Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

• 12-08-2019 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Discussion of all matters relating to this contentious subject is welcome and the potential implications of same.This thread is solely for this purpose.

There appears to be a perception that the moderators are attempting to shut down discussion of this topic and direct same off to a low traffic stickied thread.Nothing could be further from the truth.Our sole motive was to confine discussion to a single thread and prevent cross thread posting which was adversely affecting the enjoyment of fellow posters.

Can we please keep posts civil and constructive in nature.

The Changes in the GAA-super thread is now for discussion of all other suggested reforms not relating to Dublin GAA.

Extra Mod Warning:
    Right, a separate warning to both sides in this debate:
    Firstly, any more mentioning of "financial doping" or any intimation that rules have been broken by Dublin or that Dublin have cheated are banned from now on. You can debate the issue of the funding that Dublin have received without resorting to that. There is zero evidence of it and posting about it will be considered trolling from here on in.

Secondly, this topic is, like it or not, a big talking point in gaelic football at the moment. You are more than welcome to argue your point, but posting in this thread to simply mock those on the other side or complaining about the topic is known as thread spoiling and is specifically banned in the charter (see point 8 here). No one is forcing you to click on this thread and no one is forcing you to post in it. If you don't like the topic, then don't post. It's as simple as that.

This thread is here so that all the discussion is in one place and it won't filter into other threads. This makes it easier to ignore for posters who don't really want to be involved in it. As a result, we haven't really been moderating it as severely as other threads. However, a number of posts recently from both sides are sailing too close to the wind and getting borderline personal. So please take a minute before you hit submit to ensure that your post won't fall foul of the rules. We'll have no hesitation in issuing cards and/or threadbans to posters who fail to heed this warning.

Please report any posts that you feel break the rules.

Any questions, please feel free to PM the mods.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Dublin will win 10 in a row, football is ruined when there's a monster that cannot be beaten drumming out 10 point hidings to everyone else. I'm not sure how you fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dublin will win 10 in a row, football is ruined when there's a monster that cannot be beaten drumming out 10 point hidings to everyone else. I'm not sure how you fix it

Play the all Ireland football Final somewhere other than in Dublin. Take the home advantage away. If the final was in Killarney I'd have it a 50/50.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Play the all Ireland football Final somewhere other than in Dublin. Take the home advantage away. If the final was in Killarney I'd have it a 50/50.

It's not just home advantage. See what Chris Barrett has to go through to be part of the Mayo panel
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/mayo-s-chris-barrett-balancing-work-and-play-for-gaa-not-sustainable-any-more-1.3981640

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It's not just home advantage. See what Chris Barrett has to go through to be part of the Mayo panel
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/mayo-s-chris-barrett-balancing-work-and-play-for-gaa-not-sustainable-any-more-1.3981640

People having to commute is nothing to do with the GAA and there is nothing they can do about it. That’s just a pain for some players.

salmocab wrote: »
    People having to commute is nothing to do with the GAA and there is nothing they can do about it. That’s just a pain for some players.

They can make it semi-professional and start rewarding players in some way for their efforts

• Advertisement

They can make it semi-professional and start rewarding players in some way for their efforts

Amazingly this is exactly the thing that should be in the stickies thread that everyone gave out about as it’s nothing to do with Dublin

Amazingly this is exactly the thing that should be in the stickies thread that everyone gave out about as it’s nothing to do with Dublin

It's one of the many advantages the Dubs have that leads to this total dominance. Other counties need help to get to the professional level Dublin are at

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

It's one of the many advantages the Dubs have that leads to this total dominance

Why don't they dominate in hurling too or at least reach semi final stage

It's one of the many advantages the Dubs have that leads to this total dominance

It’s definitely an advantage and a big one but there is nothing that could be done about it. People live and work where they need to. This isn’t a GAA issue though.

Blueshoe wrote: »

I don't now, you tell me? Are you trying to deny there's a huge dominance in football or a multitude of advantages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

True but it's a factor. Dublin are dominant for a number of reasons.

Firstly they are incredibly well run as a GAA organisation and the senior football team specifically. Coupled with the competent management they have a huge player base relative to other counties. Even allowing for the primacy of rugby and soccer in some areas the player numbers are much larger than any other county providing a larger player pool with more depth.
    Due to the size of clubs a large number of them are able to field multiple teams this helps ensure club players are playing at or near the appropriate level which helps progression.

The player numbers have been helped by the growth of Dublin population overall but in the early 2000s the targeted development of the game in Dublin as a response to soccer and possibly rugby was very successful the fruits of which are being seen now and probably continuing. With the influx of people from outside of Dublin to the suburbs some newer families may have more GAA tendencies proportionately.

Being the biggest market in GAA means Dublin are very attractive and valuable for marketing and sponsorship. Both the GAA and Dublin themselves are aware of this and while Dublin make their own well worked deals they GAA get plenty of money into Central coffers. The money allows for development programmes and the best training treatment etc needed.

So Dublin has a strong and growing GAA culture, large and increasing population, the most resources and is well run on a macro level and everything directly related to on-field stuff. Basically once Dublin stay the course in terms of how they are run from the top down they should dominate football. It would need a few barren years talent-wise and a very good crop in another well run and financed county to challenge and even then Dublin's depth is ridiculous.

I don't now, you tell me? Are you trying to deny there's a huge dominance in football or unfair advantages?

Obviously they are dominating football now. But it won't last forever. Kerry have won the last 5 minor championships in a row and Dublin haven't won one since 2012. It's cyclical like most things.
    It will end eventually. Golden crop of players now.

Dont have the playerbase. Basically just colaiste eoin (might eb wrong on the school name) plays it I think, they are excellent though but at around 1400 students not enough. If the game takes off and it seems to be then I could see Dublin challenging very quickly. It will need to be in primary schools though and those player will need to come through to have players who had it from young enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Poll needed - how many in a row? :pac:

I'll go a tentative 10 for now. To be re-assessed in 3 years :)

As for the final. A conservative 8-10 point win prediction. Absolutely buzzing for it now :pac:

Dont have the playerbase. Basically just colaiste eoin (might eb wrong on the school name) plays it I think, they are excellent though but at around 1400 students not enough. If the game takes off and it seems to be then I could see Dublin challenging very quickly. It will need to be in primary schools though and those player will need to come through to have players who had it from young enough.

There are 16 senior hurling clubs in Dublin.

Obviously they are dominating football now. But it won't last forever. Kerry have won the last 5 minor championships in a row and Dublin haven't won one since 2012. It's cyclical like most things.
    It will end eventually. Golden crop of players now.

I'm not sure it'll fall off, we could easily see 10 in a row with the talent they have coming through year after year. That's going to cause issues, already is.

There are 16 senior hurling clubs in Dublin.

And the county team is improving but they are 16 Dublin senior clubs I don't know if that would be the same quality as other counties. Don't ballyboden dominate every year and have only recently started performing in Leinster. Depth is improving but not there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

And the county team is improving but they are 16 Dublin senior clubs I don't know if that would be the same quality as other counties. Don't ballyboden dominate every year and have only recently started performing in Leinster. Depth is improving but not there yet.

Well not exactly... Cuala won 2 all irelands in a row 2017 and 18!!

I'm not sure it'll fall off, we could easily see 10 in a row with the talent they have coming through year after year. That's going to cause issues, already is.

Boylesports will give you 12/1 on 10 in a row.
    No chance of it happening.

As I said Kerry have won 5 minor championships in a row. Dublin haven't won one since 2012.
    It's cyclical

Think cuala might have the quality of a lot of top clubs

• Advertisement

Your knowledge of Dublin hurling is outdated. No offense intended.

Ballyboden won in 2018 and hadn't won a championship for 5 years before that

As I said Kerry have won 5 minor championships in a row. Dublin haven't won one since 2012.
    It's cyclical

Ye'r like flat earthers!
    Dublin are a professional outfit. Don't think i'm knocking it, it's a credit to you. There's a need to put a huge focus on getting other counties to the same professional level as Dublin

jr86 wrote: »
    Well not exactly... Cuala won 2 all irelands in a row 2017 and 18!!

You're right, ballyboden haven't been dominant for a while. At any rate as I said they are improving at a county level. The question was why don't they dominate in hurling, I think playerbase and the age players start, the player numbers are improving but I do feel that you'll see a big upsurge when the guys who got a chance to play in primary come through. There are a lot more schools playing it now aren't there?

Your knowledge of Dublin hurling is outdated. No offense intended.

Ballyboden won in 2018 and hadn't won a championship for 5 years before that

Yeah it is, Jesus it doesn't feel that long ago that they were always winning. Rest stands though, see clarification above.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Gaelic football is in a GAA led death spiral at this stage.
    Dublin dominance is a symptom of incompetent leadership.
    While its not the fault of Dublin, the influence of Dublin on GAA thinking and planning is wholly disproportionate. The GAA became obsessed with helping Dublin at the start of the millenium and it was only a matter of time before the millions pumped in translated into senior mens, club, u21 and ladies success and/or dominance.

The GAA created a monster and now are unable to tame or reverse the problem. So the death spiral will continue indefinately with falling interest and attendences.

When you financially dope one county above all others you destroy the competitiveness of the sport.

Ye'r like flat earthers!
    Dublin are a professional outfit. Don't think i'm knocking it, it's a credit to you. There's a need to put a huge focus on getting other counties to the same professional level as Dublin

Im from Westmeath!! Dublin are as close to a professional outfit as a gaa team can be but they haven't won anything underage in years. Kerry will top them in the next 2 or 3 years. They have some serious talent coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

It's cyclical

Maybe that shows that minor is a bit more down to graft and a level playing field . Once they get older and get the professional treatment and meals delivered etc they will become part of the machine .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

You're level of ignorance is is simply outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

Why doesn’t barret get a job that’s involves working from home or get a job nearer to Mayo.

Kildare, Meath etc players could easily working in Dublin and have less of a commute than a Dublin player working in Dublin.

It is always someone else’s fault and never yours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,153 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

6 different clubs have won this century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Senior_Hurling_Championship

In Tipperary, six different clubs have won this century:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipperary_Senior_Hurling_Championship

Thurles Sarsfields with 8 have been more dominant than Ballyboden with seven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilkenny_Senior_Hurling_Championship

In Kilkenny it has been seven, with Ballyhale as dominant with seven as Ballyboden in Dublin.

One of the things that most annoys Dublin fans on this forum is the ignorance displayed both about the county team and the clubs within the county. Anyone with a small bit of knowledge about the club hurling scene, or who took five minutes to check wouldn't have posted the above.

If you are going to construct an argument against Dublin, at least get the facts correct, and when it comes to the money, include all the money all of the counties get, and then adjust it per capita.

Advertisement