Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭alps

Find a good milk recorder and you'll never want to see DIY again.
    Are th results accurate or are they as shambolic as the DIY results?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

alps wrote: »

Bf is still off, no matter what way it's done. Milk recorder comes here is good makes sure all metres agitate before sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

What’s the pay like for milk recorders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Find a good milk recorder and you'll never want to see DIY again.
    Mine are spot on but we're old school here with jars, you do.lose out on the froth yield but on the plus side it gives you a realistic yield.
    The pay is ****e, afaik, because they want everyone to move to DIY. You'll never get a recorder if you just ring up the office, you've to ask the recorder directly and then tell the office you have one and that your changing .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭straight

How do you know it's not the co op results that are symbolic. We used to milk 2 herds before on two different farms into one milk account. The results were always identical in both farms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mine are spot on but we're old school here with jars, you do.lose out on the froth yield but on the plus side it gives you a realistic yield.
    The pay is ****e, afaik, because they want everyone to move to DIY. You'll never get a recorder if you just ring up the office, you've to ask the recorder directly and then tell the office you have one and that your changing .

Do you take one or two samples?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭alps

straight wrote: »
    How do you know it's not the co op results that are symbolic. We used to milk 2 herds before on two different farms into one milk account. The results were always identical in both farms.

I've good faith in the consistency of the tanker results, including our own milk analyser.

Our milk recording results are always innacurate in the butterfat reading, ranging from 0.2 to 0.8 under the tank reading of the day..

I'm suspicious about

The accuracy of the drop sample taken at different flow rates
    The agitation of the sample, and the huge inconsistency in agitation time
    The reconstitution of the samples before analysis..(but less so on this)

Quiet frankly I believe that the current eDIY meters are either not of proper standard or are not maintained to proper standard...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭straight

I've good faith in the consistency of the tanker results, including our own milk analyser.

Our milk recording results are always innacurate in the butterfat reading, ranging from 0.2 to 0.8 under the tank reading of the day..

I'm suspicious about

The accuracy of the drop sample taken at different flow rates
    The agitation of the sample, and the huge inconsistency in agitation time
    The reconstitution of the samples before analysis..(but less so on this)

Quiet frankly I believe that the current eDIY meters are either not of proper standard or are not maintained to proper standard...

We use a tech for our recording and we have jars. She agitates every jar before sampling. I know there is no new parlours with jars but we wouldn't be without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

diy readers only take sample in pm, dont think they can be fully accurate

what i always find funny is how similar my results are to previous year, take the snow last year my results were very similar to previous year even though cows were on silage full time instead of grass same in drought

im finding i have huge difference between tankers on liters in collection, have digital dipstick in tank, and i have 3 different lorries come in here and all give me differing amounts in comparison to tank, was told when i complained tankers are calibrated by filling it manually with a hose:) nice saving if they can knock 100 liters of each of us each collection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

what i always find funny is how similar my results are to previous year, take the snow last year my results were very similar to previous year even though cows were on silage full time instead of grass same in drought

im finding i have huge difference between tankers on liters in collection, have digital dipstick in tank, and i have 3 different lorries come in here and all give me differing amounts in comparison to tank, was told when i complained tankers are calibrated by filling it manually with a hose:) nice saving if they can knock 100 liters of each of us each collection

Manual sampling isn't much better, tbh. Half filled in the evening and half filled in the morning even though 40% of milk in the evening and 60% in the morning.

We were set stocked here when we started recording so the cows were getting the same feed in quality and quantity every single day. I used have to ring up the manager and ask why the recording figures were so much lower than the tank figures even though they could see my figures staying constant every single day. Next result and the protein would rise by 0.1%.

Every single year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If you're finding differences in the lorries.
    You need to find out who's on your milk round and see if they also have differences.
    I know this mightnt be easy nowadays as some lorries mix around collections and often don't collect farms near each other but mix it up every few days, deliberately or otherwise but sometimes they can have a set collection and of neighbours.

I had a problem of litres being down on a collection and for luck I was talking to a neighbour and it came up and they were down to. Then that evening at a cemetery patron that neighbour got talking to all the other neighbours and they all were down in the exact same % in milk as normal.
    We all rang the milk manager just after 9 a.m. on the Monday morning. I was the third caller on the matter. So he was forced to look into the matter.
    That evening I saw a van with some company and calibrations on the side of it pass the house. So it seems they indeed had to go the milk haulier and check the lorry.
    To make a short story long we all got our litres back on that collection. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭farisfat

Is their anyone here involved with leasing of dairy cows.It's something I'm thinking of doing with excess heifers.
    Id be thinking of a long term lease.

farisfat wrote: »
    Is their anyone here involved with leasing of dairy cows.It's something I'm thinking of doing with excess heifers.
    Why? I don't see the point really, too many risks and not enough benefits. You're getting tangled up in a dependant relationship unnecessarily which is never wise.
    Just as easy to sell your surplus for now and retain surplus or purchase whenever you need imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting concept. There used to something similar with sheep. Not sure if it was used in this country, certainly in Scotland, where you gave hogget ewes to a starter who then gave you back some of the first years lambs.

Easy to put a first day value and come to a rental. Do you always own and get the cull value?
    Let's say the cows avg 4 lactations. What would the rental be about?
    Who owns the calves?

Castle a starter, wouldn't have to come up with the capital cost. Faris would hope to have a greater return than simple sale.

Water John wrote: »
    Interesting concept. There used to something similar with sheep. Not sure if it was used in this country, certainly in Scotland, where you gave hogget ewes to a starter who then gave you back some of the first years lambs.

Easy to put a first day value and come to a rental. Do you always own and get the cull value?
    Who owns the calves?

Castle a starter, wouldn't have to come up with the capital cost. Faris would hope to have a greater return than simple sale.

Only came across two different lads considering it, one was a bit tight and the the other a dodge, neither worth the risk.

Who owns the calves?

From my research so far yearly lease is 15% to 20% of cow value.
    And after a 5 year lease you'd get the value of the animal you leased or get a cow back of the same lactation with similar ebi.

Only came across two different lads considering it, one was a bit tight and the the other a dodge, neither worth the risk.

Yes anyone that would be looking to lease would be maxed out with the banks.....I was that way not so long ago and I wouldn't consider myself tight or a dodge.

That's an interest only 5 year loan of the cow value at 15/20% interest. Pay the capital back at the end of the loan.
    Cull price would seem more in order at the end.
    Cow €1,500
    Rent €300 x 5 = 1,500
    Cull value 700
    Total €2,200

Why? I don't see the point really, too many risks and not enough benefits. You're getting tangled up in a dependant relationship unnecessarily which is never wise.
    Just as easy to sell your surplus for now and retain surplus or purchase whenever you need imho.

The figures add up if ever thing goes to plan.

If you do what I suggest over a number of years rolling, you in effect would be selling your springer heifers for €2,200.
    I realise a lot of capital is tied up in 5 years of cows but the increased price would make it a good option.

• Advertisement

If you do what I suggest over a number of years rolling, you in effect would be selling your springer heifers for €2,200.
    I realise a lot of capital is tied up in 5 years of cows but the increased price would make it a good option.

Read back on my posts..?..you can add 800 to that figure.

I know, my point is it's an interest rate of 15/20% on your figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Was popular in Nz when I was there, basically 10% of value and if you lease a heifer for two years you get back a in calf cow calving down for her third lactation. Some people would have made good money leasing heifers out for a year then selling them as second calvers without having to touch the animal

Yes anyone that would be looking to lease would be maxed out with the banks.....I was that way not so long ago and I wouldn't consider myself tight or a dodge.
    More talking about their personalities than their finances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We've had a bit of bother with our water pump for the last week. It would cut out and not come back on for some reason but pressing the reset button would sort it for a few days, then every day and then it gave out altogether on Friday evening so I switched over to mains and gave Newcastle West electrical a shout on Saturday morning and they said they would call out Monday if they were able.

Anyway, he arrived this morning and sorted out the switch causing the problem. Great service to come on Sunday when they wouldn't be able to call on Monday. Totally unexpected. They deserve a shout out, I think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭visatorro

How do the newer milk tanks measure volume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Know of heifers being leased out 10% of heifer value ussualy 1500. End of lease farmer need to return animal of similar ebi breed as initial animal . So pretty much much you lease of out a first lactation animal recieve 150 euros in lease fees per animal per year and when the lease finnished you receive an incalf heifer. World of warning need to have a independent middle man to keep things right and fair in these arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

We've had a bit of bother with our water pump for the last week. It would cut out and not come back on for some reason but pressing the reset button would sort it for a few days, then every day and then it gave out altogether on Friday evening so I switched over to mains and gave Newcastle West electrical a shout on Saturday morning and they said they would call out Monday if they were able.

Anyway, he arrived this morning and sorted out the switch causing the problem. Great service to come on Sunday when they wouldn't be able to call on Monday. Totally unexpected. They deserve a shout out, I think:)
    I have a few switches in reserve, their easy to change if that's the problem, spare capacitors also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

visatorro wrote: »
    How do the newer milk tanks measure volume?

the back of the tank has a markings for height and in the front there is a probe which rises as the tank fills. calibration chart gives measurements at both front and back of tank to give liters, all tanks calibrated in factory before arriving on site to avoid any confusion with slope on floor

out on the continent bulk tank driver takes print out from tank instead of getting it from the processor lorry

• Advertisement

The 10% there lads seems much more in order. Similar in calf heifer back or the €1,500 in year 3-5 would seem reasonable.
    Basically loan at 10%. Similar to P2P financing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement