Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Spillane has some balls starting the media frenzy to have poor lickle Stephen play in the final.

The same fker that led the witch hunt against other players, and squirmed today when Joanne put him on the spot over his "puke football" remark. Never meant it apparently!

Back to the black card. People might recall the outrage against Seán Cavanagh. Well, O'Brien did exactly what Cavanagh did - pulled a player down who would have been through on goal with chance to put it in the net or have one of their mullocker defenders drag him down and concede a penalty.

If it was cheating and "unmanly" for Cavanagh then by jaysus it was cheating and unmanly by O'Brien.

Except he wasn’t through on goal...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I wonder will Mickey Harte go now? He's had a good run but relying on long balls into McShane will only get them so far. Probably time for some new thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Spillane has some balls starting the media frenzy to have poor lickle Stephen play in the final.

The same fker that led the witch hunt against other players, and squirmed today when Joanne put him on the spot over his "puke football" remark. Never meant it apparently!

Back to the black card. People might recall the outrage against Seán Cavanagh. Well, O'Brien did exactly what Cavanagh did - pulled a player down who would have been through on goal with chance to put it in the net or have one of their mullocker defenders drag him down and concede a penalty.

If it was cheating and "unmanly" for Cavanagh then by jaysus it was cheating and unmanly by O'Brien.

Except he wasn’t through on goal...

Exactly, McManus was on the edge of the square, the tyrone player was 40m from goal today, he'd have been lucky to kick a point. But why let small things like facts get in the way of ridiculous comparisons...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I wonder will Mickey Harte go now? He's had a good run but relying on long balls into McShane will only get them so far. Probably time for some new thinking.

I hope he stays.

Tyrone under him have only two tactics.

Everyone behind the ball, which any of the top 4 or 5 teams know how to counter, or long ball into McShane that is easily countered with a sweeper.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

threeball wrote:
    Exactly, McManus was on the edge of the square, the tyrone player was 40m from goal today, he'd have been lucky to kick a point. But why let small things like facts get in the way of ridiculous comparisons...

The point is that Spillane leads witch hunts, pops out the rule book etc when it suits his agenda.

That fact is clear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

ClanofLams wrote: »

What’s your point?

If you'd read my post more carefully you'd have seen my point. My point is that (to refer to the post I was answering) to agree with the suggestion that forgone conclusion matches/championships tend to keep attendances down. The specific reference in that post was a question if this was the lowest attendance ever.

I assume it was a bard at Dublin so I gave the example of Kerry's semi-final in 1982 and the 1981 and '82 finals (why on earth do I have to repeat this? - Why didn't you just read my post without feeling the instinct to immediately contradict me?), games which were historically low attendances hardly seen before or since That Kerry team was equally dominant at the time. The point being that even when it's not Dublin this impacts on or at least appears to impact on broader attendances.

The question of loss of money or what constitutes a "disaster" is not for me really. I just commented re- attendances on a direct comparator when a team was dominant as Dublin are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

threeball wrote: »

The black card is a stupid rule. If a player is fouled in the act of scoring it should be a red - the commonly known “professional foul”.

If it’s a cynical foul out the field then yellow all day, and give the yellow card, to many refs don’t, you don’t have to bring a player to the ground for it to be cynical, but you do for it to be a black card.

A black card isn’t the correct sanction for stopping a score, the team gets to make a change and the scoring chance has been negated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Powerhouse wrote: »
    If you'd read my post more carefully you'd have seen my point. My point is that (to refer to the post I was answering) was that forgone conclusion matches tend to keep attendances down. the specific reference in that post was a question if this was the lowest attendance ever.

I gave the example of Kerry's semi-final in 1982 and the 1981 and '82 finals (why on earth do I have to repeat this? - Why didn't you just read my post without feeling the instinct to immediately contradict me?), games which were historically low attendances hardly seen before or since. The point being that even when it's not Dublin this impacts on or at least appears to impact on broader attendances.

The question of loss of money or what constitutes a "disaster" is not for me really. I just commented re- attendances on a direct comparator when a team was dominant as Dublin are now.

As I explained if you had read thoroughly, comparisons to the 80s are meaningless. Double header hurling semi finals were attracting ten thousand at that time. In 1985 semi finals on the same day between Galway and Cork and Offaly and Antrim got a crowd of 8,205.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,917 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The final was always likely going to sell out but no prob now esp with a marquee Pair of the Kingdom vs the Dubs. It will be marketed to **** and then we have the drive for 5 ****e

I think Kerry will give Dublin a game but Dublin will pull away like usual getting the 5 in a row. Its going to sound weird the football final the first Sunday of September

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I'd say the players, fans, media and the entire widespread global GAA community will be devastated by this announcement. For the sake of all the aforementioned, ToBeFrank123, please rethink and reconsider this.

I'm just one of many ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Seadin

As a Kerryman I would be putting my money on Dublin, would be a huge upset if Kerry win.

The only thing is that Kerry will be completely fired up, play out of their skin and wouldn't dare throw in the towel against Dublin. Will that be enough? Probably not to be fair.

That's what all kerry men be like. Pretending they havent a hope but secretely know they can do it. They dont call them the cute hoors for nothing ;) I think if Dublin take Kerry for granted them they be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭munster87

Good win for Kerry today after a poor performance in first half. A first senior all Ireland final for a good few lads. Experience should stand to them over the next few years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

munster87 wrote:
    Good win for Kerry today after a poor performance in first half. A first senior all Ireland final for a good few lads. Experience should stand to them over the next few years.

Tommy Walsh slotted in nicely too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Stoner wrote: »
    The point is that Spillane leads witch hunts, pops out the rule book etc when it suits his agenda.

That fact is clear.

It was Brolly that took hold of the witch hunt after the Cavanagh incident and kicked off on telly.

But dont let that clear fact get in the way.

threeball wrote:

That fact is clear.

Except that's not the point he made at all. He referenced the Cavanagh incident which spillage had nothing to do with. It was brolly. So his post had no "facts" at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

One thing I don't understand about the attendance today is why Croke Park officials were talking about a 60,000 attendance during the week. Surely they've done this often enough that the early information about ticket sales would have shown them that there wasn't a hope in hell of them selling 60,000 tickets. Why create that expectation? It makes todays attendance look even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

rossie1977 wrote: »

Donegal got a last gasp equalizer against them and that was Kerry minus David Moran.

It was Donegal minus Eoin Bán, Paddy McGrath, Neil McGee and the midfield they lost to injury during the game.

threeball wrote:

That fact is clear.
    threeball wrote: »

The black card is a stupid rule. If a player is fouled in the act of scoring it should be a red - the commonly known “professional foul”.

If it’s a cynical foul out the field then yellow all day, and give the yellow card, to many refs don’t, you don’t have to bring a player to the ground for it to be cynical, but you do for it to be a black card.

A black card isn’t the correct sanction for stopping a score, the team gets to make a change and the scoring chance has been negated.

As it's implemented it's incorrect. It should be a sin bin and 50m advancement of the ball. Black card offences inside the 21 should be a penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The Cavanagh and O'Brien incidents were similar. O'Brien stopped a player who was going to go for goal and if you look at it again would have gotten inside the square if kept going or made a pass.

I did not say that Spillane started the Cavanagh thing. But he has been part of Sunday Game campaigns against other players, and now seeks to exonerate a blatant cheater.

Common denominator being Kerry obviously. A county that has ballads about kicking the sh1te out of other teams to win All Irelands!

And they weren't behind the wall with the nasty stuff today, or diving when it suited.

The Cavanagh and O'Brien incidents were similar. O'Brien stopped a player who was going to go for goal and if you look at it again would have gotten inside the square if kept going or made a pass.

I did not say that Spillane started the Cavanagh thing. But he has been part of Sunday Game campaigns against other players, and now seeks to exonerate a blatant cheater.

Common denominator being Kerry obviously. A county that has ballads about kicking the sh1te out of other teams to win All Irelands!

And they weren't behind the wall with the nasty stuff today, or diving when it suited.

They are not even close to being comparable. McManus was clean through on goal, keeper to beat. Tyrone player was at least 40m from goal out near the sideline. Chances of scoring a goal were absolutely minimal. McManus was up around 90% likely to score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The chances of him scoring were considerably less after being rugby tackled by Prince Stephen.

threeball wrote:
    As it's implemented it's incorrect. It should be a sin bin and 50m advancement of the ball. Black card offences inside the 21 should be a penalty

The point was about spillane interfering and pushing his own agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Tyrone did plenty of it too. When Sean O’Shea pushed the Tyrone guy in the first few minutes which resulted in a Kerry free being changed to a throw ball, the Tyrone player stayed down and held his head. Both sides were at it.

On Spillane, he’s obviously biased but there is no inherent contradiction in disliking that side of the game and believing a player shouldn’t miss the All
    Ireland final for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Gachla

Dublin will beat Kerry by 10+ points. It will be a cakewalk. It will bring us all a step closer to ending this farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Are Kerry able to appeal O'Brien's black card against Meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Totally different atmosphere there today compared to the Donegal "super 8" game. It just reinforced my opinion that the super sh!te should be done away with. Back to knock out 1/4 finals. Genuine excitement when Kerry got the goal and when the keeper made the save from the fisted effort soon after.

Contrast that to when Donegal scored their penalty and equalised with pretty much the last kick of the game and it felt like it didnt really matter as they had another bite against Meath to go through.

I dont know what the answer is in future but the super 8s have to go. You cannot beat knockout sport and 1/4 finals should be just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Bonniedog wrote:

Jeez blatant cheater is a bit harsh. He committed a foul and the correct punishment for the incident was dished out. A black card. He'll get off because the Meath one was never a black card. Spillane or not it doesn't make a lot of odds. He's entitled to play because one of his three black cards was incorrectly given. I don't think it's a massive conspiracy started by a lad sitting in an RTE studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Seadin

Gachla wrote: »
    Dublin will beat Kerry by 10+ points. It will be a cakewalk. It will bring us all a step closer to ending this farce.

I bet you it won't. They be less than a score in it and Kerry could win. I remember back to 2013 semi final when Dublin were hot favourites that day and barely won it that day after a very shaky start. I would expect the same the next day. Kerry will be fired up for Dublin. Pressure will be on Dublin to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

Might as well hand the Sam Maguire over to dublin now, save 82000 people turning up in 3 weeks. Major revamp of this needed if it is to be any way competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Gachla

Seadin wrote: »
    I bet you it won't. They be less than a score in it and Kerry could win. I remember back to 2013 semi final when Dublin were hot favourites that day and barely won it that day after a very shaky start. I would expect the same the next day. Kerry will be fired up for Dublin. Pressure will be on Dublin to deliver.

There was Mayo fans on this forum saying something very similar the other day. This won't be close, Dublin will score 4 or 5 goals and will hammer Kerry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement