    Speed does kill, though.

Speed doesn’t kill. Instant deceleration does.

And I don’t know how the “speed kills” mantra can be applied to a road which has had the speed limit reduced to 80km/h because of a road classification order. It’s that type of nonsense that makes motorists cynical about “road safety measures”.

If the N11 was able for 100km/h (many inappropriate 100 zones have been reduced to 80 now) it should retain its 100 limit. Same with other R roads that are capable of 100km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Drove it this evening - was quite impressed. It’s a lovely new stretch of road. Lots of great vistas of the rich Wexford countryside and all the arable crop fields of barley and the Blackstairs Mountains. :) The link road at J25 to Scarawalsh roundabout is a full DC too.

My only gripe is the same as some others in this thread share - the fact that it ends just short of Oilgate. Mind you, when I drove through at about 7.30pm there was no tailback.

Was down that way last night too and coming back around the same time was delayed for 3/4 mins at the traffic lights in Oylegate. During that time, one coach which looked to be full of oulwans going to Bingo, came out on the Slaney Inn side while 20/30 cars, buses, trucks sat on either side on the N11, obviously the brain cell in the Co. Council is still occupied elsewhere.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Was down that way last night too and coming back around the same time was delayed for 3/4 mins at the traffic lights in Oylegate. During that time, one coach which looked to be full of oulwans going to Bingo, came out on the Slaney Inn side while 20/30 cars, buses, trucks sat on either side on the N11, obviously the brain cell in the Co. Council is still occupied elsewhere.

I drove through it on Thursday evening no hold up at all, it was only as I passed through I realised the lights were off!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 thethinker

Marhay70 wrote: »

I wonder why it took 4 mins. The bus was hardly parked over the sensor that triggers the lights? Seems to be a lot of gombeenism going on in oilgate. The bypass has been in the works for years. Simple job to get right; but should have been done ages ago nevertheless.

Advertisement