Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

First Up wrote: »
    Negotiations by who about what?

Exactly who you think about exactly what you think.

All this nonsense is just theatre. It doesn't matter what they say now. The negotiations will happen (or not) in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

sabat wrote: »
    I think the EU 27 should rescind the final month of the extension and boot them out at the end of September. It was only granted to allow them time to pass the deal, which they have reneged on. In fact I'd give give them until 13/9 at the G7 meeting then cackle with laughter at BJ as he begs to stay.

Disagree. This is all posturing in the lead up to the actual negotiations tha t will take place in the final few days before the deadline. Don't confuse this soap opera for the actual negotiations that will most likely only happen in the very last few days.
    I think negotiations ended a while ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The sooner they leave, the sooner they can rejoin. The fact that nearly 50% of voters wanted to remain in 2016 means they will be waiting for their next chance to rejoin. Leaving is literally the very beginning.

Kittykat67 wrote: »
    I know these things take time, but if you want in or out everyone is just fed up now.

Yeah but it's a negotiation. So its grand to try to fatigue the opposition. Nobody is negotiating with you or me so it doesn't matter that we're fed up. I've been saying all along that the negotiations will only happen close to t he e deadline. So don't bother watching the soap opera day to day because nothing will happen until the few days before the deadline.

It's just bout having something to write every day. If the news was honest it would tell you that nothing of consequences has happened since May last lost the vote on her deal.

Do you think anything of consequence has changed in the last few weeks (apart from BJ becoming PM).

Then you've been believing the day to day soap opera media coverage.

• Advertisement

Kittykat67 wrote: »
    I know these things take time, but if you want in or out everyone is just fed up now.

May the remainer is gone. The UK is leaving the EU. Operation twart democracy has failed.
    Good stuff, any chance ye mite go b4 Oct 31st

That's about as stupid a question as one could think of. Would you like to Remain or would you like a unicorn. When asked a relatively less stupid question in a opinion poll last week, 43% preferred Remain and 29% preferred a deal. Only 19% wanted to crash out. But carry on defending the ridiculous and the nonexistent.

Opinion polls are almost always wrong. What did every opinion poll say the day before the EU referendum? Why did the Brexit party do so well in recent elections if most people want to stay in the EU?
    I think you have bigger worries mate ur have a turk in charge of ur country and the Turkish army is taking over ur manufacturing industry. Smily face

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The sooner they leave, the sooner they can rejoin. The fact that nearly 50% of voters wanted to remain in 2016 means they will be waiting for their next chance to rejoin. Leaving is literally the very beginning.

Rejoining is extremely complicated. The terms of their joining would be more stringent than the WA anf every country will have a veto on their membership. Also they are now seen as untrustworthy and Europhobic. All of which means that if they do crash out it is unlikely they will rejoin for quite a few years.

Then you've been believing the day to day soap opera media coverage.
    Yep I have and I cant wait for the turk to lead his great country out of the EU with no deal,
    The EU wont renegotiate and cant be seen to renegotiate, Fine Gael wont and cant be seen to give an inch or they will be wiped out at the next g e, so it's going to be no deal

The telegraph is painting the Turkish army take over as a coup for the uk, dads army stuff again!
    Wait til the Turks tip off with the pension fund

• Advertisement

Yep I have and I cant wait for the turk to lead his great country out of the EU with no deal,
    The EU wont renegotiate and cant be seen to renegotiate, Fine Gael wont and cant be seen to give an inch or they will be wiped out at the next g e, so it's going to be no deal

Yeah no Deal is likely. And then it's a matter of whether the Turk can convince UK parliamentary to vote for no Deal. Maybe he can, maybe he can't, maybe there will be a GE with all the possibilities, maybe he will prorogue parliament. Who knows? Not me and not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

That's about as stupid a question as one could think of. Would you like to Remain or would you like a unicorn. When asked a relatively less stupid question in a opinion poll last week, 43% preferred Remain and 29% preferred a deal. Only 19% wanted to crash out. But carry on defending the ridiculous and the nonexistent.

So only 43% want to remain?? Despite all the "chicken little sky is falling if we leave" rhetoric, less people want to remain than did in the actual referendum??

I am sure someone will be able to explain this to show why the vast overwhelming majority of the UK population want to remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Ronin247 wrote: »
    So only 43% want to remain?? Despite all the "chicken little sky is falling if we leave" rhetoric, less people want to remain than did in the actual referendum??

I am sure someone will be able to explain this to show why the vast overwhelming majority of the UK population want to remain.

43% is quite close to 48%. Perhaps the findings of another poll might explain. Excluding don't knows (9%):

Remain: 42%
    Brexit with close alignment to the EU: 15%
    Brexit with a clear break: 43%

Note that this poll is from May 29th ever before the ERG's coup.This is also in the context of polls where the 2016 unicorn binary question (Leave or Remain) is asked again (last week):

Excluding don't knows (5%):

Remain 55%
    Leave: 45%

This constitutes a 7% swing from the unicorn referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ronin247 wrote: »

It depends on what the people who want a deal would want if there's no deal forthcoming. If a bit less than half of them would settle for remaining, even if only for a limited period until the UK gets its act together, then you have a majority for Remain in the no-deal scenario.

But that poll suggests that no matter what way the 'deal' people would go on a choice B, the people in favour of no-deal are still decidedly in the majority. Oh, yeah, if no-deal was the outcome, it would mean that Brexit was delivered, but delivered in a 'The Monkey's Paw' type of a way.

Today's Turkish story, as the above link-free mention lost me as well:

Turkish army pension fund to buy British Steel
    Turkey's military pension fund has reached a tentative deal to buy British Steel out of insolvency.

The Turkish Armed Forces Assistance Fund (known as Oyak) says it plans to take over British Steel, which employs 5,000 people, by the end of the year.

British Steel owns the Scunthorpe steel works where 3,000 people work and it employs another 800 on Teesside.

But the firm was put into compulsory liquidation in May after rescue talks with the government broke down.

Another 20,000 jobs in the supply chain were put at risk by the collapse of the talks between the government and British Steel's owner, Greybull, prompting a parliamentary inquiry...

Give it time and this Turkish bailout of a firm which the British themselves refused to bail out will be dressed up in xenophobic, jingoistic terminology which will blame the Turks!

What with the car companies and so much else in foreign ownership - and Brexit-supporting billionaires like James Dyson revealingly abandoning the UK for Singapore -, could somebody please tell me the strong point of the British economy in 2019?

Oh, it's financial services, is it? And upon what did Britain depend upon for London's role as the premier financial centre of the EU? Would the answer be... EU membership?

Brexit has all the shades of stupidity, ignorance, delusion, conceit and scapegoating covered. It really is the most comprehensive populist hoodwinking of an entire population since the period 1929-1941 in Germany, a population which also included very many enlightened, cultured and educated people. These things do not merely happen to "other people", which seems to be the underlying belief in Britain. All the fundamentals of Brexit are profoundly abysmal. It's a conjob of hideous proportions. The abyss is right there next to them.

Turkey's military pension fund has reached a tentative deal to buy British Steel out of insolvency.

The Turkish Armed Forces Assistance Fund (known as Oyak) says it plans to take over British Steel, which employs 5,000 people, by the end of the year.

British Steel owns the Scunthorpe steel works where 3,000 people work and it employs another 800 on Teesside.

But the firm was put into compulsory liquidation in May after rescue talks with the government broke down.

Another 20,000 jobs in the supply chain were put at risk by the collapse of the talks between the government and British Steel's owner, Greybull, prompting a parliamentary inquiry...

Give it time and this Turkish bailout of a firm which the British themselves refused to bail out will be dressed up in xenophobic, jingoistic terminology which will blame the Turks!

What with the car companies and so much else in foreign ownership - and Brexit-supporting billionaires like James Dyson revealingly abandoning the UK for Singapore -, could somebody please tell me the strong point of the British economy in 2019?

Oh, it's financial services, is it? And upon what did Britain depend upon for London's role as the premier financial centre of the EU? Would the answer be... EU membership?

Brexit has all the shades of stupidity, ignorance, delusion, conceit and scapegoating covered. It really is the most comprehensive populist hoodwinking of an entire population since the period 1929-1941 in Germany, a population which also included very many enlightened, cultured and educated people. These things do not merely happen to "other people", which seems to be the underlying belief in Britain. All the fundamentals of Brexit are profoundly abysmal. It's a conjob of hideous proportions. The abyss is right there next to them.
    Agree fully , I'd love to push them into it

I do find it ironic when you accuse people of being xenophobic.

Aegir wrote: »

I lived over there for 10 years they are a horrible race of people have you never wondered why nearly every country on earth hates them

I lived over there for 10 years they are a horrible race of people have you never wondered why nearly every country on earth hates them

And yet more xenophobia.

Care to elaborate with something more substantial (like verbatim quotes) than your very English nationalist prejudices, Aegir?

• Advertisement

And yet more xenophobia.
    An honest opinion from experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mattser

Will you accept HM's pension ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

mattser wrote: »

It would his pension if he worked and contributed during those ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,195 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

HM's pension??? WTF century are you living in mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

And yet you lived there for 10 years. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh no, it's such a terrible place, I possibly couldn't stand it, I've got the whole of Europe, Americas, Australias, Asia to go to but I guess I must stay here! :rolleyes:

I get the anti brit sentiment to a point, but jeez the way some people carry on makes you almost wish the brits would just close the doors to the likes of declan who would probably then whine for another reason.

hypocrite.

When someone calls 60m people a horrible race, it says far more about them than it does the 60m people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭dogbert27

And a majority of those people voted to maintain their status as part of the European Union. Their wishes are now being overthrown and they are being forced to leave the European Union against their wishes. There's your "Brexit democracy" in action, despite the UK's commitment in international law to respect the wishes of 'the majority in Northern Ireland'.

Good to see this morning that the powers that be over in the United States realise the magnitude of Britain's breaching of the GFA that Brexit entails:

Pelosi can derail any post-Brexit UK-US trade deal plans: White House trade pledge empty without backing from pro-Irish House Speaker

Exactly. It's a United Kingdom due to a monarchy. The queen of England and in a United Kingdom vote the majority view of the population of England will always defeat the wants and needs of the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish.

How is that democratic?

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Exactly. It's a United Kingdom due to a monarchy. The queen of England and in a United Kingdom vote the majority view of the population of England will always defeat the wants and needs of the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish.

How is that democratic?

It's Brexitocracy©.

Yep i will, I paid into it so I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't, but the uk could be broke by the time I'm pension age so I might not be able

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mattser

Yep i will, I paid into it so I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't, but the uk could be broke by the time I'm pension age so I might not be able

Good man yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement