Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I wonder is that the end of Mickey Harte when the dust settles.

You would think so. But we've said that numerous times over the last 10 years.

Anyway, roll on the final. Peace oot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Forgive me, but what is the actual point being made?

Have we started to do quite well? Hmmmmmmmmmmm... I must have missed the post-Dalo years of Ger Cunningham infused drudgery.

---

So what have to commutes got to do with anything?

That players from certain counties pay a massive toll to train and play. Others don't. It's hard to keep up the amateur ethos like this.

Dublin hurlers have won leinster titles and leagues in the past decade. Cuala have won the club All Ireland. That's something of an improvement from decades of winning nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭n32

some of the people calling for stephen o brien to miss the final would do well to remember a certain diarmuid connolly getting a straight red card rescinded to play in the final in 2011 and if memory serves correctly did he not get off again to play in the 2015 replay against mayo? whats good for the goose is good for the gander

That players from certain counties pay a massive toll to train and play. Others don't. It's hard to keep up the amateur ethos like this.

Yes, and?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Do a bit of reading yourself, start with the below funding information and if you can find any grounds on which to justify such financial disparity, I’m sure everyone would be interested.

https://twitter.com/seanmcgoldrick1/status/1093268753725431808?s=21

Where is the break down of how those funds are used and where they have to be used in Dublin?

Cost of purchase of facilities in Dublin v Longford for example.
    The amount of coaches required for the clubs in Dublin.
    The attempt to get GAA into GAA vast wastelands in Dublin etc etc - which are solely soccer or rugby areas.
    The attempts to keep the GAA alive in Dublin where it is in severe competition with other sports.
    The need for new clubs in Dublin to serve areas of the population that need more etc etc.

Strangely when these figures are listed I never see a break down of costs - it is like when Tony Cascarino in his book detailed the money he was on at the time looked great - but then the amount he had to shell out when he got divorced.
    The money evaporated very quickly and did not look so great after the costs incurred were included.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    Yet more of it. You're funded to over 20 times what they are. Can you not comprehend that. It's like saying a bottom of the grid f1 team should just get on with beating Ferrari and stop their whinging.

`More of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Yes, and?

Ah, so you do get it.
    `More of what?

Denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Your right some players do but that’s the way the country and society in general is going, the developed world is urbanizing and there is nothing sporting bodies can possibly do about it. There is a shift away from the rural life and more movement of people in general. Dublin will obviously be less or pretty much not at all affected by this but there is nothing the GAA can do about it. Some players live work and train close to home and some don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Have we started to do quite well? Hmmmmmmmmmmm... I must have missed the post-Dalo years of Ger Cunningham infused drudgery.

?

Massive strides forward made since 2004 when Offaly beat Dublin by fifteen points or 2005 when Westmeath knocked Dublin out of the Leinster hurling championship.

Dublin hurlers were starting off a much lower base than Dublin footballers so it isn’t as noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

O Brien will play 100 per cent, the GAA are a farce when it comes to appeals, history proves this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Do a bit of reading yourself, start with the below funding information and if you can find any grounds on which to justify such financial disparity, I’m sure everyone would be interested.

https://twitter.com/seanmcgoldrick1/status/1093268753725431808?s=21

If Dublin were still loosing out on All Irelands, you wouldn't bother asking, but they are winning a few more now due to investment. An investment that was playing catch up. It's now caught up. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Mickey Harte will go when he wants. He's not bringing Tyrone 3 championships in a decade and competing every year with a new team to get sacked.

The lack of discipline from the team giving away frees/the goal today was pathetic. Meyler should never be allowed in a Tyrone jersey again.

The lack of mentioning how Peter Harte was not getting involved during the game was a disgrace too. Constantly getting taking out of the ball, even had his hand held during his goal opportunity.

First game thread I've seen people actually say the ref is against Tyrone. That's how bad it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Rather than a great Kerry turn around, isn't it just the case that the extra games caught up with Tyrone and they simply ran out of steam?

Kerry looked utterly clueless in the 1st half, a half like that against Dublin will see the game over by half time.

Tyrone looked dead on their feet in the 2nd half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Mickey Harte will go when he wants. He's not bringing Tyrone 3 championships in a decade and competing every year with a new team to get sacked.

The lack of discipline from the team giving away frees/the goal today was pathetic. Meyler should never be allowed in a Tyrone jersey again.

The lack of mentioning how Peter Harte was not getting involved during the game was a disgrace too. Constantly getting taking out of the ball, even had his hand held during his goal opportunity.

First game thread I've seen people actually say the ref is against Tyrone. That's how bad it was.

Tyrone imploded.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

oh dear, people clearly didn’t read the on thread warnings about pulling this off topic and discussing the funding issue which has its entire own thread!

The link for the thread is below

ANYONE WHO IGNORES THIS AND STARTS DISCUSSING THE DUBLIN “ADVANTAGE” WILL BE BANNED UNTIL THE END OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP

We as a mod team have asked numerous times for this thread not to be taken off topic when there is an entire thread dedicated to it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

There have been a number of posts not within the spirit of friendship that is such a fundamental part of the GAA's ethos.Such unnecessary animosity/hostility will not be tolerated.

Let's all enjoy the lead up to a final involving such age old rivals with a potentially historic five in the row in the mix adding to the intrigue.

There is a thread for discussing any perceived advantages Dublin may have and it should be evident from the thread title that this is not it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057890333

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Says the Kerry man sitting at home hahaha that's what ur up against.

I was there today if you looked at my previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Fann Linn wrote: »
    There was about 50,000 spare today for any Kerry man who wanted them.

And I had one and I brought my father and son with me, will still find it hard to get one and next to impossible to get three

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

You would think so. But we've said that numerous times over the last 10 years.

Anyway, roll on the final. Peace oot!

What do you expect from Tyrone when you are calling for MH's head after losing AI semis or finals? We should be winning then yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Anyway, on a more positive note, wasn’t it wonderful to see Tom Parsons back on the field. The moment of the championship for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭enricoh

Always a good day when tyrone get knocked out, at least it'll be a watchable final now!

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Anyway, on a more positive note, wasn’t it wonderful to see Tom Parsons back on the field. The moment of the championship for me.

Absolutely. Great to see. Great to see him get an ovation when he did from those around me. Once we all stopped booing the Mayo kickouts/frees/sideline balls, of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Personally stood and clapped him into play

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

enricoh wrote: »
    Always a good day when tyrone get knocked out, at least it'll be a watchable final now!

Tyrone played all the direct football in the first half. Kerry were running around like headless chickens and got soft frees to keep them in it.

Unfortunately for MH he no longer has the quality of players he once had so is limited in what he can do.

Same applies to Kerry. I doubt even six or seven of them would have made the team even up to 2015.

They have no defenders anywhere near the standard of the Ó Sés, their midfield depends on a hulking giant, and they have two forwards that are anywhere even close to the Sullivans, Gooch, Galvin, Donaghy, Keane, Sheehan.

As they will discover to their cost on 9/1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Bonniedog wrote: »
    As they will discover to their cost on 9/1

What's happening on the 9th of January?

What do you expect from Tyrone when you are calling for MH's head after losing AI semis or finals? We should be winning then yeah?

What are you on about?

MH is my all-time favourite coach. Revolutionary.

I'm gonna bid adieu to this thread. Too many people too wound up. Including myself. See yiz later. COYBIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

dobman88 wrote: »

My wife takes the christmas tree down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

dobman88 wrote: »

I was using an Americanism DUDE :)

Maybe if it was January you could launch another attack on players and officials and supporters in the darkness, like the last time Dublin met Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

On another note, who dressed Ciaran Whelan and Sean Cavanagh on the Sunday Game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

It's a minor miracle tbh. He and his family have been through an awful lot the last year coping with his recovery. The extent of the work that had to be done on the knee, all the surgeries, etc. have been tough. A few years ago an injury like that would have been undoubtedly career ending. To even see him running again, nevermind out on a football pitch involved in a semi-final is amazing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement