Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

What did the 52 vote for?

To leave the EU

https://images.app.goo.gl/FRtcyNLSi1cm7uwW9

Those papers should be banned here and replaced with the sun , the Express and the telegraph for a fair and balanced print media

that's the thing, people decide what is fair and balanced base don their own views.

On Boards, the Guardian is held up as some sort of beacon of truth and light, when in reality, it is no less biased than the Telegraph, but because people like what it says, they take it as the truth.

People aren't fair and balanced, so therefore the press isn't, because it wants to sell papers (or get likes and shares these days). The Sun knows that shoclking headlines work, the Irish papers know that some headline that slags off the British is almost guaranteed to be quoted on social media and shared, driving up traffic.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Since it's manifestly (apparently) the will of the people why not go again and get more than a 4% margin?
    Wouldn't that shut up the so-called 'Remoaners' once and for all?

They can moan all they want, democracy has spoken, there is nothing that will change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,521 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Aegir wrote: »
    that's the thing, people decide what is fair and balanced base don their own views.

On Boards, the Guardian is held up as some sort of beacon of truth and light, when in reality, it is no less biased than the Telegraph, but because people like what it says, they take it as the truth.

People aren't fair and balanced, so therefore the press isn't, because it wants to sell papers (or get likes and shares these days). The Sun knows that shoclking headlines work, the Irish papers know that some headline that slags off the British is almost guaranteed to be quoted on social media and shared, driving up traffic.

And posters only seem to see The Guardian posted, when in fact we get material from all over Europe posted.

But that doesn't suit the 'poor me' narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,100 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

the two aren't mutually exclusive you know.

How do you think it will work and to who's advantage will it work overall?

They can moan all they want, democracy has spoken, there is nothing that will change it.

Over 3 years, they still haven't managed to leave. Not a very democratic place the UK?

And posters only seem to see The Guardian posted, when in fact we get material from all over Europe posted.

But that doesn't suit the 'poor me' narrative.

You fantastically missed the point Francis.

You fantastically missed the point Francis.

I never miss your 'poor me and the UK' points Aegir.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,100 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Over 3 years, they still haven't managed to leave. Not a very democratic place the UK?

Be fair, that's 3 years where they are in the process of leaving and still get all the benefits of being part of the EU. Pretty sweet deal.

If I were Johnson I'd string it out as long as feasibly possible to take advantage of EU membership and keep the economy going before I call an election. Chances are the economy will dip for a good while after leaving the EU so hold an election while he's been PM for 6 months and before the economy dips. Sensible politics if you ask me.

• Advertisement

How do you think it will work and to who's advantage will it work overall?

The obvious solution (other than staying in the Eu) is to have a trade deal with both.

The free trade fans would argue that the uk can negotiate a deal that is tailored to the uk market, not dependent on the agreement of a group of farmers in Belgium. I can see their pint, but I’m not sure if it is that much of an advantage to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

That's why following through on the people's vote is of utmost importance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

So you don't have any actual argument why there shouldn't be another referendum then.

Just more pointless and meaningless 'catchphrases'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Those papers should be banned here and replaced with the sun , the Express and the telegraph for a fair and balanced print media

Promise me that the t's will leave on Oct 31st with no deal

What did the 52 vote for?

To leave the EU

https://images.app.goo.gl/FRtcyNLSi1cm7uwW9
    Why are they still here?

Be fair, that's 3 years where they are in the process of leaving and still get all the benefits of being part of the EU. Pretty sweet deal.

If I were Johnson I'd string it out as long as feasibly possible to take advantage of EU membership and keep the economy going before I call an election. Chances are the economy will dip for a good while after leaving the EU so hold an election while he's been PM for 6 months and before the economy dips. Sensible politics if you ask me.

If Johnson had been at the tiller, maybe.

But the UK has self imploded, full stop.

Since it's manifestly (apparently) the will of the people why not go again and get more than a 4% margin?
    Wouldn't that shut up the so-called 'Remoaners' once and for all?

But 3 years on they still haven't left is there a problem finding the door

That's why following through on the people's vote is of utmost importance.

It was followed through. Art 50 was invoked, a deal was done. And they are fighting among themselves and will probably never leave.

Promise me that the t's will leave on Oct 31st with no deal

The T’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Under what terms did the 52% vote to leave the EU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

Surely the one thing that should be able to change a democratic decision, is more democracy? Maybe another vote, this time more informed, by the same electorate?

Perhaps you just want Brexit to happen regardless of democracy? I assume you believe that a second referendum would probably result in a remain result. So you demand that democracy be frozen in time, to preserve the result you prefer.

Not democratic at all, but understandable, as it's probably the only way the minority who now want Brexit will ever get their undemocratic wish.

It's the first letter of a word used to describe the brits

The T’s?

Probably means "Tans" - not funny and not nice, and I really don't like that term in this forum, but there you go.

Cop yourself on Declan. No need for that nonsense.

Cop yourself on Declan. No need for that nonsense.
    De paffell can ask why Leo varadkar isn't called murphy like the rest of them but I have to be polite when referring to his people?

De paffell can ask why Leo varadkar isn't called murphy like the rest of them but I have to be polite when referring to his people?

Yes. Johnson isn't the same as "his people". They are people, just like you and me at the end of the day.

It isn't accurate, is the problem. It's just a cheap jibe.

So you don't have any actual argument why there shouldn't be another referendum then.

Just more pointless and meaningless 'catchphrases'

There is no argument as to why there should be another referendum, why would I have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

There is no argument as to why there should be another referendum, why would I have one?

What were the terms of the Brexit that the 52% voted for?

• Advertisement

Parliament is paralysed...what more reason is there for a people's vote. Maybe you think it should be the monarch who decides...democracy and all that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement