Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Ok I will answer this jsut because Dublin keep the average age of the panel down over the years does not equate to the maintance of standards.

Conor McHugh is a prime example of this he is 25 - hanging around the squad on the fringes for years.
    He has never really 'done it' at senior level.
    Although the average age of players has been maintained the core of players who play regularly is the same - the same faces are on the bench Kevin Mc, MDM, Philly, Costello, EOG etc

All the above stats were starting 15. Cluxton will be replaced and that will also drastically reduce the average age.

All the subs players you mention are also player who have started AI finals for Dublin, except 25 year old Costello who has come on in the last 4 finals. Meaning those players have been replaced.

There are plenty of Dublin players who hung around the fringes for years and never did it but still got medals. the main point being that their first 15 has consistently had an addition or 2 each year and the player replaced is then a sub before eventually retiring. There are not many teams who end up with POTY of multiple all stars sitting on the bench, sometimes an unused sub too.

In 2016 Kevin McMenamon, Paul Flynn, Bernard Brogan and Diarmuid Connolly started. The following year they were replaced by Con O Callaghan,
    Paul Mannion, Paddy Andrews and Eoghan O Gara. The following year in 2018 O Gara and Andrews were replaced by Scully and Howard. Thats all they need to do. Keep your core, replace the edges, then the core changes and keep the cycle going. The team is not relying on the same main players it was in 2011 or 13. And as the younger players from then grow, they are becoming the core and leaders.

Its a fantastic position to be in and from evidence on previous 9 years fo doing this, I dont see any reason as to why people think this will stop this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

JeffKenna wrote: »
    But Leinster counties play in Croke Park for financial reasons, something the Dublin County board don't have to worry about.

Well then ye can't be complaining then if Dublin are playing too often in Croker. Its an advantage that suits all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

I'm sure people don't have the time or the inclination to go back and wade through the 60+ "Changes in the GAA forum" thread but if you did, you'd see most of the pro- Dublin arguments claiming that the financial doping makes no difference to success have been buried there time and again. That doesn't stop posters churning out the same stuff over and over in a slightly rehashed way though.

This thread has a lot more traction than the stickied one so I'll just copy and paste from a post I made there a few weeks back. Covers most of the important points I like to think.

There's a tendency among the Dubs who claim the current championship is a level playing field to try to deny and obfuscate and lead things off on tangents. It's important to just bring things back to basics and narrow the argument down to the key facts which are as follows:

1. Dublin are over- funded relative to every other county. This funding helps them to win games and titles they wouldn't otherwise win.

2. The games development funding does help the senior side- people age so money spent 15 years ago on development squads etc can be considered a down payment for today. The extra central funding saves Dublin from having to spend their own money on this. Therefore freeing up more funds to spend on their senior sides. Development funds also help to develop elite players at club level, which will generally raise the standard of football played in a county and also bring a select few up to inter- county level.

3. Even accounting for the central funding, Dublin get millions more from their sponsorship partners and from the government. The sponsorship money should be distributed among all counties (this goes for every county, not just Dublin).

4. Dublin have other advantages as well- most obviously population and playing all consequential games at home. Just because they historically did not take full value from these advantages doesn't mean they weren't unfair.

5. Dublin's success is not down to volunteerism or a "golden generation" or any other nonsense. There are new players coming through all the time- take Con O'Callaghan and Brian Howard who were nowhere to be seen at the start of this run and are now crucial. The average age of the starting team has been fairly stagnant- don't be sucked in by arguments about the average age of the squad which is a less accurate reflection. A few years ago, people said it was over when Bernard Brogan and Connolly retired, now it's when Cluxton and Cooper retire. It's laughable- Dublin will continue to dominate no matter what.

6. The Leinster championship is a very useful learning point- the All Ireland series is well on the way to heading the same way as it in terms of being an uncompetitive shambles. All because of Dublin's financial doping and other unfair advantages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Of course it doesnt. It is just diversionary tactics. There was a chart posted earlier in the thread that illustrated the number of titles dublin had won pre-financial doping and then post financial doping. Obviously enough, it was fairly telling.
    The response to it was that they didnt like the title and that the colours used in it were mayo colours. Therefore the chart is biased...That is what you are dealing with...
    To my mind, that kind of stuff should be classed as trolling and treated accordingly - I dont see how it can be classed as anything else. It is totally disingenuous and designed to stifle the discussion and drag it down.

I see you cherry picked my post and failed to mention the exceptional u12 dublin sides that played each other in 2005

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0402/1040302-fenton-mccaffrey-kilkenny/

But the bit you decided to highlight was my comment about the Mayo colours.
    That is some 'Mayo Magic' alright :rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Well then ye can't be complaining then if Dublin are playing too often in Croker. Its an advantage that suits all.

But can you not see this is the issue. Other counties are completely under funded and have to give up that advantage yet Dublin have received millions upon millions extra.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    I am making a number of inter-related points

(1) The core of this team only came together in 2015, just as the core of the great Kerry team only came together in 1978

(2) Dublin's rate of replenishment is below that of their competitors

(3) Focussing on the first team only is misleading because of the nature of the 20-man game. It is actually one of Jim Gavin's tactics to put the young player in from the start as with six replacements they can be replaced if something goes wrong. Better to bring on the older player near the end for experience if in trouble, just as Mayo tried to copy with Andy Moran. So your statistics, while accurate, just aren't relevant.

(4) The average age of the Dublin squad will decrease over the next few years as Cluxton, MacAuley, O'Carroll, Connolly, Brogan, O'Gara, MacManamon, McMahon etc. all retire, but that will mean that the team becomes less effective rather than more effective. The core of 8-10 that I mentioned still have five or six years left, but the likes of Conor McHugh, Colm Basquel, Andrew McGowan etc. just aren't showing enough that they can even fill reliable places on the bench. A 32-year old Dean Rock could be like Andy Moran, coming on the field when the game is already lost because those coming behind aren't good enough.

again, I asked you to point out where I was wrong. I provided stats. If they are wrong, tell me.

Squad average ages. Ok. Average age for the players used, including the bench in All Ireland finals from 2011-2018
    2011- 25.47
    2013 - 25.4
    2015 - 26.82
    2016 - 27.8
    2017 - 27.4
    2018 - 27.7

Hardly earth shattering ages that drastically push it over the edge of a team going past its prime.

The core came together in 2015. 4 seasons ago. And half of the core you mention have another 4 years before they hit 30.

And again, I genuinely dont understand why Dublin fans are running down their up and coming squads. Many of the player you mention that may retire, Brogan, Connolly, O Gara in particular have had little or nothing to do with this years run. Replacing them is hardly going to matter consider they are already effectively replaced.

Why would Dublin replenish their All Ireland winning team at a greater rate than other counties? That would make no sense. they only need to change up a couple of players each year, which they have consistently done and have not deteriorated by doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I get that but my point was missed as usual - initially it was a massive disadvantage for Dublin playing in Croke park.
    The better teams preferred it.
    I lost count of the times I used to say great chance against Kerry in a tight Parnell - but Croke Park will suit Kerry - better players bigger pitch.

None of that is remembered..... by detractors like yourself which is very convenient.

Bigger pitches suits better teams though. Get good and it suits ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Would we be hearing this guff if the Yerras were going for 5 in a row?

Would we f**k, its very edifying :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yup, I was raised on it. But the president of the organisation said I wasn't a true fan of my county for wanting to see the biggest sporting event in the world last year.

Also it's no effort to stream games, at all.

Amazing!

That's got to be the equivalent of the "I don't like the LOI cos I hate the FAI" argument for GAA people.

gaffer91 wrote: »
    3. Even accounting for the central funding, Dublin get millions more from their sponsorship partners and from the government. The sponsorship money should be distributed among all counties (this goes for every county, not just Dublin).

Can I just point out that the money Dublin receives from sponsorship has a direct correlation to the money it receives from development funding. Development funding has improved the Senior team and therefore Dublin's ability to gain sponsorship income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Why don't the other counties simply reallocate the funding away from Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I see you cherry picked my post and failed to mention the exceptional u12 dublin sides that played each other in 2005

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0402/1040302-fenton-mccaffrey-kilkenny/

But the bit you decided to highlight was my comment about the Mayo colours.
    That is some 'Mayo Magic' alright :rolleyes:

Has it not occurred to you that without the level of professional coaching afforded to nobody else, these u12s wouldnt have developed into what they did? They werent born that good. They are however, smack bang in the line of the investment. Their current level only underlines how effective it has been.

Your issue is you are too emotionally involved with the individuals, to realise the reality - those lads dont buck the trend, they are the trend.

I think that GAA revenue generated by a county should remain within a county, that should ensure that Dublin will get an even bigger bite of the pie. Sick of us bankrolling the rest of the country TBH. Bailing out Mayo, building Follys in Cork.

Once we do the same with taxation, there'll be a lot of coughs substantially softened outside the Pale

bruschi wrote: »
    All the above stats were starting 15. Cluxton will be replaced and that will also drastically reduce the average age.
    And Comerford is going to magically become the new Cluxton is he?
    There is bound to be a drop in standard there.
    Cluxton is the flucrum of Dublin's tactics - that has been well documented
    All the subs players you mention are also player who have started AI finals for Dublin, except 25 year old Costello who has come on in the last 4 finals. Meaning those players have been replaced.

The majority of that bench have been there for years Dublin are STILL dependent on them whether they start the game or not
    There are plenty of Dublin players who hung around the fringes for years and never did it but still got medals. the main point being that their first 15 has consistently had an addition or 2 each year and the player replaced is then a sub before eventually retiring. There are not many teams who end up with POTY of multiple all stars sitting on the bench, sometimes an unused sub too.

I am convinced that the Dublin starting 15 is strong but the overall panel has got weaker - where is the new Dublin bench? Bugler is one of the few I have seen.
    In 2016 Kevin McMenamon, Paul Flynn, Bernard Brogan and Diarmuid Connolly started. The following year they were replaced by Con O Callaghan,
    Paul Mannion, Paddy Andrews and Eoghan O Gara. The following year in 2018 O Gara and Andrews were replaced by Scully and Howard. Thats all they need to do. Keep your core, replace the edges, then the core changes and keep the cycle going. The team is not relying on the same main players it was in 2011 or 13. And as the younger players from then grow, they are becoming the core and leaders.

Again, I would argue those 'edges' are getting more diluted - resulting in a weakened core over time.

Its a fantastic position to be in and from evidence on previous 9 years fo doing this, I dont see any reason as to why people think this will stop this year.

I don't think it will stop until the current core are gone - because I have not see the same quality of player coming through as in previous years.
    That Dublin team that won the last u21 final 2017 v Galway was exceptional

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0429/871348-dubs-win-last-u21/

Dublin: E Comerford; D Byrne, C O’Shea, E Murchan; D Monaghan, S McMahon, C Murphy; A Foley, B Howard (0-01); T Fox, A Byrne (1-00), G O’Reilly (0-03); C Basquel (0-02), C O’Callaghan (1-03, 0-02f), D O’Brien (0-02).

There is just not the same level of quality coming through at the moment.

Bambi wrote: »
    I think that GAA revenue generated by a county should remain within a county, that should ensure that Dublin will get an even bigger bite of the pie. Sick of us bankrolling the rest of the country TBH. Bailing out Mayo, building Follys in Cork.

Once we do the same with taxation, there'll be a lot of coughs substantially softened outside the Pale

But sur it was the rest of the country built and paid for Dublin's home ground!

Has it not occurred to you that without the level of professional coaching afforded to nobody else, these u12s wouldnt have developed into what they did? They werent born that good. They are however, smack bang in the line of the investment. Their current level only underlines how effective it has been.

Your issue is you are too emotionally involved with the individuals, to realise the reality - those lads dont buck the trend, they are the trend.

They are an exceptional core group of players - if those Dublin u12 players (2005) were moved to Mayo (and did not emigrate) Mayo would have a few all-ireland's won
    Surely Mayo's coaching would not be that poor to 'ruin' them?
    Or are you saying that Mayo GAA does not know how to coach players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Augme

Augme wrote: »
    The problem is this is the kind of attitude people are up against when trying to have a rationale debate about the situation.

At some point GAA will have to do something, until then the best thing to donas a GAA is switch off and not watch to help quicken the process.

I bet you will still be glued to the final though - willing Kerry on against the evil blue empire.... :D

I've no interest in watching Dublin lose though. If anything it's actually better they win as it will just help confirm the domination they have and advantages and again will only help people realise something needs to change. If Kerry win it will stop that, however it will only be a speedbump along the way to Dublin domination as things stand.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    But sur it was the rest of the country built and paid for Dublin's home ground!

With the change yiz found down the back of the couch in the good room? Parnell is fairly run down. Could do with being spruced up tbh.

Amazing!

That's got to be the equivalent of the "I don't like the LOI cos I hate the FAI" argument for GAA people.

No, it's I don't support it and it's valid as seen by the cronyism and protectionist attitude when issues came up for FAI governance earlier this year.

Would we be hearing this guff if the Yerras were going for 5 in a row?

Would we f**k, its very edifying :)

Probably yes but it hasn't happened so just spitballing really.

• Advertisement

With the change yiz found down the back of the couch in the good room? Parnell is fairly run down. Could do with being spruced up tbh.

Does Parnell still have the same seats from when the Cusack was done up?
    That is what Dubs do they make do - no waste.

Probably yes but it hasn't happened so just spitballing really.

No ya wouldn't not to the same extent - this is an urban rural thing as well.

No, it's I don't support it and it's valid as seen by the cronyism and protectionist attitude when issues came up for FAI governance earlier this year.

You are only codding yourself you still watch the games and still hunt for your free tickets - you are just letting others subsdise you.
    A real protest would be not watching any gaelic games.

It is this your form of half nearly, maybe, sorta, kinda going or 'half' interested?
    You either are or you are not.

But when the FAI is sorted out you will of course darken the door of your local club, yeah?

Until then you're happy enough watching foreign teams an d pumping money into foreign associations?

Are you even trying anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

How many of the Dublin senior team actually work a real job? Guarantee not near as many as any of their main rivals. Shamateurism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I think the dubs should fundraise to do up Parnell park at their own expense like the other counties have to and play all their home games there at reduced attendance. My local club is struggling and doing everything they can to get 55k together to improve their facilities

Bigger pitches suits better teams though. Get good and it suits ya.

But Dublin were not always 'good' - why was it grand when Dublin were loosing in CP most of the time?
    Now suddenly it is not for a cohort - 60% at the last vote in congress - voted to keep Dublin in CP.

I think the dubs should fundraise to do up Parnell park at their own expense like the other counties have to and play all their home games there at reduced attendance. My local club is struggling and doing everything they can to get 55k together to improve their facilities

Surely they can apply for grants? Or do they not know how?

Why would we waste money to spruce up a stdiumn to incure debt and then ensure we get less people through the gates? Is that not the most moronic thing ever spouted on the GAA fora? Also can we not use our billions in sponsorship to do it if we were so inclined?

Remember we tried to buy a plot of land in Templeogue for this exact reason? Or are you just throwing out unfounded nonsense?

What do you people even want anymore other than Dublin to be "less good".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

again, I asked you to point out where I was wrong. I provided stats. If they are wrong, tell me.

Squad average ages. Ok. Average age for the players used, including the bench in All Ireland finals from 2011-2018
    2011- 25.47
    2013 - 25.4
    2015 - 26.82
    2016 - 27.8
    2017 - 27.4
    2018 - 27.7

Hardly earth shattering ages that drastically push it over the edge of a team going past its prime.

The core came together in 2015. 4 seasons ago. And half of the core you mention have another 4 years before they hit 30.

And again, I genuinely dont understand why Dublin fans are running down their up and coming squads. Many of the player you mention that may retire, Brogan, Connolly, O Gara in particular have had little or nothing to do with this years run. Replacing them is hardly going to matter consider they are already effectively replaced.

Why would Dublin replenish their All Ireland winning team at a greater rate than other counties? That would make no sense. they only need to change up a couple of players each year, which they have consistently done and have not deteriorated by doing so.

Accuracy of statistics does not imply relevance.

If I characterised your statistics as wrong then I apologise, but I will not apologise for calling them irrelevant. Starting teams in one match are not of any great import in comparing squad development over time.

As for the rate of replacement, what happened Kerry suddenly in 1986 is likely to happen Dublin in the future if their rate of replacement is below that of their competitors. Age is also not the only factor or signal of a squad that has hung around too long, length of time in squad is probably of even greater importance. Ultimately, hanging on to the greats is what did Kerry, and is what will eventually do Dublin.

As Dublin fans who attend all League games and some O'Byrne and other games, as well as seeing what is happening around the club scene and underage, we are probably much better placed to comment on the up-and-coming generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Why don't the other counties simply reallocate the funding away from Dublin?

When was it ever voted in though?
    It was never brought to congress
    It's the full time staff in the GAA who decide policy
    And surprise, surprise they are all located in?

LastLagoon wrote: »
    How many of the Dublin senior team actually work a real job? Guarantee not near as many as any of their main rivals. Shamateurism

I dunno.

You tell me about how many "real" jobs they have. You're making an accusation. Onus is on you to inform us.

I mean you'd hardly be making it up how would you? That wouldn't be nice or appropriate.

When was it ever voted in though?
    It was never brought to congress
    It's the full time staff in the GAA who decide policy
    And surprise, surprise they are all located in?

GAA HQ is in Dublin in the stadium that they built.

Should the GAA rent office space elsewhere to show a lack of bias?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The ****ing irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Let me Cluxton is a teacher, as is Cillian O'Connor, and Paul Galvin was one too.

Now Jack McCaffrey is a doctor, is that a real job, Cian O'Sullivan is a tax partner, wonder if that is a real job too.

More uninformed drivel.

They are a very educated group and diverse group by all accounts

Cluxton - teacher science I believe
    Comerford - Student

Michael Fitzsimons - was a physio now does Medicine Dr

Philly - has his own company

https://www.vision-net.ie/Company-Info/Fitfood-By-Philly-Mcmahon-Limited-589897

Lowndes - Teacher

Jack Mc - Doctor (I assume you were out there in africa with him volunteering?)

Cian O'Sullivan - tax consultant

I could list the entire team for you but you might prefer to look at this website

https://www.dublingaa.ie/teams/senior-football

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

LOL! An argument lifted straight from the English nationalists driving Brexit!

Surely they can apply for grants? Or do they not know how?

See shows what you know, clubs and counties all over the country have to fund raise to make ends meet
    Why would we waste money to spruce up a stdiumn to incure debt and then ensure we get less people through the gates? Is that not the most moronic thing ever spouted on the GAA fora? Also can we not use our billions in sponsorship to do it if we were so inclined?

Remember we tried to buy a plot of land in Templeogue for this exact reason? Or are you just throwing out unfounded nonsense?

What do you people even want anymore other than Dublin to be "less good".

Yeah why shouldn't they? Mayo played their home game against Donegal to a reduced capacity of 28k. If it's good enough for Mayo why not Dublin

You are absolutely right on this. There is a huge amount of misinformation.

Unfortunately, you are wrong on this, and are in danger of falling for the very pitfall you warned against of confusing speculation with fact.

this is what you said, confusing speculation with facts. I spoke in facts. You are actually talking about speculation.

If I characterised your statistics as wrong then I apologise, but I will not apologise for calling them irrelevant. Starting teams in one match are not of any great import in comparing squad development over time.

I gave facts showing that Dublins team for 9 seasons has not drastically changed in age profile. That is a fact. You are speculating that they no longer will be able to do so, but telling me that the previous 9 years of actual facts are irrelevant and that your speculation will be correct. but yet tell me that I am wrong in trying to use speculation as fact.

I prefer to judge Dublins record and ability on the evidence that has been shown over 9 years. This isnt a 5 in a row dominance, this 7 AI titles in 9 years dominance. I am not speculating here.

I dont see why Jim Gavin, Dublin and its development squad set up and numerous quality players at underage cant keep adding 2 or 3 players each year to an already dominant squad. That is opinion, based on facts over 9 years.

Yeah why shouldn't they? Mayo played their home game against Donegal to a reduced capacity of 28k. If it's good enough for Mayo why not Dublin

It wouldn't bother Dublin playing in Parnell - in fact it will only bother opposition counties. The Dublin clubs would get the majority of tickets - most tickets would not go on general sale - and Dublin's opponents fans would be crying.
    We can't see our county etc etc

You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Saying the Dubs don't have real jobs is a very serious accusation to make. I have always said they are more professional than their rivals but that could apply to many teams. Mayo are more professional than Sligo but doesn't mean they don't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

First post about GAA in this thread and this is the drivel we are subjected to.

Pure shyte

this is what you said, confusing speculation with facts. I spoke in facts. You are actually talking about speculation.

I gave facts showing that Dublins team for 9 seasons has not drastically changed in age profile. That is a fact. You are speculating that they no longer will be able to do so, but telling me that the previous 9 years of actual facts are irrelevant and that your speculation will be correct. but yet tell me that I am wrong in trying to use speculation as fact.

I prefer to judge Dublins record and ability on the evidence that has been shown over 9 years. This isnt a 5 in a row dominance, this 7 AI titles in 9 years dominance. I am not speculating here.

I dont see why Jim Gavin, Dublin and its development squad set up and numerous quality players at underage cant keep adding 2 or 3 players each year to an already dominant squad. That is opinion, based on facts over 9 years.

I disagree you are assuming it is like a computer game and those 'two or three players' are equal to / better than the players they are replacing.

Not to mention the mental makeup of those new players are they lazy, will they knit with team-mates, are they full of themselves, do they get on with other lads?

Also over those 9 years there were successful Dublin u21 teams, minor teams and a junior all-ireland - which are starting to dry up
    Kerry have won five minors recently in a row - Cork won the u20 -this year and Mayo last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Augme

For the people saying this simply down to a golden generation, at how many Dublin titles will Dublin fans start to wonder if it is something more? For example, if Dublin win the next 8 out of 10 championships? 13 out of 15? Or will winning it at that rate simply be down to another golden generation?

I'm curious to know what is the turning point, if there even is one.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Jesus Christ. Do you ever get tired of posting clueless stuff like this?

How many people attended Mayo games this year? And how many attended Dublin games? I reckon the totals wouldn't be too far off similar numbers.

We can't really compare the TV audience because of the GAA deal with SKY meant most Mayo games were behind a paywall, not that Mayo GAA see a red cent from that deal. Its used to pay the salaries of the GAA and also help out the Dublin Games Development Fund, as will no doubt the gate receipts at the Dublin v Mayo semi final.

I disagree you are assuming it is like a computer game and those 'two or three players' are equal to / better than the players they are replacing.

Not to mention the mental makeup of those new players are they lazy, will they knit with team-mates, are they full of themselves, do they get on with other lads?

but again, you are using speculation that they are lazy. Have you seen evidence that Dublin players coming through their underage set up are lazy or full of themselves?

I really dont get this, why are Dublin fans quick to tell us that the upcoming players are no good and this will end. If the up and coming players are not good, then surely that is a serious systematic failure of the GPO coaching program which up to now has been hugely successful.

The new players may work out, they may not. Everyone automatically assumes that the Kerry minors will make it, but at the same time assumes that the Dublin ones wont. Why go either way?

It is speculation to say that either will succeed or fail. It is not speculation to say that Dublin have been hugely successful at doing this very thing for the last 9 years. Therefore it is a reasonable assessment to make that they can keep this going.

to add to your subsequent edit, you dont need to be winning All Irelands at underage to stop production line coming through. Your U20 team this year will add 2 if not 3 quality players to the senior set up that are as good as any U20/21 team from previous years. Thats all that is necessary. The main depth of the squad is there, keep topping it up and the younger players step up to being the key players and it progresses.

Anyway, this may be something to agree to disagree on. Dublin have shown they can keep their team and squad going. I see no reason to believe they cant keep doing so.

Augme wrote: »
    For the people saying this simply down to a golden generation, at how many Dublin titles will Dublin fans start to wonder if it is something more? For example, if Dublin win the next 8 out of 10 championships? 13 out of 15? Or will winning it at that rate simply be down to another golden generation?

I'm curious to know what is the turning point, if there even is one.

The flat earthers don't want to know

488036.jpeg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Saying the Dubs don't have real jobs is a very serious accusation to make. I have always said they are more professional than their rivals but that could apply to many teams. Mayo are more professional than Sligo but doesn't mean they don't work.

I've never made that accusation, but I would like to know what exactly someone like Diarmuid Connolly works at? It seems like the guy can p*ss off to America any time he wants for the big bucks playing over there.
    So what is his full time job does anyone know? Is he unemployed?

Jesus Christ. Do you ever get tired of posting clueless stuff like this?

How many people attended Mayo games this year? And how many attended Dublin games? I reckon the totals wouldn't be too far off similar numbers.

We can't really compare the TV audience because of the GAA deal with SKY meant most Mayo games were behind a paywall, not that Mayo GAA see a red cent from that deal. Its used to pay the salaries of the GAA and also help out the Dublin Games Development Fund, as will no doubt the gate receipts at the Dublin v Mayo semi final.

Ah, you're awake.

Care to link me to the post where I said I put you on ignore.

Also let's not forget:

How have Dublin been handed a free stadium?

Does the financial mismanagement in the likes of Galway and Cork not concern you as it impinges on the association as a whole and means such latent giants like Wicklow and Longford can't win All-Irelands?

I can do this all day.

but again, you are using speculation that they are lazy. Have you seen evidence that Dublin players coming through their underage set up are lazy or full of themselves?

I really dont get this, why are Dublin fans quick to tell us that the upcoming players are no good and this will end. If the up and coming players are not good, then surely that is a serious systematic failure of the GPO coaching program which up to now has been hugely successful.

The new players may work out, they may not. Everyone automatically assumes that the Kerry minors will make it, but at the same time assumes that the Dublin ones wont. Why go either way?

It is speculation to say that either will succeed or fail. It is not speculation to say that Dublin have been hugely successful at doing this very thing for the last 9 years. Therefore it is a reasonable assessment to make that they can keep this going.

You are speculating as much as I am assume these 2 or 3 players will improve or equate to the players that have left.
    I am saying you ate not looking at the other variables.

Anyone who watched those Kerry minors in the flesh know that they were head and shoulders above the rest - incredible bunch.
    They are already showing fruits of thier labour

League title - win 2017 (against the dubs) - runner up this year, and they are now in an AI final.
    They must be doing something right?
    Plus I was at the Donegal v Kerry game - there is some skill in that Kerry side - all they need are a few more 'dogs' and they are easier to find than the skillful lads.

Fellas following the Dubs know the crop coming up does not look like the same quality.
    For example - back in 2017 it was obvious that Con was star in the making there was a buzz about him - wait till you see this fella etc.
    I do not sense the same buzz from the current crop.
    In fact there was deflation how the Dubs imploded despite a big lead against Cork.
    It was described on here as unforgivable at any level.

I've never made that accusation, but I would like to know what exactly someone like Diarmuid Connolly works at? It seems like the guy can p*ss off to America any time he wants for the big bucks playing over there.
    So what is his full time job does anyone know? Is he unemployed?

How is that any of your business?

I work full-time but I'm "p*ssing off" to Japan for 6 weeks in September. Amazing what an employer/employee relationship can work out when it wants to.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement