Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Hard luck yesterday Strabanimal. Were fantastic in the first half. Good year for your u20s, ye’ll be back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

threeball wrote: »
    Apologies I missed Con. Paul is excellent on his day but a bit of a front runner. Needs things going the teams way before he turns it on. He couldn't èven shine against Mullinaneactha when he was needed.

Dean rock, Please, he wouldn't be in the squad never mind the team only for his frees.

Wow, I try not to engage with posts that are utterly stupid, but I’ll make an exception here. Mannions work rate and tackling even back in the corner back position is exceptional. Rock proved when benched this year he had the fight in him to win his place back. I’m glad you accept Con is the best forward in ireland at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think we can all agree the next decade will be a throw up between Kerry and Dublin
    Cant see any other county winning Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

C__MC wrote: »
    I think we can all agree the next decade will be a throw up between Kerry and Dublin
    Cant see any other county winning Sam

Dublín you mean. Kerry haven't a hope in hell of beating Dublin with the way things are currently in the gaa. The final will be a hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Dublín you mean. Kerry haven't a hope in hell of beating Dublin with the way things are currently in the gaa. The final will be a hammering.

Possibly this year but next decade Kerry will get at least 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

As much as Kerry will be up for stopping Dublin, Dublin will be dying to get 5 in a row especially against Kerry. Their is big incentives for both teams but Dublin are far too strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You think you're trolling well as I cringe at you looking for likes bigging up the Dubs. Probably your second team as you have had to move there along with your populace.

Don’t think anyone trolls as well as you. Aren’t you just back from a break?

Delighted it’s a Kerry-Dublin final. Something special about them and if the Dubs are to do five in a row it seems fitting they’ll have to beat Kerry to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Collie D wrote: »
    Don’t think anyone trolls as well as you. Aren’t you just back from a break?

Delighted it’s a Kerry-Dublin final. Something special about them and if the Dubs are to do five in a row it seems fitting they’ll have to beat Kerry to do it.

Trolls as well as me? I've not said anything bad about Kerry at all. Yesterday was one of the worst days for me as a Tyrone fan. I hope Kerry win. The only people on here who can't take abuse are our previous rivals Donegal who can wind up as they please as shown by the person i responded to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭MfMan

C__MC wrote: »
    Possibly this year but next decade Kerry will get at least 3

Not a given. Despite the quality of their forwards, they have a lot to prove (and find) in defence and maybe midfield. Going on yesterday's performance alone, the 2 Spillanes aren't in the same league as their storied antecedents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭robbiezero

MfMan wrote: »
    Not a given. Despite the quality of their forwards, they have a lot to prove (and find) in defence and maybe midfield. Going on yesterday's performance alone, the 2 Spillanes aren't in the same league as their storied antecedents.

Yep. Could just as easily win none.

• Advertisement

munster87 wrote: »
    Hard luck yesterday Strabanimal. Were fantastic in the first half. Good year for your u20s, ye’ll be back again.

Cheers mate. Sickening day for me but I just hope Kerry win and make sure they learn from that first half bossing and makr sure they boss Dublin 2 times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Have to laugh at the attendance yesterday - 33000.

That's really poor. The Hurling finals were miles ahead.

I wonder could the LGFA semi final get a bigger attendance than the mens event for the first time this year?

If it got half the publicity that the mens does, then this is quite possible.

Having said that - there was a 5 hour Q to buy tickets on the website on Wednesday, for Kerry Tyrone... and it barely 1/3rd sold out in the end....WTF...…..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cheers mate. Sickening day for me but I just hope Kerry win and make sure they learn from that first half bossing and makr sure they boss Dublin 2 times over.

Tyrone had their chances yesterday and missed a few goal openings as well which Dublin would take full advantage of. I can see kerry being competitive first 50 mins but eventually the dam will burst. Cork scored 3 goals against this kerry defence and could have had a couple of more. Dublin will create many goal chances and if they take then it could be another hammering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

munster87 wrote: »

Winning a first half is nothing to Dublin 35-50 minutes is the time when Dublin go up through the gears and punish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Personally I'd feel this one Tyrone will be very disappointed with - there was really very little difference between the teams - didn't think Kerry were any great shakes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I wonder could the LGFA semi final get a bigger attendance than the mens event for the first time this year?

If it got half the publicity that the mens does, then this is quite possible.

Having said that - there was a 5 hour Q to buy tickets on the website on Wednesday, for Kerry Tyrone... and it barely 1/3rd sold out in the end....WTF...…..

Well seen as they hand out loadsa free tickets for that to bump up attendances I wouldnt be comparing the two.

There is a few reasons for the poor attendance from a Kerry point of view.

First there is the glut of games, Croke Park yesterday, Navan last Saturday evening and Croke Park 3 weeks ago. Its a lot of time, travel and crucially expense - yesterday cost me €290 and I only had 2 pints:eek: And I'm not really giving out about ticket prices, got 5 tickets for €125 so thats good value in my book.

Secondly, the last week in July, first week in August is the busiest in the tourist trade down here. There was also a load of festivals going on in different towns.

Third there was the ticket fiasco. If you were in a queue for 3 or 4 hours and got nothing, maybe you decided - Fcuk it, I'll save myself a lot of hassle here and watch it in the pub.

Then you have the general malaise about the GAA and the sense that the common club man or woman are only a piece of sh1t on the shoe of the top brass.

Personally I'd feel this one Tyrone will be very disappointed with - there was really very little difference between the teams - didn't think Kerry were any great shakes at all.

Just gotta roll with the punches. What's done is done and Kerry fans are a respectable bunch. We don't go for goal unless we're desperate against good teams. Morgan isn't good enough also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Dublin are going for 5 in a row and as a neutral, I'm completely ambivalent to it all. I honestly dont really care anymore and will struggle to watch the final. I had it on last year too but only watched bits and pieces of it. Despite that, I would have watched most of the other games prior to the final.

Contrast to the hurling when Kilkenny were going for 5 in a row. I couldnt wait for the final. Would they put themselves in the history books? Or would Tipp spoil the party? It was a really exciting build up and eagerly awaited and the final didnt disappoint.

This is a more a case of where football is at in the current time. Dublin are so far ahead and dominant, it is not even entertaining anymore. They are a class side, I dont want to get into financial or advantage talk. An exceptional team of players who can turn it on when they feel like it.

But it is completely and utterly boring. The level of dominance is huge. Kerry may well spoil the party or put it up to them for a while, but I dont think they will. Fantastic if they do,but even if they get a one off result, it wont be sustainable.

Going back to the hurling equivalent, that Kilkenny team was made up of a generation of players with the greatest manager ever. Their downfall was entirely foreseen in so much as their dominance underage in Leinster ended, senior players left and the depth wasnt there. Add in that other counties improved immensely and were competitive.

Sine 2011, Dublin have played 56 championship games, drawing 1 and losing 2, a semi final in '12 to Mayo and in '14 to Donegal. They have won 6 of the last 8 finals and are in another one. They are arguably the greatest team of all time.

But it really doesnt whet the appetite at all. And I'm not sure why. I dont know if it is that the competition isnt there? The aforementioned financial issues? That they really havent been involved in many classic games bar the couple of games against Mayo. It's not Dublins fault that there is no one to match up to them, but it just doenst make it an attractive watch to see one team dominating so much with no signs of it stopping.

The championship is very competitive outside of Dublin, which what makes earlier rounds more exciting and watchable. I hope we get a good final, it would be great to see Kerry beat Dublin to show that it is possible. And considering Kerry werent exactly dominating themselves and had narrow wins over the likes of Cork, Tyrone and drew with Donegal, it would show that it is possible to match up to Dublin too. Again, I think in a one off match, Dublin might get caught out the odd time, but it isnt sustainable long term to match them. Getting them on the hop that one time is hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

If Dublin weren't in it it'd be some championship and very 1990's.

Maybe when splitting the tiers the powers that be can consider having Dublin on their own in tier one, the rest of the pack in tier 2, then the shíte in tier 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

n32 wrote: »
    some of the people calling for stephen o brien to miss the final would do well to remember a certain diarmuid connolly getting a straight red card rescinded to play in the final in 2011 and if memory serves correctly did he not get off again to play in the 2015 replay against mayo? whats good for the goose is good for the gander

Absolutely but doesn't it just show up the hypocrisy of how football deals with or pretends to deal with cynical fouling and general thuggery. O'Brien dragged down a Kerryman in the closing stages of the game and gets Man of the Match too!

No wonder the appeal of the game is fading!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,908 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

BarryD2 wrote: »
    O'Brien dragged down a Kerryman i

He did wha? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

gaffer91 wrote: »
    Absorbing encounter yesterday. Not sure what all the whinging about the ref is about- he had a grand game, wasn't particularly noticeable other than calling off the ball stuff (which he is right to do). Tyrone diving and feigning injury as much as they could but we're used to that at this stage.

Kerry will be no match for Dublin in the final though.

Every time kerry got a scorable free dessie dolan seemed to think it was soft. I thought they were all frees apart from one geaney got when he fell over.
    Kerry keeper nearly got decapitated n was only a yellow in deegans eyes.
    Anyone notice where o brian fouled for his black card and where the free was taken from. I didnt cop was the ball brought forward?
    Its time the refs get the can of shaving foam like in soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

enricoh wrote: »
    Every time kerry got a scorable free dessie dolan seemed to think it was soft. I thought they were all frees apart from one geaney got when he fell over.
    Kerry keeper nearly got decapitated n was only a yellow in deegans eyes.
    Anyone notice where o brian fouled for his black card and where the free was taken from. I didnt cop was the ball brought forward?
    Its time the refs get the can of shaving foam like in soccer.

Dessie Dolan hates Kerry.... every time he commentates on a kerry game his bias agaionst Kerry comes thru very clearly in his analysis....

just wondering as a kerryman myself is there a saint for lost causes we can pray to over the next few weeks that mite b able to do something for us on 1st sept

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Because only one team is going to win. Who wants to attend a 'championship' for runners up?

Kerry will come up, get mauled by Dublin, and leave.

It's going to be like when Kilkenny dominated hurling. A lot of people just gave up on it (myself included and I love hurling far more than football). It got to the stage where I just couldn't be bothered with it.

Like it or not the GAA will have to come up with a credible strategy for all the other counties in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It will be a lot worse than Kilkenny's period of dominance. I probably shouldn't go into the reasons why as they would lock the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

At crucial times yesterday it was the referee, Deegan, who kept Kerry in the game. I’m saying that and I have very little time for Tyrone, but it needs to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Because only one team is going to win. Who wants to attend a 'championship' for runners up?

Kerry will come up, get mauled by Dublin, and leave.

It's going to be like when Kilkenny dominated hurling. A lot of people just gave up on it (myself included and I love hurling far more than football). It got to the stage where I just couldn't be bothered with it.

Like it or not the GAA will have to come up with a credible strategy for all the other counties in football.

So you're suggesting the GAA give favourable treatment to specific counties other than Dublin in order to stop one of the best footballing teams ever seen, managed by one of the greatest managers ever?

That's an absolutely ridiculous comment to be making!

Why can't the counties themselves come up with tactics/players/systems to compete with the Dubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Go to the stickied thread. We're not allowed to address the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

bruschi wrote: »
    Contrast to the hurling when Kilkenny were going for 5 in a row. I couldnt wait for the final. Would they put themselves in the history books? Or would Tipp spoil the party? It was a really exciting build up and eagerly awaited and the final didnt disappoint.

You really can't compare the two. All counties are on their own path and own development.

The comparison here would be if Kerry really put Dublin to the pin of their collar in this year's final and then came back again for a repeat final in 2020. That's when it'd be 2010-esque and I don't think there'd be many who wouldn't be excited for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Go to the stickied thread. We're not allowed to address the issue here.

Only seen that thread now. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement